Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
You're Under Arrest has 3 Seasons and a movie. Season 1 and the movie were licensed by ADV and fully dubbed, but was never collected into a boxset. Currently it is out of print.

Seasons 2 and 3 are available sub-only from Sentai. The show is a screwball comedy slice of life anime. Kinda like Patlabor without the giant robots. It also features probably the only cross dresser in television history who is an actual character and not comic relief or something to be shunned. It is actually a pretty fun show.
Thanks for this.

On Amazon I also see this: http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Under-Arrest-Complete-Collection/dp/B004BR7XOO/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t#customerReviews

Do you know if it's just the seasons combined or something?

Thanks for this.

On Amazon I also see You're Under Arrest: Fast & Furious. Do you know what that is?
It's the title for either Season 2 or 3 (I forget which one, whatever one Full Throttle isn't).

As for the link, that is just the two sets combined. Do note that they use the thick clamshell cases for those instead of the standard size cases.

i don't have enough time to post a bunch of shows, but I wanted to note if your kids are over 3 years old there are plenty of anime out there for them to watch such as pokemon if they are over 8 years old they could watch stuff like naruto or one piece.
My son is 7 and my daughter is 3.

I guess I was thinking that some of the more highly regarded series had iffy content. But if it's done well and something that adults can get enjoyment out of (similar to the way Pixar appeals to everyone) then I'd check it out. My son watches whatever Pokemon show comes on CN I think and he enjoys it.

It's the title for either Season 2 or 3 (I forget which one, whatever one Full Throttle isn't).

As for the link, that is just the two sets combined. Do note that they use the thick clamshell cases for those instead of the standard size cases.
Gotcha.

Well it's more expensive than getting everything off Fry's so I'll just do that. Thanks for the help!

You're Under Arrest has 3 Seasons and a movie. Season 1 and the movie were licensed by ADV and fully dubbed, but was never collected into a boxset. Currently it is out of print.
Gotcha.

Well it's more expensive than getting everything off Fry's so I'll just do that. Thanks for the help!
The first season was actually licensed by AnimEigo, and ADV owned the rights to the movies and the specials.

I believe AnimEigo still has the licensing rights to the series since it only officially went out of print in 2012, so that's most likely the reason why its not picked up by anyone yet.

And even if it was owned by ADV, Section 23 obtained the rights when they bought them over, so if they did own it, it would have been released anyways under Sentai since they're basically one of the same.

FUNimation April 2015 Solicitations
http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/Shop_Filter.ss?sf=sf&sortbyvalue=5 - No release dates listed but most likely part of April.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight: Complete Collection (DVD) - $39.98
Black Butler: Season 1 Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) (Anime Classics) - $49.98
D-RRAG!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $64.98
D-FRAG!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - $69.98
Freezing Vibration: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) - $64.98
Freezing Vibration: Complete Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - $69.98
Noir: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) (Anime Classics) - $49.98
One Piece: Season 6, Part 4 (DVD) - $39.98
One Piece: Collection 12 (DVD) - $34.98

And even if it was owned by ADV, Section 23 obtained the rights when they bought them over, so if they did own it, it would have been released anyways under Sentai since they're basically one of the same.
Technically, whatever is left of ADV is now Section 23 (as they're the ones who are shipping the old ADV stuff and the new Elfen Lied Blu-ray set). Sentai had to renegotiate the licensing deals, which is why it took a few years for them to re-release whatever series FUNi didn't snap up. Same for Switchblade and Maiden Japan.

Okay so I'm new to this thread and wanting some suggestions. I'm wanting to start watching some anime but have limited time and my kids probably aren't old enough to watch this stuff with me anyway, so I'm not looking to go nuts or anything - just looking for the "best of the best". I'm talking strictly things that are overwhelmingly and universally regarded as MUST WATCH series or movies.

I ordered the complete Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo series from Amazon last week when they were on sale to get started and hope to begin one this weekend. I have zero knowledge of this stuff for the most part and am not looking to spend a ton of money on anything, just a few more series to go along with what I've already got. My goal is to become an ultra-casual watcher of anime. Like people who will only watch movies associated with names like Scorsese, Tarantino, etc. lol

I've Googled for ideas and it's quite overwhelming. I tend to trust the CAG community for suggestions even though I know nothing is 100% universally agreed upon.
For maximum ultra-casual that's mostly kid-friendly I'd suggest the Ghibli movies. They're all quite good (well, there's one that's bad but it's never going to see a US release anyway). Most are licensed by Disney and you can get 8-9 of them for about $9 a piece via Disney Movie Club (there's a guide to DMC lurking around somewhere). Some are more violent than others - Grave of the Fireflies, Mononoke, and Nausicaa in particular warrant some caution before watching with the kids, whereas Totoro, Kiki, Whisper of the Heart, etc., are all pretty tame.

Okay so I'm new to this thread and wanting some suggestions. I'm wanting to start watching some anime but have limited time and my kids probably aren't old enough to watch this stuff with me anyway, so I'm not looking to go nuts or anything - just looking for the "best of the best". I'm talking strictly things that are overwhelmingly and universally regarded as MUST WATCH series or movies.

I ordered the complete Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo series from Amazon last week when they were on sale to get started and hope to begin one this weekend. I have zero knowledge of this stuff for the most part and am not looking to spend a ton of money on anything, just a few more series to go along with what I've already got. My goal is to become an ultra-casual watcher of anime. Like people who will only watch movies associated with names like Scorsese, Tarantino, etc. lol

I've Googled for ideas and it's quite overwhelming. I tend to trust the CAG community for suggestions even though I know nothing is 100% universally agreed upon.
Unfortunately anime is so diverse there is not really a "best of the best" each niche has it's own shows, and there is limited cross over.
azumanga daioh: for slice of life/ zaney
fooley cooley(FLCL): for strait off the wall crazy
ghost in the shell(movies+SAC) for cerebral cyber punk
serial experiment lain/ergo proxy: for thinky what is life
rahxephon/Neon Genesis Evangelion, mecha thinky
code geass: mecha "cool" stlye

For starting out, I would recommend Read or Die: the ova, azumanga daioh, and beebop(you have)

I guess I was thinking that some of the more highly regarded series had iffy content. But if it's done well and something that adults can get enjoyment out of (similar to the way Pixar appeals to everyone) then I'd check it out. My son watches whatever Pokemon show comes on CN I think and he enjoys it.
indeed some of the more highly regarded series have iffy content, but there are plenty of great series that don't have iffy content and could easily be watched with kids. One piece and detective conan are two of the most popular anime in the history of anime (at least in japan) and are both kids shows (though both have more serious themes than most american cartoons do, but are easily fine for the 7 year old)

Something like Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood is a bit more mature, if your son is mature for his age it might be ok for him, but it's more aimed at 10-14 year olds.

overall there isn't just some "this is the best" list, as it all comes down to tastes like with any media/art form. so really, what type of shows do you want, as if you want just highly recommended shows pop over to a site like myanimelist and just sort the anime by rating.

For maximum ultra-casual that's mostly kid-friendly I'd suggest the Ghibli movies. They're all quite good (well, there's one that's bad but it's never going to see a US release anyway). Most are licensed by Disney and you can get 8-9 of them for about $9 a piece via Disney Movie Club (there's a guide to DMC lurking around somewhere). Some are more violent than others - Grave of the Fireflies, Mononoke, and Nausicaa in particular warrant some caution before watching with the kids, whereas Totoro, Kiki, Whisper of the Heart, etc., are all pretty tame.
Funny you mention that. The three newest Ghibli additions to the DMC were waiting for me when I got home today. I signed up for the DMC last year solely for the Ghibli movies and still had to work on fulfilling my commitment.

1) Crunchyroll added Zatch Bell. Life is complete. Gonna rewatch and then maybe just maybe buy the series. Sooooooooooo good. 

2) Fry's order shipped. I spoke too soon. Glass Maiden and Fate/Stay Unlimited Blade Works you will be mine

3) Were any of the 2 dollar titles on Fry's noteworthy. Woke up way too late to even hop on and get anything

4) Having a Fry's nowhere near me sucks

1) Crunchyroll added Zatch Bell. Life is complete. Gonna rewatch and then maybe just maybe buy the series. Sooooooooooo good.

2) Fry's order shipped. I spoke too soon. Glass Maiden and Fate/Stay Unlimited Blade Works you will be mine

3) Were any of the 2 dollar titles on Fry's noteworthy. Woke up way too late to even hop on and get anything

4) Having a Fry's nowhere near me sucks
nah, most of the 2 dollar titles are things that only people who have to much time and really love watching anime would get. One of them I got for a $1 grab bag from rightstuf years ago :p

I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm confused on the order of watching it. Looks like there's another season that's not on sale.
There's the original series from the early 90s that you can still buy from Rightstuf (actually had a dub). Fast and furious is actually a complete collection that includes the two season 2 volumes. That Full throttle season three on fry's is actually a mistake and is just a complete collection of parts one and two of full throttle (according to right stuf)

North American anime distributor Funimation announced at its Otakon Las Vegas panel on Saturday that it licensed the home video rights for Dragonar Academy, Date A Live II, and No-Rin. Funimation will offer both Dragonar Academy and Date A Live II in Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo sets this year, while it will announce more release details for No-Rin later.

Funimation describes the story of Dragonar Academy:

Ash Blake is nothing but a joke to his fellow students at Dragonar Academy. Sure, he's got the sacred star brand that marks him as a future master of dragons, but he's having more than a little trouble playing the part of a hero. At least until the day his dragon suddenly awakens, and his world changes forever. There's just one slight problem: His dragon is actually a beautiful girl, and she's determined to become the master – and make Ash the slave! Beautiful girls and high-flying action take center stage in this thrilling adventure.

The anime aired in Japan last spring, and Funimation streamed the anime as it aired. Seven Seas Entertainment is releasing Ran's manga version of Shiki Mizuchi's original light novel series in North America. Mizuchi launched the story as a light novel series in 2010. Ran has been drawing the manga adaptation in Media Factory's Monthly Comic Alive magazine since 2013.

The second anime season based on Koushi Tachibana's original Date A Live light novel series aired last spring in Japan, and Funimation streamed the anime as it aired.

The anime of Shiratori Shirow and illustrator Kippu's No-Rin romantic comedy light novel series starred Shintarō Asanuma (Love Lab, Muromi-san) as Kōsaku Hata, a student and idol otaku at Tamo Agricultural High School (Tamo Nōrin Kōkō, shortened to No-Rin). Yukari Tamura plays Ringo Kinoshita, a new transfer student who recently retired as the idol Yukatan.

The anime premiered last January in Japan, and Funimation streamed the anime as it aired.

I went to my "local" Fry's today (by local I mean hour and 10 minutes away, I was going near there), and picked up the You're Under Arrest volumes, and Kobato complete collection.

Watch Studio Ghilbi films. Stuff like Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service, etc. Great films entertaining for both adults and children. Some of their films are darker like Princess Mononoke and Grave of the Fireflies. I would recommend watching those specific films without your children.

Usps is truly killing me. I ordered fairy tail 1-4 on ebay. The guy sends every thing and when i open the bag (yes not box) that the guy sent them in its a pile of plastic. And the guy doesn't want to answer my messages now. The solution is fairly obvious but i thought id ask here b4 opening a case if anyone would like FT part 1,3 & 4 the dvds and blus are mint but the plastic cases are trashed.

Usps is truly killing me. I ordered fairy tail 1-4 on ebay. The guy sends every thing and when i open the bag (yes not box) that the guy sent them in its a pile of plastic. And the guy doesn't want to answer my messages now. The solution is fairly obvious but i thought id ask here b4 opening a case if anyone would like FT part 1,3 & 4 the dvds and blus are mint but the plastic cases are trashed.
I"m guessin the coverart got trashed too as well? And sorry to hear that. I love how he sent it in a bag...it seems ebay sellers have gotten cheapa and don't want to bother sending anything in boxes anymore.

giphy.gif

I"m guessin the coverart got trashed too as well? And sorry to hear that. I love how he sent it in a bag...it seems ebay sellers have gotten cheapa and don't want to bother sending anything in boxes anymore.
One of the reversable covers has a non noticeable tear but the slipcovers are surprisingly in fairly good shape. Ill toss some pics up when i get home.

Just started watching DNA squared with the wife in English.  Tomoko's VA is AWFUL, and I looked it up, and the only other thing she's done is hentai.  My wife said she obviously had been fuck-ing the producer.

Yeah... DNA2's English dub is crap. And I like most dubs I've seen. (Suggesting a little Cowboy Bebop or Chrono Crusade to wash the bad dub taste out of your mouth.)

I'd love to see someone take a chance on releasing the manga in English... even just digitally, because by then, if some kind of app is required, I might have something I can read it on!

I am glad Discotek rescued the anime and brought it out in a space-friendly edition. I've got the CPM singles, courtesy of my aunt, but I want the smaller set.

Other than her, the dub isn't that bad, unfortunately, she drags what could've been a decent dub to down being a really bad one.  All of the others are pretty well to very well known VAs like Rachel Lillis, Liam O' Brien, and Jessica Calvello.  On a side note, one of the main reasons I wanted to watch more of this was because I watched the first episode way back in the day, and I really liked Video girl Ai.  I was looking up what else he had done trying to figure out the one I'd forgotten (it was I''s), sadly it's out of print, but I realized he also did the manga for Tiger and Bunny, and I thought "oh, apparently, I've constantly liked this guy's stuff", I don't think I recognized it, because it doesn't look like his old art.  Oh, and, to get the hopeful bad taste out of my mouth, 8.0 magnitude is up next, and I understand it does actually have a good dub, or if i get desperate I'll throw in the OMG OVAs, or tv series.

Pics of the damage.

[attachment=11327:2015-01-18 21.05.43.jpg][attachment=11328:2015-01-18 21.05.25.jpg][attachment=11329:2015-01-18 21.04.50.jpg][attachment=11330:2015-01-18 21.03.47.jpg]

slips are pristine lol

oh and screw the usps. package was in my city literally 5 minutes away from me and still didn't get delivered yesterday. my one piece collections sit there. i was hoping to get them yesterday since i was home and the box is big

bread's done
Back