Are there any freeware alternatives to Windows Disk Defragmenter?

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Disk Defrag doesn't complete on my machine for some reason. I am thinking about buying Norton System works since it's Speed Disk has worked well for me years ago, but if there is a good free alternative I'll give that a try.

I don't know of any freeware defragmentation tools, but have you tried running it in safe mode (and preferably after a scandisk)? That usually works for me when I'm helping someone with a system that will not defragment normally.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Disk Defrag doesn't complete on my machine for some reason. I am thinking about buying Norton System works since it's Speed Disk has worked well for me years ago, but if there is a good free alternative I'll give that a try.[/QUOTE]

Speed Disk used to be awesome...about 10 years ago. Heck, I don't even know if NU comes with it anymore.

Go with Diskeeper though. The one built into XP is a severely stripped down version of Diskeeper 6 or 7 (I forget) and the current version is Diskeeper 11. I've been more than happy with Diskeeper for many years now.

[quote name='Nogib']Speed Disk used to be awesome...about 10 years ago. Heck, I don't even know if NU comes with it anymore.

Go with Diskeeper though. The one built into XP is a severely stripped down version of Diskeeper 6 or 7 (I forget) and the current version is Diskeeper 11. I've been more than happy with Diskeeper for many years now.[/quote]

I'll give it a try if I get home from work at a reasonable time.

Diskeeper seems to be getting the job done. However, I have to keep running it over and over. Each time it complete it improves the fragmentation bit by bit. I have 33.7GB free but it keeps saying I need to free more space.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Diskeeper seems to be getting the job done. However, I have to keep running it over and over. Each time it complete it improves the fragmentation bit by bit. I have 33.7GB free but it keeps saying I need to free more space.[/quote]
Yea, that's why I use this : http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/
Try it... it has a great Help file... if you people are tech guys like me you will love the reading :applause:

Power Defragmentor. Google it I dont have the link. It moves the files so that they are all in on huge chunck together rather then in pieces. Then I usually run Windows defrag to move those chucks closer together if need be.

[quote name='Sinistar']Quick question on defragging.. About how long does it take to defrag a 300 gig hard drive?[/quote]

Depends how split up the files are.

BTW Nice Threadromancy.

ha didn't even notice the age of this thread when I replied after sinistar's post. In any event, it got me thinking about defragging, something I haven't done in over a year.

ps: awesome sig pic, Jest.

Maximum PC recently did an article to test the effects of defragmentation. They found that in many cases, after a defrag with various programs (Auslogics Disk Defrag, Diskeeper 2008), their harddisk benchmark actually DECREASES in both bootup, shutdown, as well as overall PCMark benchmarks. PerfectDisk 2008 is the only 3rd party program they tested that improves slightly in both bootup and shutdown time, but suffered great loss in PCMark scores. However, Window Vista's own built-in defrag program proves to to be the best defragmentator to use, improving both bootup time (decreased by 20%) and PCMark; but shutdown time was greatly hindered (increased by 70%) like most 3rd party programs.

So in short, dont bother to defrag unless you've gone at least 6 months without doing so and that you have more than 100GB of data in your C: drive. These test results were shown in June issue of Maximum PC.

They recommend Auslogics Disk Defrag as your free alternative to Window's own defrag.

[quote name='Serik']ha didn't even notice the age of this thread when I replied after sinistar's post. In any event, it got me thinking about defragging, something I haven't done in over a year.

ps: awesome sig pic, Jest.[/quote]

haha yeah I figured I would just add to this thread instead of start a new one on defragging, since I rarely defrag anymore, like you, and it was about time. I'm gonna check some of these programs mentioned in this thread out. I just hope they are compatible with XP64. Do you guys know if those programs will autodefrag hard drive when not in use? That would be handy..

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Maximum PC recently did an article to test the effects of defragmentation. They found that in many cases, after a defrag with various programs (Auslogics Disk Defrag, Diskeeper 2008), their harddisk benchmark actually DECREASES in both bootup, shutdown, as well as overall PCMark benchmarks. PerfectDisk 2008 is the only 3rd party program they tested that improves slightly in both bootup and shutdown time, but suffered great loss in PCMark scores. However, Window Vista's own built-in defrag program proves to to be the best defragmentator to use, improving both bootup time (decreased by 20%) and PCMark; but shutdown time was greatly hindered (increased by 70%) like most 3rd party programs.

So in short, dont bother to defrag unless you've gone at least 6 months without doing so and that you have more than 100GB of data in your C: drive. These test results were shown in June issue of Maximum PC.

They recommend Auslogics Disk Defrag as your free alternative to Window's own defrag.[/quote]

II forgot about this thread.

Good info SOSTrooper. One thing I have started doing since I did a fresh install of XP last month is use an external USB hardrive to store and use data from. I'm hoping that will mean less defrag issues with my C: Drive.

bread's done
Back