Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

After watching as much Tokyo Ghoul as I have, I wonder if the anime adaptation is just bad. It's so extraordinarily disjointed....the story just bounces all over the place. I feel like if the story was laid out logically and they adapted it better, it would be a much better show. These glimpses of a strong show appear here and there, but then get buried in the bouncing from sub plot to sub plot with big gaps between them.

Hmmm, have you checked out the Sumo anime? I'm caught up with it an it's pretty good. It's your typical sports anime. The pacing is good and the story is moving along nicely. Out of all the new shows I'm probably enjoying this one the most.

Run with the Wind is another sports anime I'm watching that went into blind and ended up enjoying it. Bunny Girl Senpai if you're in the mood for drama, a little comedy and romance. I think I remember you saying you didn't care for Slime Isekai but I've really been enjoying it. And stay far away from Conception. What a load of trash that was.

And if you guys have Netflix we get Castlevania on Friday.

I finished up Seven Deadly Sins season 3 the other night. It was good, but I enjoyed the first season way more than this. All the power level talk really cheapened the show for me.
Mmm we definitely have similar tastes lol. Gave slime more time, liked it. Started watching that sumo show, liked it. Decided to watch the Bunny Girl show, surprisingly good. That may actually be the ninja hit of this season. I'm afraid of watching Run w/ the Wind....I don't want another Yowapeda disappointment. I'll give it a go when I have some free time. I heard from Gigguk's video about Conception. That sounds like a complete load of shit. He said the same thing I did about the Goblin first episode w/ respect to Conception.

7 Deadly Sins....yeah the power level thing was kind of dumb. It is a shounen though so.....not too surprising something like that came up. Big bad show up! Training time! Powah up-a! You win! I liked the story progression, but yeah, first season is still king.

I'm a little confused, and I'm hoping that you guys can help me out. So, I was sitting here playing the Fallout 76 Beta right up until the servers got shut down. And, well, I appear to still be in my house. No sign of radiation outside, I keep checking my clothes and they aren't turning into power armor or even combat armor. It seems as though I'm still in the same place living the same life.

What's the deal?

I hope you people are mentally prepared for a seven page checklist, because that's what this is sizing up to be. :whee:

soultaker468x60ani.gif

After watching as much Tokyo Ghoul as I have, I wonder if the anime adaptation is just bad. It's so extraordinarily disjointed....the story just bounces all over the place. I feel like if the story was laid out logically and they adapted it better, it would be a much better show. These glimpses of a strong show appear here and there, but then get buried in the bouncing from sub plot to sub plot with big gaps between them.
I don't know about the other seasons but the first season is a horrid adaption of the manga.

They completely replaced the main character with a shonen idiot instead of the character with some intelligence from the manga.

changed a bunch of motivations making a number of plot points based on stupidity instead of traps

they changed the order of some stuff ect.

but yeah, if you somewhat enjoyed the show just go read the manga. It's way better written.

I don't know about the other seasons but the first season is a horrid adaption of the manga.

They completely replaced the main character with a shonen idiot instead of the character with some intelligence from the manga.

changed a bunch of motivations making a number of plot points based on stupidity instead of traps

they changed the order of some stuff ect.

but yeah, if you somewhat enjoyed the show just go read the manga. It's way better written.
That's a shame. It definitely feels like there's something good here, but was clearly screwed up. I'll have to check out the manga when I have time.

Anyone watching A Certain Magical Index S3? Is it me or is the plot here totally fucked up? Start with the usual nonsense....then suddenly moving back to Academy City. Suddenly it's a complete shit show of random plot points that don't make a whole lot of sense/seem very ancillary. Then this one chick loses her shit and starts killing people?! I mean, the battles are interesting but uh....without a story driving them it's kind of dumb. Or I guess I should say what I gather of the key story plot point is weak as hell. Meh. Curious if this is a bad adaptation or what.

Mmm we definitely have similar tastes lol. Gave slime more time, liked it. Started watching that sumo show, liked it. Decided to watch the Bunny Girl show, surprisingly good. That may actually be the ninja hit of this season. I'm afraid of watching Run w/ the Wind....I don't want another Yowapeda disappointment. I'll give it a go when I have some free time. I heard from Gigguk's video about Conception. That sounds like a complete load of shit. He said the same thing I did about the Goblin first episode w/ respect to Conception.

7 Deadly Sins....yeah the power level thing was kind of dumb. It is a shounen though so.....not too surprising something like that came up. Big bad show up! Training time! Powah up-a! You win! I liked the story progression, but yeah, first season is still king.
We seem to be watching the same shows this season. But I'm also watching JoJo and Golden Kamuy.

Golden Kamuy is a weird show. It's parts bizarre fetish stuff, historical, outdoor cooking, nature education, comedy, action, with crappy animation mixed in. I like it but it's all over the place.

Due to the enormity of a seven page anime DVD publisher checklist, I asked a fellow anime enthusiast/collector to preview and proof it. Barring the unforseen, the checklist will be going live for public access next week Friday. Giving us a good seven days to error check as I made the mistake of making the CPM - U.S. Manga Corps Checklist live same day I had completed it and wound up having to update it twice after initial release due to glaring errors, apologies to all who wasted a couple sheets of paper printing off the errored initial version.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, it's been 5 episodes of Goblin Slayer for me and I think I want to say some things about the show. Mostly in case Starkillr stopped after the first episode.

It seems so far like the first episode was nothing more than the producers trying extra hard to be dark and edgy. The next four episodes are nowhere near the same tone and seem much more like an R rated version of Grimgar than they do Berserk. There's still plenty of time for that to happen again, but it isn't a constant theme.

That's not to say that I think the show is all that good, it just isn't as unpleasant as say the first few minutes of Magical Girl Site was.

So, it's been 5 episodes of Goblin Slayer for me and I think I want to say some things about the show. Mostly in case Starkillr stopped after the first episode.

It seems so far like the first episode was nothing more than the producers trying extra hard to be dark and edgy. The next four episodes are nowhere near the same tone and seem much more like an R rated version of Grimgar than they do Berserk. There's still plenty of time for that to happen again, but it isn't a constant theme.

That's not to say that I think the show is all that good, it just isn't as unpleasant as say the first few minutes of Magical Girl Site was.
I'm still watching it and I agree. Someone mentioned that it seems like the world is actually a D&D setting where a DM is directing things and given all the dice rolling I am inclined to agree. So far though the story isn't really all that great!

its based on D&D but it is a game between Gods. And Goblin Slayer turns ouy to be a uniqie existence who keeps denying fate. In other words, GSs game piece is saying fk you to their choices

I don't understand what the wood shaving dunnage reference is about people keep using when they're posting about Stan Lee's death. Can anyone explain that?

Anyone seen the latest trailer for the DB Super movie? I lubs it, stokes my DBZ love. It's really just a trailer of ass kickings as per usual, so no clue why any of this stuff is happening, but I suppose that doesn't matter as much huh? I wonder how they brought Broly back this time. Broly from another universe!? lawl

The original Broly movies aren't canon, so this AFAIK is their first meeting
Correct. Only canon movies are Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F, and the upcoming Broly film.

Kale, the Female version of Broly of Universe 6, was made canon before Universe 7 Broly.

Correct. Only canon movies are Battle of Gods, Resurrection of F, and the upcoming Broly film.

Kale, the Female version of Broly of Universe 6, was made canon before Universe 7 Broly.
Really? Wasn't there a flashback at some point in the regular series about this? Damn maybe it was just my own flashbacks haha. Well either way, I'm looking forward to it.

I got caught up with my current shows and tried a few new ones

Chio's School Road - This was surprisingly funny. Reminds a bit of Saiki Kun. Girl just wants to live a normal life with no drama and doesn't want to stand out. Thing is on her way to school she runs into trouble almost daily. I'm really enjoying this so I'll stick with it. Only problem is the creepy fan service for 16 year old girls.

Tsurune - Archery sports anime. I was reluctant to get into another sports show since I already have sumo and running, but I decided to give this a shot. Glad I did because it's pretty good. I think I like this more than running, but sumo is still the best sports anime this season.

Ms. Vampire who lives in my neighborhood -  thought this might be a cute little distraction. I feel like they could do more with the "vampire" aspect, but it's more of like a "odd couple" "Bert & Ernie" relationship I've seen a million times already. It's not bad but it's not doing it for me so I dropped it.

Reincarnated into a Slime anime is pretty entertaining/solid. A lot of the premises are arbitrary and dumb, but I still like it! Looking forward to see how this progresses. I wonder if isekai shows seem more interesting than other show premises because they are relatable and the kind of thing we all inherently fantasize about from time to time?

Also pretty pleased with the latest SAO arc. Show is moving along nicely! The intro song I didn't really think was that great, but it kept playing in my head endlessly when I least expected it. Now I like it >.<

Started watching the Log Horizon I got from Best Buy tonight. I realize it's not exactly news, but I really enjoyed the first four episodes. Isekai is a tough sell for me sometimes, because I need the show to work without solely relying on fourth wall/real world story aspects.

What I mean is, I prefer the shows where you can remove all of the real world references and still have a good fantasy/sci-fi series.

Started watching the Log Horizon I got from Best Buy tonight. I realize it's not exactly news, but I really enjoyed the first four episodes. Isekai is a tough sell for me sometimes, because I need the show to work without solely relying on fourth wall/real world story aspects.

What I mean is, I prefer the shows where you can remove all of the real world references and still have a good fantasy/sci-fi series.
It's a good show. Could've been better if it wasn't marketed as a children's show. lol

Also sucks that we might never get a follow up due to the Author's Tax Evasion stuff.

I loved the first season. Great characters and that database intro. Good times

But the show lost me a bit in the second season

When it started focusing on the newbie characters and shyed away from Shiroe and has main crew

Just watched episode 7 of Goblin Slayer.

Look, I understand what just happened and I like artistic things as much as the next guy, but I really didn't need 1 minute and 44 seconds of canary blinking to pad out the episode.

Attention fellow anime collectors!

Printable checklists for the following publisher's anime releases are now available for your personal use.:

AN Entertainment
Anime Crash
Hirameki International
Central Park Media
NIS America (revised)
Pioneer Geneon
Urban Vision

http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/collect/

Feedback and comments welcomed.

Steins;Gate 0 question:

I just finished rewatching SG and the movie (so good!) and was thinking of giving SG0 a shot. Reading its synopsis on MAL though, I'm not sure if I should watch it. So for those who have seen it:

1) Is it depressing, or does it just start out sad and work its way up?

2) Does it ruin the feel of the series? I love how SG and the movie end. Considering SG0 starts as an alternate ending to SG, I'm worried it may change my sense of the series.

Reincarnated as a Slime is coming along nicely.

Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai is also really good as is Zombieland Saga.

Reincarnated as a Slime is coming along nicely.

Rascal does not dream of Bunny Girl Senpai is also really good as is Zombieland Saga.
The synopsis for Zombieland Saga sounds....stupid. Is the actual story/character development good? Bunny Girl is such a good show despite the horrific title.

just watch it. We had a ton of shows that with stupider plot synopsis and they turned out really great

Steins;Gate 0 question:

I just finished rewatching SG and the movie (so good!) and was thinking of giving SG0 a shot. Reading its synopsis on MAL though, I'm not sure if I should watch it. So for those who have seen it:

1) Is it depressing, or does it just start out sad and work its way up?

2) Does it ruin the feel of the series? I love how SG and the movie end. Considering SG0 starts as an alternate ending to SG, I'm worried it may change my sense of the series.
Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this so decided to respond.

It got pulled from VRV before I could finish it. I was watching the English dub since that's how I watched the original and the voices just matched up, that's the only reason. Anyways the show started out good. Without spoiling anything I did like where it was going. Then maybe 13 episodes in I was getting lost. Maybe because I was watching it a little buzzed at times and your brain needs to be on all cylinders for this one. Again I didn't finish it but it wasn't mind-fuck after mind-fuck that the original was dropping on me.

for your questions:

1 - Yes, it gets rather depressing but hints of sweet scenes especially between Okarin and his "harem". You really feel Okarin's depression and sense of futility.

2 - It doesn't ruin the feel IMO. Once you understand the path this Okarin took you should be fine. Still the original is so good, it's really hard to beat. But I don't see why you shouldn't enjoy this too.

bread's done
Back