Anything missing from the Anime Thinkpaks?

Kulock

CAGiversary!
They seem like really good deals, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that you don't get some of the special features of the original releases, and that they were cramming more episodes onto each disc than previously. Is this true, or are you getting the exact same discs as normal?

It depends. The only thinpack I've heard missing features is the Eva Platinum Collection. Other then that, I think they're pretty safe.

I honestly never even watch the special features on any of my anime dvds. I would much rather them put more episodes on each disc. These 3 episode Geneon releases are killing me. :D

All of the recent ADV thinpak collections are missing the extras from their original releases. You heard exactly right. No other company but ADV does this as of now.

What would these extras be? I'm sure they still have the clean opening/closing. Is this just stuff like commentary tracks?

Ive seen anime dvd's include special interviews with cast/creators, making of, deleted scenes, commercials, bonus episodes, etc.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']All of the recent ADV thinpak collections are missing the extras from their original releases. You heard exactly right. No other company but ADV does this as of now.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that. I wonder if extras were cut from the Devil Hunter Yohko Collection because that is the only thinpak I have.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']All of the recent ADV thinpak collections are missing the extras from their original releases. You heard exactly right. No other company but ADV does this as of now.[/QUOTE]Well my little brother will find some comfort in that. He bought all the Final Fantasy Unlimited DVDs, and then he was justifiably pissed when they put that super-cheap thinpack out. I'll let him know that they took all the features out of the thinpack... that should take the edge off a bit.

They're also usually devoid of inserts and reversible covers if the original releases had either of those.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I didn't realize that. I wonder if extras were cut from the Devil Hunter Yohko Collection because that is the only thinpak I have.[/QUOTE]

The Yohko collection's an older release, so I think it pre-dated the extras chopping.

At least I hope so... I have that thinkpak too...

[quote name='eldad9']What would these extras be? I'm sure they still have the clean opening/closing. Is this just stuff like commentary tracks?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the series. Some have behind-the-scenes, Japanese trailers, etc (DN angel comes to mind for those), others just had a clean open/close and some concept art (All but the last volume of Azumanga Daioh.)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']All of the recent ADV thinpak collections are missing the extras from their original releases. You heard exactly right. No other company but ADV does this as of now.[/QUOTE]

Not all of them, but the good majority are, especially anything that was originally over 7 or more discs seems to get the chopping block more.

Aw, darn it. I was hoping not to hear that, but good to know the truth, at least.

So the Original Dirty Pair movie thinpak was probably a bad purchase versus picking up the individual volumes over at Right Stuf on heavy discount... bah. At least I didn't make the jump on some other series I was interested in.

[quote name='Kulock']Aw, darn it. I was hoping not to hear that, but good to know the truth, at least.

So the Original Dirty Pair movie thinpak was probably a bad purchase versus picking up the individual volumes over at Right Stuf on heavy discount... bah. At least I didn't make the jump on some other series I was interested in.[/QUOTE]

I guess I got lucky then because I got Affair of Nolandia, Project Eden, and Flight0005 Conspiracy when Rightstuf was slashing the price. I was debating whether I should have waited for the thinpak.

I recently bought the EVA thinpack collection am I missing much? If I were to buy the platinum DVDs seperate it would cost me abot $140without tax. (Shipping included because most stores around here only have the last volume) even after discounts. So I bought the platinum pack for $52 with tax and shipping.

[quote name='Kulock']Aw, darn it. I was hoping not to hear that, but good to know the truth, at least.

So the Original Dirty Pair movie thinpak was probably a bad purchase versus picking up the individual volumes over at Right Stuf on heavy discount... bah. At least I didn't make the jump on some other series I was interested in.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Check the extras included on the individuals releases. Most likely you won't find very many extras that you'd be dying to have. In general, most anime don't have that many extras.

But if they're also cramming more episodes onto the discs, that means quality probably dipped just a bit.

bread's done
Back