Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='lokizz']cant believe theyre finally going to end the bleach manga series. wonder how long till naruto ends?[/QUOTE]

It has been said this is going to be longer then the Arrancar arc...... that arc was a year and a half . So what Bleach is ending in 3 years oh noes! I don't see Naruto ending just yet he is just an overpowered kid there could be another ten years of him as an adult easy.

Haibane Renmei was alright but I felt it was too vague and I would have like more disclosure of the secrets of the universe to really enjoy it. You can be mysterious but at some point you need to throw back the curtain and explain yourself as an author and it bugs me when that isn't done. It's an extremely mellow and melancholy sort of show if that's your thing.

Any recommendations for me?

All time favorites:

El Hazard (the original 1996'ish series)
Golden Boy (I'm not even joking)
Escaflowne
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Hajime no Ippo

Manga I like:
20th Century Boys
One Piece (can't believe I've been reading this for TEN years!)

I've tried watching a few shows over the last few years but I rarely get beyond the first episode or two. Nothing really hooks me. I did watch 10 eps of Bakuman though. I suppose I could get back into that. I watched about 5 eps of Deadman Wonderland - which I liked - but it was so deadly serious.

I like my anime and manga to be fun but not entirely brainless yet, I hate pseudo-spiritual psychobabble depressing stuff. You know the stuff I'm talking about.

I know this is a tall order and my tastes are kinda confusing - so thanks in advance!

So, we're getting very close to the release of the limited edition version of Puella Magi Madoka Magica vol 1. Although I really, really want to pick them up, I just don't think I can bring myself to spend $225 on a 12 episode series :whistle2:(

[quote name='lokizz']cant believe theyre finally going to end the bleach manga series. wonder how long till naruto ends?[/QUOTE]
About time! lol. Seems like the last arc could have been completely filler and I don't think people would notice at all if it wasn't for having actual seen the manga of the arc.Seemed like a better ending would've been the arrancar arc,but can't complain too much since I still enjoyed seeing it out towards the end.

[quote name='Broseph']Any recommendations for me?

All time favorites:

El Hazard (the original 1996'ish series)
Golden Boy (I'm not even joking)
Escaflowne
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Hajime no Ippo

Manga I like:
20th Century Boys
One Piece (can't believe I've been reading this for TEN years!)

I've tried watching a few shows over the last few years but I rarely get beyond the first episode or two. Nothing really hooks me. I did watch 10 eps of Bakuman though. I suppose I could get back into that. I watched about 5 eps of Deadman Wonderland - which I liked - but it was so deadly serious.

I like my anime and manga to be fun but not entirely brainless yet, I hate pseudo-spiritual psychobabble depressing stuff. You know the stuff I'm talking about.

I know this is a tall order and my tastes are kinda confusing - so thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

For manga's check out these

Eden:It's an Endless World
Gunsmith Cats
Aqua
Aria
Iron Wok Jan
Love Hina
xxxholic
Hellsing
Berserk
Cross Game
Cromartie High School
Gantz
Rosario+Vampire

[quote name='roger watersmelon']So, we're getting very close to the release of the limited edition version of Puella Magi Madoka Magica vol 1. Although I really, really want to pick them up, I just don't think I can bring myself to spend $225 on a 12 episode series :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

You could buy one of the cheaper versions, if you don't mind not having the soundtrack and other stuff.

That's still $150 for the complete series (12 episodes), that wouldn't even have flown back in the shitty pioneer days, much less now. They could say some bullshit like "oh that's the blu ray version" okay well the dvd version is $120 for the full series. I said this before when they announced the complete series of ROD on blu ray for $200, and I'll say it again, Aniplex is either going to need to wise up, or they're going to go down quickly. And to make things worse that $225 price for the collector's editions is the sale price. If, for some strange reason, you paid full price, you'd be paying $285 for the full series. I, too, wish to see this series, but I absolutely REFUSE to pay those outrageous prices for it, and I doubt I'll be able to get it from netflix, so that isn't going to happen either. And, yes, I realize that on sale the blu ray version is $120 and the dvd version is $90 (which might have flown back in the old days for a 3 disc series at full price), but I think I've made my point, and yeah I realized I made it very lengthily

I think some of the pricing on some boxsets is pretty crazy.Generally I don't spend over 30 dollars on anything less anything less then 26 episodes.I know sometimes I see stuff on sale like 45 dollars for 12 episodes and they'll split it up into like Season 1 Part 1.Just seems a little silly pricing wise.I think the most expensive anime I've paid for would be the first two season boxsets of Rurouni Kenshin about 4 years ago for about 45 bucks each.Whats the most expense you've all paid for an anime boxset?

[quote name='Magiblaze']I think some of the pricing on some boxsets is pretty crazy.Generally I don't spend over 30 dollars on anything less anything less then 26 episodes.I know sometimes I see stuff on sale like 45 dollars for 12 episodes and they'll split it up into like Season 1 Part 1.Just seems a little silly pricing wise.I think the most expensive anime I've paid for would be the first two season boxsets of Rurouni Kenshin about 4 years ago for about 45 bucks each.Whats the most expense you've all paid for an anime boxset?[/QUOTE]

Baccano on bluray back when it was around $60 now your lucky to get it under $150.

While Madoka (and Aniplex releases in general) is a little high for today's standards, it's not that crazy for new shows to be around $40 or $50. The only shows that really get below $30 are ones that have been released a couple times.

You should expect to spend a little more for a brand new show... it's like complaining that some older movies are less than $5 while the new releases are usually $20+.

Yeah, I thought about going the cheaper route on Madoka as well. The thing is, I'd definitely want the blu ray version. And if I'm already spending $120, I'm concerned that I'll look at it on the shelf one day and wonder why I didn't spend the extra $100 for everything. It doesn't help that I've missed other Aniplex sets because I was waiting for a price drop that never came.

As for the question about the most I've spent on one set, that's kind of a tricky question. Over the years I've picked up a lot of expensive sets for cheap, and a lot of cheap sets that later became expensive. Remember when Gamestop sold movies? I also bought a lot of great anime at b2g1 used. If we count individual volume releases, then I guess Rahxephon would end up being the most I paid for a series at around $130 (bought a few used, then bought the rest as they released). Otherwise, the most I've spent on a 13 episode box set would be just under the $40 mark (various Sentai releases on Blu Ray).

Most I have spent on a set... I think Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions was the most expensive i've ever bought at 150 or so but that sounds wrong I feel like something was higher that I am forgetting about. Can't say I miss the old days at all

The most I spent on one set was the original pioneer (maybe?) box set of Trigun, which I paid $150 for. The worst part is that while moving from one home to another I used some blue painter's tape to stop the dvds from sliding out instead of a rubber band, so when I went to remove the tape it peeled off some of the artwork. I just kept it in the moving box for too long before attempting to remove the tape.

I almost went ballistic after that, and I just keep the set in storage as to not see the damage. :(

I got an email from Verizon Fios TV saying that starting March 15 Funimation will be discontinued due to very low viewership.

This sucks, lately I have gotten into watching a lot of shows that have aired on the channel.

Finished watching The World God Only Knows S1 Sentai dub and it was outstanding! Very faithful adaptation of the manga, though there were some minor deviations like referring to Keima as the "conquering god" rather than "capturing god". Art, animation, and soundtrack are top notch. The English dub is great with Luci Christian as Elsie standing out the best. Kinda weird to have Hilary Haag play two of the captured girls... she does a much better job as the librarian Shiori which stands out as the best capture of the season. Seeing Keima's "capture mode" animated in the final episode is so awesome and a good demonstration of how anime can provide some experiences not possible in manga. Haqua appears at the very end to tease S2 ^_^

[quote name='lilman']Finished watching The World God Only Knows S1 Sentai dub and it was outstanding! Very faithful adaptation of the manga, though there were some minor deviations like referring to Keima as the "conquering god" rather than "capturing god". Art, animation, and soundtrack are top notch. The English dub is great with Luci Christian as Elsie standing out the best. Kinda weird to have Hilary Haag play two of the captured girls... she does a much better job as the librarian Shiori which stands out as the best capture of the season. Seeing Keima's "capture mode" animated in the final episode is so awesome and a good demonstration of how anime can provide some experiences not possible in manga. Haqua appears at the very end to tease S2 ^_^[/QUOTE]

I never read the scanlations, but "capturing" sounds really out of place to me. Keima doesn't "capture" anyone; conquer makes so much more sense to me, since he's basically "conquering" each girl's route.

[quote name='Gden']That's still $150 for the complete series (12 episodes), that wouldn't even have flown back in the shitty pioneer days, much less now. They could say some bullshit like "oh that's the blu ray version" okay well the dvd version is $120 for the full series. I said this before when they announced the complete series of ROD on blu ray for $200, and I'll say it again, Aniplex is either going to need to wise up, or they're going to go down quickly. And to make things worse that $225 price for the collector's editions is the sale price. If, for some strange reason, you paid full price, you'd be paying $285 for the full series. I, too, wish to see this series, but I absolutely REFUSE to pay those outrageous prices for it, and I doubt I'll be able to get it from netflix, so that isn't going to happen either. And, yes, I realize that on sale the blu ray version is $120 and the dvd version is $90 (which might have flown back in the old days for a 3 disc series at full price), but I think I've made my point, and yeah I realized I made it very lengthily[/QUOTE]

I don't think Aniplex and their more-expensive-than-average pricing is going anywhere anytime soon.

[quote name='Shimrra']I got an email from Verizon Fios TV saying that starting March 15 Funimation will be discontinued due to very low viewership.

This sucks, lately I have gotten into watching a lot of shows that have aired on the channel.[/QUOTE]

Does that mean no more Sgt Frog.

The show is such a great cartoon - I feel like if they could market it right people would love it.

[quote name='Razzuel']I never read the scanlations, but "capturing" sounds really out of place to me. Keima doesn't "capture" anyone; conquer makes so much more sense to me, since he's basically "conquering" each girl's route.[/QUOTE]
It's been a while since I read it, but I think "capture" is used like capturing a girl's heart. I don't remember "conquer" ever being used in the manga. I'm guessing the anime uses separate terms to better distinguish Keima winning over a girl (conquest) vs Elsie trapping the loose soul (capture). There are a few other little things not included in the anime, like Keima's classmates in the manga are pretty mean towards him and call him "otamegane" (glasses otaku). This is still a very faithful adaptation and I recommend checking out the manga if you enjoyed the show.

[quote name='lilman']It's been a while since I read it, but I think "capture" is used like capturing a girl's heart. I don't remember "conquer" ever being used in the manga. I'm guessing the anime uses separate terms to better distinguish Keima winning over a girl (conquest) vs Elsie trapping the loose soul (capture). There are a few other little things not included in the anime, like Keima's classmates in the manga are pretty mean towards him and call him "otamegane" (glasses otaku). This is still a very faithful adaptation and I recommend checking out the manga if you enjoyed the show.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that's what you meant. That makes sense now. I didn't really think of it as capturing a girl's heart or capturing the loose souls; I read it like capturing the girl herself, haha.

I enjoyed the show, but I didn't really care for Kanon or Shiori's routes. They just weren't interesting characters to me. Also, the show gets pretty repetitious and Keima never develops as a character. The second season didn't rectify any of this, but the last two routes (Chihiro and Jun's) were good, since they were more like Ayumi and Mio's routes — they were down-to-earth and there wasn't any supernatural crap.

I hear the manga gets really crazy later on, so hopefully they do some more anime adaptions.

[quote name='Shimrra']I got an email from Verizon Fios TV saying that starting March 15 Funimation will be discontinued due to very low viewership.

This sucks, lately I have gotten into watching a lot of shows that have aired on the channel.[/QUOTE]
A bit of a bummer to hear.I had it for a free trial for a while like a month or two ago.It was nice to see some other animes that I wouldn't have seen out there.The only problem I have with an anime sort of channel would be the wait between episodes repeating the same episode for like 5 days straight.I didn't look for it, but they offered OnDemand too didn't they?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']anybody interested in most/all of gto anime/manga including the prequel mangas still shrink'd?[/QUOTE]

Uh, hell yeah I am! Me, me, me! Pick me! Pretty, oh so very pretty, please!

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']anybody interested in most/all of gto anime/manga including the prequel mangas still shrink'd?[/QUOTE]

Those would be nice, yes. I love GTO. I don't really like the "school" stories genre, but GTO is a good read/watch.

I might be interested in the manga, if Razzuel doesn't go for it. Just started window shopping for volumes on Amazon once I found out that Shonan Jun'ai Gumi would finish in English after all.

ok well i'll compile the list of everything i have and we'll see how much people want the anime or the manga especially when the shipping costs for the manga get added in.

i also have some old rumiko takahashi stuff, a lil ogre slayer, and some stuff like the escaflowne movie collector's box dvd, and a few other things. should i go through the effort of cataloging that stuff too?

Whilst I'm working on the the rest here's my GTO stuff. You can PM me offers if you'd like:

GTO Manga 1-25 Complete
Shonan Junai Gumi 1 and 2 wrapped
GTO DVD 1-3, 6-10, so I'm only missing 4 and 5 i might have somewhere..

[quote name='camoor']Does that mean no more Sgt Frog.

The show is such a great cartoon - I feel like if they could market it right people would love it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how true it is, but I remember reading that when ADV had the license, they were and they had a deal with Cartoon Network to air it, but I think that was when Toonami was still roaming the airwaves and before ADV went kaput.

I watched Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai over the past few days. I thought it was decently enjoyable.

I've been watching Daily Lives of High School Boys which is amazing. I know NISA has licensed it, and I'm probably going to pick it up whenever they release it.

Anyone know if there have been any good (non-harem) high school romances recently?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I watched Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai over the past few days. I thought it was decently enjoyable.

I've been watching Daily Lives of High School Boys which is amazing. I know NISA has licensed it, and I'm probably going to pick it up whenever they release it.

Anyone know if there have been any good (non-harem) high school romances recently?[/QUOTE]

Yup, I feel the same way about Haganai and Nichibros. I finished watching Haganai, but I put Nichibros on hold because I'm just gonna wait for NISA's release.

As for non-harem, high school romances, I would recommend Ano Natsu and Chihayafuru, both of which are on Crunchyroll. Chihayafuru's main focus isn't the romance, but the romance that is in there is amazing.

Speaking of Chihayafuru, it's the best show airing right now, and it's just so damn good. It's probably gonna end up as one of my favorite shows. Everyone should check it out.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Haibane Renmei was alright but I felt it was too vague and I would have like more disclosure of the secrets of the universe to really enjoy it. You can be mysterious but at some point you need to throw back the curtain and explain yourself as an author and it bugs me when that isn't done. It's an extremely mellow and melancholy sort of show if that's your thing.[/QUOTE]

I've watched half of it so far and its just like you describe it so far. I kinda hoping it picks up alittle before its over. I also watched Bakemonogatari and loved it, I caught up with the second series and am excited for the movie.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']I've watched half of it so far and its just like you describe it so far. I kinda hoping it picks up alittle before its over. I also watched Bakemonogatari and loved it, I caught up with the second series and am excited for the movie.[/QUOTE]

You aren't really into Haibane Renmei, but you love Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari? Man, our tastes must be the exact opposite, haha; I loved Haibane Renmei and hated Bakemonogatari. I've been watching Nisemonogatari too and it's no better; I hate it as well, haha.

That's just how Haibane Renmei and Niea under 7 are (they're both from the same guy), you aren't supposed to really understand anything. You're just supposed to sit back and enjoy the ride.

[quote name='Razzuel']You aren't really into Haibane Renmei, but you love Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari? Man, our tastes must be the exact opposite, haha; I loved Haibane Renmei and hated Bakemonogatari. I've been watching Nisemonogatari too and it's no better; I hate it as well, haha.[/QUOTE]

I don't know If I like it or not yet, only half way through.

[quote name='jello44']I don't know how true it is, but I remember reading that when ADV had the license, they were and they had a deal with Cartoon Network to air it, but I think that was when Toonami was still roaming the airwaves and before ADV went kaput.[/QUOTE]

It's true, and I believe the TV deals were still being worked out when Funi grabbed it. I distinctly remember watching a 'test dub' clip where they renamed characters... Natsumi was Natalie. I suspect mixed reactions to that could be part of why the TV plans got nixed.

[quote name='Gden']That's just how Haibane Renmei and Niea under 7 are (they're both from the same guy), you aren't supposed to really understand anything. You're just supposed to sit back and enjoy the ride.[/QUOTE]

oh god...niea...one of the worst shows i've ever seen.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']So anyone got any new recomendations? I have alot on my "to watch list" and I am having a hard time figuring out where to start. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Rogueleader17[/QUOTE]

Move Ao no Exorcist (aka Blue Exorcist) to your watching list!

Awesome supernatural shonen with emotional punch and comedy bits. Some eps are better than others, but overall it was a great run. Fave is ep 10 "Black Cat". Oh my. Shiro rocks.

Hope they do more seasons. I read somewhere that the manga was going towards a less action arc, so the anime focused more on the fighting instead. I wouldn't have minded delving more into the slower stuff since those ended up trumping the straight up action IMO. Love all the supporting characters too.

Some blu ray preorders made their way into my Amazon gold box recently. I ordered them, figuring I had an entire month to cancel them if I change my mind, but I was also curious if anyone here has seen them or has any opinions on them as well.

1)The Legend of the Legendary Heroes - Besides having one of the worst names I've heard in awhile, both p1 and p2 showed up. BR/DVD $67.43 for the pair
2) Okami-san and Her Seven Companions - BR/DVD $33.24
3) FMA Brotherhood Movie - $22.79

so whilst i'm packing up razz's order for shipping i have some other things to move:

Manga:
Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre, 1-11
Legendary Couple, 1-5
Weapons of the Gods, 1-9
Threads of Time, 1-5
Ogre Slayer, 1-2
King of Hell, 1-13 Forgot this one

Short Story Collections:
Mermaid's Gaze (Rumiko Takahashi)
One or Double (Rumiko Takahashi)
Rumic World Trilogy II (Rumiko Takahashi)

Anime:
Escaflowne Movie Ultimate Edition
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Also:
Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory, OST

I have a question regarding the Rurouni Kenshin boxset. Hopefully someone here can help. So I finally decided to buy the rest of Rurouni Kenshin (got the 3rd season as a gift & never got around to getting 1 & 2) So I got 1 via amazon and 2 via amazon marketplace.

The marketplace one pulled a gamestop on me. =/ Said it was new and today I received it, it's not shrinkwrapped. Looks pretty good so maybe I won't return. Then I open it to find this:

DSC02097.jpg

Disks are in perfect condition but the disk holder thing is broken. My question is for those that own season 2. Is your box similar to this one, the disks stacked like this?

IDK if Media Blasters might have switched to cheaper packaging, but the new Rurouni Kenshin season 2 set I got over 5 years ago came in an 8 dvd case that didn't have those crappy overlapping discs, sort of like this:
8_way_dvd_case.jpg

bread's done
Back