Any Backwards Compatibility Issues?

Mindzeye82

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just got my Wii and I'm ready to toss my GC as a space saver. Before I do so, I want to ensure there are no backwards compatibility issues with any GC games with the Wii. However, I can't seem to find the official line from Nintendo that the Wii is completely compatible with GC games with the exception of Zelda: TP.

So, does anyone know if there are any backwards compatibility issues between the Wii and GC?

Thanks!

I haven't heard any verified reports of problems yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any. What is the problem with Zelda:TP? Can't you play that on a Wii?

I thought that Nintendo said that you can't play the GC version of TP on the Wii. Or maybe they said you can't play the Wii version with a GC controller? I could have sworn there was som issue between the Wii and the GC version of TP, but that may have been fixed.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']I thought that Nintendo said that you can't play the GC version of TP on the Wii. Or maybe they said you can't play the Wii version with a GC controller? I could have sworn there was som issue between the Wii and the GC version of TP, but that may have been fixed.[/quote]

You can play the GC version of TP on the Wii, you just can't use the Wii controller with it -- just as you can't use the GC controller on the Wii version. That's all. Not really an issue.

In terms of backwards compatibility, I've said it before (seconds ago, actually), but the Wii seems to play GC games just fine -- but you may experience a few disc read errors unless you orient the console vertically.

I've just played Super Smash Brothers, and it works like a charm.

My only complaint is that you can't access the home menu or go back to the Wii Menu without rebooting the system it looks like (from a GC game)

My friend had issues with Animal Crossing. The actual game worked fine, but the classic games wouldn't work. They would boot but it wouldnt register any button presses. He could only exit the game.

Could this be an actual issue when playing emulated GC games? Or maybe its just Nintendo wanting you to buy the VC games.

[quote name='pinoy530']My friend had issues with Animal Crossing. The actual game worked fine, but the classic games wouldn't work. They would boot but it wouldnt register any button presses. He could only exit the game.

Could this be an actual issue when playing emulated GC games? Or maybe its just Nintendo wanting you to buy the VC games.[/QUOTE]

Ummm... the CCs don't work at all on GC games.

i had the same problem. i tried to play a classic game from AC and used a GC controller and it didnt work. whats going on here...

Kotaku was reporting that someone was having trouble with Mario Golf on it, loading a save issue I think.

Most games seem to work absolutely fine, though. I was playing Fire Emblem and Geist earlier this morning on the system and had no problems.

I haven't really heard about any problem with the Wii's backwards compatibility. But I'd say keep your Game Cube around just incase.

[quote name='pinoy530']Ummm....what does this have to do with my post?[/QUOTE]

Ah I misread your post, I thought you said that you were trying to play the NES games with the CC.

bread's done
Back