Another Gamestop Ridiculousness

HotJuicyBurgers

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So I was in a Gamestop yesterday with a friend of mine that was looking for something, and I was curious so I asked the guy if he had any copied of Uncharted 3 used. Now, I know that this game has an online pass, but stay with me. The guy tells me yah, and that it's 55 bucks. I say to him, man, why would I buy that, the online pass is 10 dollars, and this is how the conversation went from there.

GS employee: "No it doesn't."
Me: "What do you mean, my friend right here has it, and I know for a fact that it has one."
GS employee: "Oh, then it will come with it."
Me: "A used copy will come with the code?"
GS employee: "Yah of course."
Me: "How is that even possible? It's going to be used by the last person that had it."
GS employee: "What do you mean? I don't think this game has an online pass."
Me: "I've seen it, it comes on the back of the manual."
GS employee: "Oh, then we'll just give you another one."
Me: "Another manual?"
GS employee: "Another code, it'll print out on the receipt."

At this point my friend and I just look at each other shake out heads, and literally, sigh. The guy then asks me if I want to buy it, to which I of course say no.

Now, I'm pretty well informed about games and the like, but I shudder to think how often something like this gets passed on to a normal customer on a daily basis.

Just had to rant. Anyone had a similar experience?

uhh gamestop does give you the code for online passes on the receipt. He wasn't making that up out of thin air.

I could be wrong but I know GameStop will give out new online pass codes for certain used games. They print out on the receipt like he said. Maybe this is one of those games?

The whole conversation looks just like you are there to pick a fight.

I always wonder, why it is always the GS haters that step foot into the store day after day looking for posting material whereas someone like me who really don't care about GS one way or another rarely, if ever, go there...

I thought the whole point of project 10$ was to take some money away from the used games industry, and to put it back in the pockets of developers?

[quote name='wasabi5858']The whole conversation looks just like you are there to pick a fight.

I always wonder, why it is always the GS haters that step foot into the store day after day looking for posting material whereas someone like me who really don't care about GS one way or another rarely, if ever, go there...[/QUOTE]

And sorry if I jumped the gun a bit, but it wouldn't exactly be the first time GameStop sold a used game for 55 when it had an online pass.
Not to mention the guy I was talking was extremely unconvincing, kept trying to tell me there wasn't an online code, and was completely unaware that the code was on the back of the manual

Now normally I'm one of the first to line up to jump on the fuck Gamestop bandwagon, but wasabi5858 has a point. To me, if you're buying a used copy of a game, you don't go in there expecting to be given any sort of extra DLC codes or online pass codes that may have come with the game when it was sold new originally. If you get one where the prior owner didn't use them, then I look at that as a bonus.

Apparently Gamestop does give the DLC(Catwoman code for Arkham City) codes or in this case the online pass code for Uncharted 3 to those who buy the game from them used. Obviously this is something that Gamestop worked out with the publishers and decided to do to help push the pre-owned copies of the games.

But not everybody is that well educated about what comes with each game when bought new, so likely most customers wouldn't have even known about the codes or cared and as I said above just considered it a bonus that Gamestop was giving them.

[quote name='wasabi5858']The whole conversation looks just like you are there to pick a fight.

I always wonder, why it is always the GS haters that step foot into the store day after day looking for posting material whereas someone like me who really don't care about GS one way or another rarely, if ever, go there...[/QUOTE]

I think this case goes both ways... yeah, OP was being a douche (don't lie OP, you know it) but the employee could have easily said, "we give out online passes/codes for some games, it'll be on your receipt".

Actually, they first did this with Mortal Kombat. I wonder why I never see any signs or anything for any of the games they do this for.

This is the absolute height of videogame publisher stupidity.

Have online pass to defray losses of used sales
Require legit new purchasers to enter obscure code and download unlock key for part of their game
Sell online passes to the biggest retailer of used games to give away with used copies of the game.
????????????????????????

what the fuck sense does this even make?

[quote name='Vinny']I think this case goes both ways... yeah, OP was being a douche (don't lie OP, you know it) but the employee could have easily said, "we give out online passes/codes for some games, it'll be on your receipt".

Actually, they first did this with Mortal Kombat. I wonder why I never see any signs or anything for any of the games they do this for.[/QUOTE]
Maybe they have to pay the full $10 or whatever the online passes/DLC content cost that they're giving with the used copies, so then if people don't ask about those items they don't include a code?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Maybe they have to pay the full $10 or whatever the online passes/DLC content cost that they're giving with the used copies, so then if people don't ask about those items they don't include a code?[/QUOTE]

No, the codes print automatically if an eligible used game is purchased. And I doubt they're paying the publishers $10... no way in hell.

I'm sure they've got a deal worked out where they only pay a fraction of it (probably $3-5). That way, the publishers are guaranteed some money for every used copy GS sells (as there are bound to be people who don't want the DLC or have any interest in playing online) and GS can still rip people off pretty well.

[quote name='jer7583']This is the absolute height of videogame publisher stupidity.

Have online pass to defray losses of used sales
Require legit new purchasers to enter obscure code and download unlock key for part of their game
Sell online passes to the biggest retailer of used games to give away with used copies of the game.
????????????????????????

what the fuck sense does this even make?[/QUOTE]

They're still selling something that should be fucking free in the first place.

[quote name='Survivalism']They're still selling something that should be fucking free in the first place.[/QUOTE]

wait, what should be free?

multiplayer? It's not free to run it, why should it be freely given out?

I wouldn't mind if the all games just ran a demo of the game from the disc until you entered a one time use code to unlock the full game, XBLA style. Put gamestop out of business, already. It actually would be pretty convenient if once you registered the code and if you install the game, you could just play without the disc.

PC has been doing it for years with one time use registration codes. What we need is a Steam style digital marketplace that offers significant discounts to appeal to those who now shop at gamestop to save that $10-$20 off new release games. Unfortunately PSN and XBL only charge MSRP or higher on most of their full retail digital games.

I am extremely against online passes, but in my head, this doesn't make any sense at all for people like sony, or the devs of arkham city.

Also, this is extremely wrong, and please don't say that I told you to do this or anything, but whats to stop you from buying the game used, inputting the code and then just returning the game?

[quote name='Vinny']I think this case goes both ways... yeah, OP was being a douche (don't lie OP, you know it) but the employee could have easily said, "we give out online passes/codes for some games, it'll be on your receipt".

Actually, they first did this with Mortal Kombat. I wonder why I never see any signs or anything for any of the games they do this for.[/QUOTE]

And yah, I can admit I was definitely being a douche, but in all fairness, maybe i'm not so good at making somone's attitude apparent in text, but this guy really seemed to be rubbing me the wrong way.

Maybe he was rubbing you the wrong way because you were picking a fight. A good rule of thumb is used games that are $5 under new msrp will come with a code for free on your reciept. It's always going to be cheaper preowned.

lol. I would've been a bit confused if I was told an online pass would print on a receipt for a used game, though I wouldn't knock it till it was done. I mean, they would certainly refund you right there if it didn't print, especially if you warned them prior.

But yea... I guess the point is gamestop promotion. You can still buy the game used from a friend or other stores and not get an online pass... so... yea, fuck retail, and fuck online passes.

[quote name='spug21']Maybe he was rubbing you the wrong way because you were picking a fight. A good rule of thumb is used games that are $5 under new msrp will come with a code for free on your reciept. It's always going to be cheaper preowned.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but you're wrong on this one. GameStop almost always has some game that's cheaper to buy new. I would also always ask about online passes printing, regardless.

Someone on another forum had a similar situation yesterday he bought batman used and was told there was no online pass needed only to find out when he got home he can't play half of the story without the code.

[quote name='GUNNM']Someone on another forum had a similar situation yesterday he bought batman used and was told there was no online pass needed only to find out when he got home he can't play half of the story without the code.[/QUOTE]

It's more of a supplement to the main story than "half of the story". The game is absolutely playable without the Catwoman stuff.

[quote name='confoosious']why are some of you assuming Gamestop doesn't pay the publisher for the passes?[/QUOTE]

I agree. Even if GS is paying $10 per code:

$ 55 (Used selling price)
- 10 (Online pass cost)
____
$ 45
- 20 (base TIV for Uncharted 3)
____
$ 25 (potential profit, dependent of trade bonus, PR, etc)

OR

$ 50 (Used selling price, minus PUR 10%)
- 10 (Online pass cost)
____
$ 40
- 28 ($20 base TIV + 30% trade bonus + 10% PUR bonus)
____
$ 12 (still profit, even with the discount/bonus numbers maxed)

Gamestop still comes out ahead in this scenario

[quote name='Scorch']It's more of a supplement to the main story than "half of the story". The game is absolutely playable without the Catwoman stuff.[/QUOTE]
Well yeah but still you're missing out on achievements and part of the story because the GS employee wasn't up front

I got the online pass for Mortal kombat when i bought it 6 months ago. I don't understand all the GS hate either except for the incessant pushing of pre orders and the occasional douche bag employee they beat the hell out of most other B & M stores. As far as trade in prices thats your choice if you trade to them or not. But anyway we all have a right to our opinions just voicing mine. Also would like to know the deal with these online passes from GS.

[quote name='GUNNM']Well yeah but still you're missing out on achievements and part of the story because the GS employee wasn't up front[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying the GS employee was in the right but not everyone wants/collects trophies. And I'm guessing they did give him/her a code on the receipt and he/she never saw it.

And besides, Catwoman kinda sucked and her parts sucked, they were a total of 25 minutes and added pretty much nothing to the story.:p

[quote name='AugustAPC']lol. I would've been a bit confused if I was told an online pass would print on a receipt for a used game, though I wouldn't knock it till it was done. I mean, they would certainly refund you right there if it didn't print, especially if you warned them prior.

But yea... I guess the point is gamestop promotion. You can still buy the game used from a friend or other stores and not get an online pass... so... yea, fuck retail, and fuck online passes.

No offense, but you're wrong on this one. GameStop almost always has some game that's cheaper to buy new. I would also always ask about online passes printing, regardless.[/QUOTE]
I guess sometimes there are special sales on new. God of war 3 for 14.99 comes to mind. Employees should have pulled preowned copies to back when that happened.

I'm sure GameStop pays for the codes. I don't see how they could give them away if they were not paying for them. It would be stupid of the publishers to give them the codes for the used game. Also if they were just giving them the codes then the codes are only made to stop other used game stores, trading and individual selling.

All Warner Brothers (MK, Fear 3, Batman, etc.) and Sony-published games (Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Ratchet and Clank: AFO, etc.) come with an online pass on your receipt when you buy a used copy. It's why those games are the normal $5 off MSRP used and stuff like Madden and Battlefield 3 are $48 used when MSRP is $60.

If they didn't print the pass then they would never be able to sell these used games, as people would figure it out quick enough and not buy the used game. Or if they bought it and didn't realize they agreed to buy it without the online pass then they would come back and return the game, and GS would have an angry customer on their hands that would not likely come back.

But it doesn't make too much sense in the argument of used games, since the passes are technically made to stop the sale of them. But I am guessing the purpose of the online pass is to get GS to pay a cut to the publishers for the right to print those passes.

So you are actually saving less on a copy of Madden by buying used if its $48 without online pass, since it costs $10 to purchase the pass. The normal price for a recent used game is 54.99, you are losing out on $3. Unless you don't plan on playing multiplayer, then you save more.

[quote name='SaraAB']If they didn't print the pass then they would never be able to sell these used games, as people would figure it out quick enough and not buy the used game. Or if they bought it and didn't realize they agreed to buy it without the online pass then they would come back and return the game, and GS would have an angry customer on their hands that would not likely come back.[/QUOTE]

They actually sell plenty of games without the online pass, and there will always be sheeple for GameStop to sell games to. Think about it this way, a mom goes into GameStop, looking for the brand new game to give her son as a present. Now, of the course the GameStop employee will push the used, I would say more than half of the time people like this will buy the used game. Now, let's say this is for a gift that will be given in a week. When the kid gets the gift, it's already too late to return it for a refund. Now, these people can go into the store, and the mom can bitch, and the kid can throw a tantrum, but they aren't getting a refund.
They also may swear to never shop there again, but I can bet these same people will come back into GameStop next time they need a gift, Bc as sad as it is, when someone thinks of where to buy a video game, they think GameStop.
And for your last point about GameStop not wanting angry customers, I can hardly doubt they care. Like every other store in the world, it is a business, and they sell a lot of volume. They definitely aren't affected by a couple of mad customers, as you can tell by the amount of people that resent them for some of there practices, (mainly selling games that have been opened and gutted as new), and they seem to be doing pretty well off.

I absolutely love any moron who says things like "fuck Gamestop! Lets put them out of business!"

So yeah I guess fuck their thousands of employees. And fuck the taxes that the company and employees both pay. Let's just shut Gamestop down and put thousands out of work because you get pissy when they don't have a sale you want, or charge higher than most other retailers. And apparently now because they're giving away DLC codes on some games.

[quote name='captaintek3304']I absolutely love any moron who says things like "fuck Gamestop! Lets put them out of business!"

So yeah I guess fuck their thousands of employees. And fuck the taxes that the company and employees both pay. Let's just shut Gamestop down and put thousands out of work because you get pissy when they don't have a sale you want, or charge higher than most other retailers. And apparently now because they're giving away DLC codes on some games.[/QUOTE]

I would love to know when I ever said fuck gamestop, or that I wanted to put them out of business. If you had actually read the whole thread you probably would have seen that not only did I admit fault for being ignorant in the fact that they did actually give out these codes, but also the other things we have talked about besides the conclusion you jumped to.

"But yah bro, fuck gamestop bro, it's so gay bro, they only wanted to give me 2 dollars for madden 01 bro"
-Super serious guy. Bro.

[quote name='captaintek3304']I absolutely love any moron who says things like "fuck Gamestop! Lets put them out of business!"

So yeah I guess fuck their thousands of employees. And fuck the taxes that the company and employees both pay. Let's just shut Gamestop down and put thousands out of work because you get pissy when they don't have a sale you want, or charge higher than most other retailers. And apparently now because they're giving away DLC codes on some games.[/QUOTE]
It's not so much that we want them to go out of business insomuch as just be taken to task for some of their policies, namely the open games sold as new thing. Try this experiment: Go into one of their stores, buy a cheap game you wanna keep anyway and buy it new/sealed, open it in front of them and then say you want to return the game.

See what they say. Once opened a game is 'not new anymore' and must be traded in and cannot be returned. Yet it's perfectly alright for the employees across the chain to do the exact same to make display cases. However, Toys R' Us has used cases with promotional coverart for display purposes for years to showcase which games they had in stock WITHOUT having to open up games to get cases to display.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's not so much that we want them to go out of business insomuch as just be taken to task for some of their policies, namely the open games sold as new thing. Try this experiment: Go into one of their stores, buy a cheap game you wanna keep anyway and buy it new/sealed, open it in front of them and then say you want to return the game.

See what they say. Once opened a game is 'not new anymore' and must be traded in and cannot be returned. Yet it's perfectly alright for the employees across the chain to do the exact same to make display cases. However, Toys R' Us has used cases with promotional coverart for display purposes for years to showcase which games they had in stock WITHOUT having to open up games to get cases to display.[/QUOTE]

If this was facebook I would like your comment.

Honestly, the worst part about that is that I have had gamestop employees get mad at me for refusing to buy the "new" game that was gutted. One of my favorite stories is this, I went to a gamestop with my sister. She asked me to go because she was buying a present for our mother, (wii fit+), and knew that I was definitely more savvy than her at all this games stuff. So we show up at the gamestop that the store locator said had one new, (remember this was a gift,) in stock. So we go in, look around for a bit but can't find it. During this time I had found a relatively rare ds rpg, honestly can't remember right now what game it is sorry, and actually was kind of excited about it. So i take this game up, and also ask the guy about the new wii fit+. The guy goes oh yah we have that new, and behind him pulls out a box, that is open, then pulls out a separate little pack with the disc, slaps it in, and I kid you not, looks at us, and says brand new, with a straight face. Now I'm trying very hard not get angry at this point, and I just ask if he has a sealed copy. He then tells me that no, that was the last one. I then proceed to ask him why it was opened if it was new, and he gives me the spiel about display copies. Of course, I almost freak out at this because he had it behind the counter. Hardly what you can call display. I figure I can resolve that in a second, so I ask for the ds game i'd picked out,goes behind him pulls out a game and hands it to me. Of course, the ds game was also new, so I ask for a sealed copy and once again I get the same spiel. As I try to explain to him that not only is an open copy not new, but also how we are expected to gift someone,(and yes I am of the opinion that giving someone an open gift is rude, at least in a situation like this) and he starts giving me his word that they have never been played, and all this BS, and after I said no, he started literally getting angry at me. Like raising his voice, asking me if I thought he was a liar, and basically accusing me of several things. After I refused, very rudely at this point I might add, he looks at me, and says, well I can seal them for you.

I was honestly speechless, and my sister and I just left. Needless to say I've never been back to this store.

-edit: wow um... Big block of text. Sorry about that.
TLDR: GameStop tried to sell me two "new" games, got angry when I said no, then offered to seal them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ideally these individuals employed by GameStop would put their obviously valuable customer service skills to good use elsewhere.

However I find the average GameStop register monkey to be on par with a McDonald's cashier in terms of demanding job tasks or intelligence, so I think that they should probably not find their considerable skill hard to employ elsewhere.

[quote name='jer7583']Ideally these individuals employed by GameStop would put their obviously valuable customer service skills to good use elsewhere.

However I find the average GameStop register monkey to be on par with a McDonald's cashier in terms of demanding job tasks or intelligence, so I think that they should probably not find their considerable skill hard to employ elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
Honestly that's anywhere anymore, if you ask me. I've been to Kmart/Sears/Target/etc and they ALL have some portion of dickhead employees who either are one step above braindead and think a job is a place for social hour the whole shift or they're a bug up your ass when you don't need help but then fade into the wallboards like the Predator when you DO have a question.

Even if you CAN find them to help you out, watch out if you ask for a price check. Either they groan and sigh and begrudgingly get the game(s) out of the cases to check them OR my favorite is when they point to the price sticker on the item as if the price sticker is 100% correct 100% of the time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Honestly that's anywhere anymore, if you ask me. I've been to Kmart/Sears/Target/etc and they ALL have some portion of dickhead employees who either are one step above braindead and think a job is a place for social hour the whole shift or they're a bug up your ass when you don't need help but then fade into the wallboards like the Predator when you DO have a question.

Even if you CAN find them to help you out, watch out if you ask for a price check. Either they groan and sigh and begrudgingly get the game(s) out of the cases to check them OR my favorite is when they point to the price sticker on the item as if the price sticker is 100% correct 100% of the time.[/QUOTE]

Agreed about multiple stores having employees like that, the GameStop around my area probably actually has some of the best employees out of any stores that sell games locally, they are all (save for like one or two) generally helpful when it comes to helping me get what I need.

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']If this was facebook I would like your comment[/QUOTE]
Except that if this was Facebook I wouldn't be here, since I hate those "social media" sites.:booty: I WAS on MySpace back in the day, but all I did on there was write blogs about how people I'd never heard of wanted to be my friends and how the site was so full of fuckin' shit like the people there.;)

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']I would love to know when I ever said fuck gamestop, or that I wanted to put them out of business. If you had actually read the whole thread you probably would have seen that not only did I admit fault for being ignorant in the fact that they did actually give out these codes, but also the other things we have talked about besides the conclusion you jumped to.

"But yah bro, fuck gamestop bro, it's so gay bro, they only wanted to give me 2 dollars for madden 01 bro"
-Super serious guy. Bro.[/QUOTE]

Maybe next time, you take your own advice and read what was actually written. Because to my knowledge, I didn't say "OP is an idiot for saying 'fuck Gamestop!'" If I did, then please let me know. Clearly I was referencing the two idiots who actually basically made this comment...

[quote name='jer7583']I wouldn't mind if the all games just ran a demo of the game from the disc until you entered a one time use code to unlock the full game, XBLA style. Put gamestop out of business, already. It actually would be pretty convenient if once you registered the code and if you install the game, you could just play without the disc.

PC has been doing it for years with one time use registration codes. What we need is a Steam style digital marketplace that offers significant discounts to appeal to those who now shop at gamestop to save that $10-$20 off new release games. Unfortunately PSN and XBL only charge MSRP or higher on most of their full retail digital games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='AugustAPC']But yea... I guess the point is gamestop promotion. You can still buy the game used from a friend or other stores and not get an online pass... so... yea, fuck retail, and fuck online passes.[/QUOTE]

So like I said, try to take your own advice, and read the topic before just jumping to conclusions. Just because I posted in a thread that you started, doesn't mean I'm directly talking about you. Welcome to forums, this is how they work.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's not so much that we want them to go out of business insomuch as just be taken to task for some of their policies, namely the open games sold as new thing. Try this experiment: Go into one of their stores, buy a cheap game you wanna keep anyway and buy it new/sealed, open it in front of them and then say you want to return the game.

See what they say. Once opened a game is 'not new anymore' and must be traded in and cannot be returned. Yet it's perfectly alright for the employees across the chain to do the exact same to make display cases. However, Toys R' Us has used cases with promotional coverart for display purposes for years to showcase which games they had in stock WITHOUT having to open up games to get cases to display.[/QUOTE]

I've actually worked at Gamestop part time for about 6 years now. I definitely don't agree with most of their policies, but I'm sorry to say...that's just how it is. I don't understand why people post the same things over and over and over, like it's actually going to do something. As long as there are soccer moms,

[quote name='captaintek3304']Maybe next time, you take your own advice and read what was actually written. Because to my knowledge, I didn't say "OP is an idiot for saying 'fuck Gamestop!'" If I did, then please let me know. Clearly I was referencing the two idiots who actually basically made this comment...

So like I said, try to take your own advice, and read the topic before just jumping to conclusions. Just because I posted in a thread that you started, doesn't mean I'm directly talking about you. Welcome to forums, this is how they work.

I've actually worked at Gamestop part time for about 6 years now. I definitely don't agree with most of their policies, but I'm sorry to say...that's just how it is. I don't understand why people post the same things over and over and over, like it's actually going to do something. As long as there are soccer moms,

[quote name='captaintek3304']I've actually worked at Gamestop part time for about 6 years now. I definitely don't agree with most of their policies, but I'm sorry to say...that's just how it is.[/quote]
Agreed. But believe me, there are better PT jobs out there than working for GS. At least then your job isn't on the line if you don't produce the magazine/PowerUpReward/ numbers that they want you to produce.
I don't understand why people post the same things over and over and over, like it's actually going to do something.
It makes people feel good to 'rant'. If it bugs ya so much, click the X in the upper right corner.;)
As long as there are soccer moms,

Last edited by a moderator:
So you argued with an employee who has no control on pricing just because you thought you'd be cool and people would cheer you on?

That is ridiculousness. On your part.

[quote name='whoknows']So you argued with an employee who has no control on pricing just because you thought you'd be cool and people would cheer you on?

That is ridiculousness. On your part.[/QUOTE]

sigh... no. I asked him for the price of the game used, knowing that it was a game that required an online pass, but not knowing the price(or that they gave one out.) I had never bought a used game from gamestop before that required one, and was curious as to whether gamestop would adjust the price to reflect that it required an online pass.

Not at all what you just insinuated I was doing. Besides, I never picked a fight with the guy, i simply got frustrated with him when he was very vague about answering my question.

fail-stamp.jpg

[quote name='DANNY2582']Is the online passes only for ps3 or does some xbox games come with them 2[/QUOTE]

Apparently Arkham asylum has it? Also apparently other games published by Warner brothers.

From what I recall Kotaku tried to call gamestop out on the new games sold as used practice but I do not remember how far they got with that.

bread's done
Back