Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone's Sentai order been shipped yet from that sale last weekend? I'm surprised I haven't received an email letting me know, especially when they're tacking on a $7.xx shipping charge.

Yeah I've been stalking the order status waiting for my crap to ship. Guessing same thing as GwG, backlog + they probably aren't efficient at shipping things out. Are they partnered w/ Rightstuf?

Anytime I've ordered from Sentai, it came in a Rightstuf box with priority mail shipping. Though it does take about a week before it actually ships.

08th MS Team was bogged down by the hilariously forced romance,generic bad guy,along with a forced happy ending. Worth watching once,wouldn't sit through it again.

I've always liked 08th MS team. I did wait until the price dropped on the pre-order, though. No way was I going to spend 60+ on that series, especially when I already have it on DVD.

Too many Dragon Ball Z box sets. I've searched online, but the whole thing's a confusing mess with all the DBZ remasters, kai, blurays, etc...

Which box sets do I need to hunt down if I want the Frieza/Android/Cell sagas on DVD with the Bruce Faulconer music and original Funi dubs that initially aired on Toonami (ie. original Frieza voice, etc)? I'm sure the DVD sets are long OOP, but I'd like to know which ones I'd have to track down. I still have several of the single VHS/DVD copies from years back, but I assume at some point these versions did come out in box set form?

Though it does take about a week before it actually ships.
Oh, well. Good to know. At least it's not Deep Discount, where it's very hit or miss, and I'm never sure if the items will ever ship or not.

Re: Sentai order - I got mine last week.  Packages usually arrive within a week of ordering (give or take a few days with a weekend).

Re: DBZ - As far as I know, the Toonami versions were edited and were never released on DVD. The uncut versions with Faulconer music and initial dub had one DVD release (which are OOP) while the "orange bricks" had a redub with the option of the Faulconer soundtrack or Japanese soundtrack.

themaster20000 - Check your private messages.

Too many Dragon Ball Z box sets. I've searched online, but the whole thing's a confusing mess with all the DBZ remasters, kai, blurays, etc...

Which box sets do I need to hunt down if I want the Frieza/Android/Cell sagas on DVD with the Bruce Faulconer music and original Funi dubs that initially aired on Toonami (ie. original Frieza voice, etc)? I'm sure the DVD sets are long OOP, but I'd like to know which ones I'd have to track down. I still have several of the single VHS/DVD copies from years back, but I assume at some point these versions did come out in box set form?

Oh, well. Good to know. At least it's not Deep Discount, where it's very hit or miss, and I'm never sure if the items will ever ship or not.
Toonami aired a few different dubs I think. But if you're talking about the ones with faulconer, sabat and schemmel, I guess your best bet would be the orange bricks. I actually have all those sets and would be willing to sell them to you. I personally am looking to upgrade to kai.

The other sets I think either remove faulconers music or revise the dub even more. Even I find keeping track of DBZ releases a bit difficult and I've been keeping track of the franchise since I was a kid. I know none of the releases of the original series by funimation have been flawless. Probably the best one being the dragon box release which was limited and expensive as heck.

Re: DBZ - As far as I know, the Toonami versions were edited and were never released on DVD.
The other sets I think either remove faulconers music or revise the dub even more.
Thanks--it sounds like those original VHS tapes and those single-disc edition DVDs (circa 2001-2004) are the probably closest I'm going to get to the initial TV airings. I've been tempted to buy the orange boxes, but weren't those the editions where Funi enlarged the picture frame, leading to image cropping?

I don't think any anime has had so many mind-numbing releases than DBZ. Yikes. Maybe I'll just fill in the rest of my VHS collection via eBay, even if it's only the Frieza episodes.

Thanks--it sounds like those original VHS tapes and those single-disc edition DVDs (circa 2001-2004) are the probably closest I'm going to get to the initial TV airings. I've been tempted to buy the orange boxes, but weren't those the editions where Funi enlarged the picture frame, leading to image cropping?

I don't think any anime has had so many mind-numbing releases than DBZ. Yikes. Maybe I'll just fill in the rest of my VHS collection via eBay, even if it's only the Frieza episodes.
I remember listening to Kai and the Cell fight (the finale) had a different set of music to the ramp up than I remembered from watching the show on TV. It was such a huge turn off because the other music had this awesome dramatic build up after Vegeta enters the picture. Don't know if that's the Bruce music you're alluding to or not, but yeah, that music is key.

Yes the orange brick sets have a lot of problems. Cropping is not their only issue.

I remember listening to Kai and the Cell fight (the finale) had a different set of music to the ramp up than I remembered from watching the show on TV. It was such a huge turn off because the other music had this awesome dramatic build up after Vegeta enters the picture. Don't know if that's the Bruce music you're alluding to or not, but yeah, that music is key.
I think it is the Bruce music you're alluding to. Kai uses an original score I believe. Funimation had the sense not to mess with it this time.

The rightstuf sentai flash sale has some nice prices (some cheaper than even the sentai flashsale). Plus they give you 5 bucks for 50 spent. Kokoro connect TV series for example is 10 bucks, and yet somehow the OVA series is 20 lol. Must be a pricing mistake.

Is this actually a good rightstuf sale I see? These sentai prices are better than last weeks. Actually pretty decent. Better than their holiday sale.

There was also the DBZ rock the dragon edition (iirc) that funi put out which featured the redone music and dub (not sure if it's the redone version you want though).

Some prices are a bit lower, some are a bit higher on the rightstuf sale, but their shipping is cheaper, and their threshold for free shipping is much lower, as well.

There was also the DBZ rock the dragon edition (iirc) that funi put out which featured the redone music and dub (not sure if it's the redone version you want though).
The Rock the Dragon edition was great, I purchased that back in 2013. It features the original Ocean Dub, which is pure nostalgia.

Honestly, I just didn't look at the Sentai sale because no one was really talking about it. So I brushed it off as a crappy sale, and I have no idea what the prices were.

Honestly, I just didn't look at the Sentai sale because no one was really talking about it. So I brushed it off as a crappy sale, and I have no idea what the prices were.
It was a 75% off sale - single-cour dubbed Blu-rays were $17.99, sub-only were $14.99. I bought 6 Blu-rays for $99...

Is K-On any good? Saw it on sale. Also, how is Colorful?
The movie; haven't seen it. The show; absolutely hilarious.

It's a show about a bunch of random guys trying to see panties. Which normally would lose its novelty pretty quickly, but the English dub breathes life into the dialogue and keeps it fresh and enjoyable.

I spent awhile trying to decide if I wanted anything from the sale then couldn't decide and gave up haha. I've never bought physical before, so I want to make sure the first purchase is a good one!

In other words, any general suggestions?

I spent awhile trying to decide if I wanted anything from the sale then couldn't decide and gave up haha. I've never bought physical before, so I want to make sure the first purchase is a good one!

In other words, any general suggestions?
I don't know if the sale is still going on, but since you asked 3 minutes ago...

Depends on what you like. If you like comedy/slice of life, K-On! is up there.

Well, that is one interesting response of unexpected...

Well, I probably missed the boat though. I don't think the sales is up anymore.

I didn't realize DMC episodes were so short, however each one had me laughing like crazy. Such a gem. Totally worth the $10 or whatever it was during Sentai sale.

Utena sets are 60% off at RS for three days. Might be them clearing out for the bluray release that they were supposedly going to put out last year.

That makes me sad because I paid $60-70 apiece for each of those four premium sets a year ago.  Insane sale. 

Hope Sentai isn't in danger of going out of business. These crazy sales over the past few months aren't painting a good picture for the long-term.
they should be fine. only their older stuff has been part of the crazy sales aside from the limited editions, and the limited editions take up quite a bit of room.

odds are they just need to clear warehouse space.

plus they clearly just got an influx of cash from amazon anyways given they clearly signed a deal with amazon to put most of their new series on amazon strike.

bread's done
Back