Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone that got the Shana S1 S.A.V.E. set, is it just one of those packs like Black Lagoon S1/S2 & Sekirei S1/S2 DVD/BR sets? Where they shove all the discs into one big bloated blue case?
Yup. It's the exact same set that was originally released, except trading a slipcover for a green bar.

I miss the days when they would split up the combo packs for the re-release.

I've heard penguindrum has a horrendous sub and the dub is meh can any one give any insight?
The dub is indeed meh, but the sub issues have been *greatly* over-exaggerated. It's the only release that Penguindrum is going to get, though, and the show is SO DAMN GOOD that you should overlook the faults and buy it anyways.

But, this is coming from you, KL, so other people might think the dub is decent?  I'm not trying to push any buttons, I'm just curious.  I looked up who's in the dub, and I know/like most of the VAs.  Illich Guardiola is a guy I like a lot, even though he over enunciates EVERYTHING!

over all i say yes. i just watch it not to long ago and enjoyed it very much for the most part.

just remember this you will hear it alot.
stage fright go away this is my big day
I agree. I just bought it from amazon a couple of months ago. It brought back a lot of good memories from when I was a kid and for the amount of content you get, the price is great.

Slightly off topic, but does anybody want me to do anything different with the OP?  

Don't know how many of you even look at it, but I do generally leave it as reference instead of updating every time there is a sale.

I find on general threads like this, that I never really look at the first post.  With the notification system, generally you just see users posting "updated first post" which could just as easily have been put in their current post.  If it's a wiki post, then it gets updated without notifications at all which is even worse.

Although we all treat this as a general discussion thread a lot of the time, I don't think it's as unwieldy as some of the other megathreads that need these sorts of things. 

Got my K-on season 2 set and Heaven's Memo Pad from the Fry's sale in today. Ordered with Free shipping and came in a bubble mailer though undamaged. Now to hunt down K-on season 1 somewhere~

As far as the OP goes, I think it is fine as is unless you want to add a testimonial for RAC or something. I have only ordered once from them a few weeks ago when they had a coupon to get some NISA sets.

They came in a box with packing peanuts though they did not have the large insert/wrapping RS has to protect the corners though the items were undamaged. 

Confession time: I have zero knowledge of and experience with the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure universe, yet all the positive things I'm hearing about the recently-debuted Stardust Crusaders is encouraging me to take the plunge.

What's a good--preferably cheap, if not free--way to get started with the series, whether in manga or anime format?

I hope Walmart drops DBZ Blu's of S4 and S5 to around $18 like they did with the past two.
Those releases came out at those prices, so it's unlikely it's going to drop lower than they are right now.

Walmart prices on anime tend to just release at the low price when they get listed on the site, so if it's not that price out of the game it rare it ever drops down in price, less a temporary sale price, or them trying to ditch overstock.

Got my K-on season 2 set and Heaven's Memo Pad from the Fry's sale in today. Ordered with Free shipping and came in a bubble mailer though undamaged. Now to hunt down K-on season 1 somewhere~
my second order should be here monday with canaan, kurenai, fate stay night, shigofumi, my first order with memo pad and penguindrum is backordered :(

Those releases came out at those prices, so it's unlikely it's going to drop lower than they are right now.

Walmart prices on anime tend to just release at the low price when they get listed on the site, so if it's not that price out of the game it rare it ever drops down in price, less a temporary sale price, or them trying to ditch overstock.
you can't forget when they sell their damaged goods as packages either. it was awesome picking up fma brotherhood for $40 for the whole series like a week after the last part released due to walmart selling them in 3 sets of slightly damaged goods (someone didn't know how to open up a pallet properly as the edges had been cut through lol)

my second order should be here monday with canaan, kurenai, fate stay night, shigofumi, my first order with memo pad and penguindrum is backordered :(

you can't forget when they sell their damaged goods as packages either. it was awesome picking up fma brotherhood for $40 for the whole series like a week after the last part released due to walmart selling them in 3 sets of slightly damaged goods (someone didn't know how to open up a pallet properly as the edges had been cut through lol)
I don't think Walmart ships anything not in a polymailer, so most of my things that weren't damaged goods prior to shipping usually arrive damaged anyways. XD

So gentlemen...

Is Robotech worth getting? The $40 deal on Amazon for the full series + movies seems like a pretty great deal.
Still to this day, Robotech is one of my favorite anime titles. People unfairly bash Carl Macek to no end for his method of bringing anime to the United States, but he truly fashioned one of the most epic sci-fi shows of all time with Robotech.

Confession time: I have zero knowledge of and experience with the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure universe, yet all the positive things I'm hearing about the recently-debuted Stardust Crusaders is encouraging me to take the plunge.

What's a good--preferably cheap, if not free--way to get started with the series, whether in manga or anime format?
I started watching Jojo last year thanks to two friends of mine. It's a bit goofy at first, but once you start to get used to the way the series flows, it gradually starts to become more entertaining. The manga and new anime are divided in parts, and each part usually goes over a different Jojo (basically a person that is related to the Joestar family -- the protagonist's family in some way). I'd highly recommend the anime more than anything as the original manga is pretty old and from what I've heard only Stardust Crusaders was in print in the States. The previous parts were apparently held back because the manga author likes to use celebrity names for some of the characters which causes licensing issues. (In the upcoming Jojo game on PS3, I believe they are renaming some of the characters due to this too).

Stardust Crusaders is without the doubt the most popular Jojo part by far, and you can start on that without watching the previous two parts if you'd like... but to fill in all of the gaps from part 3's villain, you probably would want to see parts 1 & 2 first. Part 1 is kind of slow but is thankfully short while part 2 has a way more upbeat Jojo which is my opinion was way better.

The anime was just brought onto Crunchyroll a few weeks ago with all of the episodes, so you can watch all now for free! :D http://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure Enjoy.

EDIT: I see Crunchyroll is/will be translating the manga too so you have the best of both worlds now. Although, the new anime is very fateful to the source material... but its up to you. =)

Thanks for all the recommendations. Ordered Robotech yesterday!
watch the tv series first before you watch the movie. the movie takes place after the show and makes more sense and i think makes the movie more enjoyable. the 2nd movie i did not like to much its just a recap of the show for the most part.

Thanks for the tip! Got my local Fry's to also PM Walmart.com. Got the Robotics;Notes Part 1 LE for $19.99 :D Also picked up Xam'd for $21.99.

Any of you guys took the plunge and bought the new Ranma Blu-rays? I'm going to hold out for a Viz sale from TRSI but just want opinions about the release. The whole limited edition label makes me feel like I should get it soon, but I don't want to pay more than $40 for it.

Any of you guys took the plunge and bought the new Ranma Blu-rays? I'm going to hold out for a Viz sale from TRSI but just want opinions about the release. The whole limited edition label makes me feel like I should get it soon, but I don't want to pay more than $40 for it.
I have it but didn't get to watch it yet. They did a good job on the chipboard case that holds the set. The set is $39.99 at Right Stuf http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=782009243274

About JoJo:  I didn't think the pre-Stardust stuff was held back due to licensing of names.  Startdust also has a ton of band names, which they get around, and they did release Bastard which has similar issues.  But the art is much rougher early on, and Stardust is much more of a team up/battle manga than the previous arcs, so I figured Viz thought that would be the most appealing (it was also the only one that got previous exposure in the states, with the OAVs and the fighting game).

Wanted to echo some of the comments regarding the Ranma Season 1 set. The box is fantastic and I'm glad they're continuing with the boxes for the next set. The video quality was what impressed me the most about the set, though. I guess I'd just grown accustomed to inferior transfers for older anime, but the video looks superb and is a fantastic transfer for such an old series. If you're at all a fan of the show I think it's well worth it. I got it at release from Right Stuf for the same $39.99 it's going for right now.

As an aside, thanks for the heads up about the Set 2 for Ranma. Instant sale at that price from me!

Thanks for the feedback about the Ranma set. I've only watched the first handful of episodes and a couple of the later ones years ago despite knowing practically all of the characters and their quirks from playing the SNES fighting game and the fact that it was one of the most popular anime series when I was in the seventh grade (before anime got mainstream due to DBZ and Sailor Moon in the States). I'll buy this some time down the line and hope the box is still going to be available and future reprints won't just feature the discs in the blue casing. TRSI is bound to have a Viz studio sale where, if my calculations are correct, the set will drop to $32. Price is not really an issue for me, but rather, the question of where I'm going to put it is. I've got no shelf space... Ah, such first world problems.

Came in today.

BlSAL1dCcAALzYS.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Funimation sure know how to protect their products.

This package only had Fairy Tail Phoenix Priestess inside, and there was a ton of packing paper inside too, and probably the longest packing slip I've ever seen for a single item.

Funimation online store sale.

I like how Attack on Titan Funi LE is exclusively excluded in the fine print.

Note: Code does work with pre-orders, with the exception of Attack on Titan Funi LE.

A couple of recommendations are the Deadman Wonderland blu/dvd release, the Eureka Seven Part One LE, and for those who don't have it pre-ordered at Rightstuf back when it was $20.99, the Eva 3.33 blu, you can get it for the same price with this sale (albeit there is no release date for it just yet).

Just won an auction on ebay for actual non-bootleg copies of Gundam 00 Season 1 & 2 complete new and unopened for about $56 ($58 after shipping). I'm not even sure if I paid too much or not, but considering how Gundam box sets have been skyrocketing in price the deal seemed too good to pass on. 

I noted it specifically now in the post so there is no confusion. ^__^
I noticed many of the preorders have a special edition for a few bucks more, but nothing on the product page tells me what's so special about the special edition; is there a difference between the special and standard or are they just trying to make a quick 5 bucks?

I noticed many of the preorders have a special edition for a few bucks more, but nothing on the product page tells me what's so special about the special edition; is there a difference between the special and standard or are they just trying to make a quick 5 bucks?
Only difference is you get a cheaply made chipboard box.
Although on occasion a few of them will have an "artbook" inside too, but most of them don't, so just the chipboard box for the most part.

bread's done
Back