Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen it so I cannot comment on quality but it is $10 all the time 

So I say wait for the inevitable $5 but maybe someone who has actually see it can comment on that. 

Today's Mega Deal at RightStuf is the new releases of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex S1 and S2 for $38.49 (45% off).

I have not seen them, but what I've heard is not good.

If anyone is interested, Vudu has the digital seasons of these (UV compatible) currently on sale for $9.99 each.

Today's Mega Deal at RightStuf is the new releases of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex S1 and S2 for $38.49 (45% off).

If anyone is interested, Vudu has the digital seasons of these (UV compatible) currently on sale for $9.99 each.
I was considering grabbing both seasons on vudu considering the price, but if they're just the same version as those bluray releases, even at $9.99 a piece they're not worth it. That whole release was a horror show.

So funimation is adjusting their premium editions
More info here: http://www.fandompost.com/2017/07/21/funimation-talks-limited-edition-anime-dvdbd-release-changes/

The short of it is it will be contained in a single disc case instead of two with a small art book plus potential other extras like post cards what isn't clear is how quality will be.
Will they remain to do hard chip board and end up releasing their premium editions like biz's ranma releases and other releases
Or will they go the aniplex route and add the higher price and have them in an almost paper like case like almost all of aniplexes recent releases

I hope they follow viz and not aniplex model

I have them both. It's true that they aren't the best. The company that is publishing them, and currently owns the rights for publishing Ghost in the Shell in the U.S., is not a company that usually handles anime. And it shows in these releases.

One of the big problems is the intro animation for the first season. It's essentially in standard definition. They may have up-scaled it for the Blu-Ray release, but it is quite obvious that the video itself was not originally 1080p. So the intro video for every episode is a pixelated, grainy mess. Since it was originally created using 3D CGI, they should have gone back to the original studio that made it and had it re-rendered. Of course, there is always the possibility that the CGI studio that produced it no longer exists. (it has been a while) I try not to hold that issue against them too much, but it is still quite noticeable.

Thankfully, these issues don't extend to the CGI in the series itself. (which made liberal use of 3D graphics shaded to look like 2D animation) The video on these sets is just fine. Nice, crisp 1080p visuals with no problems. No noticeable artefacts or compression problems. Aside from the grainy intro video, the visuals on these sets are great, and do a good job of showcasing the original animation.

On the audio side, I also didn't notice any problems. The audio comes through just fine, and has plenty of options, including the Japanese 5.1 surround sound tracks that were originally only available in the DVD limited editions. (from Pioneer) So for audio and video, I didn't have any gripes. I have heard that there may have been some trouble with the English audio in some episodes, but I only listen to the Japanese tracks, so I can't confirm.

But then we come to the subtitles. And the subtitles are problematic. They are there, and that's good. But they are also mediocre, and this is the primary area where this publisher shows their lack of experience with anime. The subtitle's rendering is not well optimized, and the font choices were poor. They aren't nearly as easy to read as you would want, and this spoils the experience somewhat. I also think the localization for the subtitles was not up to proper standards, and could have used a few more passes in translation.

In total, I would recommend the sets for fans of Ghost in the Shell. The series is there, and most of the technicals are on-point. But the somewhat lacking sub-titles do prevent me from giving them a ringing endorsement. If you are on the fence, wait until the price drops or someone puts them on a nice, steep sale. Personally, I'm willing to forgive quite a bit thanks to my fondness for the original Ghost in the Shell series, which continues to be excellent.

The Korean Ghost in the Shell S.A.C and 2nd Gig Blu-ray box sets were the way to go for the best quality releases all around, they had both English Subs and Dub - but unfortunately they've all been out of stock for a while now, and may be OOP. After the US releases came out with all their dub issues, there was a fairly big rush to grab the Korean sets. 7 singles in a nice, heavy, chipboard box for each season, for $57 per season set. 

Quick question for you guys. I ordered FMP: second raid and Steins Gate together for 30.xx but Steins Gate is on back order and even though I selected for both to shipped together, Funi decided to ship FMP by itself. Now my question is will I eventually get Steins Gate? And will I have to pay for the shipping for it as well? Or will they ship it for free as it was part of the original purchase. I've never ordered anything on back order before nor had the ability to order something that's out of stock so I'm not sure what will happen.

So funimation is adjusting their premium editions
More info here: http://www.fandompost.com/2017/07/21/funimation-talks-limited-edition-anime-dvdbd-release-changes/

The short of it is it will be contained in a single disc case instead of two with a small art book plus potential other extras like post cards what isn't clear is how quality will be.
One disc case instead of two sounds great to me. Anything that takes up less shelf space is a plus, unlike Sentai's terribly oversized Akame Ga Kill limited editions.

Quick question for you guys. I ordered FMP: second raid and Steins Gate together for 30.xx but Steins Gate is on back order and even though I selected for both to shipped together, Funi decided to ship FMP by itself. Now my question is will I eventually get Steins Gate? And will I have to pay for the shipping for it as well? Or will they ship it for free as it was part of the original purchase. I've never ordered anything on back order before nor had the ability to order something that's out of stock so I'm not sure what will happen.
No extra cost to you, they will ship it out once it's in stock

Just got my package from Funimation and it's just so annoying. They didn't tape it properly on the top and bottom, so anyone could have lifted the cardboard and taken whatever was inside. 

One disc case instead of two sounds great to me. Anything that takes up less shelf space is a plus, unlike Sentai's terribly oversized Akame Ga Kill limited editions.
Yes, hopefully we'll get a larger quantity of Funi LE chipboard releases in this smaller footprint size, than what we have been getting with them cutting back on their current LE sets - anything to get away from those horrible O-card slips I hate so much.

Well, tomorrow's a big day - Both the Collector's and Special Edition JP sets of Your Name will be shipping out from Japan tomorrow, so I am expecting them to arrive on my front porch on Thursday. I ordered both sets because they have completely different artwork with the packaging. Looking forward to watching that over the weekend.

Oh yeah, Jojo's should ship out tomorrow, I ordered that set for my two daughters. I'll also be picking up the live action Ghost in the Shell 3D movie on Blu-ray at the local BB tomorrow as well. So tomorrow IS a big day... 

I started to watch Grimgar via funimation streaming services and man that's a show that just get you in the feels.Very well done on the voice acting and the story is excellent as it's fantasy with job classes and goblins involved.

I started to watch Grimgar via funimation streaming services and man that's a show that just get you in the feels.Very well done on the voice acting and the story is excellent as it's fantasy with job classes and goblins involved.
It's a really slow anime, but yeah, eventually you just love it by the end.

So I was picking up Fate Zero part 1 & 2 from Amazon UK (if anyone is curious it's ~ $65 vs $290 here) and noticed Baccano on Blu-Ray for 30 pounds (25 pounds w/o VAT). It's pretty much out of print in the US and blu-ray is a no go here. Thought I'd let folks know if they had a blu-ray player that can play UK discs. Came out to about $36.5 USD with shipping (shipping was around 3 pounds). $2.3 / episode is a solid deal for a show you can't really get here. My region-free blu-ray/dvd player just keeps paying for itself.

Yeah I still can't decide the proper course of action for owning both the Fate/Zero and Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works sets.  Of course I'd like the Aniplex sets.  But I can't justify those prices when they're available as imports. 

I cringe every time I see what I payed for them, and I bought them all in once purchase. 

Z0vJJff.png

I just put in a pre-order for the complete Gurren Lagann set that is coming out in a few weeks. Not nearly as bad as Fate: Zero, but there is definitely some Aniplex tax going on with this one. I'm splurging on this one partially because it's Gurren Lagann, and I like me some Gurren Lagann. But it is also includes the movies, which is a nice bonus. And the original Gurren Lagann DVD sets were always a little spotty when it came to playing in different devices.

These faux import taxes always surround some of the most popular and/or critically acclaimed series. The reverse-import trend in Japan is largely to blame, as well as the media publishing industry over there. (and their obsession with freakishly high prices)

I just put in a pre-order for the complete Gurren Lagann set that is coming out in a few weeks. Not nearly as bad as Fate: Zero, but there is definitely some Aniplex tax going on with this one. I'm splurging on this one partially because it's Gurren Lagann, and I like me some Gurren Lagann. But it is also includes the movies, which is a nice bonus. And the original Gurren Lagann DVD sets were always a little spotty when it came to playing in different devices.

These faux import taxes always surround some of the most popular and/or critically acclaimed series. The reverse-import trend in Japan is largely to blame, as well as the media publishing industry over there. (and their obsession with freakishly high prices)
I got the blu-ray box from Zavvi the other day when they had it on the cheap. Telling ya, that region free blu-ray pays for itself.

$5 Akame ga Kill shirts

Angel Beats is a pretty decent price

Got to the Cs and stopped. Not as good as Black Friday sales. though it's only a couple bucks more.

$5 Akame ga Kill shirts

Angel Beats is a pretty decent price

Got to the Cs and stopped. Not as good as Black Friday sales. though it's only a couple bucks more.
Just curious, how good are the BF deals for anime? I just recently started getting into anime more and this thread is pretty new to me.

Just curious, how good are the BF deals for anime? I just recently started getting into anime more and this thread is pretty new to me.
It varies. Sometimes they are stellar and sometimes they are garbage. I'll say this though, especially if you're just getting into anime, there's a really good chance someone will have a great anime sale you'll be able to buy a ton of titles from around that time.

Rightstuf and Sentai tend to have major sales in December. Some of the deals are absolutely great, while others are hit and miss. It is a good idea to note the current prices of things you want, so you can compare the price difference later. Newer releases usually take longer to hit a major price decrease.

There still in the mindset like it's the year 2000 with anime DVD's again. Charging $30 for a 3-4 episode disk back then. Or worse back when it was what $45 for a subtitled only vhs tape of like 2-3 episodes. Serious question do these even sell that well at these prices? When we're in a age where everythings streaming/etc?

There still in the mindset like it's the year 2000 with anime DVD's again. Charging $30 for a 3-4 episode disk back then. Or worse back when it was what $45 for a subtitled only vhs tape of like 2-3 episodes. Serious question do these even sell that well at these prices? When we're in a age where everythings streaming/etc?
Not "again." Japan never went away from this format of rabid 5000 fans supporting then entire series. There's not enough of a market for casuals to support it, save for the ultra hits like Naruto. The only difference is that Japan and the US sharing the same Blu-ray region meant any lost revenue from the 5000 importing from the US is very noticeable.

That's why you have some releases in the US without Japanese audio, or hard subbed, etc.

Yes they do. Some of their sets have even gone out of print, and fetch crazy prices on the reseller market. They've been in business for several years, and still have a steady flow of new releases. The Gurren Lagann series + movies release for $150 is honestly their most affordable set. Most of their 26 episodes series cost around $200-$300 usd. Their sets generally appeal to a more niche market in the anime community that want their releases to be similar to Japanese standards (higher quality in audio/picture). Aniplex does license all their series/movies to legal streaming services such as Netflix/Crunchyroll. So media sales is not their only revenue source.

Their sets generally appeal to a more niche market in the anime community that want their releases to be similar to Japanese standards (higher quality in audio/picture).
I wouldn't say their audio/picture is any better than any of the larger distributors. I do agree a lot of their series may be niche but they also pick up some high roller series. Their pricing sucks we can all agree what I don't agree with is maintaining this price point and dropping off in quality. Reference sword art online (original releases) vs kill la kill releases. They are trimming cents off cost by going from hard chip board to cardstock. I can't determine if this practice has changed since suddenly erased went back to high quality yet other series maintain the lower quality collectors set.

My entire complaint is on packaging alone if I am to pay a premium make it feel premium not something I can pick up for way less from a publisher like Eastern Star.

As for quality of picture and audio pretty much all the studios are doing a fine job sure we get some lower quality releases here and there but those mainly seem to be a cash grab on nostalgia of 90's seris that have no good source material left

I learned just recently, maybe a year ago, that a bunch of series that get released on BD only sell a few thousand copies total. Now who the hell is going to buy something like this I wonder? Anyone who would even consider spending that much money on one purchase already owns several of those sets already. I guess they sell two or three of these to OCD collectors with self-control problems and money to burn, like Gigafrosty, and that's about it.

The JC Pennys sales model strikes again. Mark everything at double and then put things at 50% off. Non-CAGs will think it's a deal!

I learned just recently, maybe a year ago, that a bunch of series that get released on BD only sell a few thousand copies total. Now who the hell is going to buy something like this I wonder? Anyone who would even consider spending that much money on one purchase already owns several of those sets already. I guess they sell two or three of these to OCD collectors with self-control problems and money to burn, like Gigafrosty
Yeah and giga definitely already own 100% of this

that's a average price tag of $40.40 per set! :???:
It depends on the individual sets. Some of them might have an average price higher than $40. And very few full-season Blu-ray sets have an MSRP of less than $40. Still, I know for a fact that I already own several of the listed sets, so there's no way I would spring for such a bundle, even if I did have the money. While large-scale bundles like this can occasionally be decent deals, the discount would have to be much, much higher to convince me to part with that kind of money.

Most people would simply prefer to trickle out expenditures over a protracted amount of time, even if it meant spending more overall. Not many people stock-pile that kind of money for spending on a luxury like media. If you're saving up that much, it's probably for a new computer, or a vacation, not a bunch of Blu-ray sets.

Whoa, I just found about the Ghibli re-issues that are coming out later this year.

My natural, knee-jerk reaction is, "so what?" The original Disney-published versions of these films is still on store shelves, usually at discounted prices. And while those versions of the films weren't praised to the heavens, I also didn't hear too many complaints in terms of digital transfer. So anyone wanting these films can already acquire existing copies of respectable quality at reasonable prices. What's the point of having another version so soon?

But then I noticed that these are going through Shout Factory. Also, they are working directly with Studio Ghibli, and will have full access to all original materials. That changes things somewhat. Shout Factory has a solid track record when it comes to improved digital transfers, and especially when it comes to additional extra features. They frequently go out of their way to provide all sorts of juicy bonus extras on their sets, sometimes even including an extra Blu-Ray disc to squeeze those extras on without compromising the quality of the film. There have been multiple instances where I've gone out of my way to acquire their releases, even for films I already owned Blu-Ray copies of. (Dog Soldiers and The Thing immediately come to mind)

I'm still going to wait and see what kind of extras we can expect from these Ghibli releases. But now I'm at least interested, and won't dismiss them out of hand.

bread's done
Back