Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Like, once I've hit my commitment whatever, cancel and re sign up? I was somehow under the assumption you couldn't do that, but if so, then yeah, definitely.
People cancel and sign up all the time. The operators don't care snce it boosts their subscriber numbers.

First Right Stuf has a bunch of different sales on random things sitting around the warehouse.  Now that we finally get a studio sale ( a Funimation one no less) I checked my saved items and found out that all of the studio's preorders are not eligible for the Membership discount like they have been during past studio sales.

95667ff99bbaa9c349a3d4230916f052.gif

First Right Stuf has a bunch of different sales on random things sitting around the warehouse. Now that we finally get a studio sale ( a Funimation one no less) I checked my saved items and found out that all of the studio's preorders are not eligible for the Membership discount like they have been during past studio sales.
​Some things like Neptunia were changed to include the discount once they got them in. Hoping Ping Pong switches also since they just got them in as well.

Heads up that is a PV. Even though it says Used it is a Rental Copy. Hastings is pretty bad about their PV copies. So this probably will come in really bad condition.

Agreed, I would not push for this at all. The last LE I got from their Amazon page came in an old blockbuster rental case, and when I called about the mistake their CS was rude and pretty much said they didn't care.
Wow okay, sorry, thanks though.

It seems Go Hastings is one to be weary of on multiple fronts huh?

I'm only just now getting into collecting Anime so I still have a lot to learn. I'll try to lurk more in the meantime so I don't end up having someone purchase something they may regret.

GoHastings actually has some good prices after discount for a lot of their anime. However, the $2-$3 anime are almost always Previous Viewed, which are formerly rentals, as opposed to Used.

I've dropped thousands at Hastings.

Another reason to buy new lol. Rightstuf really needs to run a yen press sale instead of a half assed funimation sale

Looks like I preordered Ping Ping and Zombie S2 on the day the pre-orders went up...

I'd save $6 with the sale pricing. Gonna cancel my current order and re-do that to save some monies. I had them together, so I don't think they'd partially ship one of them now, even though it's about that time. Hopefully i'm not too late!

Decided to stop by Suncoast today. They had Sekirei Season 2 LE with Season 1 included, Moeyo Ken (believe it or not, it and Nerima Daikon Brothers are decently expensive now) and all 12 volumes of Kimagure Orange Road. Ended up spending just under $110 on just Kimagure.

Decided to stop by Suncoast today. They had Sekirei Season 2 LE with Season 1 included, Moeyo Ken (believe it or not, it and Nerima Daikon Brothers are decently expensive now) and all 12 volumes of Kimagure Orange Road. Ended up spending just under $110 on just Kimagure.
Wow, nice find on the KOR. I would assume their used, but still that's like finding a pot of gold. :applause:

Wow, nice find on the KOR. I would assume their used, but still that's like finding a pot of gold. :applause:
Oh yea, all Used. It's been years since I bought anything new at FYE/Suncoast.

Speaking of which, they are having their S.A.V.E. sale again where all the sets are $12.99-$17.99.

*sigh* I watched 12 kingdoms recently and wanted to buy it. Saw the individual collections on rightstuf but there was only 1 left and now it's gone(curse you whoever you are). Part 1 is pretty expensive everywhere. I would get the bluray release but it looks it's never going to release part 3 so I'm SoL unless I get half bluray half dvd which I would rather avoid.

There's also a complete edition. And who knows, they could release it again in the future. I had no hopes of completing my Hayate S1, and now they're releasing it on Blu-ray.

(Which still pisses me off, cause I paid like $20 per volume of Hayate only to miss volume 8 cause I blinked.)

DVD Planet has a minor sale going on. 12% off any DVD order of $50 or more. You have to use DVDs to activate the deal, but once it's activated, any additional Blu-rays will also get the discount.

I need to ask a dumb question (or two, but who's counting at this point).

When it comes to supporting the anime and manga industry as a whole, is there a good "priority" list to it all when anyone is balancing out the art of being cheap and (ab)using RightStuf holiday sales (and in last year's case, Funimation's holiday sale)?

In other (or perhaps better) words, is watching something through Crunchyroll really that beneficial outside of being legal?  I remember zulux21 mentioned something about it a while ago, but I forgot to save it or ask about it then.  Thanks!

BTW, DVDPlanet now having a 12% off coupon for Blu-Rays if the order is $60 or more.   Code is CYBORG.

I need to ask a dumb question (or two, but who's counting at this point).

When it comes to supporting the anime and manga industry as a whole, is there a good "priority" list to it all when anyone is balancing out the art of being cheap and (ab)using RightStuf holiday sales (and in last year's case, Funimation's holiday sale)?

In other (or perhaps better) words, is watching something through Crunchyroll really that beneficial outside of being legal? I remember zulux21 mentioned something about it a while ago, but I forgot to save it or ask about it then. Thanks!

BTW, DVDPlanet now having a 12% off coupon for Blu-Rays if the order is $60 or more. Code is CYBORG.
awe I am referenced :p

if you want to support the industry stuff like crunchyroll and funimation stream are good ways to do it. Neither will disclose how much of your sub goes to it but crunchyroll CEO did comment on it a few years back

Most of your money goes straight to the industry Gao couldn’t reveal to me how much of your Crunchyroll payment goes back to anime publishers because of nondisclosure agreements. But he did say that publishers are “ecstatic” about the revenue they receive, and that publishers probably wouldn’t agree to work with Crunchyroll in such large numbers if they were getting such a bad deal. “This season, we have over 40 simulcasts—more than we’ve ever had. And most of those shows are coming from repeat publishers who’ve been with us from day one. Publishers get the majority of the money [from your subscription] and they’re very happy with what they’re getting.” The thing is, Crunchyroll makes revenue in a lot of different ways aside from your subscription payment, or ads if you have a free account. That frees up the money you give to Crunchyroll to go right back toward the industry. Basically, hiring more employees and other business costs don’t take away from the portions that anime publishers receive.
from 2013

beyond that obviously buying new from funimation/rightstuf/amazon ect helps the industry while buying new from third party sellers or used doesn't (same as video games)

Personally, I prefer to buy new just to support the creators more than the third party, but generally only if it's a couple dollars more. Like if goHastings has a set for $25, and it's $27 new during holiday sales, I'll buy the $27 new set.

Personally, I prefer to buy new just to support the creators more than the third party, but generally only if it's a couple dollars more. Like if goHastings has a set for $25, and it's $27 new during holiday sales, I'll buy the $27 new set.
personally I buy stuff used from places like gohastings all of the time and I buy new from third party sellers all the time :p

I do have both a funimation sub and a crunchyroll sub in order to support the industry, but that is only because I can afford it, and I watch basically every funimation dub anyways.

I usually try to keep the UK blu ray talk to a minimum, and usually only post about it if there's a particularly good deal on Aniplex stuff.  I noticed this entry today for Sword Art Online 2 and wanted to talk about it.

It looks like the days of getting significantly cheaper Aniplex stuff from Anime Ltd out of the UK may be behind us.  It's not only listed as part 1 of 4, but it is also listed as a collector's edition (which for them generally means softcover artbook and chipboard box) release.

At roughly $150 for all 4, I guess you'd still save $100 over the US blus.  That's still awfully high for 24 episodes, though.

awe I am referenced :p

if you want to support the industry stuff like crunchyroll and funimation stream are good ways to do it. Neither will disclose how much of your sub goes to it but crunchyroll CEO did comment on it a few years back

from 2013

beyond that obviously buying new from funimation/rightstuf/amazon ect helps the industry while buying new from third party sellers or used doesn't (same as video games)
You are also the one who gave me the idea to ask of course! Thanks for the info!

I spent far more on Funimation, RightStuf, and Amazon/shawnek than I realized I did since last July so I am pretty happy about that. I usually don't touch DeepDiscount/DVDPlanet/other sites for new anime anyway because I don't know why I wouldn't support RightStuf (and far better shipping) directly even if it is a few bucks here and there.

If using Crunchyroll is a decent to good deal for everyone involved then that's awesome. I'm on my 30-day trial now and I don't see myself leaving the service for a while (maybe football season).

You are also the one who gave me the idea to ask of course! Thanks for the info!

I spent far more on Funimation, RightStuf, and Amazon/shawnek than I realized I did since last July so I am pretty happy about that. I usually don't touch DeepDiscount/DVDPlanet/other sites for new anime anyway because I don't know why I wouldn't support RightStuf (and far better shipping) directly even if it is a few bucks here and there.

If using Crunchyroll is a decent to good deal for everyone involved then that's awesome. I'm on my 30-day trial now and I don't see myself leaving the service for a while (maybe football season).
Can someone please explain why buying from a 3rd party like amazon is better than buying from deepdiscount/dvdplanet? Curious. Buying new, not used.

I think he just means companies directly involved in the anime business, instead of just a retail hub. Rightstuf has their own licensing brand, Nozomi Entertainment, so helping them more directly helps anime. Likewise, buying directly from NISAmerica probably helps their anime branch too.

Can someone please explain why buying from a 3rd party like amazon is better than buying from deepdiscount/dvdplanet? Curious. Buying new, not used.
shawnek is Rightstuf's storefront, so it's technically not a "3rd party" seller in regard to his support for Rightstuf.

I think he just means companies directly involved in the anime business, instead of just a retail hub. Rightstuf has their own licensing brand, Nozomi Entertainment, so helping them more directly helps anime. Likewise, buying directly from NISAmerica probably helps their anime branch too.
Thank you - I try to support RightStuf directly when it makes sense (and not just because I really like how they ship product), whether it is a Nozomi "product" or something like Turn A Gundam or not. That's why I put shawnek with Amazon even though everyone else is right that it's still RightStuf in the end.

How much I'm truly supporting the industry is still a fair question to ask, but when you truly start buying anime at the holiday sales of 2013 then there isn't too much you can do for many older titles.

Speaking of shawnek, where did they go? A few items from them I was watching from my Amazon cart are no longer available.

Be careful, anyone buying the new Ghibli films this week.  Reports have been coming in that Best buy hasn't been getting slip covers with Cat Returns, and it was also true with my local best buy.

Be careful, anyone buying the new Ghibli films this week. Reports have been coming in that Best buy hasn't been getting slip covers with Cat Returns, and it was also true with my local best buy.
I'm finding slipcovers are becoming a lot more hit and miss on Ghibli stuff. I picked up a couple new ones from Amazon awhile back and they didn't have them either. I scowled at first, but now I find it easier to pick up used/cheap copies since I'm no longer trying to get them with covers.

They look just fine standing in the order of covers - > no covers :D

Be careful, anyone buying the new Ghibli films this week. Reports have been coming in that Best buy hasn't been getting slip covers with Cat Returns, and it was also true with my local best buy.
Cat Returns slips are apparently hard to come by at the moment. Seen several people on bluray.com post that Amazon and their local Best Buy do not have slips. My Best Buy didn't have slips for Cat Returns either. Target stores don't even carry Cat Returns.

If you need a slip for Cat Returns, try Walmart. Found plenty of slips at my local store. Seen others post that their Walmart had slips as well. Disney Movie Club has slips for Cat Returns too, from what I've seen online.

bread's done
Back