As a ps3 owner, make some arguments on why I should also have a 360

I have a Xbox, you have to pay for everything, and it really sucks. But the points system is better than a cash card, although Xbox Live is probably going to get rid of points cards and move to a cash system as well.

You have to pay $60 a year for Live (yeah right, its always on sale!) if you want to use Netflix, Hulu Plus, cross game chat and youtube, verizon fios TV, and playing online with others. Youtube sucks on the 360, don't even bother, just go on your PC for it. It doesn't work for me, but I am a very specific type of youtube user, so it may work for other people. The only things you can do as a silver or free member is download things from the marketplace including demo's and connect to live.

Achievement system is very good, but it is also very love or hate. Its VERY difficult to get all achievements on most games, so keep that in mind. Every game seems to have one impossible achievement. Also you will need 4 controllers and Xbox Live Gold for some achievements. If you are a completionist then you won't want to give up a game until you have gotten every achievement, which can cause extreme frustration and problems.

No one plays anything online except for the super popular games, so if you are playing Halo or Call of Duty or Battlefield you are in luck, but if you want to play something else, good luck finding people to play with.

Pinball FX 2 is however worth it alone for XBox, I have no idea if this game is on other platforms but I doubt it, but its the best experience I have had on the console yet.

Retail-release Games are cheaper on the Xbox in general and more readily available, Xbox Live arcade has lots of sales, but you can only access those sales if you pay for a gold membership.

The Wii gets used the least here, which should be obvious, its just lacking in so many ways. But its cheap now, so if you want one used get it off ebay. A lot of the good games are down in price too. The biggest fault with Nintendo is they allow cheaters online so if you intend to play online be prepared for that, and the fact that also, as the same with Xbox, no one plays anything but the most popular games online. Digital games on the Wii don't ever go on sale, and they aren't tied to a central account, so if your Wii breaks you can never get your games back, they are lost for good. The perk here is that netflix is free to use on Wii and online is also free, so if you can live with a non-HD netflix, a Wii might be worth the investment for that alone especially considering how cheap WIi's will become after the Wii U is released. The Wii also has Hulu Plus now. I am not a big fan of Nintendo games especially Mario, but if you like them, so be it, but I find Nintendo games and their rubberband AI nothing but a frustrating experience. If you have a Wii as your only console, you will miss out on mostly everything available on the other platforms, however if you jumped in early with Xbox 360 you were most likely plagued with RROD, a really lovely situation there. But even with that being said, I would not go through another gen with Nintendo's console as my only console.... Its really only good for first party games and the very occasional 3rd party game.

Both the Xbox and Wii are lacking in RPG's, if you like RPG's I suggest a handheld like the DS or PSP, you will find plenty there.

I don't own a PS3, but from what I have seen the games seem expensive, and not as commonly found as XBox games. You will pay more on the PS3 for the same game on the XBox 360. It does have more RPG's, but not the mass amount that the handhelds have. Also has Blu Ray playback, which the Xbox does not have, nor does the Wii. The price of a decent Blu Ray player is quickly approaching the price of a PS3, so in my book if you want a Blu Ray player, you may as well just grab a PS3 and get all the extra features of it that Blu Ray players do not have. They were $199 this past Black Friday, and I expect them to be the same price or cheaper for BF 2012.

Blu Ray players seem to be a pretty big scam, as most of them are very cheap but require a proprietary wifi adapter that the maker of the player would be happy to sell you for an additional $75-80 on top of the player cost. Most player's don't come with built in wifi, so in order to not fall for this get a PS3! If you have a TV with limited ports like I do buying a PS3 as your Blu Ray player would also save ports, if you decide you want a Blu Ray and PS3 at different times.

[quote name='SaraAB']I have a Xbox, you have to pay for everything, and it really sucks. But the points system is better than a cash card, although Xbox Live is probably going to get rid of points cards and move to a cash system as well.

You have to pay $60 a year for Live (yeah right, its always on sale!) if you want to use Netflix, Hulu Plus, cross game chat and youtube, verizon fios TV, and playing online with others. Youtube sucks on the 360, don't even bother, just go on your PC for it. It doesn't work for me, but I am a very specific type of youtube user, so it may work for other people. The only things you can do as a silver or free member is download things from the marketplace including demo's and connect to live.

Achievement system is very good, but it is also very love or hate. Its VERY difficult to get all achievements on most games, so keep that in mind. Every game seems to have one impossible achievement. Also you will need 4 controllers and Xbox Live Gold for some achievements. If you are a completionist then you won't want to give up a game until you have gotten every achievement, which can cause extreme frustration and problems.

No one plays anything online except for the super popular games, so if you are playing Halo or Call of Duty or Battlefield you are in luck, but if you want to play something else, good luck finding people to play with.

Digital games on the Wii don't ever go on sale, and they aren't tied to a central account, so if your Wii breaks you can never get your games back, they are lost for good.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. Our experiences are very different. You don't have to pay for everything. That's complete hyperbole. Youtube is great on Xbox because it handles buffering much better than a PC and it defaults to HD videos rather than having to click on a button to switch it to 720P or 1080P. There is some missing functionality in the Xbox version and it won't show all the videos that you can see on a PC (Youtube classifies the Xbox as a mobile device so only videos allowable on a mobile device will show on the 360) but the ability to see a nice HD version on a big screen HDTV is just so nice.

Achievements are meant to be achievements. If they're all easy achievements, they wouldn't be achievements. You play a game for the enjoyment of the game and the story. Achievements are to play a game with style and to provide additional goals. It still amazes me that people depend on achievements to get fun out of a game. You can find people playing online in most games, not just the popular ones. I still see people trying to join my games in old things like Burnout Revenge or Rainbow Six Vegas. I even found people to play with Virtua Tennis 3 or with Ridge Racer 6.

I've received a number of Wii digital games for free. The latest was Dr. Mario Online RX.

A few of my favorites, which are Xbox exclusives (I'm omitting multiplatform obviously :booty:):

Retail Titles
  • Alan Wake (new IP surprised everyone)
  • Mass Effect series (mainly first game & import option)
  • Crackdown (this little Halo Beta tie in is tons of fun, basically Robocop:The Game)
  • Dance Central games (can't believe how much I like it/good party game)
  • Halo series (Halo was the reason I picked up an original Xbox, I even liked Halo Wars)
  • Fable series (love the humor and art style)
  • Forza series (quality sim racing games with great value)
  • Gears of War series (Epic Games man, also horde mode ftw)
  • Kameo (why oh why didn't we get a sequel)
  • Kinect Sports games (fun active games/good party games)
  • Lost Odyssey (love the story and not usually into JRPGs)
  • Project Gotham Racing (my arcade racing fav/ great with the wheel)
  • The Outfit (under-appreciated title imo)
  • Viva Pinata (if you're a fan of Rare and fun)
Arcade Titles
  • Assault Heroes (great to solo, even better co-op)
  • Bomberman Live (ever since I played Bomberman on SNES...)
  • Carcassonne (fun little strategy board game)
  • Catan (good strategy game)
  • Geometry Wars (arcade best hit/friend leaderboards)
  • Hexic HD (orig came with system, good puzzle game)
  • Keflings series (nice way to feel active in a city building sim)
  • Pac Man CE (perfect way to play Pac-Man, modernized)
  • Pinball FX2 (pinball fun, hours upon hours played, integrated friend leaderboards addictive)
  • Shadow Complex (metroidvania formula is great)
  • Trials HD (challenging, instant replay level gameplay & brutal in the hard lvls)
  • UNO (community game, good party or live game)

[quote name='Spybreak8']A few of my favorites, which are Xbox exclusives (I'm omitting multiplatform obviously :booty:):

Arcade Titles
  • Assault Heroes (great to solo, even better co-op)
  • Bomberman Live (ever since I played Bomberman on SNES...)
  • Carcassonne (fun little strategy board game)
  • Catan (good strategy game)
  • Geometry Wars (arcade best hit/friend leaderboards)
  • Hexic HD (orig came with system, good puzzle game)
  • Keflings series (nice way to feel active in a city building sim)
  • Pac Man CE (perfect way to play Pac-Man, modernized)
  • Pinball FX2 (pinball fun, hours upon hours played, integrated friend leaderboards addictive)
  • Shadow Complex (metroidvania formula is great)
  • Trials HD (challenging, instant replay level gameplay & brutal in the hard lvls)
  • UNO (community game, good party or live game)
[/QUOTE]

If you're omitting multiplatform games (assuming the goal is to list 360 games that are completely unique and exclusive) you'll need to remove these titles,

Pac Man CE (PS3 has DX edition which is the same game - PSP has the original game listed as a mini)

Pinball FX2 (PS3 has nearly all the same tables by Zen)

and Uno (Different developer, same game)

Edit:
Bomberman Live
(I doubt battlefest edition is much different, it's improved if anything)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='raistlin']If you're omitting multiplatform games (assuming the goal is to list 360 games that are completely unique and exclusive) you'll need to remove these titles,

Pac Man CE (PS3 has DX edition which is the same game - PSP has the original game listed as a mini)

[/QUOTE]

Actually, Pac Man CE is the original. DX is the sequel version.

I don't see what the big deal about exclusives. And I don't see why people get offended when games are no longer exclusive to a platform (like the outcry when Final Fantasy came to Xbox). To me, if you're a fan of a game, I'd think you'd want more people to be able to experience it. Like I loved Child of Eden and was really happy that a PS3 version came out so that more people could play it.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Actually, Pac Man CE is the original. DX is the sequel version.
[/QUOTE]

Again my point was, if the point is to list unique exclusives you won't find on another console, those games need to be omitted. The DX version is indeed the same game with more features.

[quote name='dirtyvu']Wow. Our experiences are very different. You don't have to pay for everything. That's complete hyperbole. Youtube is great on Xbox because it handles buffering much better than a PC and it defaults to HD videos rather than having to click on a button to switch it to 720P or 1080P. There is some missing functionality in the Xbox version and it won't show all the videos that you can see on a PC (Youtube classifies the Xbox as a mobile device so only videos allowable on a mobile device will show on the 360) but the ability to see a nice HD version on a big screen HDTV is just so nice.

Achievements are meant to be achievements. If they're all easy achievements, they wouldn't be achievements. You play a game for the enjoyment of the game and the story. Achievements are to play a game with style and to provide additional goals. It still amazes me that people depend on achievements to get fun out of a game. You can find people playing online in most games, not just the popular ones. I still see people trying to join my games in old things like Burnout Revenge or Rainbow Six Vegas. I even found people to play with Virtua Tennis 3 or with Ridge Racer 6.

I've received a number of Wii digital games for free. The latest was Dr. Mario Online RX.[/QUOTE]

Youtube videos only seemed to look worse on my HDTV, that and I wasn't able to go to a username and look at all the videos under a username. If I want less videos and worse quality plus requiring a gold subscription then I will head for youtube on the Xbox 360. Also there is no sidebar, so you can't get related videos, which for me is where I find all the good stuff. If I am going to spend time on youtube looking for the good stuff, then I want the full youtube on my PC, not half of it or 25% of it.

I only provided one view of the achievements situation, but its quite possible to play your games as normal and completely ignore all achievements. But a lot of people feel like if they buy a game they should be milking it for all its worth when it comes to achievement points.

[quote name='SaraAB']Youtube videos only seemed to look worse on my HDTV, that and I wasn't able to go to a username and look at all the videos under a username. If I want less videos and worse quality plus requiring a gold subscription then I will head for youtube on the Xbox 360. Also there is no sidebar, so you can't get related videos, which for me is where I find all the good stuff. If I am going to spend time on youtube looking for the good stuff, then I want the full youtube on my PC, not half of it or 25% of it.

I only provided one view of the achievements situation, but its quite possible to play your games as normal and completely ignore all achievements. But a lot of people feel like if they buy a game they should be milking it for all its worth when it comes to achievement points.[/QUOTE]

actually, you do get related videos. and you can search by username. type in "onlysublime -sublime" (just the stuff within the quotes and I had to type -sublime in order to remove hits to the group Sublime) and you'll get my videos in my channel. Again, it's not as feature complete as a PC, but it's not 25% of the PC either. and the video quality and buffering abilities is above the PC.

[quote name='raistlin']Again my point was, if the point is to list unique exclusives you won't find on another console, those games need to be omitted. The DX version is indeed the same game with more features.[/QUOTE]

Nah they're two different games.

[quote name='raistlin']Again my point was, if the point is to list unique exclusives you won't find on another console, those games need to be omitted. The DX version is indeed the same game with more features.[/QUOTE]

LOL. That's like saying Uncharted 3 is the same game as Uncharted 2 but with more features.

They're different games. DX is the sequel. Quit while you're behind...

[quote name='dirtyvu']LOL. That's like saying Uncharted 3 is the same game as Uncharted 2 but with more features.

They're different games. DX is the sequel. Quit while you're behind...[/QUOTE]

Did you just compare Uncharted to something like Pac-Man? :whistle2:k Wow, just wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone say Pac-Man: CE and DX are the same game? :rofl: Not even.

Anyone can get a great run on DX with some practice(there's one clear path). Only Pac-philes can top the leaderboards on CE because it requires more skill. Check you own leaderboards and compare with friends. You will see people that absolutely sucked at CE posting top tier scores on DX. Both are great games, but they are very different. Unless, of course, we are boiling it down to a yellow circle who eats things, then yes you would be correct, they are the same game.

Here's something else I noticed that the 360 does better than PS3: If you buy a video from Zune Marketplace, you can watch it right away. On PSN, you would have to wait for the download to finish before watching the whole thing. On XBox, you can stream it and download it to your hard drive whenever you want. The stream quality isn't the best though but I'm guessing it varies depending on your connection speed.

What's the point of this thread if the OP hasn't posted in two months and seems to not need anybody's help any more? Just arguing back and forth about what's better or worse?

bread's done
Back