Anybody watch 'Rockstar Supernova'?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Song selections for this week snagged from Reality TV World plus some commentary from me...

Patrice - Beautiful Thing - Original song
Magni - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Ryan - Back of your Car - Original song
Storm - Cryin' - Aerosmith
Dilana - Every Breath You Take - the Police
Toby - Layla - Eric Clapton
Lukas - All These Things That I've Done - The Killers

Patrice getting an original song selection is a waste. She's gone this week anyway, in my opinion. Then the real fight is on.

Magni singing Teen Spirit? Maybe NOW I'll find out what the words actually are, besides the Weird Al version... ;)

Unless Dilana grunges up Every Breath like Juliana Hatfield did...I'm not interested.

Storm on an Aerosmith song? Damn, I heart her, but this might get her a bottom three...not even she can possibly make that song cool.

I'm thinking just from the selections that Toby, Storm, and Patrice will be bottom three, with Patrice leaving.
[/quote]

Oh God, Lukas is going to ruin another one of my favorite songs...
:cry:

Thoughts...

Patrice - Beautiful Thing - Original song - Nah, not impressed at all. Patrice is the next who needs to leave. Like Dave said, she might have a great solo career, but definitely not in front of Supernova.

Magni - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana - That really kicked ass. I didn't care for Magni in the first few weeks of the competition, but now he's really taking leaps and bounds to the forefront of leading Supernova.

Ryan - Back of your Car - Original song - I was floored. Damn, that was fantastic. Ryan's another dude coming from the back of the pack to totally knock the house down. Well done.

Storm - Cryin' - Aerosmith - I take it back, she made it work through the brute force power of her voice. I wish she'd take more liberties in the arranging, but yeah, there were points where I got chills.

Dilana - Every Breath You Take - the Police - I like how she had them drop the bassline down, but I thought she was a bit flippant and "out of character" at times for the tone of the song. I still stand by the fact that Juliana Hatfield did the best all time cover of this song.

Toby - Layla - Eric Clapton - Despite what Supernova said, I actually liked this version, and they're right, Toby had a great stage presence, great energy, and it had an additive effect of making it a great performance.

Lukas - All These Things That I've Done - The Killers - I'm about as impressed with Lukas lately as I am Patrice. I don't know what happened to Lukas, but he's lost something. Did Hole do him in?

My picks for bottom three after viewing the show? Lukas and Patrice solidly, and sadly, either Dilana or Storm for the third spot. Maybe Toby if the vote goes wonky. Patrice goes home.

Also of note, the Finale is September 13th. That means including this week, there are three weeks of dismissals before the final show. Could we possibly be seeing another double elimination? With seven remaining, only losing one per show until the finale will leave a top four. I can't remember how it went down last year, but most Finales of this type go with a top three.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']
My picks for bottom three after viewing the show? Lukas and Patrice solidly, and sadly, either Dilana or Storm for the third spot. Maybe Toby if the vote goes wonky. Patrice goes home.
[/quote]
Lukas is not going to get voted in the bottom three ever as long as the general(ly idiotic) public is voting, Lukas will stay as far away from possible elimination as he has from vocal coaches, because he's being carried there. Say thank you to the goth kids, Lukas, and if you ever get in the bottom 3, just sing Nine Inch Nails or the Cure, the whole room will swoon to your Cookie Monster-esque snarling (ahem...) singing.

That said, once it is up to Supernova, and not the general(ly idiotic) public, I hope they have the wherewithal to kick him the hell off the show and back to the Hot Topic he came from.

Magni and Ryan are the best thus far, and have had 2 encores apiece. I'll personally be happy if either of those two win.

If they don't, if that hack-and-slash job Lukas wins, I will lead a mutiny the likes of which have never been seen. And I am soooo not kidding about that.

So is anyone actually interested in hearing their album? I will definitely if it's Magni, Ryan, or Toby. Others, meh. I will of course listen to it, because Butch Walker is producing it, so thus, it will have to kick some degree of ass. Even if that pouty goth fuck kid Lukas wins, I imagine Butch could make him sound at least decent. Better than Nickelback if nothing else...

Also, for the record...

cookie-monster.jpg
+
2005.02.19.gargamel.jpg
=
edment200.jpg

What WAS Patrice thinking? Can we say pop bubblegum? I second Tommy's sentiment.

I'm not sure why Gilbey has this whole "don't mess with the arrangements of classics" thing, as I actually liked the updated version.

Ryan rocks! I knew he had soul, but a rock and roll soul? Nice surprize.

For some reason, they didn't show it last night on TV here. I think it was pre-empted by some country show (?????). Afterwards, that piece of shit reality show Big Brother was on at 9pm which is the time slot which Supernova was on.

I never bothered to check if Supernova was on at 10pm because I started washing the dishes, etc.

[quote name='Xevious']For some reason, they didn't show it last night on TV here. I think it was pre-empted by some country show (?????). Afterwards, that piece of shit reality show Big Brother was on at 9pm which is the time slot which Supernova was on.

I never bothered to check if Supernova was on at 10pm because I started washing the dishes, etc.[/quote]

It was at 10pm.

from last nights show,

Patrice sucked ass, she reminds me of cheryl crowe

magni, has been kicking ass for weeks, great job

ryan, after being horrible for awhile, he has really turned it up.

Storm, it was an ok rendition. IIRC, dave said to perform memorable, and that was not

dilena, IMO was horrible. That was a horrible version of every breath you take

toby, I loved the rearrangement, and he performed awsome.

Lucas, don't know what happened to him, but his horrible vocals, and looking at the band is annoying.

bottom 3 should be, patrice, lucas, and dilena. Patrice has got to go.

Pre-performance chatter. Wow, Dilana is a mmmmmmassive cunt! Serious loss of teh cool p01nt.

I'm surprised they omitted the encore this week, especially to dedicate so much time to Dilana's bitchisode.

Bottom three...Patrice for sure, but Magni and Toby? Toby maybe, but Magni?! What the fuck, guys? After the performances it was pretty clear who didn't belong. The band sent Patrice home rightfully.

Next week? I used to like Lukas, but I think he needs to be the next to go. I can almost bet Dilana will pull a bottom three spot just based on her offstage antics. Toby's toeing the line, as is Storm, unfortunately. Ryan just keeps looking stronger and stronger, and Magni is staying solid.

I totally agree with you about dilena...with a lead drummer like tommy lee, would he want a big mouth like her in the band behind the scenes. Very suprised that both magni and toby were in the bottom three. IMO, lucas has really lost the attitude/cockiness that he had in the first couple of weeks.

Also, someone had asked about how many were in the finale last year. It was only two the last week IIRC. It was just marty and jd. So 4 is too many.

[quote name='ryanbph']

Also, someone had asked about how many were in the finale last year. It was only two the last week IIRC. It was just marty and jd. So 4 is too many.[/QUOTE]

actually there were 3, jd, marty and mig. mig got eliminated at the beginning of the show and then marty at the end.

I dont understand why Magni made it to the bottom 3 twice already and Lukas has yet to make it there. There are a lot of Magni fans in this thread but somehow its not the case everywhere else.

And I agree with WhipSmart. To me, Dilena is the equivalent of last years Indiapolis Colts. Early in the season, all the football experts were predicting they will win the Superbowl but in the end, they barely whiffed the playoffs. All that shit-talk Dilena did shows some chink in her armor...Thats a bad sign.

Song selections...ganked from Reality TV World, as usual:

This week was the viewer's choice:

Lukas - Lithium - Nirvana
Magni - I, Alone - Live
Ryan - Clocks - Coldplay
Storm - Bring Me Back to Life - Evanescance, with special guest singer...
Toby - Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
Dilana - Mother Mother - Tracy Bonham

man, was the only choices for song voting songs that have already been sung?

i went to their website last week to vote for some songs but couldn't find the link to it.

and my pick for going home is storm. maybe, like 1% chance dilana is after the stuff at the house.

[quote name='LaraCroftsLeftBoob']man, was the only choices for song voting songs that have already been sung?

i went to their website last week to vote for some songs but couldn't find the link to it.

and my pick for going home is storm. maybe, like 1% chance dilana is after the stuff at the house.[/QUOTE]
Well, I had hoped it wouldn't come to this, but the last six are just so good, there's no clear "worst" anymore. Storm's performance made all the hair on my arms stand up...chilling. Magni was fantastic. Lukas wasn't bad. Toby was great. Ryan was crazy. Dilana again shows why the band loves her so much.

It's hard for me to pick a bottom three, but I kind of agree with the early voting - Storm, Lukas, Ryan. If Supernova tipped their hand at all in their critiques, I think they're going to use this week to get rid of Storm, unfortunately. I think now that it's down to the two women, they like Dilana more than Storm and it's simply a matter of now or later.

If that's the case, I'd love to see Lukas go, then Toby, with Ryan, Dilana, and Magni being the final three. Magni FTW.

All the performances tonight were solid. I don't like storm much, but I thought she did a great job tonight. Dilena did solid, but between the show last week and the clips of her during the week, I wonder how much support she will still have.

I missed the first 5 minutes of the show so I didnt see what Dilana did that was so wrong.

In any case, I did catch all the performances and yeah everyone did great. My favorite was Toby. Ryan whom I never cared about before also did great.

I guess If I had to vote for someone to leave, I guess it would be Lukas because I'm just not a fan of his singing style. He's seems like a good guy though.

I agree with WhipSmart in that there is no clear "Bad" singer anymore....This makes the show more gut wretching in the future. You hate to see good people go, especially when there are a lot of stupid singers like Paris Hilton getting ink in the press.

Am I the only one who thinks the band has already chosen Dilana, and is manipulating the show to that end?

--the manufactured house and press drama, so she comes up from a "low"

--tonight being the last performer, right before the vote, then being the first choice on the voting page.

[quote name='chakan']Am I the only one who thinks the band has already chosen Dilana, and is manipulating the show to that end?

--the manufactured house and press drama, so she comes up from a "low"

--tonight being the last performer, right before the vote, then being the first choice on the voting page.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm wondering. Especially since I recognize the plot of this "reality" show from last season. JD's fall from grace, near self-destruction, only to pick himself up and redeem himself to become the chosen one.

Don't get me wrong, I love this show and I loved it last year - for the performances - but Mark Burnett's stamp is all over it.

I hope this isn't the case, as I'd much rather see Magni take it than Dilana.

lukas also started with a bang, and has fallen. One could say the same about him. Espically with his comments in the first couple of episodes, were very similiar to jd in the first couple of episodes.

Wow...Ryan, Storm and Dilana bottom three? Ryan goes home? Say it ain't so! Storm gave me chills yet again, Ryan probably had his most powerfully energetic crowd stealing performance yet, and Dilana trotted all KINDS of suck up and down the stage.

I know, this is shocking, coming from me...

...but Dilana's performance plus her behavior this past two weeks should've sealed her fate. I don't know how much *credit* she has built up with the band, but damn, to get away with this week and stay. What a slap in the face.

Well...I thought the performance were decent but none of them blew me away. I think the reason why Ryan was really good with the Coldplay songs and the melodic songs but he's not really a balls-out rocker like they want.

I started to like Ryan recently so I'm sad to see him go. Still, I feel that it was the best decision.

I still like Dilana; Yeah she's pretty damaged but who isnt? She hasn't turned into Courtney Love (yet). So WhipSmart and I will have divergent views on her....

Storm I love but I don't know if she will go the distance. She is definately easy on the eyes....

[quote name='Xevious']Well...I thought the performance were decent but none of them blew me away. I think the reason why Ryan was really good with the Coldplay songs and the melodic songs but he's not really a balls-out rocker like they want.

I started to like Ryan recently so I'm sad to see him go. Still, I feel that it was the best decision.

I still like Dilana; Yeah she's pretty damaged but who isnt? She hasn't turned into Courtney Love (yet). So WhipSmart and I will have divergent views on her....

Storm I love but I don't know if she will go the distance. She is definately easy on the eyes....[/quote]
hey dude spoiler tags. I already knew the outcome but there might be someone that didnt.

[quote name='jakescape53']hey dude spoiler tags. I already knew the outcome but there might be someone that didnt.[/quote]

I did it to appease you but I dont think its necessary. I figured the program has aired on the West Coast so it not necessary to post spoiler tags. If you have a counter-argument to what I said, I'm be happy to read what you have to say.

Is it ok to talk about the episode yet? Anyway, even if Magni doesn't win Rockstar, I hope someone gives him and his band back in Finland a chance because this guy is a great performer. I hope we can here some of his original music sometime.

IMO, all 3 performances last night sucked ass. Ryan, while I like him, doesn't seem to have the experiance to front a band. His stage prescense isn't the greatest and at times looks akward. Storm performed well but imo sounded horrible. Dillenna was horrible anyway you look at it. She might have talent, but judging from the songs that supernova has played so far, she doesn't have the voice sound that seems to go right with there music. IMO, lukas has looked the best fronting the band. When he is balls out and swaggering on the stage he looks like he belongs as the lead singer. When he is looking at the drummer with his back to the crowd he looks like shit.

ok... so they've been saying at the beginning they want somebody who's all "HARD" and "METAL" etc... yet theyre just playing little girl powerpop/avril lavigne style.

Kinda pissing me off.

EDIT:

Ok wow, so i finally watched wednesdays episode.

Who got kicked was bulllllcraaaappppp.

Dilanas performance was probably the worst performance on the show, it was just disgusting. I really don't see the attraction.

Great show tonight, not going to do an in depth review so bypassing spoilers I'll just say kudos to Dilana for fighting through her injury, Storm for best original song of the night, and Toby for really rocking the crowd. Magni solid as always. Screw Lukas and his "arrangement" of Living On a Prayer. Go home, buddy.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Great show tonight, not going to do an in depth review so bypassing spoilers I'll just say kudos to Dilana for fighting through her injury, Storm for best original song of the night, and Toby for really rocking the crowd. Magni solid as always. Screw Lukas and his "arrangement" of Living On a Prayer. Go home, buddy.[/quote]

I only voted for Storm and Toby this time.

I didnt care for Lukas with his style of singing. Dilana needs to get past playing the pity card- As far as I'm concerned, its getting old.

Magni did a great job with the Bowie song but I was kinda indifferent about his original. Oh...what the hell. I'll vote for Magni.

Magni was good tonight, I hope all of Iceland votes for him. I'm predict that it's Storm that gets kicked off next even though she was one of the strong performers tonight. If it were up to me, Lukas needs to go home. His singing voice is the weakest of all of who is left. Dilana has really dropped off too and probably had the worst of the original songs.

were we watching the same show...storm was out of breath out of the first song, and while the song sounded good, she sounded like shit in the original, as she was clearly out of breath. Magni, was ho hom imo. Both his beatles song as well as his orginal. Dilena, kudos for going on stage, great job on the who song, but your original sucked. lukas was solid imo. While stripping down the living on the prayer might have been a bad idea, he sounded solid and he had his confident strut in his original. Tobby kicked ass, in both the cover and his original. Solid vocals, great energy and great stage presence. I think it is his to win. Magni is a great performer, but he looks like a guy you would ask to be a godparent of your child. Toby looks like tough, and acts crazy. IMO, that is what the frontman of supernova should be.

[quote name='ryanbph']Tobby kicked ass, in both the cover and his original. Solid vocals, great energy and great stage presence. I think it is his to win. Magni is a great performer, but he looks like a guy you would ask to be a godparent of your child. Toby looks like tough, and acts crazy. IMO, that is what the frontman of supernova should be.[/quote]
As they say... Ed Zachary (exactly).

That original song he did is amazing, Magni's was good, but Toby's just blew the roof off that mutha. Everyone else's was bleh, and Lukas'... Well let's just say...

"It makes my head hurt,
It makes my head huuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttttt" :headache:

Yeah, that's more accurate. But what do I know? I'm not a songwriter... Oh wait, yeah I am. I can come up with better songs using one random word from the dictionary in every line, and singing in a different key every 9.6 seconds, with my hands tied behind my back and a sock over my head.

And also, he wears too much make up and various... err... things... he's the kind of girl (cough) guy, that I could see doing 81 things before going to work, or just to the grocery store just because he thinks people might see him.

Oh my god, if it was up to me I would have kicked him off the show Day 1. The Cookie Monster, should not sing. Period.

I promise though, no more anti-Lukas sentiment from me any more. Unless he wins... then... well, then I'll just snap. :bomb:

fuck this show. fuck it up its stupid ass.

That's alright, all the sooner I can get a Storm Large solo album without being hindered, chopped, and processed by those guys.

I do find it funny that SuperNova wanted Storm to win, but had to dump her because the fans didn't...they didn't even say "You're not right for the band."

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']fuck this show. fuck it up its stupid ass.

That's alright, all the sooner I can get a Storm Large solo album without being hindered, chopped, and processed by those guys.

I do find it funny that SuperNova wanted Storm to win, but had to dump her because the fans didn't...they didn't even say "You're not right for the band."[/quote]

I think most of the love was from Dave Navarro; Not Supernova. I hope Storm (at least) gets a record contract from some company. In fact, I hope the losers of this contest all get some sort of fame to help their careers....

Yeah...Storm has always been one of my favorites but I was not a big fan of that Pink Floyd song she did. Still I think Lukas should have gone personally....

imo, of the 3 in the bottom last night, dilena sounded and performed the worst. But, going by previous statements by supernova, storm went back into her confort zone with the floyd song, and she hasn't really did many hard core rock songs that they have asked her to do.

[quote name='ryanbph']imo, of the 3 in the bottom last night, dilena sounded and performed the worst. But, going by previous statements by supernova, storm went back into her confort zone with the floyd song, and she hasn't really did many hard core rock songs that they have asked her to do.[/QUOTE]

I agree, dilena again disapponted me. She has been off the past two weeks, ever since the whole controversy. It is a shame that Storm went home but personally I think she would be better off not being the front woman for SuperNova. Now that we are at the end, I think Toby is the best suited to front this band. I also think that Magni and Storm should at least be given recording contracts as it is evident that they both possess a lot of talent. Funny how the show hyped up both Dilana and Lukas, but those two are my least favorite now.

Here is a news item:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/Judge Sides With Original SUPERNOVA In 'Rock Star' Suit - Sep. 12, 2006 MTV.com reports that the producers of CBS' "Rock Star" are going to have to come up with an alternate name for SUPERNOVA, the band made up of MÖTLEY CRÜE's Tommy Lee, VOIVOD's Jason Newsted and former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke, according to a Tuesday (September 12) ruling by San Diego Judge John Houston.

Last month, the original SUPERNOVA — an Orange County, California, punk trio — filed for a preliminary injunction in San Diego's U.S. District Court against CBS Broadcasting, Mark Burnett Productions and Lee, Newsted and Clarke, who are starring in the second season of the reality show. The injunction sought to halt the television-contrived act from performing or recording under the name "SUPERNOVA" if the band fails to change or add any words to the moniker.

Lee, Newsted and Clarke were dropped as defendants late last month at the request of the original SUPERNOVA's lawyers.

Earlier Tuesday, Houston granted the request from the members of the original SUPERNOVA — bassist Art Mitchell, drummer Dave Collins and guitarist Jodey Lawrence — for the preliminary injunction. The injunction keeps the producers of "Rock Star: Supernova" — which concludes Wednesday night — from "performing rock and roll music, or recording, or selling rock and roll music recordings under the same [name], pending a trial of this action on its merits, or until otherwise ordered by the court."

Read more at MTV.com.

Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=58317

imo they were too harsh on magni, he did a great cover. Dilena stepped it up. Toby was very solid again. Luckas did very well as well. I think it is going to come down to lukas and toby.

[quote name='DJ K8E']So how is tomorrow's episode going to go? I'm confused. I must've missed where they explained it all.[/QUOTE]
What I got from it is that the bottom two duke it out, one will leave, then the bottom three will perform and the winner will be decided.

I kinda agree with Tommy Lee: Magni's original tune was my least favorite. Its not a bad song but it wasn't memorable. Funny thing though, his cover song of Deep Purple Hush was awesome. I'm a huge Deep Purple fan and I loved his rendition.

Its obvious that the band will not be called Supernova anymore (see my prior post). I wonder what will they call themselves........

Anyways, I'm kinda glad the show is over soon. I was starting to feel it was getting long in tooth.

[quote name='Xevious']I kinda agree with Tommy Lee: Magni's original tune was my least favorite. Its not a bad song but it wasn't memorable. Funny thing though, his cover song of Deep Purple Hush was awesome. I'm a huge Deep Purple fan and I loved his rendition.

Its obvious that the band will not be called Supernova anymore (see my prior post). I wonder what will they call themselves........

Anyways, I'm kinda glad the show is over soon. I was starting to feel it was getting long in tooth.[/QUOTE]
I know I pretty much stopped caring once Storm left, but I still want to see how it plays out. Everyone has proven themselves so talented, even moreso than last year's batch IMHO. The top 5-7 will all have records out by the time "The band formerly known as Supernova" goes on tour.

I can see Storm hooking up with Dave Navarro in the future. I don't see much of a future for his current band, The Panic Channel. They were slaughtered in the reviews and I read some groans on the online forums.

storm was on ellen the other day. The band was the backup band on the show. My wife dvr's ellen, and I saw it when I walked by her.

bread's done
Back