Anyone remember Sega Channel?

I most certainly am. I'd probably still be playing it if it was still available. I still have the unit, the cable company never asked for it back.

Yeah, I love emulators, but they don't give you that wonderful feeling that sitting in front of an older console does.

[quote name='spoo']The only bad thing with the Sega Channel was you could not save games :([/quote]

Technically, you could. You just wouldn't be able to play a different game without losing your save. When you chose which game you wanted to play (ex. Phantasy Star), it would download the game through your cable line and store it on the Sega Channel device's memory. As long as the same game stayed on that memory, you wouldn't lose your save. It's how I was able to beat Beyond Oasis.

Sega Channel + Genesis >>>> everything else

I never had it, but my cos did. I remember staying up all night just dreaming about owning it :)

I have no clue what y'all're talking about. But from what I've gathered, it's a service where you download, or rent, games from an online connection to some kind of device specificly meant for the process. Is guess correct?

Pretty much. Its so hard to remember that there are people here that weren't even born, or at least old enough, to even appriciate the SNES/Genesis era.

I used to dream about getting the sega channel. My cheapass mom and dad always said NO. It took 2 years of seeing a shrink to be able to say that. i was very angery with them

It wasnt through internet it was your cable tv provider if im not mistaken...I cant be because cable internet wasnt available then...They still have something like it of sorts...If you go to a "semi nice" hotel they might have a N64 controller and for like 5$ you can play it for an hour...I know its a shitty deal but its sorta the same!

I don't think they ever offered it in my area, I never knew anyone with it. I do remember seeing billboards for it when I went to vegas. The whole idea was awsome, especially when your some kid with like 5 games.

[quote name='karmapolice620']It wasnt through internet it was your cable tv provider if im not mistaken...I cant be because cable internet wasnt available then...They still have something like it of sorts...If you go to a "semi nice" hotel they might have a N64 controller and for like 5$ you can play it for an hour...I know its a shitty deal but its sorta the same![/quote]

When I went to New York last year, they had one of those. It was a pretty crappy deal, my parents didn't let me do it. At least I had my NGPC, I would've brought my GBA SP, but I had lost it a month before the trip. The thing that pissed me off the most was that there was a cyber cafe about two minutes (walking time) from the hotel. I really wanted to go because my computer sucks, so this would be my only chance of playing some awesome PC multiplar games. But my fucking Dad nor Mom would let me go!!!! I was so pissed, my Dad was like, "We didn't come to New York to play video games, do something you can't do at home. But our computer sucks, I can't play games like this at home," I combated. He still didn't understand, damn........

Funny you mention it. I used to work there! It was my second video game testing gig. I am still friends with many of the guys from there. Anyone remember D-Mac and the D-Mac Smack Attack? Good buddy of mine. Ah the memories. Too bad my supervisor was a micromanaging bitch. I quit that job only giving 2 hours notice. Started working for Sony the next day.

[quote name='PapiChullo']I always wanted the Sega Channel when I was younger, but my mother would never let me get it.[/quote]

Same here, I kept asking my parents to subscribe to the Sega Channel when it came out, but they didn't.

I had Sega Channel...and it was AWESOME! I remember I hounded the local cable company for months after I heard about it until they finally got it. That is how I was introduced to the greatness of the Shining Force series...can't wait until the GBA version, and the new one on ps2 next year!

Jesus christ i always envied my neighbor who was lucky enough to have it. It was a bitch to wait for some of those games to download though. Man o man we would play everything from Boogerman to Vectorman,

I must certainly agree:
Sega Channel was the shit.

My parents were too cheap to pay for the Sega Channel too. However, my neighbor's parents were not...so I spent alot of time over at his house playing the Sega Channel.
Download times were a bitch though...we would play games on my SNES while we waited for the games to download...while my neighbor's parents weren't too cheap to pay for the Sega Channel, they refused to buy the SNES. They had issues about there being two gaming systems in the house. So me and my neighbor friend spent time playing each others systems...it was a cheap ass solution that worked!
By the time I was old enough to have a job that paid well enough for me to afford the Sega Channel, it was cancelled in my area. What a bummer.

Sega Channel, such fond memories of it. The internet service for the console systems of this age can't really compared with how cool and innovative the sega channel it was. Sega Channel, where are you now when I want to play all the hard to find expensive games.

Wasn't the Sega Channel the only way to play Mega Man: The Wiley Wars outside of Japan (until the emulation scene came of age)?

God I wanted to play it so bad......

[quote name='Ben_F']Jesus christ i always envied my neighbor who was lucky enough to have it. It was a bitch to wait for some of those games to download though. Man o man we would play everything from Boogerman to Vectorman,

I must certainly agree:
Sega Channel was the shit.[/quote]

Actually, most of the waiting wasn't for the download. Remember these were only 16 Mb games at most. (The receiver unit had that much RAM for cartridge emulation, IIRC.) Even at the relatively slow speeds of analog cable the throughput was much better than a 56K modem.

The biggest problem in making Sega Channel work was the then lack of a return channel on most cable systems. This greatly limited interaction since there was no way to send menu choices back to the head end. The trick they worked out was to instead send everything in a repeating loop interspersed with the current selection menu. Making a selection from the menu didn't tell the head end to start sending that file. It just told your local hardware which file to retain as it passed by in the queue.

Nowadays, doing the same thing as a genuine game-on-demand system would be very simple and the downloads would take only seconds, if 2 and 4 megabyte games were still a big market.

Nothing was better than that feeling of turning on the Sega Channel on the first day of the month to see what new games you had. Further evidence that Sega is the most innovative and best game company around.

I always wanted the Sega Channel, but it never came to our cable system. Of course, our cable system usually sucks at getting new channels. We just got Mtv2 a few months ago, but we've had the fucking Golf Channel for several years now. I'm getting used to saying "Way to go, Cox Cable! You've ass'd up my cable line-up again!" Last time, they got rid of Much Music, which I liked, and gave us The Inspiration Network. I'm hoping that by 2015, we might get The Anime Channel.

[quote name='BlueWingX']I always wanted the Sega Channel, but it never came to our cable system. Of course, our cable system usually sucks at getting new channels. We just got Mtv2 a few months ago, but we've had the shaq-fuing Golf Channel for several years now. I'm getting used to saying "Way to go, Cox Cable! You've ass'd up my cable line-up again!" Last time, they got rid of Much Music, which I liked, and gave us The Inspiration Network. I'm hoping that by 2015, we might get The Anime Channel.[/quote]

Do you have their digital cable? Because i have standard and the selection is shitty as hell. Im thinking bout upgrading.

And yes, they do fuck up my cable modem rather frequently, wheter i bust way over their monthly caps for up/down or not. Long live file-sharing!

[quote name='Ben_F'][quote name='BlueWingX']I always wanted the Sega Channel, but it never came to our cable system. Of course, our cable system usually sucks at getting new channels. We just got Mtv2 a few months ago, but we've had the shaq-fuing Golf Channel for several years now. I'm getting used to saying "Way to go, Cox Cable! You've ass'd up my cable line-up again!" Last time, they got rid of Much Music, which I liked, and gave us The Inspiration Network. I'm hoping that by 2015, we might get The Anime Channel.[/quote]

Do you have their digital cable? Because i have standard and the selection is shitty as hell. Im thinking bout upgrading.

And yes, they do shaq-fu up my cable modem rather frequently, wheter i bust way over their monthly caps for up/down or not. Long live file-sharing![/quote]

Yup, I've got digital. I think it's just that, since their's a majority of old people here in Arizona, we get channels for old people. They begrudgingly give us some channels aimed at younger viewers. There are some good channels in there, but it just seems like the channels I want take forever to show up here. We only got G4 because we already had TechTV. I'm actually thankful for that merger.

Wow, this is an old thread. I felt I had to post here though. I had the Sega Channel from the first month to the last. I played it everyday. I guess I was a Sega fanboy back then. I even paid like 200 bucks for a brand new Sega CD bundle, ha. I played so many great games on Sega Channel. I think Tennis, PGA Golf and Phantasy Star 4 were what I played the most. I might still even have the ziploc back thingy that the cartridge came in around here somewhere with the Sega Channel logo on it. I have some great memories of playing with my friends and cousins on that thing. Gaming has come so far, so has online play, I wish I could go back to playing something so simple.

i remember the plug was in a wall socket that was loose and id always bump it and it would unplug and we needed to call them everytime to turn it back on..... ahh.. the memories...

I remember playing a ton of Vectorman and Izzy and The Secret Rings on there.

I was only like 8 or 9 but those games ruled my world.

Anyone else remember the tournament for the Atlanta Olympics game? Where you had to get the code for your score and call in on the telephone to report it (if I recall that correctly, that is)? Man those were good times, lol

I remember it, I got a Sega Genesis for my birthday and my mom went ahead and ordered it to for me.

I would get up hella early in the morning to check out the new games before school started.

My buddy had it but I didn't. I was jealous indeed. Funny thing is, I have a bunch of coax cable that is blue with the Sega Channel logo on it. Pretty cool stuff.

Ah, Sega Channel... the reason I never actually owned more than 5 Genesis games. It was, no argument, the best add-on/accessory ever. Period.

*sniff* I miss the old Sega.

I forget if this was the same thing but many years ago I worked at the Ronald McDonald House on Christmas Eve making food for people and when I was done I used a very similiar if not the same device to play some games with a few kids there.

I remember it VERY well but I never actually had one. My family had an SNES because my sibling wanted one, when I demanded a Genesis. I remember trying to con my friend who had a Genesis into getting one, that would have ruled.

Speaking of sweet add-ons, who had an X-band?

I had an X-Band for SNES. Mainly played Killer Instinct on it and a little Mario Kart. I beat an X-Band employee during a contest, never sent me a prize!

I'm still waiting, I want my keychain! :D

Theme Park for sega channel. I couldn't stop playing it at a friends house and have never been able to find the game since. I heard it got bought out by maxis and turned into sim theme park, but I don't know

[quote name='agilaroura']Does anyone remember a special Final Fantasy released only through sega channel?[/quote]
You must be thinking of something else cause there was never a Final Fantasy on Sega's end.

Closest I can think of are the three Genesis Phantasy Star titles (PSIV was a Test Drive title). The Shining Force games were also available on The Dungeon (the RPG section at one point, which eventually became Fantasy Land).

There's also Beyond Oasis, which was in Fantasy Land with Phantasy Star III, Sword of Vermillion, Shining Force, Shining Force 2 and Arcus Odyssey.

yes, I remember. I could not stop playing Skitchin' forever. I got it when it first started here in St. Louis. The menus were pretty plain at first but got better. (Missed out on a lot good stuff cause I turned it in when I moved out of my pops place to get on own place)

My brother ended up getting x-band a few months later. That was pretty cool as well.

That is were my brother made up the first silly dis about your momma and the internet to a sore loser.
"Your mother is so nasty, her e-mail address is bitch.com"
You got to remember this was a 1994 and he was 15. LOL
Good times...

bread's done
Back