Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to get around to watching Seed. It's the only Gundam series that's in English that I've yet to watch--excluding Unicorn. Between it, Destiny, and the movie, there is an ass load of content there.
Not sure if you read our previous convos on here but the general consensus was to skip Destiny and the SEED/Destiny Movies. The Movies are mediocre at best, a waste of money and aren't necessary like Endless Waltz. Destiny is a terrible anime that has no business being called Gundam. This is just going off of what everyone on here said when I started collecting about a month ago.

Now I'm gonna start my Unicorn collection which will take longer since the price on these puppies isn't exactly what you would call cheap. I also need to find time to get the Miller Report for 08th MS Team.

Don't know what other series to collect in the Gundamverse. If I do get a nice bonus for Christmas I'll pick up Zeta. The original MSG is getting remastered this upcoming year. G while easy to obtain does not look to be a favorite series and 00 again easy to find is filled with tons of bootlegs.

Not sure if you read our previous convos on here but the general consensus was to skip Destiny and the SEED/Destiny Movies. The Movies are mediocre at best, a waste of money and aren't necessary like Endless Waltz. Destiny is a terrible anime that has no business being called Gundam. This is just going off of what everyone on here said when I started collecting about a month ago.

Now I'm gonna start my Unicorn collection which will take longer since the price on these puppies isn't exactly what you would call cheap. I also need to find time to get the Miller Report for 08th MS Team.

Don't know what other series to collect in the Gundamverse. If I do get a nice bonus for Christmas I'll pick up Zeta. The original MSG is getting remastered this upcoming year. G while easy to obtain does not look to be a favorite series and 00 again easy to find is filled with tons of bootlegs.
They all have their own quirks and are worthwhile in their own way. If you haven't seen G, then you are doing yourself a disservice. I mean, it's Gundam Ball Z. It's ridiculous and a lot of fun. I already have the entirety of Seed--just missing Uni 5-7 to polish off what's released in English. It will suck if Destiny is all that bad, but it is a direct sequel, so I will definitely need to watch it after I watch the first part.

Despite all the hate G Gundam apparently gets, it's still one of my favorite Gundam series out there.

Don't forget about Super Asia. 

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSHfJuGzUdM[/media]

And Shining Finger!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZpa9RF9aj4[/media]

Plus, that first opening! I can still sing the entire thing in my head right now. fuck it, that's getting thrown on YouTube, actually. Shining Finger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdOceSVCJb0

They all have their own quirks and are worthwhile in their own way. If you haven't seen G, then you are doing your self a disservice. I mean, it Gundam Ball Z. It's ridiculous and a lot of fun. I already have the entirety of Seed--just missing Uni 5-7 to polish off what's released in English. It will suck if Destiny is all that bad, but it is a direct sequel, so I will definitely need to watch it after I watch the first part.
I guess I'll have to give it a try. I just don't think a shounen esque gundam would work. I guess I'l be proved wrong.

I don't have any of the Uni volumes but if there are 4 at 25 a piece that is quite the collecting I would have to do.

Destiny while a direct sequel takes everything you know and throws it out the window. Tons of plot holes and bad characterization. Everyone on here recommended that I skip out on it. Probably will.

I guess I'll have to give it a try. I just don't think a shounen esque gundam would work. I guess I'l be proved wrong.

I don't have any of the Uni volumes but if there are 7 at 25 a piece that is quite the collecting I would have to do.

Destiny while a direct sequel takes everything you know and throws it out the window. Tons of plot holes and bad characterization. Everyone on here recommended that I skip out on it. Probably will.
Please do show me a place to get Uni for $25 a piece. That's half price or less lol.

Righstuf DVDs are about 22 each for 1-4. We are talking about Unicorn correct? I'm not going to pay for overpriced blu rays that have 1 episode or less.
Ah, short of Japanese only releases, I won't buy a DVD version when a Blu-ray exists--just feels like a waste of money to me. So there is the difference lol.

Ah, short of Japanese only releases, I won't buy a DVD version when a Blu-ray exists--just feels like a waste of money to me. So there is the difference lol.
I normally get Blu Ray for everything because more or less they are equal in price for Funi releases so why not get a better quality title. However, the Unicorn BluRays are extremely expensive for only 1 episode. If it was more I'd be down to buy it but when you're getting 1 episode and there are 7 that is a lot. Not like you can buy them anywhere else because everyone is bootlegging these puppies on eBay so there is no way you can score anything.

I want to see how much the original Mobile Suit Gundam collection on blu ray is going to cost. Hopefully not as expensive as this,

Unicorn is better to get on DVD. The quality is still extremely high and you get 2 episodes per disc (sans Part 4) at a fraction of the price.

As for the MSG Blu-rays, consider this: the SEED and SEED Destiny Blu-ray sets were $400-$500, and as popular as the Cosmic Era is in Japan, MSG is still king.

As for Destiny, there are some good things about it, but there are numerous plot holes, Athrun is the only character who uses actual logic, and the final 10 episodes are just painful.

Bought it and haven't watched it yet. Probably not worth owning, but the slip cover is pretty lol
It's made by Gonzo,so I wouldn't have high hopes for it.

Unicorn is better to get on DVD. The quality is still extremely high and you get 2 episodes per disc (sans Part 4) at a fraction of the price.
It's not even worth it with what their charging. Honestly the upgrade for anime in general isn't really worth it most of the time.

As for the MSG Blu-rays, consider this: the SEED and SEED Destiny Blu-ray sets were $400-$500, and as popular as the Cosmic Era is in Japan, MSG is still king.

As for Destiny, there are some good things about it, but there are numerous plot holes, Athrun is the only character who uses actual logic, and the final 10 episodes are just painful.
Nukem how much do you think the MGS blu rays will be? You would think they would want to make them affordable especially since many people will buy them. Also is there a possibility of it being on DVD remastered as well? I don't want to pay half a grand for 500 episodes. Then again people spend that much on the anime legends releases so what good does it do

I predict they will be around $600-$650 minimum if Bandai Japan is releasing it.

RightStuf will use whatever master they can get their hands on.

Anyone have any opinions about the series Mushishi? Thinking about picking it up, although its currently only on DVD. 

Anyone have any opinions about the series Mushishi? Thinking about picking it up, although its currently only on DVD.
I really need to watch the complete series that I have, but I recall hearing nothing but good things about it. Just don't expect a lot of action, as it's more subdued in nature.

I predict they will be around $600-$650 minimum if Bandai Japan is releasing it.

RightStuf will use whatever master they can get their hands on.
Holy shit. I don't think I'll be picking these up when they release then.

Such a good series. Very relaxing. Slice of life genre. New sequel debuted earlier this year. Equally good

I really need to watch the complete series that I have, but I recall hearing nothing but good things about it. Just don't expect a lot of action, as it's more subdued in nature.
It's amazing

I watched only three episodes and it's good stuff. Don't be scared off by it being dvd only(it's not getting a blu-ray release anyway). Shame the sequel is getting release by AoA though.

One of my all time favorite series. It is extremely mature--and not in a gore or 'pervy' type of way--often very sad and morose, wonderful soundtrack, very well told stories, and a fantastic localization.

I watched only three episodes and it's good stuff. Don't be scared off by it being dvd only(it's not getting a blu-ray release anyway). Shame the sequel is getting release by AoA though.
I blind buyed Mushi Shi last year and it's actually really good. It's a very laid back series and while it doesn't have any of the usual anime tropes, its still great. It will take a few episodes to hook you, but it gets more interesting the more you watch it. I got the live action movie during RS's sales last year for $3 and it was just as good as the series.

The new AoA licensed anime I assume is a continuation of the story as it's exactly the same as the original anime just with new stories but I do suggest starting with first series just so you can get the backstory on the mushi and Ginko (the protagonist).

Holy shit. I don't think I'll be picking these up when they release then.
Like I said, that is if Bandai Japan releases it, as we will end up getting the Japanese product. And as any hard core fan can tell you, Japan's prices are astronomical. The complete DragonBox (including DB and GT) was $1,000 and that was DVD and the Pokémon movie boxset (covering Mewtwo through Zoroark) was over $400. And that set had less extras than the DVD versions, the Pikachu shorts on separate discs, and not enough space for the Victini and Keldeo movies.

Like I said, that is if Bandai Japan releases it, as we will end up getting the Japanese product. And as any hard core fan can tell you, Japan's prices are astronomical. The complete DragonBox (including DB and GT) was $1,000 and that was DVD and the Pokémon movie boxset (covering Mewtwo through Zoroark) was over $400. And that set had less extras than the DVD versions, the Pikachu shorts on separate discs, and not enough space for the Victini and Keldeo movies.
I don't think it going to happen. If we get BDs, I don't believe they will be $500 - $700. Since none of the JP BDs have English subs on them, it would require re-authorizing BDs (except for Seed I believe). And i'm sure during that process, they will figure out places to cut costs. Will they be expensive? Probably since they said the Unicorn BDs did much better than

expected. That being said, at whatever the cost, if there are Gundam BDs I will get them day 1.

In any case, kinda pointless to speculate at the moment since this may be a new venture for RightStuf and Bandai Japan is unpredictable.

Also, back to deals guys.

Guess that solved my mushishi question lol, overwhelming yes. Anyone read/hear anything about funimation's steins;gate movie dub? 

I was shopping at Best buy earlier today and devil is a part timer was 24.99 blu ray. I was lucky enough to find one copy at my best buy.
Just spotted this at the Best Buy near me. They still had a few copies. I plan to watch it on Netflix first to see if it's a show I'd be interested in.

Also, Akira is back down to $14.99 on Blu-ray at BB. Unfortunately, they're removing the slipcovers. I only found one copy with the cover still on.

My pre-order of Sailor Moon from Right-Stuf has shipped. I had never really gotten into the series, I was only exposed in my youth to the english-dub. But a friend of mine is a huge fan and swears that the Japanese original is quite good. So I'm giving it a shot. He was right about Ranma, why not Sailor Moon?

Got my shipping estimate for Evangelion 3.33. December 30. I patiently await you. I was proved wrong. 

I was hoping to collect the Hellsing Ultimate Steelbooks but the CAG in me knows that a complete anime classics collection is incoming or that all the blu ray collections will go on sale for black friday. one or the other. just gotta wait it out and resist the temptation. 

Guess that solved my mushishi question lol, overwhelming yes. Anyone read/hear anything about funimation's steins;gate movie dub?
I was at the Funi panel at Otakon where they announced that they licensed it so it's on the way. I expect a Summer or Fall 2015 release.

Ghost in the Shell: 25th Anniversary BD is down to $14.49 on Amazon.
Thanks man!
Managed to get ARISE, movie and Mononoke for exactly $50 at best buy. $21.99 for Arise, 9.99 for Mononoke prices matches to the website and 14.49 from Amazon price match. I hate tax. It was $5...

I was hoping to collect the Hellsing Ultimate Steelbooks but the CAG in me knows that a complete anime classics collection is incoming or that all the blu ray collections will go on sale for black friday. one or the other. just gotta wait it out and resist the temptation.
The steel-books are totally rad. Sadly, they only go up to episode 4 of the series. They also only ever contained the DVD releases. Acquiring them is just for hard-core collectors. The recent Blu-Ray releases have been much more reasonably priced, and gone on sale at least once since their release. If you want to pick up the whole series, the Blu-Ray sets are definitely the more affordable option. And yes, a "complete series" set might also happen at some point in the future.

I got my copy of the final volume in today.

The steel-books are totally rad. Sadly, they only go up to episode 4 of the series. They also only ever contained the DVD releases. Acquiring them is just for hard-core collectors. The recent Blu-Ray releases have been much more reasonably priced, and gone on sale at least once since their release. If you want to pick up the whole series, the Blu-Ray sets are definitely the more affordable option. And yes, a "complete series" set might also happen at some point in the future.

I got my copy of the final volume in today.
They look rad and those posters rock. I knew they went to episode 4 and then 5-8 had the cool artbox and 9-10 just came out. they're about 12-20 a piece but what i would spend on 4 i could get the entire series. ah well. blu rays look better, have the same features, and will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Burning through so much Naruto. Bought Set 6 and 7 just now for a little under 15. yes, there is a lot of filler but its so good once the filler is over. Just got over Neji and Naruto's fight from the Chunin final exams. Holy moly what a tearjerker. No spoilers please. I neglected Naruto growing up. I actually gave some kid hell for dressing like him. Perhaps I was turned off by the crappy english dub, no blood, and overall tone of what was shown on weekdays after school kind of like 4Kids One Piece v. the real One Piece. Either way I'm loving this uncut madness. 

I kind of know a little about Shippuden and the current manga but all I know for sure is that next weeks manga ending is gonna end one of two ways. These are my predictions. 

A) fighting continues and it goes on until the last movie and the last movie is the clear resolution to the manga

B) fighting stops and squad 7 becomes the next sannin and naruto becomes hokage and the movie ties up any loose ends and gives Naruto/Hinata love 

Or none of that happens and there is a new spin off series of manga because why the hell not that and the fact that after Naruto it'll be One Piece, Fairy Tail and AOT as the big three of Shounen with One Piece ending and Fairy Tail in an unknown spot 

Naruto's TV dub was pretty much the exact same as the uncut, except with less blood and swearing. I think you're thinking of the Jetix dub.

Back home, picked up a little bit.

uDN78Ya.jpg

Well, the Jetix dub used the same cast as the US dub, but it had a ton of edits since the UK can't show violence with bladed weapons on kids shows.

Found over at blu Ray .com
Appleseed LE brand new. 13$ and change after shipping from clover media.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BLQRFRI?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=blurayforum-20
would buy this but i do not like the animation of appleseed no matter how much people tell me its good the animation for me at least is just so weird and out of place.

someone, however, please pick this up lol. great deal if you like appleseed and its the le as well

might i add that robotics notes part 1 is 19.99 on amazon w/ prime. just a week ago it was around 30 so this is fairly low

black friday is around the corner. lock down those wallets and set eyes for sail

edit: forgot to add this but duke bandai japan is releasing the blus for mobile suit gundam and zz. so yes you can expect a high price tag. had to look it up to see if it was real. maybe that'll demote the value of the original msg.

I have no problems watching anime from the 80s and 90s, so I didn't see anything wrong with the animation when I previewed it on Funimation's website, but it was different all right.

I was a bit more concerned that was a boot copy, but I suppose that's not likely.  Besides, the Sankarea box that I ordered from the same Clover Media seems legit (which is still on sale from them for $11.49 with shipping) - I never unsealed it to find out for sure.

would buy this but i do not like the animation of appleseed no matter how much people tell me its good the animation for me at least is just so weird and out of place.

someone, however, please pick this up lol. great deal if you like appleseed and its the le as well
Yea the main reason i bought it is bc its LE and new. i may or may not watch it lol. there were a few of them left when i bought mine.

bread's done
Back