Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, for the love of fans, put real subtitles in.
The word is that there are going to be "dub-titles" as well as "sub-titles." (separate subtitle options for the Japanese and English audio tracks) So you will probably get your wish. Of course, this assumes a decent localization on the Japanese audio subtitles, which is why I would want to hear more before pre-ordering.

You raise a good point about the picture quality. As near as I can tell, the original Disney releases had generally high picture quality, without any major complaints about the clarity or compression. This is the biggest reason why most fans might be a bit reluctant to double-dip on the new releases. Even if they did manage to squeeze out some more picture quality, or perhaps do a slightly better job of balancing the colors, we would be talking about an incremental upgrade. Except for the most picky of fans, this would be a negligible difference.

If they can get sentai to release grave of firelies in their slip format as well as lupin from dicotek we will have a complete matching set but.... Let's be honest we will always get Fragmented sets

I didn't see it mentioned here yet but...

Sony Pictures TV Networks to Acquire Funimation, Valuing Anime Distributor at $150 Million

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-31/sony-pictures-tv-to-acquire-majority-stake-in-funimation/.119575

https://deadline.com/2017/07/sony-pictures-tv-networks-acquires-majority-stake-funimation-japanese-anime-1202139652/

https://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sony-pictures-tv-funimation-acquisition-1202511492/

Now who knows what is going to happen? No one really. Funi have posted a FAQ saying things aren't going to change but lets be honest, things can change. For now though it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Bzzzt - You lose!  It was posted over in the general Anime and Manga thread over three hours before your post here... ;)

Japanese company acquiring an american anime company. I wonder what could possibly happen *looks over at Aniplex of America*. Yeah, I think we might be screwed.

Japanese company acquiring an american anime company. I wonder what could possibly happen *looks over at Aniplex of America*. Yeah, I think we might be screwed.
I took this from a post on ann forums

"Before everyone freaks out because of the Aniplex elephant in the room:

Sony Pictures TV =/= Sony Music, which is the branch of Sony Aniplex operates under. Sony Pictures TV acts mostly autonomously from Sony Music.

What this means for Aniplex licenses, FUNi pricing, the future of Texas dubbing, etc. is up in the air. We'll just have to wait and see what Sony Pictures TV does with their new acquisition."

All I know is that if Funi starts inflating their prices like that the market as we know it will cease to exist. I honestly don't know why people buy AoA releases now - it's too expensive. If funi starts doing it I fear people will stop buying anime all together except for the more sensible companies like Viz, discotek, rightstuff...

Some of these companies need to realize that the people who buy anime buy it because they want to, not because they have to.

All I know is that if Funi starts inflating their prices like that the market as we know it will cease to exist. I honestly don't know why people buy AoA releases now - it's too expensive. If funi starts doing it I fear people will stop buying anime all together except for the more sensible companies like Viz, discotek, rightstuff...

Some of these companies need to realize that the people who buy anime buy it because they want to, not because they have to.
Agree strongly with the bold parts. I don't really know why people buy AoA releases either. It turns out that a lot of people just have much more disposable income than me. I'm just not sure how otaku have the funds. But anime fans are rabid and a lot more people purchase AoA BDs than you think.

I hope that Sony didn't purchase Funi for the purpose of turning the company into an Aniplex pricing model. Just imagine the run on blu rays from webstores if that happened lol. It would honestly curb half of my blu ray spending if this happened and I would pretty much only buy Viz, Sentai, and imports.

However, my sensibilities tell me that Funi will remain mostly independant and it will remain business as usual. Unless they start losing money. The main thing to watch for is gradual, incremental price hikes on both the standard and limited edition Funimation releases. I mean who knows? Maybe they will surprise us and start offering a slew of nice LEs like Escaflowne and Haruhi. The market hasn't exactly taken any turns for the worse lately. We are getting cooler new things every single year and all kinds of back catalogue stuff has been getting published. So I'm pretty optimistic.

This is a little worrying. Funimation has for years been a major purveyor of affordable anime releases. They have provided a solid balance between price and quality. And they've pretty good a this, despite their tendency for prolific releases. (why release something once when you could release it three times, wheee!) But seriously, Funimation has kept anime acquisition reasonably affordable. If they shift their focus based on a corporate acquisition, it's going to shake things up in anime publishing.

However, my sensibilities tell me that Funi will remain mostly independant and it will remain business as usual. Unless they start losing money.
Given the valuation on Funimation ($150M), I would guess if they aren't losing money, they make very little. Maybe $10-15M in EBITDA per year, but honestly probably less if Sony is factoring in some synergies with existing businesses they have. I think the likelihood of price increases are very high. This acquisition didn't happen because Funi was looking to expand, it happened because Funi is probably not doing well.

No more anime streaming? Better Sony streaming stuff than Crackle?
Crackle is owned by Sony. And they already have a small number of anime titles that they stream.

Still, this is nuts. $150,000,000 for Funimation? That seems a bit unrealistic, Sony must have offered them more than the company was worth to convince them to sell.

On a separate note, my JoJo set arrived. Has anyone else's?

It's a fantastic set. Nice gloss clam case, which hold the BD case, 160 page booklet and cards. The book is great because it has interviews from the production crew. It's one of my favorite sets I own. I recommend it.

Now to watch!

It's a fantastic set. Nice gloss clam case, which hold the BD case, 160 page booklet and cards. The book is great because it has interviews from the production crew. It's one of my favorite sets I own. I recommend it.

Now to watch!
My set should be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully it arrives without any damage.

Crackle is owned by Sony. And they already have a small number of anime titles that they stream.

Still, this is nuts. $150,000,000 for Funimation? That seems a bit unrealistic, Sony must have offered them more than the company was worth to convince them to sell.
Yeah, I know Crackle= Sony. You can't find majority of Sony Movies on Streaming sites (netflix, hulu), The purchase of Funimation could be for a better streaming service. Like Apple with Beats. They just wanted the Beats music app, Dr. Dre and The headphones were a bonus in the sell.

The purchase of Funimation could be a for a better streaming service.
It's entirely possible that the primary purpose of the acquisition is to gain access to Funimation's streaming licenses. Funimation is one of the big names in anime publishing, and their library of licensed material is enormous. They've managed to gain a lot of big-name licenses over the years, including some very substantial Shonen mainstays, as well as some of the really popular legacy shows whose former publishers went out of business. A lot of the formerly Bandai-published shows are now in Funimation's back pocket. Not all of them, but definitely some of the big ones. (Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, etc...)

Being able to consolidate Funimation's library of content into their own streaming video service would definitely give it a shot in the arm.

Newly added items to Right Stuf's catalog receive a 5% member discount instead of previous 10%, makes membership even less  attractive now.

Bzzzt - You lose! It was posted over in the general Anime and Manga thread over three hours before your post here... ;)
Pshh like I go over there at all. And you hush, I swear to God when I come to visit I'll bring all my idol anime and we'll watch all the DUBS!!!!

Newly added items to Right Stuf's catalog receive a 5% member discount instead of previous 10%, makes membership even less attractive now.
Hmm I just checked and my GA is still giving me 10%.

News on my end:

I just got confirmation from the Viz facebook page that they did indeed get the license for "Walk like an Egyptian" for the Stardust Crusaders dub.

In case anyone wanted to know.

I'm also one who really loved the first few episodes, unfortunately I haven't had a chance to finish it yet. Pretty much any anime that is a serious drama instead of the typical, nauseating moe comedy is exactly what I look for as a decent watch. I did hear the animation of last few episodes dropped off big-time in quality, as I guess they were rushing to finish the cour before the company went under. And, I guess the story will just be left hanging for all eternity. A real shame Gangsta didn't fully develop into multiple seasons. 

I always hear it starts off promising but falls flat by the end. I don't know manga wise, but that's what I heard about the anime. Maybe I'll watch it one day. I'm going to start watching ones I bought already.

P.S. I honestly didn't know I can watch Japanese region movies on blu-ray. I'm about to import more stuff from there.

Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan are all in the same Blu-ray Region A as the US, so you can play those Blu-rays on US players without any region-free mods. If any of those releases are English friendly, with subtitles or dub, then you're good to go. I've imported 21 Japanese anime releases and 3 Korean releases this year so far. Just be aware the pricing for anime from Japan can be quite a bit saltier than US domestic pricing. Maybe not as much of a markup for an anime movie as for an entire series, but JP releases generally will run 5 to 10 times more than what you're used to seeing for US pricing.  For instance, the 2 cours of the Little Witch Academia TV series releasing now are spread out over 9 volumes in Japan, 3 episodes per volume, and would run about $500 total with shipping to import them all. 

Finished gangstas 12 episodes on vrv. It was decent overall but that ending wasn't even a cliff hanger it was a blatent cancelation just ends like the end of an episode and you know you are missing out on more of the story.

Now to watch!
It is very nice, but I wish the outer box had some sort of actual closing mechanism, whether it be a clasp or magnets or... Anything, really.

Also if you don't already have it, I recommend the new Manga in Theory and Practice book from Araki. It's really interesting stuff.

Put a big order in at Zavvi this week. I'm exicted!  Their shipping is actually insanely cheap too. Gotta get that sweet sweet EU chipboard yo. 

Don't know if this is some kind of accident but HIDIVE suddenly has amazon strike exclusives available to US audiences watch them while you can.
Love & Lies
Sword Oratoria
Princess Principal
Hitorijime My Hero
Sagrade Reset
Vatican Miracle Examiner
Made in Abyss
I would say they are allowing it sense HiDive is pretty much owned by Section 23/Sentai. It is owned by the group that owns them. I'm all for watching Love & Lies without AS and crap Prime. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I just signed up for the free 7 day trial of HDIVE just to watch Made in the Abyss - and I've watched the first 3 eps already this morning...  I'll probably stay a paying 1080p member at least long enough to watch LotGH as well.  

Put a big order in at Zavvi this week. I'm exicted! Their shipping is actually insanely cheap too. Gotta get that sweet sweet EU chipboard yo.
Just be aware Zavvi uses the crappiest packing for shipping out of all the UK retailers - mainly just flat cardboard envelopes or jiffy bags - so I wouldn't really get LE Box sets from them unless you put multiple sets in an order, so they have to ship them in a box. Sounds like that is what you did, fortunately...

Just be aware Zavvi uses the crappiest packing for shipping out of all the UK retailers - mainly just flat cardboard envelopes or jiffy bags - so I wouldn't really get LE Box sets from them unless you put multiple sets in an order, so they have to ship them in a box. Sounds like that is what you did, fortunately...
Yeah I've heard the same thing. I ordered four LEs so I certainly hope they come inside a decent box.

The last time I ordered form them it was just a single Perfect Blue steelbook. It came in this really nice self-contained wrap-around cardboard box just bigger than the size of the case. Most of the edges and corners were doubled over. It was impressive. I hadn't seen that kind of packaging used before.

It sounds like the bad thing you can do is order a single LE from them.

I would say they are allowing it sense HiDive is pretty much owned by Section 23/Sentai. It is owned by the group that owns them. I'm all for watching Love & Lies without AS and crap Prime. Thanks for the heads up.
seems I was right all the current season anime strike shows are no longer available but sword oratoria is so maybe we will be getting all last season strike shows.
Spoke to soon dang wish I wasn't so tierd last night I would have binged sword oratoria

seems I was right all the current season anime strike shows are no longer available but sword oratoria is so maybe we will be getting all last season strike shows.
Spoke to soon dang wish I wasn't so tierd last night I would have binged sword oratoria
Dang it you're right. I wish I would have stayed up as well. So sleepy lol. And I wish I would have taken a screencap! Dang...

Dang it you're right. I wish I would have stayed up as well. So sleepy lol. And I wish I would have taken a screencap! Dang...
I thought about trying to do an offline backup with chrome but alas that would have been too much work

I left a tab open on my pc as a precaution and they pull the you have too many streams playing to prevent me from viewing the video... sad sad day.

On a side note when you see HIDIVE with all the Anime strike simulcast content the service looks way more whole content wise then it currently does.

Yeah the simulcast section is pretty sparse. :( Overall though I do like it since it has a crap ton of Sentai dubs. And once they get the app done I'll be watching them on my XB1.

Yeah, I just signed up for the free 7 day trial of HDIVE just to watch Made in the Abyss - and I've watched the first 3 eps already this morning... I'll probably stay a paying 1080p member at least long enough to watch LotGH as well.
And, I dropped my membership already, they pissed me off that they removed the Strike shows that quick - I got to watch 3 episodes of Made in Abyss this morning, and was just getting into it, and now it's gone, so now I'm gone.

Has anyone gotten the Lupin Part 2 DVD set? It's my most favourite anime of all time, but I'm curious if the packaging or compression is inadequate -- after all, it seems like it's a lot of episodes crammed onto very few DVDs.

I was also hoping we'd get a big BR box like Japan did, but apparently not. At least this set includes the dub, which I vastly prefer.

I'm curious if the packaging or compression is inadequate -- after all, it seems like it's a lot of episodes crammed onto very few DVDs.
If it's Funimation, then yes, the compression will always and forever be inadequate. This is the glaring issue many of us have long held as our primary issue with Funimation. When they began dumping 5+ episodes onto a single DVD the compression was very much crap. But even before that when they were only packing up to five episodes on a single volume DVD they unexplainabley had frequent noticeable compression issues. Not saying this is a issue exclusive to Funimation, but rather it is a issue that I have simply come to expect as a standard "feature" from them. Pricing is right on their "S.A.V.E." releases though, so I tend not to complain about it as much as I use to back when they were still doing standard volume releases.

So I started collecting some figures. Probably one of the most expensive things an anime collector can do out side of importing anime from Japan.
I have been using otakumode.com their shipping is really fast their pricing is better than rightstuf ( they don't add that stupid surcharge that rightstuf does) and you get back Tom points cash that can be used to buy other figures (always seems to exclude aniplex + figures although you earn points from those) figures is their business and as such they package them very smartly and very protective. If you want to pick up a figure I can't suggest them enough.

So I started collecting some figures. Probably one of the most expensive things an anime collector can do out side of importing anime from Japan.
I almost started collecting figures about 3 years ago, and then decided against even getting started, and I cancelled the first two figure pre-orders I ever made. I actually did decide to import anime releases from Japan instead...

I almost started collecting figures about 3 years ago, and then decided against even getting started, and I cancelled the two figure pre-orders I first made. I went with importing JP anime releases instead...
Probably a good call, Over $100+ per figure they look nice but thats all they do lol.

I still have about 6 Ghibli films I need to import to finish up my Japanese Ghibli collection.

I have imported the following blurays

Most the studio ghibli films

Oriemo complete season 1

5 cenemiters per second international edition

Code geass nunnally in wonderland LE

Code geass akito Exile (all volumes) LE

Anthem of the heart LE

Ghost in the shell arise (Official imports) LE

Ghost in the shell pyrotechnic cult

The newest Ghost in the shell anime movie LE

And weirdly Clone wars season 2 (The Japanese release had cool extras.)

If anyone has any questions about any of those releases feel free to ask. :)

If it's Funimation, then yes, the compression will always and forever be inadequate.
It's not. It's Discotek, who have the Lupin rights now. Their other releases I've gotten have been alright, but for some reason Jigen's Gravestone is the only one they've put on BR.

Probably a good call, Over $100+ per figure they look nice but thats all they do lol.

I still have about 6 Ghibli films I need to import to finish up my Japanese Ghibli collection.

I have imported the following blurays...

If anyone has any questions about any of those releases feel free to ask. :)
Looks like you're off to a good start - just give up on those figures already and keep going with the imports, lol! I have all of those JP releases except Oreimo and Clone Wars. I'm not sure of exactly how many Japanese imports I have in total, but I've got five 36" wide media shelves filled with them, so I'm sure it's at least 250+, too many to list here, lol. I do have all 24 of the Ghibli silhouette releases including the white Totoro/Grave combo set, and all the pre-Ghibli and Ghibli-related titles that are English friendly too. I've also got pretty much every Ghost in the Shell release, including the original movies, the GitS SAC and 2nd Gig Blu-ray boxes, and the Arise steelbook. A few of my favorite Japanese LImited Edition Box sets I have are Kara no Kyoukai, Ergo Proxy, Last Exile, Fate/Zero and Fate/SN UBW, Gargantia, Patlabor, Mardock Scramble, and all of Space Battleship Yamato 2199. I hope you'll have the incentive to keep collecting more of those nice Japanese releases - Good Luck!

I almost started collecting figures about 3 years ago, and then decided against even getting started, and I cancelled the first two figure pre-orders I ever made. I actually did decide to import anime releases from Japan instead...
What I did a few years ago for anime figures has worked well, find a character and stick to it. Been too long since I've bought another Lum...

bread's done
Back