Apple Ditches "Smug Mac Asshole" Ad Campaign

Dam I really loved these commercials.

I own a Amazing gaming pc and a macbook pro and I must say both are amazing for what I use each for.

I just don't understand all the tension and bitchyness....towards Justin Long....

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I think hes a very good actor.

I didn't like the commercials because of the smugness of them.

It's like someone telling me that their car is better because it's a BMW and it has a fancy sunroof.

I can't remember a single Apple commercial that isn't Windows bashing. Why don't they just show us the product and tell us what's good about it, rather than tell us how crappy another one is?

I used Mac as a kid, but I use Windows now. And no, it's not hard to use, and doesn't crash or do weird things, opposed to what Apple says. ;)

Naturally as a gamer, Mac OS would be useless to me..

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Actually, a woman at Xerox created the worlds first graphical OS. She was fired for wasting Xerox's money, but then Xerox started a bidding war for the OS.

Now the OS was COMPLETELY barebones. It's like saying the person who created the Steam Powered Locomotive, created the Car. Sure the first car was modeled in the way of a personal steam engine that didnt need tracks... but it wasn't a train by any means. Same thing here, she gave the birth of the design, but she didnt create a windows based graphical OS. If you think that one person could create windows, you're not realizing the amount of work that would require. Apple needed 15-30 people working 40-80 hours a week for 6 weeks before the Mac OS was even near presentable.

Steve Jobs being a very innovative person, saw the potential in it, and was able to test the new graphical OS and assembled his team to start work on it immediatly. He split Apple into two sections, one to work on the new Macintosh, and the other half to keep working on Apple II.

Bill Gates befriended Steve, and Steve being an idiot trusted Bill and his 2 other businessmen. Steve gave Bill 3 working Macs with the graphical OS to Bill and his friends thinking that they would help design and usher in a new era of computer technology.

Bill instead, decided to flip everything backwards and port it to the Intel/IBM design. He then went around Jobs, and started bidding on the Xerox OS himself with an already completed OS.

Therefore.... Apple got the Xerox OS, CREATED what we know as the fully working Graphical OS... and then entrusted Bill Gates to be part of it. Bill then screwed Jobs over and ported a half-assed version.

So you could say that Xerox created Windows... but the windows Xerox created looked NOTHING like windows. They created a shell. It was Apple who actually cultured it, made it into a workable OS that did more than basically pointing to DOS commands and created it into what it is today.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you are completely in fantasyland. You version of history has little resemblence to real events. You've managed to wildly distort every detail.

I strongly recommend you look up a book entitled 'Fumbling the Future' which goes into considerable detail of the Xerox PARC (and SDD) innovations and their failure to reap the rewards. After that, read 'Apple' by Jim Carlton, which goes into deep detail about the mistakes Apple made, including a chapter describing Microsoft's attept to save the Mac from Jobs' egocentric decisions. Also recommended is 'Accidental Empires' by a guy who among the first dozen Apple employees and can attest to Steve Jobs' poisonous personality.

The Xerox Star and ALTO products were far more complete systems than you seem to realize. I don't know who this woman you've imagined is supposed to be, nor when this bidding war you mention occurred. There was far more than one person on that team. I've had first hand experience with working units and in many ways they were more useful machines than Apple's first attempt, the Lisa. (Named for the illegitimate daughter Steve Jobs left in destittution for much of her childhood.) Much of it was clunky by today's standards but for the 70s this was nothing short of stunning work. A vast amount of what drives today's systems was done for the first time in a real product by the Xerox people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerox_Star

Jobs wasn't even part of the Mac project early on. He inserted himself there after running the Lisa into the ground. Bill Gates didn't just suddenly become Jobs buddy when Apple started work on the Mac. They'd know each other for the better part of a decade. Microsoft's first hardware product was the Z80 Softcard that let Apple ][ machines run CP/M, which offered a wealth of business apps. Microsoft also produced many of the most widely used programming languages and tools for the 8-bit Apple platform. That Jobs would enlist Microsoft as a Mac developer was not at all surprising.

Nor did Gates betray Jobs. Just like Apple, Microsoft had several of the Xerox PARC crew working for them by this point. Microsoft was equally enthusiastic for the GUI concept but had no intention of going into the OS business. The DOS deal had been pursued because of the perception that it would mean getting in on the ground floor for programming products and apps for the new IBM PC. When Apple got serious about commercializing what had been developed at Xerox PARC, Gates strongly believed that this machine could take the market from IBM. And that was fine by him because Microsoft didn't see itself as an OS company and wanted to focus on the more lucrative and glamorous field of applications. Being the premier app developer for the Mac was the ambition of the day. A lot of early Mac demo code was written by Microsoft, with the calculator accessory being the most memorable.

What threw a spanner in the works is when Apple decided how they would go about marketing the Mac. Microsoft had seen fantastic growth from the PC clone market and understood intimately how IBM had screwed themselves by trying to control too much. The PC as an open platform had grown far beyond IBM. If IBM had gone for a low cost licensing approach they could have had a piece of every PC out there instead of Microsoft enjoying that situation.

The problem was that Apple was intent on duplicating IBM's approach to the market. Microsoft went to considerable effort to convince Apple that the Mac would be far more powerful as a market force if they licensed it instead of trying to have every single machine come from Apple. Most of the Apple directors from that era have since admitted they were completely wrong and that Microsoft's proposed model was the way they should have gone.

Thus Apple greatly constrained their own market strength, putting short term revenue ahead of much greater long term revenue. At the same time, VisiCorp, which was still a major software company, announced VisiOn. This was a GUI environment that would make a PC act like a Mac while still giving access to all of the PC library. VisiOn was a disaster and the version eventually shipped had the dubious distinction of crashing if you moved the mouse at the right moment. VisiCorp went into a rapid decline and was bought out by Lotus Corp., which had been founded by ex-VisiCorp programmer Mitch Kapor. But VisiOn sent a shockwave through the industry. The Mac was still struggling to be taken seriously since it was still very difficult to do any serious work on its severely limited resources. (Many credit Microsoft's Excel speadsheet. as the first Mac business app that was worth getting the Mac just to have.) VisiOn made people consider that they could have the GUI and a serious business machine.

Windows was first announced as a reaction to VisiOn. It wasn't much later that IBM enlisted Microsoft for their bid to retake the PC market with OS/2 and the MicroChannel architecture. Again, Microsoft was hoping to be relieved of the OS business if IBM could get their act together. But it bcame apparent they were not going to change. Microsoft's programmers had repeated arguments with IBM's people about the need for ease of use without each app requiring costly training. IBM didn't get it. Their intent was to bring a lot of their mainframe products down to the desktop. They thought just supporting a mouse at all was a huge concession to the lowly end users.

At this point Windows was regarded as a low end product for system that wouldn't be up to the task of running OS/2. There was a public event for OS/2 that was the first big party Microsoft ever threw for the press. The IBM executive was brought up to address th crowd babbled for a couple minutes and left the stage, saying he needed to catch a flight. According to my witness in attendance, Gates was extremely pissed and was seething the rest of the night. Jerry points to that as the moment that Gates decided he could no longer rely on partners togt it right and Microsoft would have to be serious about creating its own platform.

Work on Windows 3.0 took a very serious turn at that point and the NT project was started not long after.

Just because there isn't a command line in the pre-OS X Macs doesn't mean the same things aren't happening under the hood as any other OS. When you rename a file in Mac OS the process from the computer's perspective is no different than on any DOS PC running Win3.x. The only difference is that the GUI shell isn't optional on the Mac. Even that is no longer true under OS X. You can access the command line and run any of the popular shells available for BSD. A vast array of character mapped apps run natively on Darwin just fine. The OS X GUI is just a shell on top of that.

[quote name='mykevermin']Whysat? He has majority non-controlling equity in Apple (49% of their stock, presumably he hasn't sold much of it). Gates smiles anytime you buy anything for your computer, Mac or not.[/QUOTE]

False. Completely false.

Not long after Steve Jobs was brought back to Apple (Apple bought NeXT but the NeXT guys and their OS took over) there was a MacWorld event to introduce the the first iMac and instill confidence in depressed Apple stalwarts.

Among the announcements was an investment by Microsoft, not Bill Gates. This was the purchase of $150 million worth of non-voting shares in the company. Considering that the company's valuation was well over a $Billion at the time, this was nowhere remotely close to 49%. The non-voting status meant that Microsoft has absolutely zero say in the company's operations.

The stock was entirely sold off several years ago.

This was purely a PR show of support. What many fail to appreciate is that the Macintosh product line has Microsoft as its #2 beneficiary. Microsoft has made substantial profits in Mac software, even in years when Apple was bleeding red ink. Microsoft was among the first third parties to ship Macintosh software with Multiplan and made major strides in advancing the Mac's business image with Excel. To date, Microsoft has produced far more software for the MAc than any other non-Microsoft platform. It would not be to Microsoft's advantage for the Mac to die.

It's funny. I'm a Mac user and whenever I mention to a someone I have a Mac, they almost ALWAYS roll their eyes and start rambling how much it sucks and why PC's are so much better.

Going by that, it's usually the PC people that are the pretentious assholes. At least from my experiences anyway.

I saw a new commercial with them the other day, it seems like they really toned down his "smug mac assholeness." He barely even talks, as a matter of fact.

[quote name='yukine']I saw a new commercial with them the other day, it seems like they really toned down his "smug mac assholeness." He barely even talks, as a matter of fact.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just saw the christmas ad. So the campaign isnt gone, they just didnt make him as smart-assy.

[quote name='blackjaw']Yeah, I just saw the christmas ad. So the campaign isnt gone, they just didnt make him as smart-assy.[/QUOTE]
Damn...I saw one too...I was hoping these commercials would be gone for good.

[quote name='norkusa']It's funny. I'm a Mac user and whenever I mention to a someone I have a Mac, they almost ALWAYS roll their eyes and start rambling how much it sucks and why PC's are so much better.

Going by that, it's usually the PC people that are the pretentious assholes. At least from my experiences anyway.[/QUOTE]

QFT.

Too bad. I *LOVED* those ads. They're about the only ones I actually rewind on to watch (when there's a new one).

The quote in the original post is full of it. The PC guy in the ads is a complete loser (and reminds me of my ex's husband, so I doubly hate him :D ). I don't find the "Mac" comes off bad at all.

IMO these are some of the best ads in years. But of course the random "I hate Apple" contingent doesn't like them. They won't like anything Apple does.

I like Macs but I hated these ads. Most of them were just lame strawman attacks. I agree with the poster who said Apple should stop bashing everybody else and just show their own product, it's not like Macs are ugly and they need to hide them.

[quote name='Dezuria'] ...I use Windows now. And no, it's not hard to use, and doesn't crash or do weird things ...[/quote]

[quote name='varsitygamer']lol[/quote]

Why laugh at this, I've owned the same PC for 5 years and can say it's crashed maybe twice and has done wierd things only a handful of times. Mind you I'm constantly on it programming and gaming and it basically never shuts off. It's also by far very easy to use as well.

[quote name='norkusa']It's funny. I'm a Mac user and whenever I mention to a someone I have a Mac, they almost ALWAYS roll their eyes and start rambling how much it sucks and why PC's are so much better.

Going by that, it's usually the PC people that are the pretentious assholes. At least from my experiences anyway.[/QUOTE]
Really? I've had the exact opposite experience, people who own macs act very pretentious.

I didn't really feel strongly either way about their ads.

I don't buy Mac's and haven't had any contact with them for years, mainly because I just wouldn't put that much money into a computer.

[quote name='docvinh']Really? I've had the exact opposite experience, people who own macs act very pretentious.[/QUOTE]

I think "hardcore" fans of anything are usually pretentious jerk. But by percentages, it means there are more on the PC side.

[quote name='yukine']Windows crashed often back on Windows 98/ME, but that all changed once Windows XP was released.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Now it's just the "apps" that crash...

Saw the new commercial too. Didn't like it nearly as much as the older ones.

[quote name='keithp']Yeah. Now it's just the "apps" that crash...

Saw the new commercial too. Didn't like it nearly as much as the older ones.[/quote]
Nope, not really. And I'm using a mediocre laptop.

Apple just needs to stop trying to use that as a weapon, "h4r h4r h4r! PC is teh cr4sh1ng b0x!" it's just not true anymore.

Damn straight. That guy was way too damn smug. I hate smug people. And of course almost every commercial was a lie... but if he just wasn't so damn smug maybe I wouldn't have cared.

And as for who defends their OS more... I think pretty much all Mac supporters have to defend their beliefs on a daily basis so they have a speech prepared on how they don't get viruses and have an annoying launch bar with expanding icons. I have a mac supporter friend who's buying a macintosh with bootcamp for about $1500 that I could build for under half the price in PC form (speed wise). His largest reason is that Macs don't get viruses (well pretty much his only reason besides liking the layout and all). I haven't gotten a virus in 5 years with a free antivirus program.

[quote name='DrFoo']Damn straight. That guy was way too damn smug. I hate smug people. And of course almost every commercial was a lie... but if he just wasn't so damn smug maybe I wouldn't have cared.

And as for who defends their OS more... I think pretty much all Mac supporters have to defend their beliefs on a daily basis so they have a speech prepared on how they don't get viruses and have an annoying launch bar with expanding icons. I have a mac supporter friend who's buying a macintosh with bootcamp for about $1500 that I could build for under half the price in PC form (speed wise). His largest reason is that Macs don't get viruses (well pretty much his only reason besides liking the layout and all). I haven't gotten a virus in 5 years with a free antivirus program.[/quote]

Not too mention the thousand other free based programs that you can use to protect you PC. Sandboxie (actually a feature that I believe comes standard in Vista) is the first one to come to mind. Then you have the thousand or so firewalls, peerguardian, etc.

[quote name='Prepster']Dam I really loved these commercials.

I own a Amazing gaming pc and a macbook pro and I must say both are amazing for what I use each for.

I just don't understand all the tension and bitchyness....towards Justin Long....

Maybe I'm one of the few, but I think hes a very good actor.[/quote]

I like Justin Long as an actor as well. Inmost of the movies he's in I find him enjoyable and quite funny for the most part. And I really liked these commercials. I never truly got a sense of smugness out of them, though I did initially, but I merely laughed that off and enjoyed them for what they were.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I liked the commercial where the Mac was bragging about it's magnetic power cord, as if PC owners constantly trip over their cords and wreck their rig.[/QUOTE]

You'd be amazed at how many broken DC jacks and RJ45 connections exist. I used to work for a notebook company on the repair end, and I'd say a good portion of the repairs we did were people tripping over cords, or leaving something plugged in and trying to pull it off their desk.

They weren't as funny as the golf balls through the screens, or PCMCIA cards jammed in upside down so hard they trashed the motherboard, but they made up for the lack of comedy in sheer volume.

Yep. There is one were there is a different dude from Justin Long but Long shows up at the end.

It was just PC hiring a terrible Mac dude to try and prove PC is better, thats the impression I got from the commercial.

[quote name='evilmax17']I've seen a bunch of new ads in this series within the past few days, so somebody somewhere was lying.[/QUOTE]

QFMFT.

Although, they are less annoying these days.

Yes, I've seen at least 3 or 4 different commercials around Christmas to now.

They are much less annoying than they used to be, but I still hate how their biggest complaint with PC/Windows is that "Wind0wz cr4shez 0ften d00dz!" I hate marketing bullshit.

I just don't like how they tout some of their 'great' features. A built in webcam? A power cord that's magnetically attached? Whoopty fucking do.

Honestly, I thought Windows did suck but with my two new computers... I've had zero problems thus far. But Apple needs to start showing how great gaming is on their computer because...

Oh wait...

I actually like the commericals, but I hate how they do not say that Mac's can run any operating system through parallels well, but instead oh mac can make a photobook easy. Really who would spend the extra fucking cash to get a Mac to run OSX (which is made from BSD) just to make a damn photobook.

[quote name='Vinny']I just don't like how they tout some of their 'great' features. A built in webcam? A power cord that's magnetically attached? Whoopty fucking do.

Honestly, I thought Windows did suck but with my two new computers... I've had zero problems thus far. But Apple needs to start showing how great gaming is on their computer because...

Oh wait...[/quote]

Windows was crappy back when 98/ME was out, but XP is pretty stable. I couldn't believe I actually waited so long to upgrade.

Vista? Eh, hopefully Microsoft doesn't break anything.

Apple has an advantage of not having viruses because no one wants to hack anything in an Apple. If major corporations installed Apples in their financial network then that would peak hacking in these systems.

They neglect to mention that viruses decrease on older versions of windows because no one is hacking them anymore.

The point is that it's all security through obscurity that is what Apple sells.

I like PC even though they can be big and ugly but the price is right. Those commercials strike me as old lady friendly or dipshit enabled either way.

[quote name='yukine']Vista? Eh, hopefully Microsoft doesn't break anything.[/quote]

:rofl:

[quote name='sendmesomegames']Apple has an advantage of not having viruses because no one wants to hack anything in an Apple.quote]

A misnomer--there are viruses for OS X.

[quote name='Vinny']I just don't like how they tout some of their 'great' features. A built in webcam? A power cord that's magnetically attached? Whoopty fucking do.
[/QUOTE]

You'll change your tune on that magnetic power cord the first time you trip over your Windows notebook and send it crashing to the ground.

Guaranteed.

[quote name='keithp']You'll change your tune on that magnetic power cord the first time you trip over your Windows notebook and send it crashing to the ground.

Guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

No, Apple users are just more clumsy.

[quote name='Vinny']I just don't like how they tout some of their 'great' features. A built in webcam? A power cord that's magnetically attached? Whoopty fucking do.[/quote]

I'd have to say that I love both of these features on my MacBook. I've accidentally tripped or been tangled up in the cord numerous times and the fact that it just pops out without causing any damage to the computer or the power cord is a thing of genius. It's something I don't have to worry about which is nice.

And the built in camera is also great. I've used it several times here on CAG to post pictures of games or items and it really cuts down on the time it takes to post pictures on eBay or any other website. It definitely saves me a lot of time as I don't have to worry about getting out the digital camera to take the pictures and then transfer them to my computer via USB. With the built in camera, it's just a simple snapshot and it's ready to upload.

Both features may seem trivial, but when they make what I'm trying to accomplish quicker, easier, and less worrisome, it's the little features that really add up.

[quote name='keithp']You'll change your tune on that magnetic power cord the first time you trip over your Windows notebook and send it crashing to the ground.

Guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

If you leave a cord out in the open, then you deserve to have your computer fall and die.:p Sure, it's a great feature... fine, whatever. But a feature worth dedicating a whole commercial to? Hardly.

I've seen/heard laptops fall before... but never seen one completely die because of it. The worst case was that of a dead HD. Maybe Apples (physically) break easier? None of them where any higher than a table top but I doubt you'd need to go any high than that.

[quote name='shipwreck']I'd have to say that I love both of these features on my MacBook. I've accidentally tripped or been tangled up in the cord numerous times and the fact that it just pops out without causing any damage to the computer or the power cord is a thing of genius. It's something I don't have to worry about which is nice.

And the built in camera is also great. I've used it several times here on CAG to post pictures of games or items and it really cuts down on the time it takes to post pictures on eBay or any other website. It definitely saves me a lot of time as I don't have to worry about getting out the digital camera to take the pictures and then transfer them to my computer via USB. With the built in camera, it's just a simple snapshot and it's ready to upload.

Both features may seem trivial, but when they make what I'm trying to accomplish quicker, easier, and less worrisome, it's the little features that really add up.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the camera limited to only what's right in front of it (ie, you have to physically move the whole laptop if you want to take a picture of something other than your face or boobs)? If so, I hardly doubt that's as any more convenient as getting a standalone camera to take pictures of some things unless you like to personally hold everything you take a picture of.

Granted, it's probably great for cam whores.;-)

[quote name='Vinny']If you leave a cord out in the open, then you deserve to have your computer fall and die.:p Sure, it's a great feature... fine, whatever. But a feature worth dedicating a whole commercial to? Hardly.

I've seen laptops fall before... but never seen one completely die because of it. The worst case was that of a dead HD. Maybe Apples (physically) break easier?[/quote]

But see, that's the point, there's no worst case. No need to replace a hard drive, power supply connector, power cable, etc.

[quote name='Vinny']
If I'm not mistake, isn't the camera limited to only what's right in front of it (ie, you can't move it without physically move the whole laptop)? If so, I hardly doubt that's as convenient getting a standalone camera to take pictures of some things unless you like to personally hold everything you take a picture of.

Granted, it's probably great for cam whores.;-)[/QUOTE]

Correct, but I just hold the laptop up and take pictures of whatever I need to. Sometimes I just hold stuff up, sometimes I set stuff on a table and hold the laptop up. No other devices needed, no getting cables out, no transfering of files. It's quick and easy and does a good job if I want to post something quickly. For me, it's infinitely more convenient than getting the camera out and hooking up the USB cable (I hate doing that).

Plus, I use a couple of database programs to keep track of games/movies/books that allow me to use the built-in camera to scan in the UPC codes from the items.

[quote name='shipwreck']But see, that's the point, there's no worst case. No need to replace a hard drive, power supply connector, power cable, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Or, you know, you could use the laptop like it was intended.

bread's done
Back