Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Smartphone is worth a watch. One of the better shows this season IMO. It's your typical run-of-the-mill trapped in a fantasy world with a harem. And the fact that God himself is making the MC super over powered.

Anyone else watching Classroom of the Elite or Fastest Fingers? I'm 3 episodes in for each. They were just okay but I'm think about dropping them unless anyone can recommend sticking with them. I'm on the fence.

And Super continues to be pure mindless fun. It's great to have a show you can switch your brain off too and still get it.

Smartphone is worth a watch. One of the better shows this season IMO. It's your typical run-of-the-mill trapped in a fantasy world with a harem. And the fact that God himself is making the MC super over powered.

Anyone else watching Classroom of the Elite or Fastest Fingers? I'm 3 episodes in for each. They were just okay but I'm think about dropping them unless anyone can recommend sticking with them. I'm on the fence.

And Super continues to be pure mindless fun. It's great to have a show you can switch your brain off too and still get it.
Yeah, Super is a nice, steady winner. FFF is ok, it's enjoyable enough.

FFF I dropped after 4 episodes. Got boring IMHO. Smartphone is a boring but OK light novel read (on j-novel.club....best subscription based light novel service...though they're farther on in most series now). I'll check out the anime.

I finally watched Koi to Uso. Need to catch up but this early stuff is super cringy. I didn't remember as much cringe from the manga (though there is plenty). Aho Girl is my turn my brain off anime. Stupid and varied....no development or anything but funny enough for it's 12 minute run-time or so.

Next on my watch list is more Koi to Uso, Vatican one (haven't seen any) and I think I have 1 or 2 in my list to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, finally got to watch the second part of Little Witch Academia. Awesome show, definitely going to snag it if they ever put it out on blu-ray. Totally a kids show, but so good! @Rodimus it's time for you to finish it up too

I plan on watching LWA with my daughter. She's been in Japan for a month and came back recently so I've been looking forward to it.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but for those who might care. Vudu has all 7 season of Ranma 1/2 in both formats currently streaming for free with some commercials.  I've been watching most of it of since Monday.

What I've been watching:

Welcome to the Ballroom: Still solid imo. Having read the manga, I'm excited to see what is next.

Restaurant to Another World: I like food.

Gamers: Misunderstandings the Anime

Smartphone: It's average. Nothing new. I still like it though. The best character in the show is totally the Tiger. I'm assuming the author of this series is into pettanko (besides the Sakura Wars look-alike and the magic twin sister)

Fastest Fingers: Watched this at the recommendation of Kotaku (seriously). Originally ignored it because I thought it was some superhero show due to the promotional artwork. I'm enjoying it. I'm basically interpreting as a Sport Show for Nerds, with some super serial rivalries :lol:

Kakegurui: It's hot. Their faces are too gud. The best part about this show is the VA for Jabami. She's the voice for Ayase from Oreimo, and Miyuki from Irregular at Magic High School.

Knights and Magic: I like mechas. I must be trash for saying this, but I like the "Reincarnated/transported into Another World blah blah" sort of stuff. I mean, some of my favorite stories are from that genre. "Arifureta, The Rising of the Shield Hero, Hachinan Tte, Death March, risou no himo seikatsu, etc"

My First Girlfriend is a Girl: Lewd.

FFF I dropped after 4 episodes. Got boring IMHO. Smartphone is a boring but OK light novel read (on j-novel.club....best subscription based light novel service...though they're farther on in most series now). I'll check out the anime.
Have you read Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki? I can definitely recommend it. I couldn't stop reading it when I got my hands on the digital copies. Fairly enjoyable story imo. If it gets picked up for a physical run, I will gladly buy it.

This thread isn't super lively, but I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the Netflix Death Note movie.
It's alrite for a Western Adaptation. Certainly better than Dragon Ball Evolutions. The Japanese Live Action films are still better (srsly). The Ryuk Design is cool, even the mangaka liked it. It kinda leaves room for a sequel?

Probably the best thing about the movie was William Dafoe's stellar performance as Ryuk.

The Misa equivalent of this movie is a composite character of Misa and 2 other characters. I didn't like her.

The movie was missing the best scene in the anime (No potato chips!)

I thought the performance for L was great.

I think I basically agree with all of that, except I never saw the other live action versions. Who are the two other characters combined into Misa/Mia?

This thread isn't super lively, but I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the Netflix Death Note movie.
I'll get around to it eventually. There's just too much to watch. But with the reviews I've seen it's not like I'm dying to watch it. Pretty much I'm going in for Defoe as Ryuk and that's it.

DB Super - How crazy would it have been if:

they actually killed off Roshi?

I'll get around to it eventually. There's just too much to watch. But with the reviews I've seen it's not like I'm dying to watch it. Pretty much I'm going in for Defoe as Ryuk and that's it.

Isn't he immortal or something? I don't understand how he would die

Roshi can't age? I actually didn't know that. What's the story behind that?
Master Roshi ate a ton of Paradise Grass, a herb that grant additional years to someone's life if you ate a little. He probably ate it when he was old.

Roshi also had a Pet Phoenix that grants immortality. Ironically, the bird died.

Master Roshi ate a ton of Paradise Grass, a herb that grant additional years to someone's life if you ate a little. He probably ate it when he was old.

Roshi also had a Pet Phoenix that grants immortality. Ironically, the bird died.
I'm guessing a lot of this was explained in Dragon Ball. I missed a big chunk of the Demon King Piccolo arc.

I'm guessing a lot of this was explained in Dragon Ball. I missed a big chunk of the Demon King Piccolo arc.
that is the case. Roshi claims he can live for another 1000 years. But we don't know if that's true or not. And I doubt he would want to live that long. :lol:

I really like how Toriyama gave both Roshi and Krillen a little time in the spotlight. DBS has been a good watch so far.

I thought I'd mention this here not sure if there is any fans of  aria, but figured post in case there is.

Nozomi Entertainment has made a kickstarter to bring it to blu ray and dub it. It'll coarse still have Japanese track in it.

I'm planning to back it wouldn't mind it on blu ray and have it dubbed. The Pair Double plus pledge isn't too bad comes with season 1, season 2 part 1 and part 2 plus couple patches to sew on or whatever. They have ton other rewards with extras too.

From what I can tell from the reddit AMA and info on the kickstarter page they do plan to release it to sell, but at later date so the ones who pledged on the kickstarter get it first.

I probably won't back Aria because from what I've watched so far it doesn't draw me in enough to care. For those of you who do care, this is your chance to get it on blu!

Imma wait. I backed Time of Eve Deluxe and then Rightstuf put it on sale. :lol: 

Im assuming the same will happen a few years down the line

I probably won't back Aria because from what I've watched so far it doesn't draw me in enough to care. For those of you who do care, this is your chance to get it on blu!
Well, I also have very little interest in the Aria series itself, and definitely no interest whatsoever in an English dub - but I still am pledged for all the marbles with Prima Double Plus right now, mainly just to support the Kickstarter with Shawne and Ann. But, I'm also in it for the Collector's Box and the Guide Book, neither of which will be available at retail. I supported both of Ann's previous Kickstarters for Time of EVE and Skip Beat at tiers over $300 each, and it looks like it will be the same for this one by the time it's all said and done.

I really have to give Gamers! a lot of credit. Despite the cliches, the episodes are absolutely hilarious. This episode was great with the Game of Life knock-off. Some of the squares they landed on had me rofl

I really have to give Gamers! a lot of credit. Despite the cliches, the episodes are absolutely hilarious. This episode was great with the Game of Life knock-off. Some of the squares they landed on had me rofl
I feel the same. It's the most "misunderstanding" anime I've ever seen, but it's fun. You just know eventually things will work out, and that's what I'm waiting for.

Anyone else watch the latest 'A Centaur's Life"? Nothing to do with the main character but it was unexpected and rather profound. I was giving this show a barely passing grade but that last episode reeled me back in.

Also getting caught up with Classroom of the Elite. It's not bad.

I feel the same. It's the most "misunderstanding" anime I've ever seen, but it's fun. You just know eventually things will work out, and that's what I'm waiting for.

Anyone else watch the latest 'A Centaur's Life"? Nothing to do with the main character but it was unexpected and rather profound. I was giving this show a barely passing grade but that last episode reeled me back in.

Also getting caught up with Classroom of the Elite. It's not bad.
Centaur's Life just doesn't do it for me so I dropped it after episode 1. I did start watching that Cellphone in another world anime. The knock off from SAO is lol-worthy in how obvious it is and kind of pathetic. While it's entertaining, the cliches are so blah, but it's just above my threshold to keep me interested. It's pretty pathetic though when you consider shows like Konosuba that are using a tired theme, but make it absolutely hilarious and awesome. However this season is kind of weak so whatever, I'll roll with it. Rest of the shows I'm watching continue to be good, though I'm eager for new seasons of old favorites that should be coming soon...

Smartphone can get annoying with the cliche's and how super damn OP the main guy is. But it's entertaining and the characters are likable. And MC can get a harem going like nobodies business.

You're not missing much with Centaur. Go watch Interviews w/ Monster Girls for a charming show or Monster Masume for more ecchi monster girls. Centaur tries to be both and it's just not well done.

Smartphone is obviously not deep, and pretty predictable. But I find it entertaining, laughing at how ridiculous it is. He beats everything with Slip and that alone is hilarious to me.

Ugh Netflix Death Note is so bad. Only got 30 minutes in. Defoe as Ryuk was brilliant, but that's the only positive thing I have to say. Light's actor is awful. His freak out scene was so much cringe.

Finished running through Little Witch Academia this weekend. Charmed my pants off. Loved the shorts going in, and I thought the anime did a pretty great job of capturing the magic.

Also went ape on the Boku no Hero manga and caught up over the weekend. Now I have a big void in my heart.

Smartphone is just way too convenient for my taste. I still watch it for the cast besides the MC. Like. The Tiger Familiar is so great even she's like "wtf is going on" most of the time.

I miss you Konosuba. 

Smartphone is just way too convenient for my taste. I still watch it for the cast besides the MC. Like. The Tiger Familiar is so great even she's like "wtf is going on" most of the time.

I miss you Konosuba.
Smartphone is just watching the MC win at everything in life. The dude is already max level, harem, best buds with the king, rich with manson and servants. Oh, and he's engaged to the princess. All in 8 episodes.

He is engaged to all of them whether he likes it or not.
I'm honestly baffled by the "oh, why are all these girls interested in me? ewww" mentality that happens so often in these shows. You got chicks that are interested in you? Do like School Days (sans murder)!

I'm honestly baffled by the "oh, why are all these girls interested in me? ewww" mentality that happens so often in these shows. You got chicks that are interested in you? Do like School Days (sans murder)!
Shame he's no Issei Hyodou or any person who goes with the flow (but doesn't end up like School Days)

Finished watching first season of Aria on crunchyroll. I liked most of the episodes, but I despise the cat.  It looks retarded and the anthropomorphization of it was annoying. Not a show I'd be willing to buy, but I understand why a lot of folks like it.

I second you on that ugly cat - I dislike cats to begin with, and I also can't stand cutesy animal sidekicks as a mechanism for comic relief. The anime itself is pretty meh, I'm only staying in it to support the Kickstarter for Shawne and Ann, and for the exclusive chipboard box, guidebook, and Blu-ray upscale. 

Started watching Classroom of the Elite out of boredom since I've been sick and had nothing to do all week. I didn't realize this was a "serious" version of Baka to Shokanju. Loving it so far, though of course the boob-theatrics (as I like to call current anime with their emphasis on ridiculous boobs and direction in the shows) takes away from the show. That was what made me not want to watch in the first place, it just seemed like a boobie fest, which can be had in just about any anime these days. However it's surprisingly good.

Also, Re: Creators finally ended. They completely didn't address what happened to one character in that show, which I found hilarious. I think I would probably give it a 7/10. Enjoyable, has it's flaws, but worthy of a purchase whenever it comes out on blu-ray. Concept was great, characters were interesting, action great, some issues with pacing/dialogue. Good ride though.

Excited to see main girl Chinatsu in the next part of Welcome to the Ballroom

Started watching Classroom of the Elite out of boredom since I've been sick and had nothing to do all week. I didn't realize this was a "serious" version of Baka to Shokanju. Loving it so far, though of course the boob-theatrics (as I like to call current anime with their emphasis on ridiculous boobs and direction in the shows) takes away from the show. That was what made me not want to watch in the first place, it just seemed like a boobie fest, which can be had in just about any anime these days. However it's surprisingly good.
I started watching that too and then I got lazy. :lol:

Also, Re: Creators finally ended. They completely didn't address what happened to one character in that show, which I found hilarious. I think I would probably give it a 7/10. Enjoyable, has it's flaws, but worthy of a purchase whenever it comes out on blu-ray. Concept was great, characters were interesting, action great, some issues with pacing/dialogue. Good ride though.
I wonder if they just let Magane bail or she legitimately ran away. Then again, I assume she won't have her powers anyway like Meteora.

Meteora is pretty awesome. I like how she named her work RE:Creators. And I can easily imagine a 2nd Season or a Movie in the pipeline. Like. Who brought Altair into the Human World? and such.

Excited to see main girl Chinatsu in the next part of Welcome to the Ballroom

I started watching that too and then I got lazy. :lol:

I wonder if they just let Magane bail or she legitimately ran away. Then again, I assume she won't have her powers anyway like Meteora.

Meteora is pretty awesome. I like how she named her work RE:Creators. And I can easily imagine a 2nd Season or a Movie in the pipeline. Like. Who brought Altair into the Human World? and such.
I feel like they don't have enough content to do a follow on, but who knows? I liked how it ended. I'm also loving Ballroom and was happy to see it's 24 episodes or whatever. Totally worthy of more.

I mean. It's an Anime Original, so they can probably make it up like they did already. lol.

Seeing the characters they introduced in the Ballroom PV has me excited, Tatara's next partner is something to be excited for since she is completely different from the other two girls. I'm under the impression they're going to catch up to the recent chapters and conclude there with possible anime original ending. Honestly there would be more material but the mangaka took a year hiatus for health reasons and she still gets sick from time to time. 

I stopped after episode 2 or 3, then picked it back up also because of boredom. It defiantly got better. The current arc is actually pretty interesting with them being on the island.

I'm about to complete some anime from the summer season tonight. None of these were amazing but intresting enough to keep me hanging on. I need some mindless anime tonight. It's been a rough couple days.

Restaurant to Another World

A Centaur's Life

In Another World With my Smartphone

Classroom of the Elite

Knights and Magic turned a lot better than I originally expected.
It was interesting, but nothing earth shattering. Solid 5/10. I'd say Ballroom is the one that's turning out a lot better than I expected. I think that's the gem of the season if you can excuse the giraffe necks.

Edit: Actually on 2nd thought, I shouldn't leave out Made in Abyss. That show is quite good too.

bread's done
Back