anyone get Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana yet??

[quote name='cthcky33']just wondering if this game is looking good or not. im debating whether or not to get it[/QUOTE]

I'm picking it up tomorrow after work and playing it in the evening. I'll post here on how it is.

It looks charming and the insiders at etoychest seem to approve of it.

www.etoychest.org i believe it is.

Also - most stores are getting it tomorrow. (WED. 29th)

Let us know if its good or not. I'm kinda interested in this game but not sure if I should wait for a price drop.

[quote name='cthcky33']i will definately pick it up if gamerush gets it in, so i can use store credit on it[/QUOTE]

Don't count on Gamerush getting it... they usually skip most small titles like this. They haven't gotten any Atlus or Nippon Ichi stuff before, IIRC.

I forgot I had this on preorder at Gamestop... I *really* don't want to spend the $45 dollars to get this, but I know the employee personally who slipped me the last bonus cd when I preordered it late. Plus I know they'll probably get 2 copies and if I pass, I'll lose out.

Well, I'll get and play it tommorrow, it looks great, it's just tough spending rock bottom prices on good games these last 2-3 weeks to come back and pay full price for one.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']I'm really enjoying it so far. Finally a real RPG to play. It's actually pretty funny too - would expect no less of Atlus.[/QUOTE]

That's great except that it's not Atlus' game...

So far every review I've read have mentioned the gorgeous 2d graphics and the solid gameplay system, and how it feels like an older RPG. Then they go on to state how it dosen't do anything new or innovative, but what it does it does great.

Gamespy gave it a 70%, but the reviewer seemed to have REALLY loved it. I'm a bit confused at the low score, but here's the final comments -

[quote name='Gamespy']

This is a game that, if you have the time in between the dozens of other stellar RPGs on the PS2, you will most likely enjoy. If you've been longing for a new Lunar or other old-school 2D RPG franchise to be revitalized for the PS2, then you most definitely should be giving Atelier Iris a look. It's a surprisingly solid package, and deeper than it looks on first or second glance.

[/quote]

They also mention how the battle system is alot like FFX, and that gets a HUGE thumbs up from me.

My gf is getting my preorder after she gets off work since she works down the street from Gamestop, so I won't know how it is first hand until then.

Will best buy carry this? Ive got a $10 reward zone coupon plus the $5 off any PS2 game. I was gonna get Destroy All Humans but it got less than amazing scores so I'll just wait for a price drop for now. This game has been getting good scores and I would to pick it up.

EDIT: Its not on their website.

[quote name='madmage']Will best buy carry this? Ive got a $10 reward zone coupon plus the $5 off any PS2 game. I was gonna get Destroy All Humans but it got less than amazing scores so I'll just wait for a price drop for now. This game has been getting good scores and I would to pick it up.

EDIT: Its not on their website.[/QUOTE]

If it's not on their website, then they usually won't have it.

i got it this morning and im about 2 hours in. it seems like a good game, tho it starts off kinda slow and boring. i think once it gets into more combat it will be fun. not the best voice acting in the world, but its bearable

Game Informer liked the game a lot. They basically said it's a great old school style Japanese RPG. Said it had a great sense of humor, and that lovers of the good 'ol JRPG will really appreciate it. I think they gave it like an 8/10, or 8.5/10.

Looks good to me, worth around $30.

[quote name='Aleryn']Game Informer liked the game a lot. They basically said it's a great old school style Japanese RPG. Said it had a great sense of humor, and that lovers of the good 'ol JRPG will really appreciate it. I think they gave it like an 8/10, or 8.5/10.

Looks good to me, worth around $30.[/QUOTE]

i probably shouldnt have dropped $50 on it, but the cool looking graphics sucked me in

[quote name='cthcky33']i got it this morning and im about 2 hours in. it seems like a good game, tho it starts off kinda slow and boring. i think once it gets into more combat it will be fun. not the best voice acting in the world, but its bearable[/QUOTE]

Any option to turn the voice acting off?

The more I think about it, the more I feel ok paying $50 for it, because I haven't played a good old school RPG in a long time.

I traded a few older games to BREgames.com to preorder it from them a month ago. They are yet to send me a DC. GRRRR If I didn't get such a great deal from them I would be pissed... OK I'm a tad irate.

Update:
After Emailing BRE they sent me this Email.
We will ship all pre-orders for this item as soon as our shipment arrives from our distributor. We hope to have it by the beginning of next week.

Thank you,

BRE Software

I will be lucky to have it by next Friday :cry: :bomb: :cry:

I pre ordered mine from NIS and tracking says it won't be here until after the 4th of July. doh! I was looking forward to playing it this weekend.

2 1/2 hours into it and here's my take.

Graphics are colorful and beatiful. Really takes me back to the 2d era effectively. The music is another plus. It is very reminiscent of Lunar and sometimes chrono trigger - mostly lunar though.

Story-wise it has gathered my attention. The characters are easy to love initially and there is plenty of mystery to be had since they do not explain everything off the bat.

The voice acting in my opinion is great. You have an option of having the english or japanese voices and although the voices cut out at RARE moments - it still doesn't hinder the game that much. The voice acting is at or above Tales of Symphonia's level (which IMO was pretty good).

Gameplay is very traditional. Attack attacks, defend defends. You can synthesize attack items out of ingredients you pick up through out the world which is really nice. Every character has designated spells that they learn after leveling up a bit and after you obtain a skill - you can then make it stronger by investing skill points into it ala final fantasy tactics. I'm already enjoying this more than I did Baten Kaitos and Shadow Hearts.

The character's are humorous but I am waiting for the storyline to get a little more serious. The game is VERY linear so far - but I expect sidequests to show up later on in the game.

Overall - the experience is at least an 8.5 and imo - the game is worth the 50 dollars I dished out. For those of you wary of the game - it is worth at least a 30-40 dollar purchase. If you love RPG's and want something enjoyable to play - pick this up. The battle system is relatively simple but it really does kick the ass of a lot of RPG's I've been playing lately (ughh I need to get shadow hearts out of my head...so bad).

If you guys want videos of anything - request it and I can upload them on to you send it after recording with my camera.

the voices arent that bad i guess. but i definately hope the story gets a little more serious, its all way too cheery right now

I was gonna get it today, but there are no stores around me that had it. I think I am just gonna have to order it. I was reading over the posts that you guys left and it seems like a really good game. Cant wait to get it!

[quote name='cthcky33']the voices arent that bad i guess. but i definately hope the story gets a little more serious, its all way too cheery right now[/QUOTE]

Yeah - same here - while I do find the jokes/comic humor entertaining - I am hoping that it gets to be a little more serious. I have a feeling it will judging from how the game started (somewhat sober and more tense).

Also - I don't think the voices suck in delivery - but some of them are definatey weird. Popo for instance...I'll probably want to slit his throat like that stupid Gnarl from lunar. Or whatever the flying cat thing's name was.

I want this game but I am currently playing:

Growlanser 2
Half-Life 2
Counter Strike Source
PSO:Blue Burst
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Dungeon and Dragons Heroes

[quote name='the3rdkey']I want this game but I am currently playing:

Growlanser 2
Half-Life 2
Counter Strike Source
PSO:Blue Burst
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Dungeon and Dragons Heroes[/QUOTE]

Half life 2 = beaten today
Source = an hour here or there after some real game playing.
Growlanser 2 - ehhh that can wait
PSO = same as growlanser
Hot Shots = See source
Kirby = at work
Dungeons and Dragons = with friends.

Where is atelier in this equation?

It replaces half life 2 once it has been beaten.

[quote name='karsh']I only have one thing to say after playing some of this game yesterday......

"BARRELS!";)[/QUOTE]

lol yeah...B - B - B - Barrel!

I'll be taking some movies/pictures tomorrow of the game to help convince those on the fence.

[quote name='Roufuss']Any option to turn the voice acting off?

The more I think about it, the more I feel ok paying $50 for it, because I haven't played a good old school RPG in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Yes - you can turn it off, but the voice acting is on par and better than say...dubbed anime.

I'm running it through S-Video, and the towns / overworld have a sort of grainy feel to them, and there's a slight pause between hitting the square button and having him actually turn something into elements. Not gamebreaking by any means, just annoying.

Battle scenes are nice and crisp though, and just exploring the game is really fun. The game is really colorful too, which is a nice change.

I tihnk an 8.5 is an accurate score.

Picked AI up yesterday along with Riviera. Thanks to the EB N64 and PS deals and with the BB $5 off coupons, I picked up both of those games for $7 total.

[quote name='Roufuss']I'm running it through S-Video, and the towns / overworld have a sort of grainy feel to them, and there's a slight pause between hitting the square button and having him actually turn something into elements. Not gamebreaking by any means, just annoying.

Battle scenes are nice and crisp though, and just exploring the game is really fun. The game is really colorful too, which is a nice change.

I tihnk an 8.5 is an accurate score.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hate that skipping too. I feel it running around sometimes - and a lot with his wand. Somewhat annoying but it doesn't hurt anything.

So far the story is getting interesting. Right now I'm at...

Proto Forest. Gotta get my book back. I think the story between Arlin and Mull will be interesting as well. Lita has a secret as well.

So while it's bright and cheery now - I can see it getting relatively serious in the future.

BARRELS!!

i dont really understand why it says that, and why it flashes to a different character each time... but it makes me laugh cuz its completely random

I still have to go pick up my preorder, but I'll probably just cancel it because I know they won't have the soundtrack. It's the only reason I even put money down on it, and then the manager says, "Oh, we never get any of that stuff until the game arrives." When I get there today, the same clown will say, "Those? We ran out of those weeks ago."

[quote name='JEKKI']dude,

the Golden Pigs.

by far one of the HARDEST optional bosses ever

I was game tester for this game ^_^v[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. How'd you get the job and what'd you think of the game? Impressionable?

Man, I'm 2:30 in and at Lake Forwel... and this game just seems boring.

I'm hoping it will pick up, but the story, while humorous, isn't doing anything for me. I usually give RPG's up to the five hour mark to really impress me, so I'm hoping this one starts picking up steam. It has alot of potential goodness but it is moving so slow.

Taking this from the Gamespy review:

The game's turn system also offers up chances to interrupt monster attacks and get extra ones of your own.

I've yet to figure out how to do that, or even see the order of turns. It just seems like I attack, the enemy attacks, I attack.

I'm hoping a few more hours in will really unlock everything this game has to offer.

[quote name='defiance_17']I just got my copy, but I noticed it doesn't have the security label or whatever on the top. Is everyone's copy like this?[/QUOTE]

mine didnt have it either

[quote name='defiance_17']I just got my copy, but I noticed it doesn't have the security label or whatever on the top. Is everyone's copy like this?[/QUOTE]

It's standard now, many of my new games didn't come with it.

Game is defenetely challanging. One of the bosses just handed me my ass on a platter. Guess i gotta level up some more.. i'm about 10 hours in and the game is a lot more then I thought it would be.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Game is defenetely challanging. One of the bosses just handed me my ass on a platter. Guess i gotta level up some more.. i'm about 10 hours in and the game is a lot more then I thought it would be.[/QUOTE]

This is what I heard as well.

Went to GameFAQ's to see if the game gets harder / more serious / more involving and it seems that once you hit that 5-6 hour mark it really picks up.

Beat him on my second try.

Interupting a 2 round skill is essential in most boss battles. They can string 2 attacks at once if you don't.

I don't this this game will be as long as I thought though. We'll see.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']
I don't this this game will be as long as I thought though. We'll see.[/QUOTE]

I've heard 40-60 hours if you do all the sidequests and optional dungeons.

8 Hours into it and I'm really liking where the story is headed. I'm beginning to think it will be tragic though. Hope no one dies :eek:.

Right now I am...

Raiding the fort with Pilke so we can figure out that riddle.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Beat him on my second try.

Interupting a 2 round skill is essential in most boss battles. They can string 2 attacks at once if you don't.

I don't this this game will be as long as I thought though. We'll see.[/QUOTE]

If you think Avenberry is the end...it isn't.

bread's done
Back