Apple Ditches "Smug Mac Asshole" Ad Campaign

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Or, you know, you could use the laptop like it was intended.[/QUOTE]

Why should I adapt to the laptop? Why not have the laptop work the way that I use it?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Or, you know, you could use the laptop like it was intended.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Plugging it in isn't intended?

I'm actually seriously considering a Macbook. Kind of between that, or a Dell e1705 that can do gaming. The latter has issues though, and aside from gaming I'd rather get the Macbook.

I spent $2300 on my gaming PC w/22" widescreen monitor last November. So I'm not adverse to spending a lot of money on a computer. And I have no beef with Mac's. But Mac's just don't cut it with me because I had this rig built for gaming. And that's something that Mac's just don't do well. And my OS (Windows Media Center) is very stable.

The reason (IMHO) why Apple doesn't promote the Mac's strengths is because Mac's don't have as many as PC's. PC's have many more uses than Mac's and so Apple must tear down PC's instead of promoting the Mac's strengths. Even Apple knows that the Mac is a niche machine. I read that most of Apple's profit comes from the Ipod.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Why be tethered to an outlet if you don't have to be?

You don't have to adapt to anything...you can be as clumsy as you want to be. ;)[/QUOTE]

So what do you propose I do when my battery is running low and I still want to use my laptop?

I really don't see how you can argue that the magnetic power plug is a bad idea.

[quote name='shipwreck']
I really don't see how you can argue that the magnetic power plug is a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

I can't. Is it a reason to buy a Mac? Absolutely not. Is it a stupid idea for a commercial? Absolutely.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I can't. Is it a reason to buy a Mac? Absolutely not. Is it a stupid idea for a commercial? Absolutely.[/QUOTE]

I can't say it's the reason I bought it, but it was definitely a feature that I really liked when I saw them in the stores. It's one of those, "well, hell, why doesn't every laptop come with this" type of things. It's like a cupholder in a car where years ago it was this sudden, "holy crap, it holds my drink while I drive" and now, you couldn't imagine a car without it.

The commercial isn't meant to have people run out and buy macbooks because of the power cord. It's meant to get people talking about the macbooks and see what other neat little features they might have. They are meant to be humorous and over-exagerated and they have the amazing ability to make people talk not only about the commercials, but the products they are selling as well.

They make Mac users feel good and they make potential Mac users intrigued. They are simply excellent commercials.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Steve Jobs being a very innovative person,
[/QUOTE]

I love how pro-Apple folks always cast Steve Jobs as the martyr and Bill Gates as the uber-villian, when its such a total crock. Steve Jobs is an opportunistic salesman who goes for the throat. He always has been, and continues to be. The Apple story is more than just watching Pirates of Silicon Valley. One thing not to forget, Steve Wozniak was the brains behind Apple. Jobs is a salesman.

Remember Apple, the company who refused to license its design to anyone but Apple so they could utterly control pricing....?? which, by the way, doomed the company to always be an Also-ran?

Apple lost the PC war in the mid 1980's when every company in America was buying IBM and clone PC's, when corporations were abandoning Dumb Terminals for their mainframes and embracing the relative cheapness of Client/Server architectures with, you guessed it, PC's.

LONG before Windows. While Jobs was breaking his workers into developing whimsical and fancy interfaces, he neglected cost and he neglected business demands. Doomed. I dont care who innovates, I only care about who brings it to the market the best. Microsoft did that, not Apple.

Therefore.... Apple got the Xerox OS, CREATED what we know as the fully working Graphical OS... and then entrusted Bill Gates to be part of it. Bill then screwed Jobs over and ported a half-assed version.

Right..Apple had a great GUI, Windows 2.0 was terrible.....but 3.0 changed things, and 3.14 pretty much eliminated macs from the running. The only crime here is that Steve Jobs didn't get to price-fix the market and dominate.

If the tables were turned Bill Gates would be the patron saint of PC's and Jobs would be Sindley Whiplash. :p
180px-Villianc.svg.png

But this emotional "Poor Apple" stuff is horseshit...Apple makes a great computer. If you can stomach the software selection for it, they make great products...but stop deifying Apple. They ran the race, and lost it. Lets not continue the vigil for the eternal underdog.

Oh yeah, and if you wanted power and a nice GUI but didn't hjave 3 grand to spend on a Mac in the late 80's, you bought an Amiga.

Today most mac users I know spend more on their clothes than their tech gear.
They all drive Volkswagons. They wear black shiney shoes with really thick soles. They wear scarves. The guys are all deliberately bald. Its like some bizarre cult. "Let me guess, you own a powerbook right?".

They use their macs for hard core purposes like surfing the web, or war-walking, or sniffing out the next free starbucks hotspot.

Granted, their stuff works great...but I agree 10000% percent, their commercials basically paint the picture that Macs are for Elitist fuck Snobs only.

Headrusch I hope you aren't serious because that post was fairly stupid and "fairly" is me being kind.

Success doesn't mean windows is better. I guess by your logic, Britney Spears is one of the greatest singers of all time? First of all, there is room for a lot of different user experience with computers. They don't all have to bottom line. Secondly, Microsoft simply didn't "bring it to market best", they leveraged their success with their database apps to force computer manufacturers to adopt their OS. Obviously, Jobs isn't a saint and has strong armed people (including the consumer) from time to time. But that doesn't negate his vision which has been great at times.

As for your stereotype of the Mac user. Sure, it's a lame message board joke but nowhere near the truth. Maybe you should expand circle of friends more.

and Who cares what people use their computers for anyway. Are you so much more l33t because you use your computer for games? And you call Mac users elitist? You just defined the term buddy. Apple-haters constantly use the term "snob" then put down Mac users for being too dumb to use a real computer. Please.

Personally I used both. I've built many PC (for my work stuff) .I like XP a lot but for personal stuff (like podcasting, music recording, movies editing). I love my Mac.

[quote name='evilmax17']I've seen a bunch of new ads in this series within the past few days, so somebody somewhere was lying.[/quote]

534_1_8d50c743b2.jpg

I don't know how anyone could possibly think Steve Jobs doesn't have vision. Apple was so far ahead they were able to coast without him for 15 years, and has anyone noticed what's happened to the company and it's products since he got back a decade ago?

I agree that the commercials are just great. The best ones I've seen in ages. People who don't like them seem to be Windows fanbois who aren't going to buy a Mac regardless.

[quote name='usickenme']Headrusch I hope you aren't serious because that post was fairly stupid and "fairly" is me being kind.[/QUOTE]

Well to you its fairly stupid, to me its fairly accurate...

Success doesn't mean windows is better.

Nor does it mean that because Mac was first with something, its better.

First of all, there is room for a lot of different user experience with computers.

Before you go off on me, I still own my Apple II+, it still works and yes I've still used it from time to time. I was an Apple person just like everyone else back in the early 80's, but I learned that while the Mac was very good, once software support leant itself to other platforms, thats where I went.

To me, a computer is a thing.....a useless thing without software. Hence, I went where the software went, which is to say..to PC's.

They don't all have to bottom line. Secondly, Microsoft simply didn't "bring it to market best", they leveraged their success with their database apps to force computer manufacturers to adopt their OS.

Before Apple could do the same thing you meant to say right? Because we were all either using macs, or we were all using PC's, or we were all using Amstrads or Commodores or something......Microsoft just got there first.

Obviously, Jobs isn't a saint and has strong armed people (including the consumer) from time to time. But that doesn't negate his vision which has been great at times.

Sure, he's a businessman first and foremost...I just hate people referring to him as Saint and Gates as Sinner........its old, tired, and an incorrect assumption. My arguement is not with Apple or its products, its with the way in which the two heads of the companies are stereotyped.

As for your stereotype of the Mac user. Sure, it's a lame message board joke but nowhere near the truth. Maybe you should expand circle of friends more.

And with all due respect to you, if it wasn't accurate...it wouldnt be funny and nobody would get the joke. We've all run into the guy with the airbook, the guy who treats his mac like a fashion statement. Yes, it was a slanderous messasge board sweeping generalization.........the problem is all too often the stereotype often fits.

and Who cares what people use their computers for anyway. Are you so much more l33t because you use your computer for games? And you call Mac users elitist? You just defined the term buddy. Apple-haters constantly use the term "snob" then put down Mac users for being too dumb to use a real computer. Please.

I haven't been "l33t" since I was on the local BBS's passing 0 day WareZ in 1988.....thats not my point. It was mainly in response to the snub ads this thread was referring to. The apple guy was, basically, a dick...and the PC guy was a bumbling idiot. Fact is, PC's are far more sophisticated than the retarded portrayl theyr'e given in those commercials, just as you say mac users aren't all pretentious hipsters.

Personally I used both. I've built many PC (for my work stuff) .I like XP a lot but for personal stuff (like podcasting, music recording, movies editing). I love my Mac.

I use my PC for movie editing and the software works just fine....I guess if I was a professional Musican or Movie maker, a mac might make a smarter alternative....but I'm not, so I use the tools that work for me, which happens to be 2000/Xp on a windows platform.

I am a strickly PC owner, but I see the benefit of a Mac. If either thinks they are superior then they are wrong.

It is a computer, if you think it makes you better than someone else you've got issues man...

bread's done
Back