Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, pardon me for sounding totally ignorant, but is there anything wrong with "crossplot junk"? I'm still intrigued by Robotics;Notes... :???:
I never said it was bad, I just said that it killed my interest in it. I would've thought that a show about kids trying to build a robot would be a ton of fun, and they could still have subplots, even with a rival group or something, but then I found out about the secret file, or something, and I was just thinking "no thank you"

Actually, anime (In Japanese) is rarely produced in 5.1 because it's generally assumed most consumers won't be able to take advantage of it due to the average size of a Japanese living space. There was a great piece on this on Anime News Network's Answerman column recently.

If anybody has a Books-a-Million near you, they are having a B2G1 Free book sale and it includes manga. Not all manga, as Negima and Pokemon Adventures was not included, but I saw a number of SJ mangas as part of the deal.

Just got the S.A.V.E editions for Strike Witches and the reversible cover is excellent. It's the normal cover.

Huh, I guess I always just assumed that surround sound wasn't as big a deal overseas as it is in the US. Although given the choice between buying a $400 set locally or (reverse) importing a $40 set, you'd have to be a fool to let stereo sound be a dealbreaker.

In regards to those UK Gurren Lagann sets I mentioned earlier, there's still no images but there's at least a description as to what is different between the two sets. The regular one is just the TV series, the Ultimate has "Parallel Works, OVA Ep.5.5 My Gurren is Shiny!! (included in DS Game Soft Gurren Lagann ), SAZIGEN 3DCG Test Animation Footage, TV Textless Openings and Endings,"

I think I'd be happier with the $65.
The Ultimate version also has the two movies, which are worth it right there.

$120ish to import... should I assume the release isn't region free though?

The Ultimate version also has the two movies, which are worth it right there.

$120ish to import... should I assume the release isn't region free though?
Oops, I forgot to add that back in when I switched to copying and pasting the description. And yeah, there's almost no chance of it being region free.

Aren't the movies just recaps though? If you want everything, then the ultimate set is a great deal. I just don't think that I'd ever buy two recap movies and a handful of extras for $65.

I just got in Nyan Koi (Blu w/new dub) from the Best Buy sale...in a thin grey plastic envelope. No padding whatsoever, just simple luck that it wasn't damaged. It was charity that I gave them the sale instead of Amazon's price-match but I might not do it again.

I already had other titles of interest from equivalent earlier sales, such as Mysterious Girlfriend X, Dusk Maiden, etc.

I just got in Nyan Koi (Blu w/new dub) from the Best Buy sale...in a thin grey plastic envelope. No padding whatsoever, just simple luck that it wasn't damaged. It was charity that I gave them the sale instead of Amazon's price-match but I might not do it again.

I already had other titles of interest from equivalent earlier sales, such as Mysterious Girlfriend X, Dusk Maiden, etc.
That's how BB ships the majority of their blus/dvds to me.

Just got the S.A.V.E editions for Strike Witches and the reversible cover is excellent. It's the normal cover.
This is music to my ears, now I just have to hope it arrives today along with Aria, also got the confirmation that my order of the Girls und Panzer OVA bd set was shipped out to me this morning.

Actually, anime (In Japanese) is rarely produced in 5.1 because it's generally assumed most consumers won't be able to take advantage of it due to the average size of a Japanese living space. There was a great piece on this on Anime News Network's Answerman column recently.
Could you please provide a link to this article?

Well, you guys convinced me to throw the extra money at the limited edition set. If nothing else it'll be nice to get something I haven't seen already ;-)
Is that the limited edition set with the ugly binder like packaging? That really bugged me when I saw at the Aniplex booth during Otakon.

EDIT: Scratch that. I saw he meant the UK version.

In other news, Katsucon is this weekend and with it being my first one I'm actually not too excited about it. It's the week of the con, we have no schedule yet, and I doubt they will even have a guidebook schedule (which would make life so much easier). At this point if I didn't pay for the membership and obligated myself to go with my friends, I would have likely bailed by now. It just seems really unorganized. I guess I'll report back on Sunday to tell you all how it went.

In other news, Katsucon is this weekend and with it being my first one I'm actually not too excited about it. It's the week of the con, we have no schedule yet, and I doubt they will even have a guidebook schedule (which would make life so much easier). At this point if I didn't pay for the membership and obligated myself to go with my friends, I would have likely bailed by now. It just seems really unorganized. I guess I'll report back on Sunday to tell you all how it went.
#cantsukon :whee:

For those looking for a region free player, Amazon is currently selling multi-region Sony BDP-S5100 3D blu-ray players for 106.53. This is an awesome price for a multi-region player by a major manufacturer and direct from Amazon. The BDP-S5100 also has great reviews and is considered one of the best streamers. It's temporarily out of stock, but it can still be ordered for fulfillment once they get more in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00CS5HAG2/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Thanks for posting that link. I've been using the Seiki one for awhile, but I question its long term durability. $100 for a Sony one is a great deal so I ordered one. I'll keep it as a backup until my other one craps out (or until I put its terrible remote in the microwave and bury the melted plastic). :D
Have any of you who bought one of these tested it out yet? I saw it dropped to $96.xx and was thinking of picking one up to back up and/or replace my Seiki, but I saw it mentioned in the "questions about this item" section that the cheaper amazon version is region locked. Figured I'd ask here first before I pulled the trigger.

Have any of you who bought one of these tested it out yet? I saw it dropped to $96.xx and was thinking of picking one up to back up and/or replace my Seiki, but I saw it mentioned in the "questions about this item" section that the cheaper amazon version is region locked. Figured I'd ask here first before I pulled the trigger.
I've purchased one, but it hasn't shipped yet. I saw the discussions you're referring to and others are indicating that the users may not be aware that the regions need to be changed via the remote for it to work. Also, I saw a post on AVS where the a user said the BDP-S5100 he ordered from Amazon was multi-region. I'll post an update when mine arrives. If it's not a multi-region player, I'll simply send it back.

How was the Dragon Ball Z Bluray release? I see Amazon has S2 and S3 preorder the cheapest but they don't have S1 due to come complaints.

I've purchased one, but it hasn't shipped yet. I saw the discussions you're referring to and others are indicating that the users may not be aware that the regions need to be changed via the remote for it to work. Also, I saw a post on AVS where the a user said the BDP-S5100 he ordered from Amazon was multi-region. I'll post an update when mine arrives. If it's not a multi-region player, I'll simply send it back.
Same. The order I made said it'll be here mid March or so. They have the non-region free version on Amazon in stock for $78. There has to be some difference for the $20-30 extra. If it isn't, I'll send it back, since it's not the right item.

Some of my blurays have come in

9vmvl4V.jpg

vZr0EyA.jpg

I'm not going to be hung over the fact that the DBZ blurays are going to be "cropped." It's hilarious how they complain about "detail" when it amounts to an insignificant background or cut costume. This isn't the type of show to have visual gags at pan and scan. $17 for 33 remastered episodes is a crazy fuck ing deal.

Same. The order I made said it'll be here mid March or so. They have the non-region free version on Amazon in stock for $78. There has to be some difference for the $20-30 extra. If it isn't, I'll send it back, since it's not the right item.
Ditto. Though I would like to add a bit of wisdom I picked up some time ago:

You can never have too many multi-region players.

Can someone tell me if the samurai champloo blu ray box set is the same video quality as the newer released anime classic on blu ray?
The Anime Classics set uses the same AVC 1080p upconvert that the old yellow box set used. I don't have the info handy, but I'm fairly certain that the Anime Classics set uses the same discs as the older box set. Unless, of course, you're talking about some other set I'm not familiar with.

The lack of grain is my favorite thing. Unless you are someone that must have the dragon boxes, the new blu releases are awesome. I can deal with the cropping, the audio quality is great, they're releasing them at a great value, and the video quality is great.

The lack of grain is my favorite thing. Unless you are someone that must have the dragon boxes, the new blu releases are awesome. I can deal with the cropping, the audio quality is great, they're releasing them at a great value, and the video quality is great.
Yeah, from what I've watched it looks really nice and the cropping hasn't bothered me at all yet, I will definitely pick up the series in this format since the price is right.

what time should i head over to watch them :)

now the hard part, what to watch first
it's not to hard

wagnaria 2

strike 1

strike 2

btoom

casshan

nyan koi

say i love you

angel beats

aka from worst to best so it keeps getting better the whole way instead of worse.

Note: I haven't seen the first 5 all the way through... wagnaria 2 I won't watch because the red/orange hair girls is one of my least favorite characters in all of anime period (which is a shame because I actually kind of liked the cast until she was introduced... and in fact would likely enjoy the series if she wasn't in it at all), strike - casshan didn't impress me with the first few eps I watched. the last 3 are rather fun and it's a close match between nyan and say for me, but angel beats is easily the stand out in the list.

Why can't I find DBZ Season 1 blu anywhere expect Best Buy which is backordered and Amazon which is out of stock due to errors. Best Buy has a good price too at $25. Shockingly, I don't even see it listed on Walmart or Target.

Why can't I find DBZ Season 1 blu anywhere expect Best Buy which is backordered and Amazon which is out of stock due to errors. Best Buy has a good price too at $25. Shockingly, I don't even see it listed on Walmart or Target.
It's just under review on Amazon probably due to a few people complaining about getting it damaged(most likely due to Amazon's poor packaging). Give it a couple weeks and it'll probably be back up.

It is kinda weird that even Right Stuf is out of it though.

Does anyone ever buy anime from PSN / Sony Entertainment Network?

It seems somewhat convenient, except for a few oddities.

Is stuff usually censored? Like I saw Highschool DxD on there, but I'm not sure how to tell if it's the censored version or not.

It sucks that you can't purchase HD on the Vita? So it seems you have to purchase HD somewhere else and then transfer to Vita where it will downsample it.

Sometimes it also seems like they have one season subbed, and the next dubbed. Which is also kind of quirky.

I get that the Vita isn't quite "HD", but it sucks you can't buy the HD to just have it for other devices like Sony TV's, PS3/PS4, etc.

Finally, am I understanding correctly that for many devices you need to pay for Video Unlimited to access your content on something like a non-Sony Android smartphone? Kinda lame.

It seems somewhat convenient, except for a few oddities.

Is stuff usually censored? Like I saw Highschool DxD on there, but I'm not sure how to tell if it's the censored version or not.
I've bought FREEZING on the psn store when it was on sale for $1 an episode and it was uncensored

Honestly, I think most of the time they sub something they toss it up there so if it's somewhat recent, it's probably the broadcast version. If it's dubbed, it's likely the unedited version. I never bought any video from PSN but there never seemed like there was any reason to since the DVD/Blu versions (via sales) or legal streams is cheaper for trying out a series then a video rental/streaming service like PSN.

Oh, and those "rules" for videos just suck. I'd just say ditch 'em

Honestly, I think most of the time they sub something they toss it up there so if it's somewhat recent, it's probably the broadcast version. If it's dubbed, it's likely the unedited version. I never bought any video from PSN but there never seemed like there was any reason to since the DVD/Blu versions (via sales) or legal streams is cheaper for trying out a series then a video rental/streaming service like PSN.

Oh, and those "rules" for videos just suck. I'd just say ditch 'em
True enough. All video media is so restrictive if you want to actually purchase and support it, it's very annoying. I was talking more about buying the episodes and downloading than renting/streaming.

I use my Vita quite a bit, so I was just thinking it'd be handy to download a copy to it rather than fighting with content manager, decryption, ripping, and transcoding.

If you find a sale, Blu's are certainly cheap enough. It just sucks that I can only (easily) play it on my PS3/PS4. Can't throw it on a tablet for a exercise bike ride at the gym, etc.

I long for the day the DRM free revolution that graced music hits other media.

Thanks for the input!

A little annoyed that Rightstuf raised the prices of Is this a Zombie and Eureka Seven preorders the day I go to order them. (This was a couple days ago.)  Guess I'll wait til a sale.

bread's done
Back