Any good non-main stream shooters?

Soodmeg

CAGiversary!
I really want to blast some stuff but I have played and beaten pretty much all the main stream shooters that are out. So I am looking for different type of shooter. As long as its shooting a gun I am down (so Fallout 3 would count if I didnt already beat it) I am not againts main stream but if its a common game that means I probably already played it and beat it.

Thanks in advance.

Although it's not "main-stream", I'm going to assume you've already played Serious Sam. If not, it's on sale currently (last day is today) from the XBLM, and all it is is just blasting stuff.

For a different type of experience, I enjoyed Fracture.

Duke Nukem 3D (400 msp til monday) :hot:
Serious Sam HD TFE (800 msp til monday) :hot:
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men (cheap)
Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 (cheap) :hot:
Section 8 is really mediocre, try the demo first.
Quake Wars: Enemy Territory (cheap, possibly no demo)
Too Human (love/hate action RPG with guns, relatively cheap, demo on xbl)
Unreal Tournament 3? (seems to be overlooked on consoles, also cheap, no demo) :hot:
Legendary? (demo on XBL, pretty generic...)

There are more but these came to mind... Fireball is a must-try.

Have you tried Mirror's Edge? It's not a shooter, but you can break the spirit of the game and make it one LOL.

I don't have any serious suggestions

[quote name='Rhett']Duke Nukem 3D (400 msp til monday) :hot:
Serious Sam HD TFE (800 msp til monday) :hot:
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men (cheap)
Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2 (cheap) :hot:
Section 8 is really mediocre, try the demo first.
Quake Wars: Enemy Territory (cheap, possibly no demo)
Too Human (love/hate action RPG with guns, relatively cheap, demo on xbl)
Unreal Tournament 3? (seems to be overlooked on consoles, also cheap, no demo) :hot:
Legendary? (demo on XBL, pretty generic...)

There are more but these came to mind... Fireball is a must-try.[/QUOTE]
Played and loved most of those...havent heard of legendary or section 8 but will look into it. What is fireball?

Played Mirrors Edge and really enjoyed it. Also loved Psi Ops and played Frontlines like mad when it first came out.

BAH I seeming play just to many damn games. Hell I even played and beat, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty. Which is widely considered one of the worst games to ever have been produced.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']The Darkness
Prey
Gun[/QUOTE]

All good choices.

I played some Frontlines and it pretty much sucked, so avoid that one.

Time Splitters 2, or Time Splitters 3: Future Perfect. IIRC, neither is BC on the 360 though, so you'd have to dig out the xbox1.

I will second Legendary and Eat Lead, and also recommend Damnation.

All three games were pretty much shit on in the reviews, but definitely had some fun factor and are good bang for your buck.

Legendary uses Greek Mythology in modern-day NYC. The world begins to crumble as Pandora's Box is opened and all of the popular Greek creatures begin to run throughout the world. As the main character you are put to the test of defeating a group of "mad" scientists and restoring Pandora's Box.

Eat Lead... In short this is to video games what the Scary Movie(s), Epic Movie, Date Movie, and Meet The Spartans are to film. It takes aim at Halo, Mario, and a few other brands and mocks them. The game itself is filled with some fairly funny moments that take shots at the big guys in the video game industry.

Damnation is kind of a strange game, I personally have not finished it yet since I always find myself going back to MW2 multiplayer. That being said, it wasn't all that bad. The story takes place in the future when the government has become overthrown and you work along side a few other NPC to help stop the regime behind the uprising. The main characters are all fairly Western-like in that the main weapons are mostly six shooters and such. Overall the game is nothing that will blow your mind, but it is fun and can probably be bought for < $20.

[quote name='dkreegz515']shadowrun[/QUOTE]

This. I have it for PC, and it still has a good following last I checked. It also supports cross platform play.

It is easily my favorite GFWL game, and if I had it for 360 it'd be one of my favorite 360 games!

Avoid Eat Lead. That game sucked balls. It was so bad I couldn't finish it, and I love playing shitty games. It wasn't funny, and the character moved like he was swimming in cement. It was way more frustrating than fun.

For Eat Lead, it's not a bad game, but the game can get frustrating hard at times. Especially on the last level or so.

I made it through Eat Lead but it was rather frustrating most of the time. The knocks it made at games were rather amusing especially the non 3D and flat Wolfenstein 3D troops. :lol:

So I picked up Eat Lead and like most couldnt get into it at all.........my eyes burn from it.

I am still looking for a good non mainstream summer FPS and just cant find one at all. Super pissed about this. I guess why they are non main stream.

I'll second Shadowrun if you haven't played it and like playing multiplayer(it's MP only)

Other than that, Quantum of Solace was good.

I know you said FPS, but Dark Sector is really good for

Quantum of Solace was very good. I liked it a lot and when I played it I hadnt yet watched the movies.

One of the things is I am in a cycle of always getting bored of main stream shooters and looking else where for entertainment. I have played most of the thing suggested already but a couple have slipped past me.

I will look at Dark Sector today and see whats that is about.

I am dissapointed that the summer rush hasnt spawned 20 or so off brand shooters like it did in the past.

Yeah, Quantum of Solace was pretty good, got it at the big BB sale last year, kinda wish I didn't trade it in. You could also try Metro 2033, the whole environment is great, but the controls are a bit sloppy at times and the stealth is broken, so that may turn you off from it, guess its one of those games you hate or love. Of course it may just seem good to me since I've read the book though. Also if you have a computer that can run it, I would recommend getting the PC version instead though as its supposed to be superior.

Blacklight Tango Down is coming out for 1200 Allards on XBLA next week. There's some videos for it on the Marketplace and YouTube.

I second the notion on Quantum of Solice. Shadowrun is only good if you have a bunch of friends playing it.

[quote name='mvp828']Damnation is kind of a strange game, I personally have not finished it yet since I always find myself going back to MW2 multiplayer. That being said, it wasn't all that bad. The story takes place in the future when the government has become overthrown and you work along side a few other NPC to help stop the regime behind the uprising. The main characters are all fairly Western-like in that the main weapons are mostly six shooters and such. Overall the game is nothing that will blow your mind, but it is fun and can probably be bought for < $20.[/QUOTE]

Damnation is set in a steam-punk universe, that's why it may be weird if you've never heard of stories in that setting.

Breach is looking pretty good but I dont it has a officaly release date yet. Sometime this summer.

Damnation sounds pretty good...although I dont know if I will feel the western six shooters but hell beggers can be choosers.

I second Dark Sector and Earth Defense Force 2017, though both are third person. Dark Sector can pretty easily be found for $6-7 and is definitley worth that price to slice guys up with a flaming boomerang. EDF feels really dated but is a ton of fun for couch co-op (could get pretty repetitive by yourself though).

This might be stretching your definition of a shooter a bit, but I really enjoyed that new Bionic Commando game. Trying to collect the collectibles made it really frustrating but if you ignore those (and the ridiculous story) you can have good time swinging around and shooting stuff. That's another one that's well worth the $7 or so it's going for now.

I have a pretty high tolerance for bad games but I really disliked Too Human. Still finished it though for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another nod for The Darkness. I thought the story and atmosphere were awesome. It's a shooter with some supernatural powers, but really enjoyed it.

I'll second (or third or fourth) The Darkness, Jericho and Rainbow 6 Vegas. Each are under $10 and I'm not very far into Jericho, but Vegas was easily the best $5.99 I've ever spent on a game. Call of Duty, eat your heart out.

I also really enjoyed The Darkness, and though it lost me a bit with the
World War I flashback scenes
, I've probably never cared as much about a game's story, and I've definitely never wanted a revenge kill so badly. As a general rule, you can never go wrong with anything featuring Mike Patton. (And Lauren Ambrose, om nom.)

Patton is extremely talented he used no modifications to his voice for "The Darkness". Hmmm other shooters:

Timeshift
Call Juarez 1 and 2
Far Cry 2
Hitman: Blood Money
Condemned 1 and 2
Stranglehold

I third Dark Sector. Very solid experience and the MP was decent so you can't go wrong with its current price. I'd steer clear of Legendary if you haven't played the demo yet. Terrible, terrible game IMO. Blacksite and The Darkness were decent as well and hella cheap now so you could check that out.

I've been having a pretty good time with Singularity but I'd wait on a price drop.

If you can find it dirt cheap (I picked it up for 2.50 the other day at GC) Prey is decent. Your an indian who was abducted by aliens and basically fighting your way off the ship and rescue your girlfriend (as far as I can tell, I haven't played it much yet).

Reason I recommend it only if dirt cheap though is this. To me, the game is EXTREMELY EASY. Once you pass...level 3 I think it is and gain the ability to death walk, you don't even die. Instead, you go through a small minigame (if you can call it that) to come back to life where you died at.

The other problem I have with it is the levels seem really short. Granted, I only played for about an hour last night so don't know how the later levels fare, but I got through the first 7 levels fairly quickly.

[quote name='JStryke']If you can find it dirt cheap (I picked it up for 2.50 the other day at GC) Prey is decent. Your an indian who was abducted by aliens and basically fighting your way off the ship and rescue your girlfriend (as far as I can tell, I haven't played it much yet).

Reason I recommend it only if dirt cheap though is this. To me, the game is EXTREMELY EASY. Once you pass...level 3 I think it is and gain the ability to death walk, you don't even die. Instead, you go through a small minigame (if you can call it that) to come back to life where you died at.

The other problem I have with it is the levels seem really short. Granted, I only played for about an hour last night so don't know how the later levels fare, but I got through the first 7 levels fairly quickly.[/QUOTE]

It's about that much at Gamestop, too, but it's a decent game. It's hardly a spoiler, in the opening scene when the aliens destroy the bar, I had 10001110101 by Clutch randomly on the jukebox and it was the coolest thing ever.

I loved the level design on Prey, the portals really mess with you at times! I also second it was awesome to hear one of all time favorite bands CLUTCH on the jukebox. Another nice touch are the fake Art Bell radio segments where people talk about being abducted by aliens.

This game was on my radar ever since it was first mentioned being made by 3D Realms for PC back in '95. Funny side story this game was supposed to use the Duke Nukem 5 engine (the game to be released after Duke Nukem Forever :lol: ). Rather than ending up like John Romero's Daikatana or in development hell like Nukem. Prey actually came out is a really good fps. Too bad the multi-player was not that great.

Last edited by a moderator:
so i went to pick up prey today and gamestop didnt have it. i saw lengdary but it the disc was all screwed up. pick up star wars force unleashed. i know not fps but i am going to beat it and find prey.

bread's done
Back