Article: Why are so many people trashing Modern Warfare 3?

iRobotZombie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Hey GM! First off I want to say you guys rule! Anyway, this month I was watching Call of Duty videos online and I noticed how many negative comments there were. How come this year so many people are trashing Modern Warfare 3 and saying Battlefield 3 is going to kick MW3's butt?

Games Master says:
We're bamboozled by some of the bile that gets flung in Call of Duty's direction too, Ari - they're still great games online and off, and that's reflected by their mind-spinning popularity.

We guess it's a little bit like when your favourite band goes mainstream and it becomes 'cool' to hate on them, too. Also, we think a lot of the hate is actually aimed at Activision, because they're the biggest publisher - but that does a great disservice to the teams at Treyarch and Infinity Ward, who work hard to deliver top quality FPS experiences.

CVG says: We whole-heartedly agree; there's a reason Call of Duty games continue to get the great scores they do. Not only is the franchise technically strong and immense fun, it's come to define a genre.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...are-so-many-people-trashing-modern-warfare-3/

I think this has less to do with the popularity of the franchise, and more to do with the highly publicized split between the original devs and the publisher. Certain embittered members of the fan base will only be capable of viewing the game with a jaundiced eye due to the change in creative team, so everywhere Treyarch zigs, they'll say "Infinity Ward would have zagged and it would have been better!" whether its a good choice or not.

My opinion: This is all down to marketing tactics. Early this year EA said it was going to spend insane amount of $ to promote Battlefield 3, and in with that comes the stupid tag lines for their adverts and countless news articles with quotes from DICE and EA officials spouting abuse at Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and the series in general.

This of course plays off to the fans and they all get in it, like mob culture.

"DICE: Battlefield 'offers so much more than Call of Duty'"

"Yeeeeeeaaahhh! screw you CoD! YOU'RE SHIT! whooooooo!"

But underneath all them marketing dollars, Battlefield 3 is just an ignored kid that has resorted to bullying to get noticed among the kings of the genre, Call of Duty.

"It feels good," to be compared to Call of Duty, he told Gamasutra. "They're behemoths, and just the notion that we would be able to take a chunk from their gamers is awesome. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/321959/dice-battlefield-offers-so-much-more-than-call-of-duty/
I like to think that this is comparible to The Matrix. Crazy huh? Remember that scene when Neo finally realises he is The One; Agents rush at him in the corridor and he just palms them off without even looking.

Call of Duty is at that stage now where it doesn't really need to advertise, or spend a whole cash cow on advertising to promote the product. Its insane. CoD is the bigger man in this fight, and he's not even paying attention.

That said, enjoy both games and quit the smack talk.

I think most of the hate comes from its popularity. A lot of people don't think it's worthy of its sales numbers, and they are sick of hearing about the game everywhere. Plus, people don't like Activision, so seeing it do so well every year due to this one series inspires even more hatred. And of course, with it being the internet, people love to pick sides and over exaggerate things, so that's why you see so many people celebrating Battlefield 3 and trashing Call of Duty as if it's terrible. EA only seems to be adding fuel to the fire with this. I'm almost never on Activision's side of things, but in this case, EA seems to be the childish one.

The truth is, both games will most likely be good, and people should just shut up and buy whichever one they think they'll enjoy, rather than turning it into a fanboy competition every time MW3 is mentioned. It's become cool to hate on COD, mainly because it's popular. Even if you think the Modern Warfare games are getting way more sales than they deserve, that doesn't actually make the games bad. The Modern Warfare series has gotten outstanding reviews thus far, and it's not simply due to hype. The games are actually good.

The franchise is running an unimpressive course at the moment when we're seeing other developers like DICE who are really pushing the limits in terms of a modern day shooter.

I'm not saying CoD needs vehicles or any of that, but when you see a game like BF3 that far ahead in terms of visual flare, and then you look at MW doing its same holiday routine, it says something.

tl;dr -- Activision finally has competition and it's making them look a bit dated.

Simple. Because its a first person shooter and people are sick of FPS games and the community surrounding them, and the racist and homophobe 15 year olds with too much time on their hands who play them.

Saying “people just hate it because it's popular” is incredibly short-sighted and dismissive. Of course there ARE people like that out there, but from my experience they don't much care for Battlefield 3 either, or any modern military FPS for that matter. EDIT: Furthermore, I don't think people are hating on Activision just because they're a juggernaut as the article says: it's not like EA is some small, sympathetic publisher.

I don't think hating on CoD has been a recent thing: I first saw hints of objection with MW2, that disinterest increased twofold with Black Ops, and now that there is a legitimate contender that can shake things up it's not surprising to see dissaproval at its peak.

Personally I think CoD is “good” the same way that Madden is “good”: there's nothing especially objectionable about the quality, but the yearly iterations with minimal changes makes the whole thing feel stale. I also think the series is suffering from next-gen Sonic syndrome: the game plays itself so much that even the spectacle starts to become disinteresting and you start to crave more freedom, or even just control. There's also objections about Activision on the whole: the company has a habit of taking a good thing and driving it into the ground while pushing out some of their more unique titles with little fanfare (see Singularity). Of course “moderation” isn't exactly an appealing idea to shareholders or pop culture, but I think spreading these games out two or three years apart would've helped maintain a longer-lasting interest in this series, and would probably have allowed for more gameplay innovation. Plus weren't there like 3 companies working on this game? That screams “rush job” to me.

EA really is trying to take pot shots at CoD whenever it can which IS a bit silly, but then again I don't think Activision's “oh yeah, well our game runs at 60 fps” is quite the comeback they think it is. Ultimatley the whole thing doesn't bother me: I've been gaming long enough to know that these “vs. wars” are stupid, silly arguments that have no influence on my personal decisions. In fact I think it's a good thing we should all appreciate: competition encourages innovation, if BF3 sells well then Acitivision will have to step their game up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my problem is not that it's popular, but how Activision is saying oh look Call of Duty is popular, lets make it yearly and drive out any creativity to the ground which in return makes it stale.

I am not saying Battlefield is a better game but to be fair, the last real Battlefield game was 2102 or whatever the name was called. Sure BC2 was a Battlefield game but it wasn't a true Battlefield experience (as of 64v64 huge maps and such). Now going from 2102 to Battlefield 3 you can clearly see the major improvements that the game has over 2102 or even Battlefield 2. With Call of Duties, it's hard to see the major improvements or even a general purpose of why the game is even here besides because Activision feels the need to keep pumping them out.

It is due to the popularity. People like to see huge things fail.

It's not going to happen though. The people that hate on it are going to buy it, and as far as BF3 goes, I'm sure the beta did it no favors.

People like to see big sellers fail even if the game received a 100% from every publication.

Also despite Battlefield 3 having a "beta" it left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths.

Even if I hated Call of Duty I would most likely have to buy it because all my friends would be getting it. Same with Halo, and to a lesser extent Gears of War. Luckily I've enjoyed all the games so far.

I pretty much agree 100% with iamsmart. Quite frankly, I don't know how they pull it off. Year after year and the only thing that changes are the maps and perks. Sure, there's a new campaign but you'll spend 10 hours the most on that. The multiplayer aspect is what is so hyped up. I was really into World at War when it came out but I pretty much stopped right there. It's a good franchise, but it got old to me fairly quick.

What is even more aggravating is them advertising a $50 subscription for the entire year to get access to upcoming map packs. Now while this is becoming more prevalent across the board, it still pisses me off. People who get this on XBOX are technically forking out $60 on launch for the title, $35~60 on Live (depends really.) and then another another $50 for some maps? That's already $145~$170.

Overall, I don't like what is happening in the gaming industry. From driving a franchise to the ground with yearly installments to the holding back of content. The future looks extremely grim :(

[quote name='panzerfaust']The franchise is running an unimpressive course at the moment when we're seeing other developers like DICE who are really pushing the limits in terms of a modern day shooter.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I'm not really seeing how they're pushing anything. Graphics/glitches aside in the beta, the gameplay was nothing new and felt like a step back if anything.

The reason why CoD is on top is because so many shooters try to imitate it but just don't do it as well, much less better.

I think it's because of how utterly broken MW2 is right now.

I played a match of domination earlier this week, and the enemy team noobtubed our spawn flag the entire time I was in there (I ended up leaving, obviously.). The game can be a lot of fun, but it's balance issues are disgusting. I'm worried that MW3 will be broken too, since they kept noobtubes and quickscoping.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']I think it's because of how utterly broken MW2 is right now.

I played a match of domination earlier this week, and the enemy team noobtubed our spawn flag the entire time I was in there (I ended up leaving, obviously.). The game can be a lot of fun, but it's balance issues are disgusting. I'm worried that MW3 will be broken too, since they kept noobtubes and quickscoping.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played MW2 but MW1 had this problem of map size for me. A lot of the maps felt more like a glorified deathmatch game without all the fun things like a game such as unreal or quake would have (plus the maps were really small). Plus since it was realistic, anyone with a rocket launcher was basically getting free kills.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I haven't played MW2 but MW1 had this problem of map size for me. A lot of the maps felt more like a glorified deathmatch game without all the fun things like a game such as unreal or quake would have (plus the maps were really small). Plus since it was realistic, anyone with a rocket launcher was basically getting free kills.[/QUOTE]

To clarify, this wasn't a problem with map size, as it was a fairly large map. What they did was discover a place near their spawn, where they could launch noobtubes across the map onto our spawn flag, and continued to do it the entire game. They had guards near the noobtubers, also noobtubing, so we couldn't flank and kill them.

Simply disgusting.

It wouldn't have been such a huge problem, except you can't use party chat in most of the playlists in MW2, so my friends are forced into Ground War where shit like this happens, and playing MW2 now, if you leave a game, it'll put you right back into it if you look again since there are so few players.

My problems with Modern Warfare 2:
- Campaign sucked, and it more often than not devolved into spectacle over substance
- Multiplayer was glitchy as hell
- Bobby Kotick

Modern Warfare 3 won't even be made by Infinity Ward, really; or the creators of Call of Duty for that matter. That dev house is basically a skeleton that I expect to be shutdown sooner rather than later. So forgive me if you think I'm being critical when I say '3 devs making 1 game is bad news.'

People like to see big sellers fail even if the game received a 100% from every publication.
I guess I wrote all of that stuff above for nothing because there's been about three more people since then saying the same thing: "people don't like it cuz it's popular."

This logic doesn't work for me. You have two mainstream titles by two publishing giants, both of which are going to make a shitload of money. By my count BOTH of these games are hated for the sake of being popular, people don't say "Coke is too mainstream, but hey that underdog Pepsi isn't half bad"

[quote name='whoknows']I don't know, I'm not really seeing how they're pushing anything. Graphics/glitches aside in the beta, the gameplay was nothing new and felt like a step back if anything.

The reason why CoD is on top is because so many shooters try to imitate it but just don't do it as well, much less better.[/QUOTE]

oh, interesting. i haven't touched BF3 so i was just talking out my ass. that's unfortunate if it ends up being disappointing...

and it's funny because BF became successful for doing what it did well -- big maps, team objectives, and the class/rank system. when they moved it to consoles, however, it has increasingly become more CoD like.

I thought most of the hate was due to what happened with Infinity Ward, not the fact that MW is super popular.

I know a few people I have spoken with said something to that extent.

[quote name='2DMention']Simple. Because its a first person shooter and people are sick of FPS games and the community surrounding them, and the racist and homophobe 15 year olds with too much time on their hands who play them.[/QUOTE]

^^^ IMO, this is why people are hating on COD games. I love the single player campaigns, but I HATE the online COD community. After playing Halo, COD, and the BF series I have had the worst experiences with COD players.

Probably because the only way its absurd single player campaigns could top itself at this point would be to have a bunch of aliens invade, with their first line being "We have traveled a thousand light years TO END DEMOCRACY!"

I think people hit on all the reasons.

-People hate on FPS games in general as they've become so popular

-CoD is super popular and the hardcore gaming set hates on popular games like it, Halo, Madden etc. as it's taken their hobby mainstream

-All the morons in the online community--racists, homophobes, 12 year olds screaming etc.

I love the series personally, though I'm not as obsessed with it as many. But I enjoy playing the campaign once and then spending a lot of time in the MP. I only play with friends and use party chat so I never have to hear the morons. Rare times I play by myself I just mute my mic.

[quote name='dmaul1114']cod is super popular and the hardcore gaming set hates on popular games like it, halo, madden etc. As it's taken their hobby mainstream[/quote]

somebody please debate me

I think game discussion has been taking over by a lot of ridiculous hyperbole. I heard that rage really sucked and it was virtually unplayable. I bought it and took it to a friends 360 and didn't install it and it looked great and while it's not the best weird shooter/racer hybrid I ever played it was pretty fun.

Same thing with Crysis 2. I was told that it looked terrible and the AI didn't work. I bought it for $40 and while the AI does occasionally fugue and you can abuse the stealth it's again pretty fun and very nice looking.

People just love to say that games really suck even if they don't. They exaggerate a lot, usually to the point where it ruins their credibility.

It actually seems like a lot of people are trashing Battlefield 3 at the moment due to performance issues on EA's servers and the EA Origins fiasco on the PC.

[quote name='Rozz']It actually seems like a lot of people are trashing Battlefield 3 at the moment due to performance issues on EA's servers and the EA Origins fiasco on the PC.[/QUOTE]

there are real concerns. MW3 isn't even out.

its the 12 year olds playin....i cant stand havin to fucking mute kids all the time screaming racial slurs n cussing twice as much as i do....besides i played bfbc2 then played blops and decided to stick to bf...just my pref.

Lol, ". . .define a genre". Pretty sure Doom, Wolfenstein, etc defined the genre decades ago CVG. . .

I think the competitive nature has been artificially manufactured by DICE TBH. They've been talking shit since E3 and people are just echoing their battlecries. I think it does show that some people are ready for a true follow-up to BF2 though. Old habits die-hard though and for whatever reason people cling to COD. I can't see it for the life of me, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

They've been using this same engine for years, and it's getting very tedious.

Also, this installment looks almost identical to MW2, just with different "skins", and a new "survival mode".

Infinity Ward also fell apart while making this game, which more than likely means the game was being "rushed", and they left a lot of the elements the same.

Also, from most of the videos I've seen, even though there's no nuke or anything, it looks ridiculously unbalanced.

I'm not going to lie and say that I haven't enjoyed Call of Duty, because I have, and I've played all of them from the first one on PC, but I'm going to pass on MW3. Maybe if they change it up a bit more in the next installment.

Things to look forward to in MW3

5 hour campaign-

play online where its all about killstreaks and people running up to you with double sub machine guns with a bigger clip add on and several perks that will make them harder to kill. I mean there is hardly aiming in black ops its about running around and unloading a million bullets. I hated campers but now I hate run and gunners more. No strategy.

a half dozen map packs that will set me back 15 bucks a pop

and new to MW3 chugging soda for double xp codes

yeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']Things to look forward to in MW3

5 hour campaign-

play online where its all about killstreaks and people running up to you with double sub machine guns with a bigger clip add on and several perks that will make them harder to kill. I mean there is hardly aiming in black ops its about running around and unloading a million bullets. I hated campers but now I hate run and gunners more. No strategy.

a half dozen map packs that will set me back 15 bucks a pop

and new to MW3 chugging soda for double xp codes

yeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh[/QUOTE]
That about sums up Modern Warfare 3. Granted MW3 is like Battlefield where it's really a MP only type of game. MW felt like a deathmatch game that you become better when you level up just based on unlocks and not on skill which feels cheap to me. Plus in MW, rocket launchers are just cheap. I mean at least in Battlefield they are totally justifiable since there are fucking tanks, but MW, they are just sit back and watch the free kills while the other team complains about it.

couple reasons MW gets hated on:
People suck at the game
People don't like what's popular and want to be "different/unique"
Have Sports team syndrome and just happened to side with the other team

I love MW2, I hated Black Ops and got rid of it in about 3 days. BF2 online is just way to slow for me. If people like it great have at it.

MW3 is going to be sick. I actually think getting some new devs on the game could really make things better(there's a flip-side to that coin also however).

I just don't care for Call of Duty.

It's bland and boring, gameplay wise. It's just another FPS to me.

Nothing is really bad about it, but nothing really stands out either.

This is just my opinion, but I've been playing FPS games since Wolf 3D. "shrugs"

Call of Duty is a dying franchise. The creative minds behind it were pushed out by Activision and that pissed off some of the fanbase. I think gamers are also getting tired of Activisions shameless annual whoring of the franchise. This latest COD game and any further games will be good, because the founders of the series left a great framework to build upon, but I feel these games will be iterative and not innovative.

Think about what happened to Guitar Hero when the founders left and created Rock Band. GH games got stale and the interest in them died out. The only saving grace for COD is that the IW founders/COD creators havent come out with a competing game yet, so COD is still the best game in town for run and gun fast paced FPS action on consoles.

I don't get all the hate either. I'm playing BF3 and loving it, but I also have MW3 preordered and will play that as well. And if West and Zampella (sp?) ever get a FPS game onto store shelves I will play that also.

And it's fine if you don't like FPS games, but to argue that they arent any good is just silly. All the COD games made by IW and Treyarch are some of the best shooters ever made. Popular doesn't always mean good, but in this case it does. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesnt make them bad games.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']
5 hour campaign
[/QUOTE]

My biggest gripe with it, as I am sure a lot of others peoples dislike of the series and shooters in general. Also a though occurs to me that most of those that bash call of duty are tend to be younger, and I have an inkling that those that bash it might be people who have gotten their first current gen system and realize they just don't like it.

I love gaming and have both a ps3 and 360 enjoy both of them very much. The other thing that take up a part of my that that i love other then my family is cars! its just your classic Ford vs Chevy they are the two big dogs on the block and now its just come to see who better! When over all they are both great games and i know i'm going to love mw3 just as much as i do bf3. No matter what forms you go to the fan boys and hatter are the ones that post the most no matter what type of form you go to and they both have crazy 12 year old boys droping the N and F bomb.

bread's done
Back