Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Thanks Indecisive Rattle and Gden. I'm guessing this is either new cheaper packaging or the seller just packed a collection of the 8 discs into a different box.

Btw is there a possibility of this being a bootleg? Sis got me paranoid when she looked at the discs and said they looked cheap. Also some of the discs at the center have very tiny holes. I don't think that's normal right?

This is so bothersome. >.< I shouldn't have been a cheapass and should have just ordered the sold by Amazon one. =(

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']Thanks Indecisive Rattle and Gden. I'm guessing this is either new cheaper packaging or the seller just packed a collection of the 8 discs into a different box.

Btw is there a possibility of this being a bootleg? Sis got me paranoid when she looked at the discs and said they looked cheap. Also some of the discs at the center have very tiny holes. I don't think that's normal right?

This is so bothersome. >.< I shouldn't have been a cheapass and should have just ordered the sold by Amazon one. =([/QUOTE]

I don't have the set, but if you want to know if they're bootlegs, you can compare the disc IDs on the data side of the discs with those of someone who has a set that they know is legitimate.

For example, Bleach Season 3 Disc 1 has a disc ID of 7V 2000008816V2.1A VA01. There's no standard disc ID format, but it should be a combination of letters and/or numbers.

Hope that helps.

Razzuel & coolsteel-- thanks! I checked and they do have the IDs. I just need to compare it. But I guess it should be fine since Coolsteel says the bootlegs are different. I think my sis was just being paranoid.

I guess this was just a crappy box release. =/

I really appreciate the help from everyone who replied!!!

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']The marketplace one pulled a gamestop on me. =/ Said it was new and today I received it, it's not shrinkwrapped. Looks pretty good so maybe I won't return. [/QUOTE]

Just so I know to be cautious for future purchases there, what was the seller's name? I know there's a couple on there(Direct Liquidations & Steelhead Enterprises) that sell dvds as new when it's used and also does case swaps too. Thanks to them, I have a couple Geneon & ADV sets that look weird(white cases with a few black/clear cases in between).

[quote name='tangytangerine']Just so I know to be cautious for future purchases there, what was the seller's name? I know there's a couple on there(Direct Liquidations & Steelhead Enterprises) that sell dvds as new when it's used and also does case swaps too. Thanks to them, I have a couple Geneon & ADV sets that look weird(white cases with a few black/clear cases in between).[/QUOTE]

Name is BloomingLily.

aight if nobody is interested in that stuff i'll have to try and ebay it or something. :\
raz, i'm going to try to finish packing and shipping your stuff today. can you make sure to PM me your address?

It looks like the person you bought it from sold you the individual releases as a complete collection. I'm trying to do that currently on half.com with my sailor moon S and Super S dvds. I have them listed under the collections, but they're the individual dvds.

[quote name='Gden']It looks like the person you bought it from sold you the individual releases as a complete collection. I'm trying to do that currently on half.com with my sailor moon S and Super S dvds. I have them listed under the collections, but they're the individual dvds.[/QUOTE]
Did you actually change the packaging? How much is SuperS (it's the only US DVD release I don't have)?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Did you actually change the packaging? How much is SuperS (it's the only US DVD release I don't have)?[/QUOTE]

No, it's the individual dvds, untouched. Other than being watched, obviously. I would link it on here, but I choose to not self-advertise (was going to say self abdicate for some reason). I've sent you both tells, obvious, we can negotiate

Last edited by a moderator:
Started to watch Yamada's First Time.On paper the show sounds incredibility stupid,but the humor is done extremely well,and Yamada is a great main character.

Oh yeah, I saw The Secret World of Arrietty when it came out in February. Overall I enjoyed it, but it's definitely a flawed film. The artistry, animation, and music are amazing, but the English dub and the story weren't that great.

First, this is worst localization of a Ghibli production that Disney has done. They changed the name from The Borrower Arrietty to The Secret World of Arrietty, which doesn't make much sense; they changed all the names of the characters; and some of the performances, especially Hara/Haru, weren't well acted — Bridgit Mendler as Arrietty was really good though. Also, the Bridgit Mendler song at the end was way out of place.

I hear the UK English dub has its own problems, so that's probably not any better, haha. Anyway, it's worth watching, if anyone's the least bit interested in it.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']IDK if Media Blasters might have switched to cheaper packaging, but the new Rurouni Kenshin season 2 set I got over 5 years ago came in an 8 dvd case that didn't have those crappy overlapping discs, sort of like this:
8_way_dvd_case.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I have it as well and have to also comment got the case I got it in was in the same type as you're describing.Maybe they threw the actual disc into another case with him.

Watched the Trigun movie after finally getting around to it.Sadly was a bit disappointed in it.The start/mid felt really weak and didn't feel like the movie was getting any good until the end.Just overall reminded me I liked the anime much more so while watching it.From the credits seems like they left it open for a sequel which I'd assume they would do if the first made for good business.

[quote name='Razzuel']Oh yeah, I saw The Secret World of Arrietty when it came out in February. Overall I enjoyed it, but it's definitely a flawed film. The artistry, animation, and music are amazing, but the English dub and the story weren't that great.

First, this is worst localization of a Ghibli production that Disney has done. They changed the name from The Borrower Arrietty to The Secret World of Arrietty, which doesn't make much sense; they changed all the names of the characters; and some of the performances, especially Hara/Haru, weren't well acted — Bridgit Mendler as Arrietty was really good though. Also, the Bridgit Mendler song at the end was way out of place.

I hear the UK English dub has its own problems, so that's probably not any better, haha. Anyway, it's worth watching, if anyone's the least bit interested in it.[/QUOTE]

You liked her part? I felt both her, and whatsisface's sho/shaun were very phoned in. They felt very "I'm only doing this because disney is making me, because my stupid parents signed x year contracts to get me on tv". Though, I actually thought that Carol Burnette made that dub almost worthwhile with her performance.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I'm 8 episodes into Kurokami and I'm not sure if I'll watch it all the way through, namely because the main character is so lame.[/QUOTE]

I watched that whole series and It was ok but nothing I plan on watching again.

There is a new Kenishi OVA out with some possiblities for a new season in it for any fans out there. My brother watched Code Geass for the first time, is there anything that comes close to that style of show besides deathnote? I've been racking my brain to come up with something but for the life of me I can't think of anthing else quite like those two shows.

Madman licensed Cardcaptor Sakura. They're gonna release it in two sub-only collections, starting in July. Hopefully a US company licenses it too. If not, I guess I'll be importing it, PAL be damned.

Also the last episode of bleach is next week for anyone who hasn't already heard, personally I don't see how its possible but I am glad I will live to see the ending to one of the 3 big shonen series.

Finished a few anime series:

Fate/stay night was much better than I expected. I was thinking it would be a simple, enjoyable romp with a focus on fighting, similar to Kaze no Stigma, but the characters made the series stand out above the standard fare (

[quote name='lilman']Fate/stay night was much better than I expected. I was thinking it would be a simple, enjoyable romp with a focus on fighting, similar to Kaze no Stigma, but the characters made the series stand out above the standard fare (

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Also the last episode of bleach is next week for anyone who hasn't already heard, personally I don't see how its possible but I am glad I will live to see the ending to one of the 3 big shonen series.[/QUOTE]

Those three getting endings are more possible than Berserk ever getting an ending.

[quote name='themaster20000']Those three getting endings are more possible than Berserk ever getting an ending.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree at this point I don't see Berserk ever ending at the pace it's going.

[quote name='Razzuel']Madman licensed Cardcaptor Sakura. They're gonna release it in two sub-only collections, starting in July. Hopefully a US company licenses it too. If not, I guess I'll be importing it, PAL be damned.[/QUOTE]

Which reminds me I need to sell my set

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Also the last episode of bleach is next week for anyone who hasn't already heard, personally I don't see how its possible but I am glad I will live to see the ending to one of the 3 big shonen series.[/QUOTE]

Naruto got two damn years of filler and the second Bleach announces hey this is the last arc the anime gets the axe.

[quote name='Razzuel']I don't know how far you've read in the manga, but the anime doesn't really get good until episode 13, during the beginning of the Galuna Island arc.[/QUOTE]
I finished v30 of the manga which ends right before the current publishing arc. The manga does a good job of pulling you into each of the characters, and the arcs throw some interesting curve balls (especially the one that ends in v30, where
the Grimoire Heart arc ends with the main force of FT being hidden from the world for 7 years
), wow was that cool).

[quote name='themaster20000']Those three getting endings are more possible than Berserk ever getting an ending.[/QUOTE]

Well there was some trailers for a Berserk movie out that looked pretty good, although it doesn't neccesarily mean that they will finally end it.

That movie is part of a trilogy there doing based on the Golden Age Arc.After that there going to make more movies based on the other Arcs.But yeah the manga has been going on for 20+years with no end in sight.

I stopped watching it after the Bounto arc and only read the manga now.So what are they ending the series on a filler?Also why is it the last episode?Ratings low in Japan or just figuring to start it off again later when the manga gets further or something like that?

[quote name='Magiblaze']I stopped watching it after the Bounto arc and only read the manga now.So what are they ending the series on a filler?Also why is it the last episode?Ratings low in Japan or just figuring to start it off again later when the manga gets further or something like that?[/QUOTE]

Well its the last episode for the Bleach Anime series but who know what the future will hold, perhaps some bleach movies to fudge in the rest or a Bleach Shippuden or Bleach final cut. only time will tell.

[quote name='Magiblaze']I stopped watching it after the Bounto arc and only read the manga now.So what are they ending the series on a filler?Also why is it the last episode?Ratings low in Japan or just figuring to start it off again later when the manga gets further or something like that?[/QUOTE]

I'm betting on a new series down the line, with this arc said to be longer then the Aizen arc it could easily end up being 3-5 years before it is done. Still who knows I still remember Kenshin getting screwed out of a final season , heck now that I think about it Ranma 1/2 didn't even get the final part animated.

[quote name='Razzuel']The connection between
Rin and Sakura
is explained in the visual novel, which is actually three separate stories (Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel). The anime is mainly the first story, Fate. Also, Fate/Zero explains the connection as well, but Fate/Zero also spoils everything in the third story, Heaven's Feel, not just the connection.[/QUOTE]
Meant to check back in. I finished f/sn a few months ago and it was good, but it really wasn't worth taking up 3 weeks to finish it. So goddamn long... I'll have to check out fate/zero before they take it offline (if they haven't already?)

[quote name='pete5883']Meant to check back in. I finished f/sn a few months ago and it was good, but it really wasn't worth taking up 3 weeks to finish it. So goddamn long... I'll have to check out fate/zero before they take it offline (if they haven't already?)[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, it is soooooo long, haha. What was your favorite storyline?

As for Fate/Zero, the first season is still up on Crunchyroll, and the second season should be starting this Saturday.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']Thanks Indecisive Rattle and Gden. I'm guessing this is either new cheaper packaging or the seller just packed a collection of the 8 discs into a different box.

This is so bothersome. >.< I shouldn't have been a cheapass and should have just ordered the sold by Amazon one. =([/QUOTE]

Put up some more pictures, including the case and more of the discs. As I recall, despite being rereleased a few times, the actual discs for Kenshin have never changed- so anyone who owns it should be able to see any problems. Plus we can see if there's anything odd in the case itself.

Watched all of Puella Magi Madoka Magica...wow this was a pretty strange but ultimately good series. It really tries to something more deep and interesting with the magical girl genre (which I hate), and it won me over with a daring departure from the norm.

I can fully recommend to people that like story-based anime. It doesn't have much in the way of fighting, moe, or humor so beware if that's your thing.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Just finished watching the new lupin the third, and I have to say it's pretty awsome.[/QUOTE]
I'm also very excited about the first Lupin III series getting an official US release, and already have it preordered from Right Stuf. Hopefully Funimation will release the new series on DVD/BD as well.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']I'm also very excited about the first Lupin III series getting an official US release, and already have it preordered from Right Stuf. Hopefully Funimation will release the new series on DVD/BD as well.[/QUOTE]

Are they releasing the whole series or just the first season? I enjoyed the english dub for the season 2 that pioneer did years ago and was hoping it might get released again someday.

I gave in and did a blind buy on the bluray collection for clannad because it was on sale for $40 (the cheapest I've seen it), did I do good?

Besides lupin I am enjoying mysterious girlfriend X and the naruto spinoff. Anyone seen anything else good this season?

Are there any message boards dedicated to selling anime? I've been trying to sell my collection as a whole since October and am having no luck so I think I just have to split it all up. Only thing I don't want to deal with is having to create 180 listings on ebay/amazon, so I was hoping there might be forums where people just give a list.

[quote name='Bezerker']Are there any message boards dedicated to selling anime? I've been trying to sell my collection as a whole since October and am having no luck so I think I just have to split it all up. Only thing I don't want to deal with is having to create 180 listings on ebay/amazon, so I was hoping there might be forums where people just give a list.[/QUOTE]

Can't think of any, whatcha got? I am looking for a couple of series.

[quote name='Bezerker']Are there any message boards dedicated to selling anime? I've been trying to sell my collection as a whole since October and am having no luck so I think I just have to split it all up. Only thing I don't want to deal with is having to create 180 listings on ebay/amazon, so I was hoping there might be forums where people just give a list.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest starting up a list in the trade forum, then linking it here. I'd be up for perusing it as well.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Are they releasing the whole series or just the first season? I enjoyed the english dub for the season 2 that pioneer did years ago and was hoping it might get released again someday.

I gave in and did a blind buy on the bluray collection for clannad because it was on sale for $40 (the cheapest I've seen it), did I do good?

Besides lupin I am enjoying mysterious girlfriend X and the naruto spinoff. Anyone seen anything else good this season?[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I wasn't very clear earlier. No, as far as I know right now, the only currently planned release is the first series (Green Jacket). I'd love to see an official release of the second (Red Jacket) and third (Pink Jacket) series, but I don't see that happening. The number of episodes for each would make the cost prohibitive, and those two series can't try to pull in people with the Miyazaki name like the first one can.

I was also a fan of the pioneer dub, and picked up every volume. I'm actually a bit uneasy about a second series release because it wouldn't have the same (if any) dub track. This was one of the few shows where I really liked the english voice acting.

Finished the first season (E1-48) of Fairy Tail Funimation dub. Compared to the manga, I thought the beginning of the anime was somewhat weak. By the start of Phantom Lord arc, the anime got much better and continued great through the end of the season.

First season of Rosario+Vampire manga was good. The first half is very similar to the anime (minus gratuitous panty shots). The story then picks up steam as
Tsukune is affected by Moka's vampire blood. It's less lighthearted and more bloody than the beginning of the series, but it really helps Tsukune's character develop.
Will probably check out the second season of the manga.

First season of Heaven's Lost Property was alright. Very pervy with a few good laughs. Not worth a buy but ok for a rent/stream. If you are interested in this type of lighthearted story, Baka and Test is a better way to go.

Needless anime lived up to its name. Don't waste your time like I did... there was not one redeeming part of that anime.

After watching Naruto movie 4 Blood Prison I gotta admit parts of it caught me off guard, like the movie crew suddenly remembering Naruto is supposed to be a competent ninja . He acted more like a ninja then he has in the manga or show in ages here which was a pretty nice change of pace .

The new chapter of HSD Kenichi was pretty fucking epic. Without spoiling too much, Hongo is a BEAST. I'm glad Vagabond is being released regularly again but I have NO IDEA where the mangaka is going with it now.

Can anyone recommend a good NEW anime? I've been watching Fairy Tail at my own pace and the new Hunter x Hunter is the only remotely new anime I've been keeping up with.

Finished up Gankutsuou, and it's a solid show. The only reason I didn't enjoy it more was because the main character (Albert) was so damn annoying. Nearly killed the show for me.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Just finished watching the new lupin the third, and I have to say it's pretty awsome. [/QUOTE]

I have tried so hard to get into Lupin, I do not know why it bugs me.

bread's done
Back