anyone got GTA: San Andreas yet? GTA:SA discussion thread!

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='Indonesia']how is the loading time?[/quote]

Entering buildings is about the same as in the previous GTA games or less - usually less. Cut scene loads can be a lot longer.[/quote]

I just picked mine up at Best Buy (VA Beach, Independence Blvd). I'm loading it on my HD via HDLoader right now. Hopefully that will cut down the loading times significantly.

im interested to see if it cuts down on that significantly. the way it cut down the loading from the first two games was worth the price of the loader itself.

[quote name='cyberlian']best game ever!, I've already beefed up in the weight room and started puting some weight on at the pizza parlor..I did encounter on of the empty space gliches that was similar to the "blue hells" that were in GTA 3... I was hopping around on a bike and I somehow fell under the bridge and suspended in the air... I could ride to either side of the bridge but couldn't get back above the pavement or fall down to the level below... I was helplessly stuck... good thing I'm a frequent saver...[/quote]

Sounds like The Sims with guns......I might wait for this one.

[quote name='Ledhed']Some reviews have noted that the age of your PS2 can make for a large variable in terms of lag and slowdown.[/quote]

I bought my new PS2 last January, and it was the newer model and not the 390001 one. That is why I'm concerned about slowdown.

[quote name='manofpeace20'][quote name='Ledhed']Some reviews have noted that the age of your PS2 can make for a large variable in terms of lag and slowdown.[/quote]

I bought my new PS2 last January, and it was the newer model and not the 390001 one. That is why I'm concerned about slowdown.[/quote]

Heh, I have the PS2 from launch day and I haven't really noticed any slowdown yet, but i have yet to really do anything other than ride my BMX bike around.

I've had a few more occasions of lag, but I have come to the conclusion that it is because of the lighting or weather effects. I have had a ton of peds and cars on the screen at the same time and no lag, but as soon as a sunset hits or fog or rain it starts to lag. I wish I could turn those effects down or off.

[quote name='jalu6']im interested to see if it cuts down on that significantly. the way it cut down the loading from the first two games was worth the price of the loader itself.[/quote]

Well so far it doesn't seem to cut the load times down too much and it seems like the FMVs are jittering a little bit when run from the HD. I noticed the same thing on FFX so it may be my drive.

I've actually gone back to the disc to play for now.

[quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='jalu6']im interested to see if it cuts down on that significantly. the way it cut down the loading from the first two games was worth the price of the loader itself.[/quote]

Well so far it doesn't seem to cut the load times down too much and it seems like the FMVs are jittering a little bit when run from the HD. I noticed the same thing on FFX so it may be my drive.

I've actually gone back to the disc to play for now.[/quote]

hmm..thanks for the update. at least it installs. ill try it out on mine and see what happens.

I have a new PSTwo and the load times aren't too bad...but I took the game to a friend's house who has an older model and the slowdown was VERY noticeable and the load times were longer. Just a heads up that there is definitely a difference.

GAMERUSH HAS THEIR COPIES AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP TODAY!

About damn time they start getting games on the actual release date and not their "release date".

I got mine at Toys R Us with Shin Megami Tensei and Fatal Frame II... I have never bought a GTA game before, but I figured I'd give this game a fair shot.

I just happed to stop into GameRush this morning to trade in some DVD's and the guy said "Here's your Grant Theft Auto game..."

"Cool," I said and went home and proceeded to play it. I honestly didn't know it was release day.

I played for an hour or so and so far all I can say is it's the same old, same old. Bigger maps, slightly better texture mapping, and more F-words that even I usually use in daily conversation. Other than the forementioned, it's exactly the same game, glitches and all.

I loved GTA3, it was innovative and new. This game, so far, isn't holding my interest for very long. I could actually play GTA3 with my son and do the taxicab and ambulance missions without much fear of anything obscene happening but I certainlly wouldn't let my son within 20 feet of this game until he's a teenager at least. They've set a new standard for vulgarity. I think the only reason for me to keep it is my anal-retentive compulsion to collect and have the complete GTA set on my shelf. I may still trade it in now for credit and buy it back next year for $20.

Wow. I got this game from Circuit City tonight. First I went to EB games, my least favorite store, and they were all out. The guys like "You should have reserved it". So I drive to CC knowing they'll have it and they did. This game is sweet. It is so much bigger than Vice City. And the bikes are actually really fun. They use "select" word's very often, almost to the point of excess. The cars are ok. The city at night is kind of hard to see. And the people in the restaurants are lol funny. This game is better than Vice City.... worth $50!

I picked it up today at gamerush, along with a new logitech wireless controller. I didn't want to wait for my copy to ship from mtv. I guess when that one arrives I'll have to put it up for sale.

i was at school today, and decided i'd drop by gamestop during my study hall.. so i go into gamestop and ask if they have the game and the guy's like... did you reserve it? and i said no.. and the woman was like.. i just counted and we have 1 extra copy that we can sell to somebody who hasnt pre-ordered.. and i was like.. score!

i really like this game... at first i didnt like it. i was just driving around goofing off like i usually do for the first hour or two when i get a GTA game, and i just kept getting killed and arrested for no reason. but when i started playing the missions, i really got into it.

i must say i hate the bicycle though. IMO the bicycle is shitty. i was doing the mission where you follow your fellow gang members on bicycle, and i accidentally drove into one of those empty pool type things that you ride in... only prob was i couldnt really move... i could gain a little bit of spead, ride up the side of one wall... get about halfway up and it would just stop and slooowly back down the wall... it got reeeeally annoying.

[quote name='Graystone']who else is dispointed I cant drive more then 50 feet before it loads again and again, this game is unplayable.[/quote]

I thought the game streamed all the data in a way that there weren't any loading times except when moving between outdoor and indoor areas.

im just dissapointed it looks so ugly...jesus it hurts my eyes and the constant loading is kinda annoying....cant wait for x or pc version though...

[quote name='rapsodist'][quote name='Graystone']who else is dispointed I cant drive more then 50 feet before it loads again and again, this game is unplayable.[/quote]

I thought the game streamed all the data in a way that there weren't any loading times except when moving between outdoor and indoor areas.[/quote]

That's exactly what is supposed to happen. Me thinks Graystone's PS2 may be on the fritz.

[quote name='Cracka']
i must say i hate the bicycle though. IMO the bicycle is shitty. i was doing the mission where you follow your fellow gang members on bicycle, and i accidentally drove into one of those empty pool type things that you ride in... only prob was i couldnt really move... i could gain a little bit of spead, ride up the side of one wall... get about halfway up and it would just stop and slooowly back down the wall... it got reeeeally annoying.[/quote]

I did the same thing, you just have to sprint out of it, rapidly hit the pedal button and you will just be fine.

[quote name='graystone']
who else is dispointed I cant drive more then 50 feet before it loads again and again, this game is unplayable.[/quote]

My advise on this to you and everyone who has this problem, is to jump on the EB console trade in deal (ends at the end of the month), I played the game for 4 hours yesterday on my new PS2 (from the previosuly mentioned deal) and the only load times I have experienced is going into buildings and starting missions. I have had no load times when just riding around and I have driven all over the place.

[quote name='Othergods'][quote name='Cracka']
i must say i hate the bicycle though. IMO the bicycle is shitty. i was doing the mission where you follow your fellow gang members on bicycle, and i accidentally drove into one of those empty pool type things that you ride in... only prob was i couldnt really move... i could gain a little bit of spead, ride up the side of one wall... get about halfway up and it would just stop and slooowly back down the wall... it got reeeeally annoying.[/quote]

I did the same thing, you just have to sprint out of it, rapidly hit the pedal button and you will just be fine.

[quote name='graystone']
who else is dispointed I cant drive more then 50 feet before it loads again and again, this game is unplayable.[/quote]

My advise on this to you and everyone who has this problem, is to jump on the EB console trade in deal (ends at the end of the month), I played the game for 4 hours yesterday on my new PS2 (from the previosuly mentioned deal) and the only load times I have experienced is going into buildings and starting missions. I have had no load times when just riding around and I have driven all over the place.[/quote]

I have a PS2 from launch, as old as you can get, and the game never loads unless I'm going inside. If it keeps "loading" again and again, you've got a problem with your hardware.

That being said, this game is pretty ugly. Typically if a game is fun, I could care less about the graphics but this game actually takes a step back from Vice City, IMO. I'm still having fun with it, though. There are a ton of things to do and Los Santos alone is huge. I haven't even "ungreyed" the entire city yet.

The game is not ugly, it's just that you whores can't accept anything less than D3 graphics, which really says something about your lack of understanding about what makes a game good. How did you kids ever put up with games 2 years ago. :roll:

Secondly, there are no load times on the map. So if the game is somehow, buy some miracle loading while you are driving around there is a serious problem with your system.

Thirdly, if you don't know how to properly drive a vehicle don't blame the vehicle and call it shit. Not to mention you have to get your skills for said vehicle up so you can control it better - yes you have driving stats now.

[quote name='Scrubking']The game is not ugly, it's just that you whores can't accept anything less than D3 graphics, which really says something about your lack of understanding about what makes a game good. How did you kids ever put up with games 2 years ago. :roll:[/quote]

LOL. It's funny being called "kid" considering that I've been playing console games for over 20 years now. So yeah, I know a thing or two about games being fun without having great graphics. I believe the last part of my post said that I am having fun playing it, which I am.

That being said, I expect the sequel of a game to at least have the same quality graphics or better and this is not the case. The quality has actually gone down since Vice City, IMO.

[quote name='bmulligan']I played for an hour or so and so far all I can say is it's the same old, same old. Bigger maps, slightly better texture mapping, and more F-words that even I usually use in daily conversation. Other than the forementioned, it's exactly the same game, glitches and all.
[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh man that was one funny joke, same old?

Play for more than 5 min, and then try telling me that.

[quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='Scrubking']The game is not ugly, it's just that you whores can't accept anything less than D3 graphics, which really says something about your lack of understanding about what makes a game good. How did you kids ever put up with games 2 years ago. :roll:[/quote]

LOL. It's funny being called "kid" considering that I've been playing console games for over 20 years now. So yeah, I know a thing or two about games being fun without having great graphics. I believe the last part of my post said that I am having fun playing it, which I am.

That being said, I expect the sequel of a game to at least have the same quality graphics or better and this is not the case. The quality has actually gone down since Vice City, IMO.[/quote]

Down? naaaw, it's just your vision starting to go, old eyes, just ain't what they used to be :)

Seriously though, go play VC on XBOX, then play SA, and you'll feel silly for ever typing up that post.

Trying to tell me that SA is ugly is like trying to explain why 2+2=5, no matter how you explain it, you'll come off looking like an idiot.

[quote name='-Never4ever-'][quote name='lebowsky'][quote name='Scrubking']The game is not ugly, it's just that you whores can't accept anything less than D3 graphics, which really says something about your lack of understanding about what makes a game good. How did you kids ever put up with games 2 years ago. :roll:[/quote]

That being said, I expect the sequel of a game to at least have the same quality graphics or better and this is not the case. The quality has actually gone down since Vice City, IMO.[/quote]

Down? naaaw, it's just your vision starting to go, old eyes, just ain't what they used to be :)

Seriously though, go play VC on XBOX, then play SA, and you'll feel silly for ever typing up that post.

Trying to tell me that SA is ugly is like trying to explain why 2+2=5, no matter how you explain it, you'll come off looking like an idiot.[/quote]

Well it could be the framerate on my PS2. The Gamespot review mentioned that the stuttering and framerate vary depending on how old your hardware is. I have the PS2 from launch so maybe that has something to do with it.

Or maybe it's because I'm starting to play this after coming off Burnout 3.

Mostly I think it's because it's ugly :wink:

[quote name='Ledhed'] Me thinks Graystone's PS2 may be on the fritz.[/quote]

I know how to fix ps2's mine can't be broke, but nonetheless it could be my ps2. when I am playing, the game locks up for long periods of time and sometimes it say cannot read the grand theft auto san anderas disc. or everything will disapear arouind me and I will be driving and start floating around.

my friend told me about the tapping "x" button while riding the bike, and it made the bike alot cooler.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, time period set in the early 1990's?...[/quote]

No, 1890's. It was a wild time in American history.

[quote name='bmulligan']I don't get some of you bitching about the graphics, I think the texture maps are MUCH better than Vice City.[/quote]

I'm getting used to it the more I play it. I don't think it's the graphics as much as getting really bad framerates while driving around. It seems to happen during the day when there are a lot of cars on the road and the sun effects are being used.

When I'm driving around at night, it seems a whole lot smoother.

[quote name='bmulligan']I don't get some of you bitching about the graphics, I think the texture maps are MUCH better than Vice City.[/quote]

The pop up and slow down is worse.

Oh yeah, I got it yesterday. :D I'm really liking the bike, I at first didn't like it (similar experience like Cracka, heh) but yeah, it gets a lot better. I also love to swim but it won't let me dive very far no matter how far into the ocean I go. Oh well, all the little touches (especially the clothes customization and the gym) are really very nice. I'm loving this game more then the first two so yeah.

i broke down today and got it as well. At first the graphics were a distraction and i noticed a tad bit of waver in the background during cinemas. I have had no slowdown and only glitched a few times. I have a brand new redesigned PS2 so that probably helps overall i really like the game and I think it was well worth the money. Hopefully I can beat it before Halo 2 comes out

Got it earlier today and played it for 4 hours straight! Loved the fact that there's ton more to do than the previous two games combined. Arcade games, pool, and the console in CJ's house are all fun. I love the clothing customization as I had CJ running around in his underwear for a while. I like the variety in weapons, dozen rozes, knives, pool cues, and the various guns are cool. I like the fact that police go after gang members if they shoot at you. Lots of stuff to do, I believe the 150 hour figure to be accurate.

yeah, i went about 7 hours. Also Crash i have dsl and your sig causes my cursor to blink and everkything else. Just to let you know. It causes a lot of lag for me every time i go into a room with your post.

Gamerankings has enough scores now to rank GTA:SA... and its average of 97.4% places it as the second greatest game of all time. Only Ocarina of Time is scored higher.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']yeah, i went about 7 hours. Also Crash i have dsl and your sig causes my cursor to blink and everkything else. Just to let you know. It causes a lot of lag for me every time i go into a room with your post.[/quote]

Hmmm, I don't know why it would, haven't heard that from anyone.

Anyways, the only problem I'm having so far is some wierd "error reading the GTA:SA game disc" messages that don't seem to really to affect anything but interfere with gameplay for a few seconds at a time. My PS2 isn't that old, just got it in August and can't get the PStwo because of FFXI.

[quote name='Chris Dillon']yeah, i went about 7 hours. Also Crash i have dsl and your sig causes my cursor to blink and everkything else. Just to let you know. It causes a lot of lag for me every time i go into a room with your post.[/quote]

It isn't the internet connection, it is the ram if I understand things properly. It happens on my computer at work (which is shitty, but has a T1), but doesn't happen on my home computer (which has a cable modem, but is pretty sweet).

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']Got it earlier today and played it for 4 hours straight! Loved the fact that there's ton more to do than the previous two games combined. Arcade games, pool, and the console in CJ's house are all fun. I love the clothing customization as I had CJ running around in his underwear for a while. I like the variety in weapons, dozen rozes, knives, pool cues, and the various guns are cool. I like the fact that police go after gang members if they shoot at you. Lots of stuff to do, I believe the 150 hour figure to be accurate.[/quote]

I completely agree. This game is just overwhelmingly charming in all its 90's glory. The 2pac music blaring on the radio is just wonderful, and I absolutely adore the additions of the countryside. It's just amazing that you can go into shabby old shacks with fields all around you, and this growing sense of fear that a homicidal maniac might come charging through the bushes or the house if you stay for too long. :D

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']Got it earlier today and played it for 4 hours straight! Loved the fact that there's ton more to do than the previous two games combined. Arcade games, pool, and the console in CJ's house are all fun. I love the clothing customization as I had CJ running around in his underwear for a while. I like the variety in weapons, dozen rozes, knives, pool cues, and the various guns are cool. I like the fact that police go after gang members if they shoot at you. Lots of stuff to do, I believe the 150 hour figure to be accurate.[/quote]

I completely agree. This game is just overwhelmingly charming in all its 90's glory. The 2pac music blaring on the radio is just wonderful, and I absolutely adore the additions of the countryside. It's just amazing that you can go into shabby old shacks with fields all around you, and this growing sense of fear that a homicidal maniac might come charging through the bushes or the house if you stay for too long. :D[/quote]

Yeah, I like how you don't see the same types of people in the countryside as you would in the city. The cops in the city look different then the cops in the countryside. Seeing different car types in both parts is great, too. The fact that people on the highway don't stop for anything is cool, since you can create pile-ups by stopping in front of these cars.

bread's done
Back