Assassin's Creed 2 PC $46.99 - Good deal since MSRP is $60

fuck this game...It's just as bad as the first one. Frustrating, too long, terribly told story. They "listened" to the gamers about the repetitiveness, and instead put so much crap into the game that it's not even fun. Everything is just mediocre. Nothing is great. Not worth owning, rental - yes. But do not buy it, there are better games out there for PC, and not being able to trade it in makes this a stupid buy.

Can't believe I bought this for $54...

[quote name='Scorch']yep, msrp on the pc version is $50[/QUOTE]

nope, the msrp is $59.99 just like the consoles.
The pre-order places haven't figured it out yet.

[quote name='Sashka']fuck this game...It's just as bad as the first one. Frustrating, too long, terribly told story. They "listened" to the gamers about the repetitiveness, and instead put so much crap into the game that it's not even fun. Everything is just mediocre. Nothing is great. Not worth owning, rental - yes. But do not buy it, there are better games out there for PC, and not being able to trade it in makes this a stupid buy.

Can't believe I bought this for $54...[/QUOTE]
meh, the consensus is that the 2nd one is better, in a lot of ways.

[quote name='helluvagood']meh, the consensus is that the 2nd one is better, in a lot of ways.[/QUOTE]

May be so, but considering how horrific the first one was, it's not saying much. AC 1 was one of the worst games I've played this generation. The frustrating thing was not how bad it was, but how many people were willing to look past that and still say it was good..WHAT THE HELL? How can anyone think that it was a good game?

Has the world gone mad?

I'm sorry, I'm having one of those "I hate the world days." But still, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Don't encourage terrible game developers to make more terrible games.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I'm not so sure about that $50 MSRP...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177707

Could be a mistake in game journalism (happens a lot), but if that's true...oof.[/QUOTE]

I don't know. Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart all list the price at around $50.

Of course, with more than a month until release, I suppose they could adjust the price if it's wrong. In that case, it still wouldn't be a bad idea to go with Amazon since they have their pre-order price guarantee (which would mean you would still get it for $46.99 even if the price raises). Not sure if other retailers do the same as I rarely pre-order anything.

Personally, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see it be $60. I think a lot of developers have really been champing at the bit to have PC games sell for the same price as 360/PS3 games. With CoD:MW2 still being wildly successful despite the higher price, I'd bet we see a few other games take a gamble to see if they can get the extra $10 out of the PC audience as well.

[quote name='Sashka']fuck this game...It's just as bad as the first one. Frustrating, too long, terribly told story. They "listened" to the gamers about the repetitiveness, and instead put so much crap into the game that it's not even fun. Everything is just mediocre. Nothing is great. Not worth owning, rental - yes. But do not buy it, there are better games out there for PC, and not being able to trade it in makes this a stupid buy.

damn really? i mean everyone is entitled to there opinion, but like someone else said, its generally considered to be the complete opposite. it was one of the best games i played last year, and everyone i know had the same opinion.

Retail price will be $60, those of you quoting different retailer websites are quoting what those retailers assumed it would sell for. It's been confirmed by multiple, reputable gaming sites that the PC edition will be $60 and include both DLC's that are coming out soon for 360 & PS3.

This isn't the first time retailers have been wrong about a game's pricing, so I would order now before Amazon updates the price. If anything, you can always cancel it later since they don't charge you until it ships.

Source - http://kotaku.com/5456656/assassins-creed-ii-pc-priced-dated-and-specd

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/25/assassins-creed-2-pc-specs-date-revealed/

The original Assassin's Creed port improved on a number of aspects in the original console launch and boosted the graphics, with that in mind, I'm not too worried about the PC port. If anything, the fact that it wasn't a simultaneous release is probably a very good thing, when it comes to PC versions of console games.

I still have the pc version preordered back before it was delayed and when they were offering the $10 future credit. hope i still get it..

Indeed. There have been a number of PC ports that were definitely clear improvements over their console counterparts. One I know of is The Last Remnant. On the 360 was a slow, choppy mess. The PC version, though, fixed most of those problems. There's still some texture issues, but it's still the far superior version.

Stopped reading at "too long."

I would reccomend against buying it until user reviews start coming in of the PC version. Ubi has a poor track record of recent console->PC ports.

[quote name='Sashka']May be so, but considering how horrific the first one was, it's not saying much. AC 1 was one of the worst games I've played this generation. The frustrating thing was not how bad it was, but how many people were willing to look past that and still say it was good..WHAT THE HELL? How can anyone think that it was a good game?

Has the world gone mad?

I'm sorry, I'm having one of those "I hate the world days." But still, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Don't encourage terrible game developers to make more terrible games.[/QUOTE]

Where are you from where you have insanely awesome games that make this one look absolutely terrible? For me at least, I thought it was an excellent gaming experience and pretty much all you can ask for...

AC2 is definitely a lot fun and a big improvement over the first one. I personally liked the first one, too, but it did get way too repetitive. This one does a better job of not making it feel like work getting to the end of the game.

[quote name='Sashka']fuck this game...It's just as bad as the first one. Frustrating, too long, terribly told story. They "listened" to the gamers about the repetitiveness, and instead put so much crap into the game that it's not even fun. Everything is just mediocre. Nothing is great. Not worth owning, rental - yes. But do not buy it, there are better games out there for PC, and not being able to trade it in makes this a stupid buy.[/QUOTE]
I get what you're saying since I'm OCD about being a completionist as well. I think most people don't give a shit about needing to finish every mission or find every feather, so they generally love the game. I must admit, the game went from having almost nothing to do in those huge, beautiful environments to too much. I really enjoy the role of assassin/bounty hunter, so I was able to get through the tedium of collecting everything. I wouldn't want to do it again, though.

[quote name='Jodou']I get what you're saying since I'm OCD about being a completionist as well. I think most people don't give a shit about needing to finish every mission or find every feather, so they generally love the game. I must admit, the game went from having almost nothing to do in those huge, beautiful environments to too much. I really enjoy the role of assassin/bounty hunter, so I was able to get through the tedium of collecting everything. I wouldn't want to do it again, though.[/QUOTE]

Having too much to do is better than almost nothing to do. I loved the game and actively did everything (except collect all of the feathers) as I was playing the game. I did not leave it all for the end or when one was able to play again after the credits.

Would I do it again? Only if there are higher difficulties, new rewards, challenges or something of that nature.

With the way the prices drop so quickly for games, pc games especially nowadays, I wouldnt spend over $40 for a pc game that I plan to play. And a console to pc port? No way!

At least wait until the reviews are out on the pc version, the price will more than likely be cheaper than this after a week or so of release.

whats with all the hate? is it because you bought a game you didn't like? I can't remember the last time I've bought a game I didn't like. actually, I think it might be EndWar, but I got that for the headset (ps3).

protip: if you didn't like the first game, you shouldn't blindly buy the sequel

[quote name='Jodou']I get what you're saying since I'm OCD about being a completionist as well. I think most people don't give a shit about needing to finish every mission or find every feather, so they generally love the game. I must admit, the game went from having almost nothing to do in those huge, beautiful environments to too much. I really enjoy the role of assassin/bounty hunter, so I was able to get through the tedium of collecting everything. I wouldn't want to do it again, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused... People were complaining about lack of things to do in games and no replay or trivial activities to do in games recently. Many reviews of games in general usually touts "lots of things to do in this game" as a plus point for any game in question.

This is the first I hear people complaining about "lots of things to do in a game".

I personally liked the first game, but find that it's WAY too repetitive like everyone else and had given up by the 3rd town. AC2 addressed all of that and gave me more things to do if I so choose. I failed to see where the dev went wrong there...

[quote name='XClaude']This is the first I hear people complaining about "lots of things to do in a game".[/QUOTE]
It's because they're the exact same thing over and over. Collect this, visit that. It's fine for people just exploring, but when your sole purpose is just to collect everything -- it's not fun.

lol ... hmmm, I find this thread amusing ... if only this game were less repetitive .... you know, like Halo or MW2 ... where you just shoot thi. ... .. oh wait :p

[quote name='quadomatic']I suppose that doesn't really matter...most every major PC release has been like that for a while now[/QUOTE]
Uh, no? Most games only require the CD be in the drive after installation, but this system requires you to be online every time as well. Even Steam games can be played offline by running the executable manually whereas this can't. On the plus side, there's no DRM limits or nonsense like that. Still, people without access to internet can't play.

[quote name='Jodou']This would probably be a bad time to point out that you must have internet to authenticate the game before playing, huh?[/QUOTE]

Ya, this will prevent me from ever buying the pc version of this game. At least Steam has an offline mode which more or less works and you can create an offline GFWL account. But this is complete crap. Why does everyone feel that adding extra apps to play a game is the right way to go? I don't see how things like this discourage piracy. If anything it only encourages people to make cracks to bypass this stuff. :bomb:

[quote name='Jodou']Uh, no? Most games only require the CD be in the drive after installation, but this system requires you to be online every time as well. Even Steam games can be played offline by running the executable manually whereas this can't. On the plus side, there's no DRM limits or nonsense like that. Still, people without access to internet can't play.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow my bad. I thought you had to simply activate your game...it has to be authenticated every time you start it? That's harsh...

It makes little difference to me personally though. I would think most people who would play AC2 are probably always connected to the internet, but it's a shame for the people who don't have a consistent connection.

[quote name='Jodou']when your sole purpose is just to collect everything -- it's not fun.[/QUOTE]
Would the game be a better game without certain optional objectives?

[quote name='mogamer']Ya, this will prevent me from ever buying the pc version of this game. At least Steam has an offline mode which more or less works and you can create an offline GFWL account. But this is complete crap. Why does everyone feel that adding extra apps to play a game is the right way to go? I don't see how things like this discourage piracy. If anything it only encourages people to make cracks to bypass this stuff. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Wait so if this game's requiring you to have internet and you're going out of your way to avoid it, how exactly are you a fan of Steam? I get what you're saying about the offline mode, but how exactly do you get the Steam game to begin with, considering you need an internet connection to purchase and download the game? I'm assuming you don't have to connect to the internet every single time you boot up ACII, just the first time or any time you add DLC ... am I missing something here?

bread's done
Back