Anyone importing Pokemon Diamond?

Renegade_Zero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I saw on PlayAsia it's gonna be available on Tuesday. Wondering how easy it would be to play for someone who has no knowledge whatsoever of japanese.
Has anyone ever imported a Pokemon Game before? Will it generally be pretty easy and straightforward to figure it out?

[quote name='Pijaibros']Why are you importing a title that's going to arrive here anyway?[/quote]

So I don't have to wait to play it. I'd still plan on picking it up when it comes out here.

if its anything like the old pokemon games then its gonna be damn near impossible to play without knowing japanese. everything was in japanese in the old ones. i would suggest downloading some of the old ones in japanese from romhustler.net or somewhere to try it out and see if you can handle all that japanese. im waiting myself.

I played gold/sliver in Japanese when it first came out without knowning japanese. Since I am already familar with the basic gameplay, I didnt have too much trouble at all and got to the final boss. Unless they make some major changes it shouldnt be too hard to figure things out.

If you have played the American versions of the games, then these shouldn't be too hard to get the hang of. From the screens, its pretty much the same way as the older versions, with better graphics. I'd still wait for the US versions though.

I thought about getting a DS for this game because a lot of my friends want it. Plus, it might be fun getting it since I played the older verisons like Silver and red/blue. I might of imported it if I had a DS but my Japanese isn't that great yet.

[quote name='Moxio']I'm so damned tempted to.[/quote]

You guys. *shakes head* Just wait. And suffer in nail biting agony.

I just watched a video on IGN and I was damned impressed. Or I should say, the graphics look better (I still want 3D) and the gameplay looks the same but the online trading and battling is what draws me in. I love what Game Freak did with having 50 or 100 level battles, that way there is always a fair playing field. I know back when I was in middle school, when pokemon first came out, there was no shortage of people to battle. I haven't wanted to play a pokemon since Gold and Silver but this may suck me right back in.

I picked it up early on Thursday morning since i'm over here in Japan ^_^.

So far, it is pretty damn good. Everything you aspect from a pokemon game with just a little bit more ^_^

This has inspired me to pick up the GBA Pokemon games, which I've never played. One question for those in the know, will Fire Red/Leaf Green be getting a third version like previous titles in the series. You know, red and blue got yellow, gold and silver got crystal, ruby and sapphire got emerald. Will leaf green and fire red be getting water blue or something? And for that matter, I wonder what the third version or pearl and diamond will be if there is one. Platinum?

[quote name='cjclifford']This has inspired me to pick up the GBA Pokemon games, which I've never played. One question for those in the know, will Fire Red/Leaf Green be getting a third version like previous titles in the series. You know, red and blue got yellow, gold and silver got crystal, ruby and sapphire got emerald. Will leaf green and fire red be getting water blue or something? And for that matter, I wonder what the third version or pearl and diamond will be if there is one. Platinum?[/quote]

Leaf Green and Fire Red are updated versions of Pokemon Red and Blue.

[quote name='Rozz']Leaf Green and Fire Red are updated versions of Pokemon Red and Blue.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I'm well aware of that fact. And yet, that doesn't answer my question. :)

generally the third installments were exceptions made to address specific hardware and game updates. like pokemon yellow included color for gbc, and pokemon emerald was an update to ruby/sapphire to include wireless support for the hoen world. not sure what crystal did, but i tend to think of the "thirds" as exceptions (that happened to end up being quite common)

There is no chance. The third game of the original Red/Blue (or Red/Green in Japan) was Yellow which was put out mainly because of the popularity of Pikachu and the anime series. Also, Nintendo isn't going to spend time or energy marketing and making a game for an essentially dead platform. The next third Pokemon game will be the DS sequel which will add in something wacky like voice chat.

[quote name='banpeikun']generally the third installments were exceptions made to address specific hardware and game updates. like pokemon yellow included color for gbc, and pokemon emerald was an update to ruby/sapphire to include wireless support for the hoen world. not sure what crystal did, but i tend to think of the "thirds" as exceptions (that happened to end up being quite common)[/quote]

IIRC, the crystal version had animated sprites for the pokemon, not just for the actual attacks...but for the pokemon themselves

[quote name='furyk']There is no chance. The third game of the original Red/Blue (or Red/Green in Japan) was Yellow which was put out mainly because of the popularity of Pikachu and the anime series. Also, Nintendo isn't going to spend time or energy marketing and making a game for an essentially dead platform. [/QUOTE]
While I agree that a third game in the Leaf Green/Fire Red series is unlikely at this point considering Pearl/Diamond are right around the corner, I wouldn't exactly call the GBA dead. If it was, why would Nintendo even bother making the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series for DS and GBA?

The only reason I asked if Leaf Green/Fire Red would be getting a third version is because I've been burned on this third version stuff with Pokemon twice. First when I finally got Red and they shortly later released Yellow. Then I got Gold and shortly later they released Crystal. I even waited a while before getting Gold just to see if they'd pull a third version out of the hat like Yellow.

So when it came to Ruby/Sapphire, I never bothered buying a copy because I knew they'd probably release a third better/updated version (plus there was no way to trade Pokemon from the previous games). And sure enough along came Emerald. So, when it came to the Red/Blue remakes Fire Red/Leaf Green, I just assumed they'd eventually release a third better/updated version, likely called Water Blue.

Anyhow, I plan on buying Emerald and either Leaf Green or Fire Red tomorrow. So that's why I wanted to know if there would be a third version released in the Fire Red/Leaf Green series. So, by time Pearl/Diamond are released, I'll have plenty of Pokemon to transfer to that game so I don't have to catch them all over again :)

[quote name='cjclifford']While I agree that a third game in the Leaf Green/Fire Red series is unlikely at this point considering Pearl/Diamond are right around the corner, I wouldn't exactly call the GBA dead. If it was, why would Nintendo even bother making the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series for DS and GBA?

The only reason I asked if Leaf Green/Fire Red would be getting a third version is because I've been burned on this third version stuff with Pokemon twice. First when I finally got Red and they shortly later released Yellow. Then I got Gold and shortly later they released Crystal. I even waited a while before getting Gold just to see if they'd pull a third version out of the hat like Yellow.

So when it came to Ruby/Sapphire, I never bothered buying a copy because I knew they'd probably release a third better/updated version (plus there was no way to trade Pokemon from the previous games). And sure enough along came Emerald. So, when it came to the Red/Blue remakes Fire Red/Leaf Green, I just assumed they'd eventually release a third better/updated version, likely called Water Blue.

Anyhow, I plan on buying Emerald and either Leaf Green or Fire Red tomorrow. So that's why I wanted to know if there would be a third version released in the Fire Red/Leaf Green series. So, by time Pearl/Diamond are released, I'll have plenty of Pokemon to transfer to that game so I don't have to catch them all over again :)[/quote]

Wait until next week on FR/LG. They will both be $15 at CC.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109919

[quote name='cjclifford']Yes, I'm well aware of that fact. And yet, that doesn't answer my question. :)[/quote]

Well it's not like anyone else has any more information than another person here, yet if you use your own judgement you should work out an answer.

I could see them making a third game for Fire Red and Leaf Green for increased connectability between Diamond and Pearl on the DS.

Anyways... here are my poorly written thoughts of Pokemon Diamond, thus far:

Last Thursday, Pokemon Diamond was released to Japan and sold out sometime on Friday. When we were walking around on Saturday, a copy of Pokemon Diamond or Pearl was no where in sight. It’s still as popular as it ever was. ^_^ Japan should gets it’s second wave of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl this coming Friday, so little kids who missed their chance this past weekend will get another chance to pick it up.

The language barrier is rather amazing. Since it’s marketed for little kids, the text is all in either hiragana or katakana. There is no Kanji whatsoever, unless you count the yen kanji. It’s helps me build my reading ability of hiragana and katakana rather well ^_^, though i still don’t have the vocabulary to know what’s going on.

Pokemon Diamond plays just like any other Pokemon though, so finding out where to go and what to do is simply a matter of talking to everyone in the town and then venturing forth to places you haven’t been yet. I suppose later on in the game, this will become more of a problem. Currently though, i’ve been able to get two badges and defeat Team Rocket twice without getting lost or frustrated because of the language.. It’s not like Pokemon has much of a story anyways. I can read about the new cool Pokemon online somewhere if i want the story.

Back to the yen, i always wondered what the currency actually was in the game. When playing Pokemon Emerald, everything was in credits. 100 credits for a Poke-ball, 200 credits for a healing item. I tried to figure out how much that would be in real-life currency. Actually, i think about this quite often. “How much would a Final Fantasy tent cost in real life..” I mean, you make, like, thousands of dollars in the game. It’s not like the idea of going around killing monsters for a living hasn’t crossed my mind before. Anyways, it’s 100 yen for a Pokeball. That’s $1. What a fricken deal. I’d buy tons of those, if there was a Poke-mart nearby. Usually when you beat up some kid in the forest, you win $1 or $2 from him. That’s pretty mean. It’s like stealing milk money from children. I liked my idea before where 1 poke-credit equalled 1/10 of $1. Then a pokeball is $10 and a little bit more reasonable considering the amount of technology built in them.

Anyways…

The graphical style of Pokemon Diamond is quite impressive. They have effectively transferred the 2D graphics into a 3D plane without screwing over any of the individual detail you’d find in previous titles. The 3D plane is evident when you walk around and the foreground actually shifts along with your point of view. It’s a very subtle 3D effect that really looks amazing on the DS.

In battles the graphical style is alot like Pokemon Emerald, with a little bit more of a watercolor backdrop. The pokemon still have little animations when they enter, ala Emerald. This is where the touch screen is actually used. All the battle commands are presented on the touch screen. It’s like Phoenix Wright, where you can either use the the directional pad and select options, or you can just touch the options to select them. It’s pretty slick. I can still play pokemon one-handed!! Whoo hoo… guess who’s driving while playing Pokemon when he returns to the states.

While walking around, you get a little pokemon gadget that keeps tracks on various data on your second screen. It can keep track of your steps, the current time, your pokemon HP, and.. on other thing. It’s really helpful to have that info up front, especially the steps if you’re trying to hatch eggs.

Speaking of time, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl use a real-time system, much like Animal Crossing. When it’s night outside, it’s night in the game. When it’s day outside, it’s day in the game. My game is a little messed up since my DS is on US time, and i don’t really want to change it.

One thing that i’ve also liked about Pokemon Diamond is the Pokemon themselves.. They aren’t stupid looking, or ugly. Most of them are ligitimitly cute. I mean, when you began you have a choice between a leafy turtle, a cute little chilly penguin, or a cute little fire monkey. Awww.. I chose the Chilly Penguin ^_^. The first couple pokemon you face are actually pretty cute too. There’s a cute little bird and a beaver. I picked up a cute little kitty mouse looking thing near the beginning of the game, which has turned out to be pretty slick too. I’ve also been leveling up this Pikachu ripoff.

So anyways, i’ve played for about 9 1/2 hours and have beaten two gyms. I found about 49 pokemon and captured about 29 of ‘em. Well on my way to the new pokemon total of around 500 or something. I probably won’t pick up Diamond or Pearl when they are released in the states, but i’ll pick up the remake that combines the two. Unless, i end up running out of things to play by the time it comes out. :shrugs:

So yeah… Pokemon Diamond is pretty damn slick, i must say. It’s a great pickup for the DS.

[quote name='cjclifford']While I agree that a third game in the Leaf Green/Fire Red series is unlikely at this point considering Pearl/Diamond are right around the corner, I wouldn't exactly call the GBA dead. If it was, why would Nintendo even bother making the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series for DS and GBA?

[/QUOTE]
The GBA version of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was release in Japan last year. Right now sale wise the GBA is a non factor in Japan (but still outselling the X360). The only upcoming games are the 2 FF and there is nothing from nintendo. Currently the GBA is a little more successful in US but it is probably not enough for Nintendo to do something just for the US market.

[quote name='62t']Right now sale wise the GBA is a non factor in Japan (but still outselling the X360). [/QUOTE]
I love the 360, but, wow, that's gotta hurt for Microsoft. Being outsold by "non factor" handheld. Will they ever get things turned around in Japan for the 360?

[quote name='dyreschlock']I picked up a cute little kitty mouse looking thing near the beginning of the game, which has turned out to be pretty slick too. I’ve also been leveling up this Pikachu ripoff.[/QUOTE]
What's up with the Pikachu ripoffs anyway. This is the third Pikachu clone I'm aware of that has the exact same type as Pikachu but has absolutely nothing to do with Pikachu or its evolutions. I see these and I think "Okay, I guess that something Pichu can evolve into instead of Pikachu." But nope, these similarly looking pokemon with identical types are otherwise unrelated. I find this rather odd.

[quote name='Rozz']Well it's not like anyone else has any more information than another person here, yet if you use your own judgement you should work out an answer.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure, by now, Fire Red/Leaf Green won't be getting a third installment like the rest of the Pokemon games did. You're previous comment about how they were remakes of Red/Blue didn't really pertain to my question at all. But, even though I think I know the answer to my own question, that doesn't mean I'm right. And it's entirely possible, in a forum filled with video games fans, that someone here has information I don't. Doesn't hurt to ask :D

bread's done
Back