As a ps3 owner, make some arguments on why I should also have a 360

[quote name='hostyl1']
- cross game chat/parties/game invites which is never going to happen on a PS3 (never felt the need to chat w/ someone I wasnt playing w/against)[/quote]

You only addressed the first one there. I don't care about cross game chat either. But I love the other two.

Parties are great as it makes it easier to stay together when changing lobbies, switching to a different game etc. Even better, you only hear (and can talk with) people in your party, so you don't have to listen to all the morons on the other team, or randoms who get put on your team if you don't have a full squad.

Cross game invites are handy as hell too, as friends can invite me even if I'm playing another game and I can just accept it and put the game in and jump right into their game.

- replaceable batteries in the controller (wires are best left in last gen) (I do prefer replaceable batteries to disposable controllers but it hasnt affected me on PS3 yet)

It's not just that the controllers are disposable, it's the hassle of having to plug in with a wire to recharge. One of the best things about this generation is moving totally to wireless controllers and not having cords to get tangled up, not be long enough for those of us with big screens we sit pretty far back from etc.

- every console comes with a headset. No wondering if your teammate will have a mic. (I have multiple 360 headsets but rarely use them)

Moot for you, but great for anyone that plays any type of objective based multiplayer with randoms as it suck if teammates don't have mics and can't communicate as it requires team work to win.

But overall, I agree the 360 and PS3 have more similarities than differences. And it's just up to the individual if any of the differences really matter to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ajumbaje']Yea. A Mac desktop for bootcamp isnt on my immediate buy list. I didnt mention that I have a 3ds. I'll probably bite on one of the gears 360s at sams club if they're still around in the next two-three weeks. I'm selling my old iPod and iPhone. That and fantasy football winnings should definitely be enough. That and I think the 3ds is enough Nintendo. I can wait for the wii u.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I have to go back here. Are you saying get a Mac desktop and bootcamp to play games? If so you are very misinformed about good computers. You can build a Mac using better parts for 1/3 of it's price, it's only server hardware and a video card. You can use actual up to date parts as well. Or just build a desktop that kicks ass for 500ish :D

Seriously though, if you like multiplayer go xbox. Isn't Sony starting to find more and more ways to charge you anyways? Xbox live comes out to about 3.50 a month when found on sale. Hell at one point I got a deal that for 3 years I paid 10$ a year.

This was me just a week ago. I got an old beat up 360 from a friend and I bought mw3. Traded the beat up 360 at gamestop for the 250gb holiday bundle. Some Differences so far on hardware and apps:360 - got apps like youtube facebook and ufc and other ones - I love listening to music while I play Cod or Halo but to get your music files to the 360 hard drive you have to rip it from a cd - Ive heard people say the 360 owners use mics more than ps3 but its pretty much the same. The only difference is cross game chat but I havent messed with it yet. -the 360 has less options for display and audio only supports 5.1 sound -360 controller feels pretty good but I am going to need batteries -360 game updates are pretty small but big updates never bothered me on ps3 -360 gold membership u get the pros and cons for paying monthly/yearly for online -has kinect Ps3 differences: -I play ALL my media on ps3. Dvd, bluray, playing movies on a hard drive, and music. The ps3 has all the options you need for any home theater setup. -Ps3 has a web browser. Its not the best but I like taking a break from gaming to check CAG or sports scores. The reason I got a 360 is because of mw3 and i bought a kinect to go with it. Another big reason i bought a 360 was to buy games that had terrible ports on ps3 like rdr, bayonetta, and blackops(though blackops on ps3 runs pretty good now not like the first month of release). So if you can find a good deal on a 360(maybe less than 200) I say get it. If you cant find a deal i have a gut feeling a price drop is on the way.

XBL i great. Halo games are a big UP! (that did it for me when i was getting my 360) I think microsoft makes a bit more of a legit product.. I feel as if there was no attraction to the bluray player for me or spending a few more dollars on disc because of the format

Here would be my argument for the OP:
Mainly since you're an adult gamer you likely have limited options for social interaction. Therefore you may as well purchase another gaming machine in some attempt to justify your rather isolated existence. It's what we've all done. Join us.

It comes down to the games. I don't care about blu-ray because I have netflix, though it would have been nice for redbox so I could get some higher quality rentals. The 360 games appeal more to me and the only game I wish I could really play is Uncharted.

Anyways this year doesn't look like a lot of 360 exclusives, so far. I'm sure E3 will change that.

XBLA wise I think theres a lot of strong 360 content, but disc based wise games seems to go to the PC eventually. So far Gears of War 3, Halo Reach, Dance Central and Forza are the best exclusives out of the last few years. Alan Wake is going to PC, though I'm not sure whats going on with American Nightmare.

Heres a helpful list of exclusives. If your PC sucks then you can consider the games that are just 360 exclusive as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_exclusives_(seventh_generation)#Microsoft_Xbox_360

[quote name='dotCody'] I just found out that we had Cloud Storage for over half a year and it's more than 3 times the storage capacity than what that rip-off crap PS+ has.[/QUOTE]
cloud storage didnt come until the update stop the lies

[quote name='Corvin']- custom soundtracks
- cross game chat/parties/game invites which is never going to happen on a PS3
- console updates take 5 minutes vs. hours on the PS3
- game updates take about 10-30 seconds vs. hours on the PS3

- demos for ALL XBLA games and most retail games
- Installing games is 100% optional
- replaceable batteries in the controller (wires are best left in last gen)
- every console comes with a headset. No wondering if your teammate will have a mic.
- Then you have subtle things like better DLC support for games like Rock Band.
- companies press far more copies of 360 games which leads to quicker price drops and clearance finds, more used copies, etc.
- multi-platform titles tend to run better on the 360 as it is usually the lead platform(there are rare exceptions)
- Kinect and voice commands are coming along nicely but isn't perfect
- sales on point cards seem to happen more often than the PSN counterparts
- lots of weekly XBLA deals[/QUOTE]
You make some valid points, but the ones in bold are a little iffy.

I realize you say that PS3 updates take "hours" in jest, but come on... I don't think there's ever been an OS update that takes more than 10 minutes. Game updates are more on par with the 360. I really hope Sony gets their act together with updates on the PS4.

Optional installs or not, you should be installing whatever you're currently playing to your PS3/360's HDD out of the interest of performance/noise.

The headset that the 360 includes is a piece of garbage. It's appalling that they try to charge $20 for those that need an extra headset or two. There's also a good number of repeat sales on the 360.

The performance gap between 360 & PS3 ports has narrowed greatly over the past few years. Some devs have said it's much easier to use the PS3 as a lead (due to it's questionable hardware architecture design) and port to the 360 than the other way around.

If someone else has to convince you of making a $200+ purchase then you probably shouldn't make the purchase.

There is a compelling argument for anyone to buy any current generation system - they are dirt cheap. Hardware is inexpensive, but more importantly, if you're just getting into the system now, there are 5-6 years worth of quality games on the cheap. There's no wait time between successive games in a series, there are GOTY editions available and there's a large backlog of DLC content for the best games.

While I personally don't have any reason to buy a 360 as a PS3 and Wii owner, I can certainly see the draw in doing so. I got my PS3 over 3 years into the system's life cycle. I funded my gaming for probably 2 full years almost entirely through Goozex because the best games available were long since released and easily picked up through the game trading market. Since I've largely caught up with the market, now I buy the newest games, but if I hadn't waited so long to get my PS3, I'm confident I never would have gotten to play as many games as I have.

There's really no reason. The games are better on PS3 and the free online services beat Live without a doubt. What are you paying for, ads? I go by variety and exclusives so you'd be better off with a Wii for Nin's titles. Could not care less about fluff features so I'm not including movies or online TV stuff. Games only. Anyone saying otherwise just isn't informed enough. Granted I'm not thrilled with all of Sony's plans but at least the library helps me look past that. Meanwhile I've never seen anything attractive about the 360.

Wanted to add a few other things I've noticed with the 360 compared to the PS3:

The Good -

When downloading a demo on the PS3, you download the demo THEN you have to install it. With the Xbox, it's done in one step and is truly available when it reaches 100% complete.

When shutting down the Xbox, it turns off immediately. The PS3 takes more time.

I ordered the Plug n Play set with the rechargeable battery and cord and it works just like the PS3 except for one improvement: The Xbox cord is at least twice as long as the PS3 recharge cord so I don't have to sit very close to the TV while the controller is charging.

I still love using Kinect's vocal commands to navigate (another way to save battery life). I noticed this also works with Netflix and [I'm assuming] any video/music content you purchase on the Xbox.

The Bad -

Unfortunately, Kinect doesn't work with DVD playback.

The Netflix interface is annoying compared to the PS3 layout which actually looks like a menu. The 360 version has these giant icons taking up the screen. This is truly bad when you're about to finish watching a TV episode and these giant icons pop up beforehand. Very distracting.

I'm still not a fan of the image heavy icons on the dashboard which cause navigation to slow down at times. I could have sworn their interface use to look better than this. Meanwhile, the PS3 interface uses color and text and is much faster and easier to use.

This may also be the dashboard's fault but unless I'm missing something, I don't see many deals on games, videos, etc. The PS3 has all kinds of sales every week in its own screen and yet I can only find a few icons on the Xbox mentioning anything. To make matters worse, I don't know when new content is added.

I find it annoying yet funny how the buttons are the exact opposite of the SNES controller. Now when a prompt tells me to press Y, it's in a different spot than I'm use to; in addition, the X button is in a different place than it use to be on the SNES and the Playstation. Why couldn't they match the letters with the color of the button (blue is already B after all)?

The Home button is a little hard to push than the PS3 home button for it to properly work. Plus I don't like how you have to constantly use it to check on your downloads and read messages.

Yea you don't really need both at all. I fancy the layout of the PS3, very easy to use.
Besides, if you're like me and have both your computer and Console in the same room, there is no reason for all that extra crap on either system. The only things I ever do on my PS3 is chat with my friends (who aren't as privileged as I am) and play games. I have both systems, but I haven't touched the 360 since my brother brought it home 2 weeks ago. Mind I saying that we don't have games for it or live.

seriously, the Xbox is the most social system around. that's worth the price of admission. any system that let's you just hang out with your friends and play games is a good thing. the party chat feature alone is worth the cost of Xbox Live Gold. Sometimes I'll boot up the Xbox just to talk to people. No gaming involved. It's weird to see people just sit at the dash and talk but it happens all the time.

All your friends can be doing different things and still be able to chat with each other. One person can be watching Netflix, another can be playing Modern Warfare 3, another can be playing Gears of War 3, etc. and everyone can talk to each other. Even within the same game, it's worth it. Let's say you and your friends are playing Gears of War 2. Because of the party chat feature, you can talk the entire time you are at the dashboard or at the menus of the game, so you can discuss what game mode you can play, what map to play, etc.

Take a game like Rocksmith which has no online component and limited leaderboards. Rocksmith has no voice chat on the PS3. But because voice chat is integrated into Xbox Live, you can chat with each other at any time. my friend and I play Rocksmith together over Xbox Live through the party chat feature. We can talk back and forth about what song we're playing, how we're doing with so-and-so riff, etc. etc. During the ducks game, we're gabbing back and forth about how big our combo is, what our score is, etc. Really a cool feature and one of the defining features of Xbox Live.

I'm not a competitive person. I don't go online to play to get the most kills. I just want to chill with my friends while playing a game. If I wanted to play by myself or play in a virtual room filled by a bunch of strangers, I would stick to my legacy systems or play on the other systems. With the party chat feature, you never have to tolerate that anymore. You control who you want to listen to, who can listen to you, you can mute on an individual basis or on a global scale. No more dealing with 12 year old kids acting like 12 year old kids (apologies if you're 12!). Just listen and chat with your friends.

Gold isn't a bullet point kind of thing. It's a lifestyle. I could be trying out a demo and then while I'm playing it, I tell my friends in the party to go check out this cool new game and the whole group goes and downloads it. My friend tells me he just watched a cool vid in youtube and we go to youtube to watch it together. We can have a party and someone drops in, and everyone says hi. It's like being back in college where it's so easy to meet new people and just chill. No barriers. Just have fun.

The notion that the Xbox 360 is lacking exclusives is overplayed and incorrect. Whether or not those exclusives mean anything to you is another matter. For me, that means Culdcept Saga, VF5 On-Line, Deadly Premonition (English), Tales of Vesperia (English), DeathSmiles, DeathSmiles 2X, Raiden Fighters Ace, and a host of other shooters.

It includes all of the wonderful XBLA exclusives such as Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Trials HD, Pinball FX2 (more content than Zen), Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, 'Splosion Man, Shadow Complex, Geometry Wars, ilomilo, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and others along with the definitive versions of games like Radiant Silvergun, Rez, Guardian Heroes, and Ikaruga.

It means that absolute treasure trove that is XBLIG: Arkedo's PIXEL, Protect Me Knight, Apple Jack, Astroman, NYAN-TECH, Ninja 360, Hexement, Aesop's Garden, Didgery, Downtown SMASH Dodgeball, Score Rush, Moe Mekuri, Escape Goat, the Soulcaster games, and dozens upon dozens of other great gems which can mostly be had for $1 or 3.

I can count the times I've played games on-line with others on my hands. I don't enjoy FPS games at all. The 360 remains the definitive console of this generation for me with its abundance of inexpensive, solid downloadable games. One does not need a Gold subscription to enjoy these, but I still continue to subscribe since Gold can easily be had for $40 and Microsoft's weekly deals make up for the price in short order. Whether or not any of this appeals to the OP depends on his/her taste in games and assuming the query was made in earnest.

Another rarely mentioned feature on the 360 is none other than, xbox.com.

Since they launched the online marketplace, I never use the console marketplace. It lets me queue up demos, games, Rock Band tunes, etc. while I'm at work. When I get home, I turn on my console for about 2 minutes(long enough for the queue to load), then turn it back off. Log back in later that night and everything is ready to play.

Now if only they could figure out a way to skip that second step. I'd love to be able to remote power-up the console from work. For now a wife or girlfriend works just as well. :)

If you own a PS3 and not a 360... you're doing it wrong. The PS3 should only be purchased to compliment your existing Xbox 360. That is the way it should be. You're welcome.

Could NOT be more wrong. As I said there is nothing on the 360 that can't be done better on a superior platform. Yes even the Wii has more compelling software. If you want to chat, use the phone. The hype over this cross gaming stuff makes no sense. I'd never want people bothering me if we're not even in the same game. 360 has no variety or decent games that remain exclusive. If you wait a month or so for the kiddies to bugtest the games then the revised version will launch everywhere else. The moral of the story is it's cheap for a reason, at least initially until M$ nickel and dimes you for the remainder JUST so you can view ads. Sure the PS3's launch price was crazy, but the days of riding the anti-Sony train faded long ago. And due to their exclusives it's no longer cool to bash the Wii.

[quote name='DP2']Could NOT be more wrong. As I said there is nothing on the 360 that can't be done better on a superior platform. Yes even the Wii has more compelling software. If you want to chat, use the phone. The hype over this cross gaming stuff makes no sense. I'd never want people bothering me if we're not even in the same game. 360 has no variety or decent games that remain exclusive. If you wait a month or so for the kiddies to bugtest the games then the revised version will launch everywhere else. The moral of the story is it's cheap for a reason, at least initially until M$ nickel and dimes you for the remainder JUST so you can view ads. Sure the PS3's launch price was crazy, but the days of riding the anti-Sony train faded long ago. And due to their exclusives it's no longer cool to bash the Wii.[/QUOTE]

:imwithst::imwithst::imwithst::imwithst:

1. Yes, because chatting on the phone while playing a game is much more effective than using XBL. Just because you don't have people to play with online doesn't mean other people don't
2. Xbox has a pretty damn broad variety of exclusives, including Halo Reach, Gears of War 3 , Alan Wake, Ace Combat 6, Crackdown, Fable, Forza, Splinter Cell Conviction, Lost Odyssey, and more, which have all been critically acclaimed.
4. An Xbox 360 is cheaper than a PS3 at initial price, and paying for XBL Gold gets you a superior service than PSN (which pretty much all video review sites agree on)

Basically, you're just a troll :hot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Trolls are wrong so that's most certainly not me.

The phone is for chatting. It's one thing to chat with teammates and both offer that feature. To bother others with nonsense and not even play the same game if a game at all well that's no advantage. Hell I could use video chat on PSN for free when I'm not playing a game. Maybe you're just not serious about what you're playing.

Pssh, anything exclusive is a cookie cutter shooter. Variety is definitely not one of the 360's strong suits. I'm a collector and a long time gamer. I enjoy a large selection of genres except for MMO's, most fighters, and sports. Most sites will agree that PS3 has had the edge on exclusives and variety for 2 years now and likely 2012 too.

Is it really? Consider all it takes to make them equal. Charge kits, HDD's, an online ad subscription, might as well figure in money to replace it within a year (I doubt they fixed the RROD), the PS3 is pretty much ready to go out of the box. And plenty of trolls insist Live is better only because they're clueless. M$ throws you ads so they get twice the revenue. We already shot down the cross game chat. Security? Go read up on the FIFA/Live hack. The community at large is underage and big-mouthed. Another plus for PSN. Anything else?

I'm not saying Sony is flawless as I hate the uselessness of updating. I ONLY use it for games, nothing else. But as far as value for your money there's really no argument that 360 is dead last behind Wii, PS3, and PC. Probably the handhelds too. The OP wanted info and facts, so hopefully this helps.

I forsee having this problem in the distant future when MS shows off the next Xbox.It puts my PC plans somewhat on hold and not every game runs smoothly on PC.Still leaving me with the expensive proposition of PC/360(2).I also want a PS Vita for quick PAC-MAN CE sessions.In conclusion being a gamer is very expensive.

dont think exclusives, think social network. think a gamer version of skpee. think cheaper used games at gamestop. and think lower end type arcade games. thats the xbox

P3 think apps if you dont have a pc and 3rd party exclusives(they really are not like nintendo with their exclusive content they still got some stuff you cant get anywere else). I'm not really trying to bash or system war as i did really love the system at 1st. its just really the real killer for me is just i never had any friends that really use this past playing a exclusive. now i heard something about playstation + members getting even new games half price and freebies if you're lucky which if thats true i might use it more. but idk i just havnt used it much to bother with. :)

[quote name='DP2'] The OP wanted info and facts, so hopefully this helps.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Okay, I'll indulge...

[quote name='DP2']
The phone is for chatting. It's one thing to chat with teammates and both offer that feature. [/QUOTE]

Some of the grown ups have friends we game with. Some of those friends are married, have kids, etc. and don't get to go out as often anymore. Doing some chatting while gaming is a common occurence in the grown up gaming world. A headset is a hell of a lot easier to chat on than a phone while gaming. We all don't have the same taste in games, it's nice to still party up with friends and shoot the shit while gaming.

The only people that can turn cross game chat, invites and parties into a negative are people that don't get to take advantage of said features. They are easily some of the best features this generation.

[quote name='DP2']
Pssh, anything exclusive is a cookie cutter shooter.[/QUOTE]

As pointed out, entirely not true. It's just a stigma MS is never gonna shake given their two flagship franchises are shooters, (Halo & Gears), and honestly the only people that try and make that argument are PS3 fanboys. Both consoles have their strengths and weaknesses.

[quote name='DP2']
Is it really? Consider all it takes to make them equal. Charge kits, HDD's, an online ad subscription, might as well figure in money to replace it within a year (I doubt they fixed the RROD), the PS3 is pretty much ready to go out of the box. [/QUOTE]

Rechargeable AA batteries are more convenient than tethering a 3' cord to a console. Hard drives are included just like the PS3. RROD? I've personally had 4 repaired at a cost of $0. I'm currently sitting on a PS3 brick because Sony wants $150 to fix it. It was a $600 purchase. fuck that. Argument fail. :lol:

[quote name='DP2']And plenty of trolls insist Live is better only because they're clueless. M$ throws you ads so they get twice the revenue.[/QUOTE]

Ads suck, but they can get away with it because they know they have the superior service. Despite the ads and as an owner of both systems (well, prior to the PS3 becoming a brick), I'd still choose Live over PSN any day of the week. I doubt I'm alone in that sentiment. If $3 a month is too much for a superior online service then an expensive hobby like gaming may not be in your best interest.

Do you own a 360? Can you look at it objectively? I'm guessing the answer is "no" to both questions.

[quote name='DP2'] Security? Go read up on the FIFA/Live hack. [/QUOTE]

Did you not own a PS3 last year? :lol: Pot, meet kettle.

[quote name='DP2']The community at large is underage and big-mouthed. Another plus for PSN. Anything else? [/QUOTE]

Fact? Link for statistics?

Sure there is a larger pool of asshats but that's because every console comes with a microphone (added cost on PS3, btw). There are probably a half dozen tools built into the 360 to avoid the idiots including reporting them. No such luck on PSN.

[quote name='DP2']I ONLY use it for games, nothing else. But as far as value for your money there's really no argument that 360 is dead last behind Wii, PS3, and PC. Probably the handhelds too. [/QUOTE]

Only looking at the 360 for games, it's still the market leader in attach rate. Also since games routinely sell better on the 360, more are pressed. More pressed games equal more sales, clearanced titles and used copies for cheaper. If by "dead last" you mean "market leader" then you are 100% correct.

[quote name='DP2']The OP wanted info and facts, so hopefully this helps.[/QUOTE]

You succeeded in posting zero facts and in essence nothing more than hyperbole and rhetoric, two basic essentials for a forum troll.

Congratulations though, it was helpful in determining how you are going to fit in around here. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']:lol: Okay, I'll indulge...

Some of the grown ups have friends we game with. Some of those friends are married, have kids, etc. and don't get to go out as often anymore. Doing some chatting while gaming is a common occurence in the grown up gaming world. A headset is a hell of a lot easier to chat on than a phone while gaming. We all don't have the same taste in games, it's nice to still party up with friends and shoot the shit while gaming.

The only people that can turn cross game chat, invites and parties into a negative are people that don't get to take advantage of said features. They are easily some of the best features this generation.

As pointed out, entirely not true. It's just a stigma MS is never gonna shake given their two flagship franchises are shooters, (Halo & Gears), and honestly the only people that try and make that argument are PS3 fanboys. Both consoles have their strengths and weaknesses.

Rechargeable AA batteries are more convenient than tethering a 3' cord to a console. Hard drives are included just like the PS3. RROD? I've personally had 4 repaired at a cost of $0. I'm currently sitting on a PS3 brick because Sony wants $150 to fix it. It was a $600 purchase. fuck that. Argument fail. :lol:

Ads suck, but they can get away with it because they know they have the superior service. Despite the ads and as an owner of both systems (well, prior to the PS3 becoming a brick), I'd still choose Live over PSN any day of the week. I doubt I'm alone in that sentiment. If $3 a month is too much for a superior online service then an expensive hobby like gaming may not be in your best interest.

Do you own a 360? Can you look at it objectively? I'm guessing the answer is "no" to both questions.

Fact? Link for statistics?

Sure there is a larger pool of asshats but that's because every console comes with a microphone (added cost on PS3, btw). There are probably a half dozen tools built into the 360 to avoid the idiots including reporting them. No such luck on PSN.

Only looking at the 360 for games, it's still the market leader in attach rate. Also since games routinely sell better on the 360, more are pressed. More pressed games equal more sales, clearanced titles and used copies for cheaper. If by "dead last" you mean "market leader" then you are 100% correct.

You succeeded in posting zero facts and in essence nothing more than hyperbole and rhetoric, two basic essentials for a forum troll.

Congratulations though, it was helpful in determining how you are going to fit in around here. :lol:[/QUOTE]

+1 to this, troll gets owned :applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='Corvin']
[/QUOTE]

I will say, at least Sony admitted the problem, fixed the problem and compensated users.

This rash of Xbox hackings isn't as wide spread, so I don't expect them to take the network down etc, but my customer service experience with my hacked account is the worst CS I've ever experienced. See the stickied thread in this forum for details.

As much as I loved my 360 before this experience, I'm hesitant to recommend one to anyone now after how I've been treated by MS customer service.

To all your other points, I agree whole heartedly. As noted, I loved my 360 experience for all the reason you note before this hacking experience.

Looking at the other responses here and elsewhere though, customer service has been solid and improving as more cases pop up. Your case sounds like the odd duck that slipped through the cracks.

I feel for you because no one here would want to be in your shoes, but it's gonna happen and I can't blame you for it leaving a sour taste in your mouth.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I will say, at least Sony admitted the problem, fixed the problem and compensated users.

This rash of Xbox hackings isn't as wide spread, so I don't expect them to take the network down etc, but my customer service experience with my hacked account is the worst CS I've ever experienced. See the stickied thread in this forum for details.

As much as I loved my 360 before this experience, I'm hesitant to recommend one to anyone now after how I've been treated by MS customer service.

To all your other points, I agree whole heartedly. As noted, I loved my 360 experience for all the reason you note before this hacking experience.[/QUOTE]

From what I've heard and from my personal experience, MS support is fairly good. The phone chat guys aren't outsourced, and actively try to help you and are polite and try to make small talk. Online chat has a quick response time and they're pretty cool too. From what I've read about what happened to you, foreign account migrations are difficult, partly because of international laws and stuff, although I have to admit, 3 months is excessive, however there response time about account hackings has greatly improved recently, and they've fixed the glitch on xbox.com And support not noticing your account got banned, everybody has slip-ups sometimes, and they should quickly get it unbanned.

It's not really the odd duck other than the banning issue. All the foreign migration cases have taken 3+ months for people to get back.

The only thing they've sped up are the cases where people just had points spent. They've hired more people (the MS corporate rep I've been working with told me that) and are turning those cases around in 3-7 days now.

I will say, they did fix the foreign migration issue by totally disabling that option. They'd added it so people in countries that just got Live could migrate their accounts from whatever countries they were in before their country had Live. But it got abused in these hackings so now there is no option to migrate account (even yourself) if you move countries etc.

So they have taken steps to rectify some of the problems. But they were really slow in doing so. These hackings started in July/August and it wasn't until early this month that they started speeding up the simple cases.

[quote name='MrPiggles'] And support not noticing your account got banned, everybody has slip-ups sometimes, and they should quickly get it unbanned.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't a slip up in the sense that they didn't notice it was banned. They were aware it was banned.

The enforcement just saw the violation (trying to steal other accounts) occured before the day I reported my account was compromised. They apparently weren't smart enough to realize the hacker could have had control of my account for who knows how long before I became aware of it and reported it as you only get an e-mail when they migrate it. So they could have used it for a while to steal other accounts, and then spent the points and migrated it to Russia.

I know shit happens, and there are always cases where customer service sucks in isolated incidents like this. But I'm not a very forgiving person when it comes to getting poor service from a store or corporation. I don't part with my hard earned money easily, and I'm not going to keep giving it to a company that provides poor service.

[quote name='Corvin']Congratulations though, it was helpful in determining how you are going to fit in around here. :lol:[/QUOTE]Won't be an issue going forward in how they fit in around here, as they were the return of a previously banned user.

I don't think you'll be getting any responses from this point forward.

[quote name='shrike4242']Won't be an issue going forward in how they fit in around here, as they were the return of a previously banned user.

I don't think you'll be getting any responses from this point forward.[/QUOTE]

Haha, the mods here are awesome.

Anyway, the reason my PS3 collects dust most of the time is because of my Xbox 360.

- Better and more accessible online interface
- Demos for every game
- Party chat
- Beacons & activities
- Easier to compare profiles, send all kinds of messages, and compare/load achievements
- Auto syncing achievements
- Easier to browse marketplace
- Apps
- Able to transfer profiles
- Can play your own tracks in-game
- Better controller for everything except fighting games (but I have a Hori EX for that)
- XBLA which has the best digital offering on consoles (I love Steam, too).
- I love me some Halo!

More, too, but that's alot for being off the top of my head.

Also it just feels overall more secure. I won't get hacked because I'm not stupid enough to get phished, i.e, EA.

Not owning an Xbox this gen is inexcusable.

[quote name='Corvin']Some of the grown ups have friends we game with. Some of those friends are married, have kids, etc. and don't get to go out as often anymore. Doing some chatting while gaming is a common occurence in the grown up gaming world. A headset is a hell of a lot easier to chat on than a phone while gaming. We all don't have the same taste in games, it's nice to still party up with friends and shoot the shit while gaming.

The only people that can turn cross game chat, invites and parties into a negative are people that don't get to take advantage of said features. They are easily some of the best features this generation.[/QUOTE]

I know you pointed out a lot of crap in that post, but cross game chat and parties are "easily some of of the best features this generation"? Really?

My gamer friends (all adults, many have kids) all communicate via phone, text and email. Chatting on videogame consoles (whichever console) is something that always seemed reserved for little kids who either didn't have or couldn't afford cell phones.

[quote name='blindinglights']I know you pointed out a lot of crap in that post, but cross game chat and parties are "easily some of of the best features this generation"? Really?

My gamer friends (all adults, many have kids) all communicate via phone, text and email. Chatting on videogame consoles (whichever console) is something that always seemed reserved for little kids who either didn't have or couldn't afford cell phones.[/QUOTE]

Just because you've never used and thus don't understand the usefulness of party chat doesn't make it any less so.

At some point, people were saying why do we need Facebook, Google Voice, Twitter, cell phones, email, ATMs, etc. Why have cameras on cell phones that are vastly inferior to full featured cameras?

There are always lesser alternatives to any given choice, but why do we have to compromise? You get what you pay for. You want a cheap service? You have plenty of options. You want a good full service, you pay for it. $3/month for a quality service breaking your bank? Don't use it. That's the law of economics.

[quote name='blindinglights']
My gamer friends (all adults, many have kids) all communicate via phone, text and email. Chatting on videogame consoles (whichever console) is something that always seemed reserved for little kids who either didn't have or couldn't afford cell phones.[/QUOTE]

How convenient is chatting with 4 people at the same time via text, email or phone? It's not.

There's a huge difference in carrying on a live conversation with real human beings while gaming over the options you listed. It's basically captures that couch gaming even though we're all on separate couches miles apart.

Simple question... do you use Live on a regular basis?

If you don't plan on signing up for Xbox Live Gold, then just stick with your PS3. I own both consoles, but the only time I seem to use my PS3 is when I want to play first party titles.

[quote name='Corvin']How convenient is chatting with 4 people at the same time via text, email or phone? It's not.

There's a huge difference in carrying on a live conversation with real human beings while gaming over the options you listed. It's basically captures that couch gaming even though we're all on separate couches miles apart.

Simple question... do you use Live on a regular basis?[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, I have no console bias. I have no interest in the main topic of this thread. I'm not on any PS3 vs. 360 bit, I have both and enjoy playing online with both.

I just found it odd that you had an almost condescending way about saying "chatting on game consoles is for us grown folks" and my experience with playing online with my real life, adult gamer friends (about 30 people, admittedly not the largest sample, but I'm not referencing a friend list with 2 people either) has been the exact opposite. Usually along the lines of "Use a headset? What am I, thirteen? Just call my phone."

The only reason I ever took the headset out of the Xbox 360 package was because my 11 year old cousin likes to play games with me from time to time and he likes to use it.

[quote name='blindinglights']Just to clarify, I have no console bias. I have no interest in the main topic of this thread. I'm not on any PS3 vs. 360 bit, I have both and enjoy playing online with both.

I just found it odd that you had an almost condescending way about saying "chatting on game consoles is for us grown folks" and my experience with playing online with my real life, adult gamer friends (about 30 people, admittedly not the largest sample, but I'm not referencing a friend list with 2 people either) has been the exact opposite. Usually along the lines of "Use a headset? What am I, thirteen? Just call my phone."

The only reason I ever took the headset out of the Xbox 360 package was because my 11 year old cousin likes to play games with me from time to time and he likes to use it.[/QUOTE]
You aren't fooling anyone.

[quote name='blindinglights']Just to clarify, I have no console bias. I have no interest in the main topic of this thread. I'm not on any PS3 vs. 360 bit, I have both and enjoy playing online with both.

The only reason I ever took the headset out of the Xbox 360 package was because my 11 year old cousin likes to play games with me from time to time and he likes to use it.[/QUOTE]

Well, that's YOU.

I'm constantly in a party with up to 8 friends, some of us playing different games, chatting about how our days were or about games. It's a daily ritual for me.

And nobody would be calling threeway/fourway+ with their friends while playing even the same game in a clan match, let alone bullshitting in various different games. So I don't understand why you mention your personal anecdotal evidence as a contrast to what everyone is saying.

Just sayin'!

Also, say you're playing with friends you've only made online... well, why would they have your number, anyway?

Anyway, all this is besides the point.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Almost everything. And I am not being a dick, I have both platforms and I can go months without every even thinking about turning on my PS3.

XBL is simply better in every way, friends list that are quick and easy, the ability to drop in and out of others games quick and easy, group chat functions, kinect intergration is coming along nicely. The apps are working well but the PS3 has a full browser so you got most of that already. Plus very little fear of getting hacked.

Some of those things the PS3 might actually have by now, like I said I barely turn mine on and I kinda feel bad that I got it.[/QUOTE]

Well I think it depends. I liked my PS3 far better than my Xbox, one of reasons is probably because I have more friends who own a PS3. Netflix app works very well. Online is free, I used to have Xbox live, but to use Netflix I'd need Live? That's ridiculous! Anyways every man for himself!

[quote name='infamy']Well, that's YOU.

I'm constantly in a party with up to 8 friends, some of us playing different games, chatting about how our days were or about games. It's a daily ritual for me.

And nobody would be calling threeway/fourway+ with their friends while playing even the same game in a clan match, let alone bullshitting in various different games. So I don't understand why you mention your personal anecdotal evidence as a contrast to what everyone is saying.

Just sayin'!

Also, say you're playing with friends you've only made online... well, why would they have your number, anyway?

Anyway, all this is besides the point.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to contrast what everyone is saying or suggest that my experience is the norm. I just found Corvin's blanket statement to be strange considering my radically different experience with my friends.

I've read about why XBL is better than PSN on here dozens of times, but I've always just read it and thought "what's the big deal about chat?" I wish PSN was faster like XBL, but the chat stuff never really made a bit of difference to me. I can't imagine having a party chat with 8 friends at once because the people I know come from a variety of different places and don't all know each other. Not to mention between them working, doing research, or taking care of kids rarely are many on at the same times.

I guess I've just been oblivious to how much of a big deal the social features added by this console generation are to some gamers. Never paid much attention to it before reading Corvin's post that said he believed game chat is one of the best features of this generation. That was pretty surprising to me (hence the "Really?").

Understandable, I suppose.

But remember, party chat/x-game isn't the most requested/wished for feature on the PSblog for no reason.

I have the three systems. Kinect, and Move.

Wii Gets the lest amount of usage.

Xbox comes in second I like Gears, Forza and Alan Wake.

I do not like the triggers on the xb controller to much. I really do not like the Ads on the desktop when I am paying for live. I think the Kinect is kinda Lame. The Voice commands Seem dumb, and the Waving hand to Navigate I can do better and Faster with the controller. The Kinect in forza Autovista I guess is a Neat Idea but the only real thing I see kinect is good for is Dancing and Exercising (not that I Do much of either). Cross game chat? Never done it don't see a need for it. Custom Songs Never do it. But I can hook my iPod to my MixAmp if i wished.

Xbox Live vs PSN. No real Difference to me both work just fine (but one is free)

The Ps3 get Most of my attention. Uncharted, Infamous, Little big planet, Heavy Rain, God of war, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter. Are some of the games that keep me on the PS3. No ads on Dashboard and a much cleaner look to me. I Like the Move for Games such as House of the Dead, Time crises and Tiger woods.

Batteries in the controllers of the PS3 Seem to Last longer then the Xb Play n Charge deal.
The play and charge cable is far longer then the included USB with the PS3. But you can get a Long usb cable cheap if you wish it is a Standard usb Cable for ps3

The Disc drive in the Ps3 is Quieter.

I really do dig the Touch sensitive buttons on the Xbox. I wish the ps3 would have kept them from the Fat ps3

The last thing I can think of is when I am chatting on XBlive I need to add an extra cable. I have to run a cable from my 360 Controller to the MixAmp. Not a big deal but still.

All of My Negative points are Minor. but some of them just kinda bug me. If i could only have One system it would be a PS3.

Both of my Xbox and PS3 are the slim models.

Like Some others said If you can afford it with out missing Dinner go ahead and get an Xbox it is nice to have the options. Because if you see the same game on sale some where and it is cheaper on the Xbox the ps3 or other way around you are covered.

[quote name='blindinglights']
I just found it odd that you had an almost condescending way about saying "chatting on game consoles is for us grown folks" [/QUOTE]

To be fair, that was specifically directed at the troll that is no longer here, thus my post sticks out like a sore thumb now. It was never intended as a blanket statement towards anyone.

[quote name='infamy']
But remember, party chat/x-game isn't the most requested/wished for feature on the PSblog for no reason.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Sony has already come out and stated it's not possible on PS3(after stringing everyone along for 4-5 years first), but you bet your ass it's the first feature they take into account when designing the PS4.

I didn't intend for "party chat/cross game invites" to be such a lightning rod. :lol: I think it's one of those things that xbox gamers have had for so long that it's just taken for granted at this point, and anyone that doesn't have Live just can't appreciate.

[quote name='dotCody']You aren't fooling anyone.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Exclusives. The rest is just icing on the cake.

It all depends on what you like. If you have a lot of friends with 360s and play online a lot to get the most out of that $60 Gold membership, then a 360 would be a good idea.

Being an owner of all the consoles I must say the 360 does do everything very quick. From updating games to downloading them, to accessing your friends list to even installing firmware updates. The hard drive on the 360 feels like a solid state drive, where the PS3 one is like a clunky 5400rpm value drive. Sony would give people a much better experience if they would just open up the bandwidth for patches and game downloads, and if they would have put more RAM in their console.

That being said, you'll be hard pressed to find exclusives you can't live without on the 360. Although this year is looking good for XBLA.

As far as the Wii goes, I just find that I prefer playing games in my office over the living room. So in my case the Wii doesn't get very much attention because of that. It's also standard def so all the games look old & jaggy. If neither one of those things bother you, you may want to consider getting a Wii down the road. At least for me playing my childhood classics and Nintendo franchise games is just good fun.

[quote name='DANNY2582']Just curious , im looking to by a console to game on untill the next gens come out, ive owned an x box YEARS ago and had a ps3 for a year untill it broke this past summer. I like all types of games . Having trouble picking one console or the other being that theres so many games on both systems i have yet to play.I only have a friend or 2 on each console (most of my friends arent really gamers) So im considering getting both but my dilema would be then , which system to buy games for that are multi platform. Dont know what to do, Please help.. Lol[/QUOTE]

You know, you could just actually read the thread right?

bread's done
Back