Anyone on here record and upload gameplay?

rigo707

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I just recently bought an HD Pvr to record my gameplay on my xbox 360 to create montages and walkthroughs, I was wondering if anyone else did this. I'd also be interested in recording peoples gameplay in games like Halo, CoD etc..

I used to back when the ATI All-In-Wonder was the best card out there. I borrowed a copy of Adobe Premiere from my school to edit the videos. Of course, YouTube did not exist yet, and bandwidth wasn't as plentiful, so there were fewer options in which to use the footage. We'd usually just trade clips here and there. We weren't uploading full playthroughs to servers.

There was one site where I downloaded video game clips from. It was called CHV.net and it's gone now.

I used to have a channel on youtube called "The Atlus Endurance Run" which was a challenge to myself to see if I could play through 10 Atlus games without editing any footage. I got completely through Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and halfway through Izuna: The Unemployed Ninja and kind of gave up and started doing PC games and Wii games. lol It was a lot of work. Strange Journey was 80 some-odd hours of uploaded gameplay back when there was the 15 minute limit on videos. I think it was close to 300 parts. Ugh...

Now I have a different channel and mostly do PC stuff. I've been more into streaming because it's a lot less work. The downside is PC stuff is kind of a hassle to stream and my console stuff (PS3 now) looks like garbage due to a non-hd pvr composite source and low bandwidth. I've been thinking about getting an HD PVR, but the benefit would only be good for youtube since my bandwidth is still too low to stream good quality content.

Anyways...It's a lot of fun to get into it and I hope you have a good time with it. It's a good feeling when your channel takes off and starts getting a lot of views. If you can upload videos for a game the same day they come out and tag them properly you can get a lot of views, but I'd suggest not worrying about views as much and just try to have a good time or it will just feel like a job.

My son wants to record Minecraft videos. Any suggestions on the combination of cheapest/best/easiest to use hardware to accomplish this? It would probably have to go into an iMac for editing. I know shipwreck mentioned something on the CAGcast that he used. I'll have to look into that.

1. FRAPS (recording the footage)
2. Windows Movie Maker (editing the footage)
3. Audacity (editing the audio)

though if you're going to buy fraps i'd get dxtory instead.

I have two channels. Aggro Dump (see signature) and TheBrokenCage (see name). I don't really have time to do videos anymore, though. All of the friends that were supposed to help me with the Aggro Dump channel bailed out as soon as they had to do more than talk about doing stuff.

I personally love playing games and editing the videos. I HATE having to talk over them. I'm not a performer, and I don't want to be one.

Here's the only montage I ever put together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQmA8vGboI&feature=plcp

[quote name='io']My son wants to record Minecraft videos. Any suggestions on the combination of cheapest/best/easiest to use hardware to accomplish this? It would probably have to go into an iMac for editing. I know shipwreck mentioned something on the CAGcast that he used. I'll have to look into that.[/QUOTE]
Are you talking 360 or on PC? Consoles have a ton of options and none really cheap that I know of if you want something of quality. For PC, FRAPS all the way. I'd recommend dumping the raw footage to an external drive and not the one you're using to play games as well. That increased performance while recording for me at least.

For editing, I only know of Final Cut on mac that's supposed to be awesome but no idea on price. For PC, WMM works fine for rough cuts but for me I use Vegas Studio which is the watered down version of pro at a fraction of the cost. Really good software for $40 now I think.

Allows you to make quality vids such as. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI2TcgQVi-c

Yeah, sorry for like the 8 month late reply, but I meant from the 360. I got him the Elgato card for his birthday (he contributed $50 towards it from his bday money since it was $160). That was a lot but something he really wanted. I know he is uploading stuff all the time but I really don't know what ;). It is super-slick in terms of HD capture via HDMI from the 360 though. It worked immediately out of the box with no fuss.

I do need to look into movie editing software. I might bite on Final Cut if I can find it cheap enough. iMovie has some issues that I ran into last year when editing an end-of-year video for my daughter's dance team. I almost lost 50+ hours of work because it hung on me and the file wouldn't load any more. After much angst I was able to export it as a single movie but could no longer edit the elements within that portion any more. Fortunately, it was good enough at that point. Then I just stuck additional stuff on to that movie. But I learned from that to make it in small pieces then just edit them together at the end - though I worry about reduction in quality when doing so. I'd rather that iMovie just worked like it was supposed to.

bread's done
Back