Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, that type of release in 2017 is unacceptable. How does that even happen. Is there no QC? I hope everyone who bought that gets their money back. So glad I kept my dvd's.

Amazon reviews of the new GitS SAC BR releases are not looking good. Audio switches between English and Japanese (or both at the same time) at certain points, subtitles are dubtitles and only available as closed captioning (sound effects written out), and each episode is a single chapter so you can't quickly navigate within an episode. The video and audio quality are reportedly good though.

I only ordered S1 and may ask Amazon for a return.

-Update-

Amazon gave me free return shipping.

Here's a review that sums up the problems with this release: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3AGQ4XSFGANGR/
Wow. That's insane. Glad I cancelled my order of these sets awhile back.

I'd almost say that if you only plan on watching the dub (which I've always considered somewhere between good and great), then you're good, but apparently not.

I'd almost say that if you only plan on watching the dub (which I've always considered somewhere between good and great), then you're good, but apparently not.
the question is does that audio part in episode 1 only happen there or is it all over the series? so far i've only seen(granted i havent looked everywhere) its only that one small part. not excusing it or anything just saying

the question is does that audio part in episode 1 only happen there or is it all over the series? so far i've only seen(granted i havent looked everywhere) its only that one small part. not excusing it or anything just saying
A person on blu-ray.com found another bit of audio switching on Season 2. Really shows the level of QC that went into these.

never did finish watching that show on adult swim. always kind of wanted too

A person on blu-ray.com found another bit of audio switching on Season 2. Really shows the level of QC that went into these.
shame really.

shame really.

Gurren Lagann arrived from Zavvi today. I have to say I wish they used a better box to protect the package they are mailing overseas. One of the corners had a decent dent in it that also dented the art book as well. I don't mind minor dents as I'm not going to resell or anything, but something that damages the contents within that hard box sucks. That being said, still really excited to re-watch this show. I don't think I ever opened the DVDs I got a long time ago either. I should sell it on ebay haha.

Also sad to hear that unbreakable machine doll isn't reversible as I also just got that in the mail along with the "classic" version of Freezing S2.

Damn, that type of release in 2017 is unacceptable. How does that even happen. Is there no QC? I hope everyone who bought that gets their money back. So glad I kept my dvd's.
That's what happens when a company that doesn't care and is just trying to cash in puts out an anime release.

Eh, I wanted the blu-rays. So I ordered the Korean version instead.
How are they and where'd you order from? :)

Gurren Lagann arrived from Zavvi today. I have to say I wish they used a better box to protect the package they are mailing overseas. One of the corners had a decent dent in it that also dented the art book as well. I don't mind minor dents as I'm not going to resell or anything, but something that damages the contents within that hard box sucks. That being said, still really excited to re-watch this show. I don't think I ever opened the DVDs I got a long time ago either. I should sell it on ebay haha.

Also sad to hear that unbreakable machine doll isn't reversible as I also just got that in the mail along with the "classic" version of Freezing S2.
Mine had a slight dent at the top as well and was a bit sticky (from excess glue I'm assuming). Box art was gorgeous though!

I got my copies of Ghost In the Shell, Stand Alone Complex in yesterday. The first two episodes didn't have any problems so far, but I am listening to them in Japanese only. It is true that the subtitles are only the English for the deaf and hearing impaired. Thankfully, the Japanese and English scripts don't deviate too far from each other, so it doesn't distract too much. At the same time, this is not the optimal experience, and a few more options on subtitles would have been a big improvement. The more complete anime releases normally provide two or three options on this sort of thing. Also, the subtitles actual rendering is not what I would call optimal either.

On the plus side, the visuals are great, as is the Japanese audio 5.1 surround sound mix. I have noticed that the 3D animated intro sequence for the first season appears to have been rendered at a lower resolution, and was not re-rendered for this release. As such, it is very grainy and blurry. Thankfully, the rest of the show's visuals are in crisp high definition, and look great.

I can't believe they're putting out a minimal release with a BD-R and have the gall to charge $28 for it. On a side note, one of my best looking dvds (video wise) was a DVD-r WB put out for a release of The Phantom Tollbooth

I got my copies of Ghost In the Shell, Stand Alone Complex in yesterday. The first two episodes didn't have any problems so far, but I am listening to them in Japanese only. It is true that the subtitles are only the English for the deaf and hearing impaired. Thankfully, the Japanese and English scripts don't deviate too far from each other, so it doesn't distract too much. At the same time, this is not the optimal experience, and a few more options on subtitles would have been a big improvement. The more complete anime releases normally provide two or three options on this sort of thing. Also, the subtitles actual rendering is not what I would call optimal either.

On the plus side, the visuals are great, as is the Japanese audio 5.1 surround sound mix. I have noticed that the 3D animated intro sequence for the first season appears to have been rendered at a lower resolution, and was not re-rendered for this release. As such, it is very grainy and blurry. Thankfully, the rest of the show's visuals are in crisp high definition, and look great.
on a positive note, i am sure the torrenting community will crack this and give us the sweet blu ray audio and visuals + optimal subtitles.

Yeah, no shit, dude, first season was pretty great, but like Venture Brothers it became really bizarre after a certain point. (though I still watch Venture Brothers)

amazon is giving out 8 bucks?????
It's actually $8.62 with code BIGTHANKS when you buy $50 worth of stuff in one order. Good for today only.

You've all seen more anime than I have so I can't recommend anything right now. But don't forget manga, which this discount could cover the cost of one volume.

It's actually $8.62 with code BIGTHANKS when you buy $50 worth of stuff in one order. Good for today only.

You've all seen more anime than I have so I can't recommend anything right now. But don't forget manga, which this discount could cover the cost of one volume.
oh cool....didnt know that....well nothing for me then, i dont have the spare 50 lol.

I picked this Evangelion Platinum collection for $40.  Was that a good deal?  I've been wanting to pick up a set so I could get rid of the individual volumes.

I picked this Evangelion Platinum collection for $40. Was that a good deal? I've been wanting to pick up a set so I could get rid of the individual volumes.
Good price. I think that's what I paid when I bought the set in-store (Best Buy or Frys, can't remember) over 10 years ago.

I picked this Evangelion Platinum collection for $40. Was that a good deal? I've been wanting to pick up a set so I could get rid of the individual volumes.
I'd say it's a pretty good deal. I've seen a few full sets at places around me and the cheapest I've seen them in the past couple year was $100.

I'm thinking about selling of the individual volumes to pay for this set. I like having box sets when I can.   I plan on holding on to the set till they release it on blu-ray.

Oh wow, what a blast from the past. I remember Amazon once had these for $5.99 and then they cancelled all orders. :(

I eventually got the 7 individual volumes + the slipcase for about $60.

Edit: Found the thread: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/571395

I'm thinking about selling of the individual volumes to pay for this set. I like having box sets when I can. I plan on holding on to the set till they release it on blu-ray.
Bear in mind that the thinpack sets are just the episodes. None of the special features on the individual discs are included.

It's a good set, and is the one that I have. I just wanted to make sure you knew that before you sold off anything.

Yeah that's good. I also have the platinum set in a kind of tin box with slim dvd cases. Getting NGE on DVD nowadays is extremely hard and expensive. Good on you. My set is one of the most valuable pieces of anime I have probably.

This is the one I have

https://www.amazon.com/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Platinum-Collection/dp/B000VLL0O8/ref=dp_ob_title_dvd

so not a physical deal, but goofing around on the funimation site I noticed 2 things.

a premium sub can now be streamed on 2 devices at the same time.

there is an add on you can buy that will also allow you to share with up to 3 more devices at the same time that they call the friends and family add on so it seems that they might be being more like netflix and allowing sharing.

there is also a $40 bonus add on that talks about exclusive con stuff and exclusive store stuff and sales, as well as free shipping on $20 or more... but unless they push sales harder it is unlikely that one will be worth it.

Everyone that ordered Amagi Brilliant Park as part of their Target b2g1 sale should probably double check their order status online.  I checked today and it was backordered until the end of April.  They said that they needed my approval on the new shipping date.

I also found out that Scra-Prin is shipping now.  At least that's good news.

Is anyone else plagued with the pre-authorizations from Target after the B2G1 sale? I placed a bunch of orders and the pre-auths are still there even though I don't have anything shipping until the end of next month.

Everyone that ordered Amagi Brilliant Park as part of their Target b2g1 sale should probably double check their order status online. I checked today and it was backordered until the end of April. They said that they needed my approval on the new shipping date.

I also found out that Scra-Prin is shipping now. At least that's good news.
My copy of Amagi is actually supposed to arrive at my door tomorrow, so I dodged a bullet there?

Everyone that ordered Amagi Brilliant Park as part of their Target b2g1 sale should probably double check their order status online. I checked today and it was backordered until the end of April. They said that they needed my approval on the new shipping date.

My preorder of 5 Centimeters Per Second is the same way - backordered to mid March or early April. In fact, it looks like several online retailers have this on backorder.

School Live(Gakkou Gurashi) is finally coming out this summer.

Rightstuf code SF-2017 brings the premium edition down to $78.

Seems if you spend $75 during the sentai sale, you will get a $5 rightstuf bucks coupon in April.

Happened to me too. Cancelled it and just took the prorated discount on the other two items.

i would wait.

we've learned by much sad experience that the blu ray versions arent always better.
That's my plan, I'm just going to hold onto my Gundam Wing DVDs.

I did end up selling my Gundam 00 sets though, since they fetched a decent price, but after that GitS debacle I'm not so sure I should've done it.

bread's done
Back