Any other HS seniors out there? How's the application process going for you?

fugazi_chichimon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I was just interested and wanted to see if any other CGAers were going through the same process as me.

I got accepted to U of Michigan Ann Arbor (rolling) but got deferred U of Penn Wharton (ED). Other schools I'm applying to are McGill, U of Rochester, Cornell ALS, Kenyon, U of Miami, Washington University, SUNY Binghamton and that's about it.

How about you guys?

Back in the day when I was a HS Senior I applied to MSU and CMU in Octoberish... maybe even late September. Point being I was accepted before December... so ya, moral is: HS Juniors, apply early as possible.

Senior, who has been accepted to Full Sail (100% admission rate, hard NOT to), and so far have only applied to Stanford. I'm doing the rest ofmy applications tomorrow.

I applied to most of the UC schools (Univeristy of California), application process went pretty smoothly for me, although I waited to almost the last minute to apply (refining my personal statement.)

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Senior, who has been accepted to Full Sail (100% admission rate, hard NOT to), and so far have only applied to Stanford. I'm doing the rest ofmy applications tomorrow.[/quote]

You could get caught with the Dean's wife :?:

Man, most of you guys applied to schools that are pretty close by. I've applied to ones pretty damn far away from me (at least 5-6 hours). I really want to get out of New York City even though I'm only 16. I almost applied to the UCs but, I wanted a place what was close enough to drive to.

regisphilbi0- Wash U is close to you isn't it? i've never visited the school but I've heard good things about it. Is St. Louis a nice city?

Zenithian Legend- I've visited U Mich but, I didn't go off campus. Is there anything to do there except to look for some cheapassdeals in Michigan?

Right now I'm leaning towards McGill since it's super cheap meaning more money for my car and I like the city (Montreal). Only bad thing is the fact that it's all the way up there in that barren wasteland, Canada.

I'm applying to Electrical Engineering PhD programs: RPI, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Princeton

If any of you guys are interested in Electrical Engineering then I might be able to give you a few tips on the pros and cons of different schools.

[quote name='chunk']I'm applying to Electrical Engineering PhD programs: RPI, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Columbia, Princeton

If any of you guys are interested in Electrical Engineering then I might be able to give you a few tips on the pros and cons of different schools.[/quote]

And I can give you what actually goes on at WPI since thats what I'm doing.

I was about to get all huffy cause you didn't apply to WPI but then I saw PhD.

[quote name='fugazi_chichimon']Man, most of you guys applied to schools that are pretty close by. I've applied to ones pretty damn far away from me (at least 5-6 hours). I really want to get out of New York City even though I'm only 16. I almost applied to the UCs but, I wanted a place what was close enough to drive to.

regisphilbi0- Wash U is close to you isn't it? i've never visited the school but I've heard good things about it. Is St. Louis a nice city?

Zenithian Legend- I've visited U Mich but, I didn't go off campus. Is there anything to do there except to look for some cheapassdeals in Michigan?

Right now I'm leaning towards McGill since it's super cheap meaning more money for my car and I like the city (Montreal). Only bad thing is the fact that it's all the way up there in that barren wasteland, Canada.[/quote]

Well...

#1 I go to Central Michigan and applied to State not U of M

#2 There's plenty to do there though, sports, parties, etc... plus there's an actual town and mall in Ann Arbor, so that's useful too. If I had had the money and the desire to maintain my grades after my parents split up my sophomore year, then I'd probably go there, lord knows my ACT scores were high enough. As it turns out I went to CMU instead, mainly because it was the furthest away from home and everything else in my life at the time. In retrospect I wish I had transferred to state with my freshman roomate, but maybe I'll get my masters there, who can tell.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='fugazi_chichimon']Man, most of you guys applied to schools that are pretty close by. I've applied to ones pretty damn far away from me (at least 5-6 hours). I really want to get out of New York City even though I'm only 16. I almost applied to the UCs but, I wanted a place what was close enough to drive to.

Right now I'm leaning towards McGill since it's super cheap meaning more money for my car and I like the city (Montreal). Only bad thing is the fact that it's all the way up there in that barren wasteland, Canada.[/quote]

Well...

#2 There's plenty to do there though, sports, parties, etc... plus there's an actual town and mall in Ann Arbor, so that's useful too. If I had had the money and the desire to maintain my grades after my parents split up my sophomore year, then I'd probably go there, lord knows my ACT scores were high enough. As it turns out I went to CMU instead, mainly because it was the furthest away from home and everything else in my life at the time. In retrospect I wish I had transferred to state with my freshman roomate, but maybe I'll get my masters there, who can tell.[/quote]

Oh I didn't mean the immediate area around the school. I meant like road trip places like Detroit or big skiing resorts.

I applied to Notre Dame for Early Action and got a response stating that I was deffered and they would not decide on my application untill March with the rest of them. I figure that is good, because if they didn't want me, they would have just said no. I have also been accepted to Purdue for their First Year Engineering program.

Yeah Early Decision makes life a lot easier. I applied to UVA early, got in, and no worries over winter break.

Fond memories of the college application process...

and now four years later I'm doing the same thing for graduate schools.

ED is highly recommended if you have a particular school that you wanna go to. You'll also get to witness your fellow classmates' anxiety come March-April. Being able to know of your acceptance to a school by December is beyond kickass.

[quote name='Final Starman']What exactly is early decision/early action? I'm a junior in HS right now.[/quote]

A school promises to let you know if you've been accepted or not with a short wait (sometimes just weeks). The catch is that if you're accepted, you're contractually obligated to attend. If you're set on a school as your first choice, it's a good idea. If you're not sure, though, don't bother.

[quote name='fugazi_chichimon'][quote name='Zenithian Legend'][quote name='fugazi_chichimon']Man, most of you guys applied to schools that are pretty close by. I've applied to ones pretty damn far away from me (at least 5-6 hours). I really want to get out of New York City even though I'm only 16. I almost applied to the UCs but, I wanted a place what was close enough to drive to.

Well...

#2 There's plenty to do there though, sports, parties, etc... plus there's an actual town and mall in Ann Arbor, so that's useful too. If I had had the money and the desire to maintain my grades after my parents split up my sophomore year, then I'd probably go there, lord knows my ACT scores were high enough. As it turns out I went to CMU instead, mainly because it was the furthest away from home and everything else in my life at the time. In retrospect I wish I had transferred to state with my freshman roomate, but maybe I'll get my masters there, who can tell.[/quote]

Oh I didn't mean the immediate area around the school. I meant like road trip places like Detroit or big skiing resorts.[/quote]

Mmm...There is skiiing in the UP, if I'm not mistaken (I don't ski at all), and we're not too far away from Chicago or Toronto.

I've only applied to four schools: Purdue, Western Michigan (accepted at both), U-Mich, and Washington (waiting on those two). I've got the grades and test scores to apply virtually anywhere and be accepted, but cash is a huge problem for me. Even with scholarships, I can't afford a place like MIT or CalTech. It doesn't help that aerospace isn't exactly a common major...

I'll see what happens. I'd love to go to UofM, but I need to be accepted first, whenever that happens...

Early Action/Early Decision is an option for seniors that lets them apply to one school during October and find out their results by December. Early Decision is binding which means if you get in you gotta go, Early Action isn't, but not many schools have it as an option (I know BC does). It's pretty gravy if you know what school you want to go to and get in (screw UPenn). Only bad thing is you might get less money from the school because of some FAFSA stuff.

I'm a high school senior as well.

Applied: Tufts, Cornell, RPI, RIT, Suny Binghamton/Stony Brook/Geneseo.

I'm planning on going to Rensselaer. RPI pwnz :cool:

Got accepted into Kent State University and University of Rhode Island. Also applied to Case Western Reserve and Ohio State, nothing yet. Still need to apply to UMASS Amherst and Oberlin College.

I've been procrastinating. Perhaps I should fill out my application for Auburn University before it's too late. That and the more local, less known, Jacksonville State University.

I'm a junior in high school right now, so I should start worrying about this kind of stuff. Any recommendations for schools that specialize in computer programming? I was thinking about Carnegie Mellon University and NYU (I live in New York and it's an excellent school). Also, I'm interested in Full Sail's game design program. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

[quote name='FunkSoulBrother']I'm a junior in high school right now, so I should start worrying about this kind of stuff. Any recommendations for schools that specialize in computer programming? I was thinking about Carnegie Mellon University and NYU (I live in New York and it's an excellent school). Also, I'm interested in Full Sail's game design program. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.[/quote]

since you're living in NY, I'd suggest applying to RPI too. What are your PSAT scores/projected scores?

[quote name='Marines920'][quote name='FunkSoulBrother']I'm a junior in high school right now, so I should start worrying about this kind of stuff. Any recommendations for schools that specialize in computer programming? I was thinking about Carnegie Mellon University and NYU (I live in New York and it's an excellent school). Also, I'm interested in Full Sail's game design program. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.[/quote]

since you're living in NY, I'd suggest applying to RPI too. What are your PSAT scores/projected scores?[/quote]

Like an idiot, I forgot to register to take the PSAT this year, but I did take it last year as a Sophomore. If I remember correctly, I got an 1150 overall without studying at all. Out of all my classmates, I got pretty much the highest grade, so I guess that has to count for something. If I had studied and practiced before hand, I'm sure that score would have been a lot higher. Also, I'm running a 98.0 overall average, highest out of all Juniors in my school. By the way, I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm just stating the facts. Soon, I'm going to register to take the new SAT in March, so I'm going to study like crazy in these coming months.

I am a highschool senior. I have gotten into NJIT for Mechanical Engineering (full scholarship from there). I need to wait and see if I got into Cornell, RPI, or Bucknell (and a few other schools).

What SAT scores did you all get? I got 1440 SAT I. I got 780 Math IIC, 730 Writing, 680 Physics :(. Not the best score, but they are decent.

[quote name='FunkSoulBrother']I'm a junior in high school right now, so I should start worrying about this kind of stuff. Any recommendations for schools that specialize in computer programming? I was thinking about Carnegie Mellon University and NYU (I live in New York and it's an excellent school). Also, I'm interested in Full Sail's game design program. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.[/quote]

While NYU is a great school, as a former NYC resident I would strongly suggest that you go away to college. I went to SUNY Potsdam which while in the middle of nowhere was a great experience. My sister went to NYU and our memories of college are like night and day.

[quote name='marlboro2'][quote name='FunkSoulBrother']I'm a junior in high school right now, so I should start worrying about this kind of stuff. Any recommendations for schools that specialize in computer programming? I was thinking about Carnegie Mellon University and NYU (I live in New York and it's an excellent school). Also, I'm interested in Full Sail's game design program. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.[/quote]

While NYU is a great school, as a former NYC resident I would strongly suggest that you go away to college. I went to SUNY Potsdam which while in the middle of nowhere was a great experience. My sister went to NYU and our memories of college are like night and day.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with you. I've been wanting to go away for college just to see how the away from home college experience is like. I have no idea where I want to go right now, but I need to make a decision soon.

Hmm, you guys are slow. I remember applying to all 3 of my schools in August of my senior year. I was accepted to University of Pittsburgh on August 29th, lol.

[quote name='FunkSoulBrother'][quote name='Marines920'][quote name='FunkSoulBrother']I'm a junior in high school right now, so I should start worrying about this kind of stuff. Any recommendations for schools that specialize in computer programming? I was thinking about Carnegie Mellon University and NYU (I live in New York and it's an excellent school). Also, I'm interested in Full Sail's game design program. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.[/quote]

since you're living in NY, I'd suggest applying to RPI too. What are your PSAT scores/projected scores?[/quote]

Like an idiot, I forgot to register to take the PSAT this year, but I did take it last year as a Sophomore. If I remember correctly, I got an 1150 overall without studying at all. Out of all my classmates, I got pretty much the highest grade, so I guess that has to count for something. If I had studied and practiced before hand, I'm sure that score would have been a lot higher. Also, I'm running a 98.0 overall average, highest out of all Juniors in my school. By the way, I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm just stating the facts. Soon, I'm going to register to take the new SAT in March, so I'm going to study like crazy in these coming months.[/quote]

Erm, just to let you know, an 1150 isn't going to get you into Carnegie Mellon. =/ While we've changed our admissions policies a bit in the past year or two (not relying on test scores as much) and we're caring a bit more about extra cirricular activities and whatnot, they're still pretty important. I think average for our Computer Science school is somewhere around 1350. =/

Anyone have questions about Carnegie Mellon (Materials Engineering in particular) feel free to talk to me about it. I think this place is great (although I hate Pittsburgh more than you can imagine).

Edit:

[quote name='fugazi_chichimon']man, i'm a nerd... 1510 SAT (760 verbal, 750 math), 700 writing, 780 math 1c, 750 us history and 740 bio, all to become a dentist : D[/quote]

Haha, I remember taking the Math Ic. I did it after taking the IIc because one of the schools I applied to wanted the Ic test for some reason. I wound up with a 790 on IIc and a 710 on Ic. Gotta love having not taken the class that's covered on the easier test. :D

[quote name='fugazi_chichimon']man, i'm a nerd... 1510 SAT (760 verbal, 750 math), 700 writing, 780 math 1c, 750 us history and 740 bio, all to become a dentist : D[/quote]

Decent scores man, especially for a Bio person.

[quote name='RacinReaver'][quote name='FunkSoulBrother'][quote name='Marines920'][quote name='FunkSoulBrother']I'm a junior in high school right now, so I should start worrying about this kind of stuff. Any recommendations for schools that specialize in computer programming? I was thinking about Carnegie Mellon University and NYU (I live in New York and it's an excellent school). Also, I'm interested in Full Sail's game design program. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.[/quote]

Like an idiot, I forgot to register to take the PSAT this year, but I did take it last year as a Sophomore. If I remember correctly, I got an 1150 overall without studying at all. Out of all my classmates, I got pretty much the highest grade, so I guess that has to count for something. If I had studied and practiced before hand, I'm sure that score would have been a lot higher. Also, I'm running a 98.0 overall average, highest out of all Juniors in my school. By the way, I'm not trying to brag or anything, I'm just stating the facts. Soon, I'm going to register to take the new SAT in March, so I'm going to study like crazy in these coming months.[/quote]

Erm, just to let you know, an 1150 isn't going to get you into Carnegie Mellon. =/ While we've changed our admissions policies a bit in the past year or two (not relying on test scores as much) and we're caring a bit more about extra cirricular activities and whatnot, they're still pretty important. I think average for our Computer Science school is somewhere around 1350. =/

Anyone have questions about Carnegie Mellon (Materials Engineering in particular) feel free to talk to me about it. I think this place is great (although I hate Pittsburgh more than you can imagine).

Edit:

Haha, I remember taking the Math Ic. I did it after taking the IIc because one of the schools I applied to wanted the Ic test for some reason. I wound up with a 790 on IIc and a 710 on Ic. Gotta love having not taken the class that's covered on the easier test. :D[/quote]

LOL, 1150 is definitely not a good score for Carnegie Mellon, but I was just saying that it was a decent score considering that I didn't practice at all before the test. Most of the math on the test was stuff I learned at least a year ago and I didn't know a lot of the vocabulary, so it would have been difficult to get a high grade without any prior studying or practice. However, I expect much higher grades on the real SAT because I'm planning on working as hard as I can these coming months. Anyway, I appreciate the advice, thanks a lot.

By the way, are there any good strategies for studying for the SAT? I'm planning on reading plenty of books and maybe I'll work a bit on my writing. Also, I'm thinking about ordering the practice book directly from the College Board (they let you do that on the registration form for the SAT). What worked for you guys?

Don't be so harsh. It was only his PSAT score. You people are so evil. I got a 510 math on my PSATs but winded up in the 700's on the actual SAT.

I think the Math section will be the easiest to study for since the questions they choose all come from a pretty certain format. Once you learn how to do all the types of questions they ask they're a joke.

Verbal's a bit harder, since there's a lot of rules and whatnot. I wish I had studied for it, since I'm sure there were plenty of simple questions that I got wrong. I'm just glad I don't have to take the writing section like you guys do.

Also, do try to get a good night's sleep before the SATs; I accidentally stayed up until 3 AM playing CS with a couple of my clan buddies and I'm sure it took a toll on my scores (not saying they aren't good or anything >.>).

Marines, I also got hosed on my PSAT scores since I got a projected 1250 or something like that and missed getting National Merit Scholar, yet I beat out all of my friends on the normal SATs which qualified for it. Bastards cutting me out of possible scholarship money. =\

I applied to the local community college for LAN Management and PC Repair and so far I haven't gotten anything back from them yet, but I'm sure Ill be accepted because I have a 3.5+ GPA and got a 26 on my ACT (but I did take it again a few weeks ago).

lol. I suck so much at Verbal. I got 1 analogy wrong, 0 sentence completions wrong, but I got like half of the reading comprehensions wrong. Good vocabulary, poor reading skills lol. I wound up with low 600's verbal and mid 700's math. About at 1350 for me. I'm proud of my score because I know that my max verbal score would be around a 650. Some people are just better test takers than others

Ugh, I can't wait until I go to RPI and chillax.

[quote name='Marines920']I'm a high school senior as well.

Applied: Tufts, Cornell, RPI, RIT, Suny Binghamton/Stony Brook/Geneseo.

I'm planning on going to Rensselaer. RPI pwnz :cool:[/quote]

My bro goes to RPI, first year, medical program.

[quote name='ananag112']For Art SneakyPenguin?[/quote]

Possibly, but I'm really looking at Computer Sciences or Business.

So, would my 1370 be good for Carnegie Mello, along with my roughly 3.8 GPA?

I also got 4's on both AP tests I took (Computer Science and English)

I actually received some good news earlier this week. I applied Early Decision to Northwestern Universtiy, just outside Chicago. On Wednesday, I received my acceptance letter in the mail. I live in Florida so the transition to Chicago will be tough but manageable (I hope). Good luck to all those still in the process.

SneakyPenguin:: Carnegie Mellon's Computer Science School is VERY competitive to get into. You have great stats, but you're not guaranteed acceptance.

help1:: How does he like RPI? Hard course load?

For extracurricular activities, I'm on the Math Honor Society and I was in Arista in Junior High School (I don't know if that means anything right now). I could probably do some more during my senior year.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin'][quote name='ananag112']For Art SneakyPenguin?[/quote]

Possibly, but I'm really looking at Computer Sciences or Business.

So, would my 1370 be good for Carnegie Mello, along with my roughly 3.8 GPA?

I also got 4's on both AP tests I took (Computer Science and English)[/quote]

It'll help, but there's no way to guarantee that you'll get in. Do you have lots of extra cirricular activities? They love people with diverse interests.

Also, if you can, be sure to interview at any school you're applying to. I don't know if it actually helped me get in to the schools I did or not, but I go in everyone I interviewed and got rejected from the one school I didn't (stupid school being in California :( ).

For whoever's going to RPI, enjoy Troy :lol: In case you're interested, you have a gamestop 10 minutes driving, not walkable. A game crazy, and 2 EBs are also close by. But troy really is an ugly city. Your campus is nice though, although its god damn huge. Nice comic store downtown too called aquelonia. I grew up about 15 minutes away and I have friends that go to RPI.

Oh, and at WPI if anyones interested we just got an Interactive Game design major put in, so if you're interested in game design and want a university education, we got ya covered.

bread's done
Back