Assassin's Creed II - Gen. Discussion - Main Character Revealed

Galego23

Banned
The official Assassin's Creed web site gives us a brief taste of the second entry in the series and clues us in on when we can expect concrete details on Assassin's Creed 2—next Thursday. The teaser consists of little more than a short Flash animation, rendered in a hand drawn style noticeably similar to that of Leonardo da Vinci's inventions—focusing on the concealed blade Altair used in the original—and his Vitruvian Man. The final drawing hints at some sort of winged contraption that may indicate we'll be doing some flying (or at least some floating/humming of the Batman theme song) in the sequel.

The teaser also notes that we'll see more in the upcoming issue of Game Informer, with the date April 16, 2009 presumably indicating when the games mag is allowed to lift the veil on Ubisoft's sequel.
Given the Italian pedigree of the teaser, we'd think those rumored details of Assassin's Creed 2 taking place in Venice are sounding more and more likely. We're sure to know by next Thursday. Keep an eye peeled!

Assassin's Creed[Official Site]

via Kotaku. [/quote]

1UP News

Assassin's Creed II's Main Character Revealed

Game Informer cover reveals "a new hero for a new time."

By Patrick Klepek, 04/10/2009
Ubisoft has been teasing the sequel to Assassin's Creed lately, but it won't be long before we have the first concrete details, courtesy of the magazine Game Informer. Assassin's Creed II is their upcoming cover story, which the magazine promises will reveal the first information on "a new hero for a new time" -- whatever that means.
Want to take a look at what this new hero looks like?

media

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Assassin's Creed had it's awesome moments but it left alot to be desired. Hopefully they fix everything that was wrong in the original and make this the awesome game it should have been from the start.

[quote name='cmart05']The first Assassin's Creed had it's awesome moments but it left alot to be desired. Hopefully they fix everything that was wrong in the original and make this the awesome game it should have been from the start.[/quote]
I agree, I think the core mechanics (movement, fighting, stealth) of the game were in place, it was the game structure that was lacking. I think if they fix this (which they should easily be able to do in 2 years) they will have a winning game at hand.

Edit: would have been nice if the Japanese rumors were true that you ended up being a ninja in the second game, but Venice is closer to Jerusalem than Japan is.

I'm just now getting ready to start the first one. I played it awhile back, but lost interest after a couple hours. I'll give it another chance, though and then play the second one if I can actually finish the original. How long is the game supposed to last?

[quote name='sj41']I'm just now getting ready to start the first one. I played it awhile back, but lost interest after a couple hours. I'll give it another chance, though and then play the second one if I can actually finish the original. How long is the game supposed to last?[/quote]I'd imagine that 10-12 hours would be the normal time for completion (factoring in time spent doing some of the side objectives required for certain achievements).

If you are a fan of the series, I would recommend checking out that teaser site at:
http://assassinscreed.us.ubi.com/assassins-creed-2/teaser/

At the end of that teaser, it does have "Game Informer 4-16-09" written backwards, but there's some awesome viral marketing going on too.

If you click that center image at the end, it brings up a PDF page of instructions ala the Animus. To load the memory fragment, you print that page (just an image in B&W and the instructions) and then go back to the main teaser page. There's an image on the left of the screen (one of the AC1 logos) which opens a new page. It asks for access to your webcam and starts a feed. If you hold the printout up to the webcam it recognizes the image and brings up a 3D model of an Assassins arm. If you can get it centered and steady (which I'm having issues with) it goes from block outline to fully rendered. Rotate it, move it closer and further, etc and it reacts. Very cool. :) :)

I just watched it, can't really make anything from it. I brought the first game in January for £5.. still not played it yet on my account. I might start it close to this games release to help me get hyped.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']If you are a fan of the series, I would recommend checking out that teaser site at:
http://assassinscreed.us.ubi.com/assassins-creed-2/teaser/

At the end of that teaser, it does have "Game Informer 4-16-09" written backwards, but there's some awesome viral marketing going on too.

If you click that center image at the end, it brings up a PDF page of instructions ala the Animus. To load the memory fragment, you print that page (just an image in B&W and the instructions) and then go back to the main teaser page. There's an image on the left of the screen (one of the AC1 logos) which opens a new page. It asks for access to your webcam and starts a feed. If you hold the printout up to the webcam it recognizes the image and brings up a 3D model of an Assassins arm. If you can get it centered and steady (which I'm having issues with) it goes from block outline to fully rendered. Rotate it, move it closer and further, etc and it reacts. Very cool. :) :)[/quote]

Yeah this ^ teaser site is already list on first post. Thanks.

The first one was completely disappointing for the fact that it had so much potential and wound up being just trash.

That game was like the Dallas Cowboys of video games, all fluff and superstars.

I really hope they make some advances in gameplay. The repetitiveness really got to me in the 1st one that I never finished it. Great game though, im excited and will most likely pick it up.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The first one was completely disappointing for the fact that it had so much potential and wound up being just trash.

That game was like the Dallas Cowboys of video games, all fluff and superstars.[/quote]

Yeah I agree, but at least the potential was there. I mean they've had plenty of time to tweak everything that was wrong with the first one and fixed it for the second. I'm excited about it.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Edit: would have been nice if the Japanese rumors were true that you ended up being a ninja in the second game, but Venice is closer to Jerusalem than Japan is.[/quote]

I'm actually overjoyed that it's not a ninja game! There are already a ton of games out there about ninja, and I love that Assassin's Creed is giving us historical settings rarely seen in video games.

This should be a great game. See, the reason the first game sucked is it was really just a side project (hence the "unfinished" feel and repetition), an id style demo of the engine that was primarily for Prince of Persia.

Now that the technical side of the game is established, they can focus mainly on the gameplay elements.

I really did feel like they constructed this beautiful world in the first game, and gave you free reign to interact with it, and then forgot to build a game with it. As someone else mentioned, it really felt like a tech demo.

If they make the story something as epic as it could be, maybe stop making me collect flags to move the game along, then I'll be all over this.

Loved the first and can't wait for this one! I've completed the first one and got all 1000 gamer score in it on my other profile. I think I might just do it again. I've been itching to play this game.

[quote name='Wolve11']Quit whining[/quote]
:whistle2:#

Sorry wasn't whining. Just annoyed I missed this thread, would have been more active in this one as well. I'm obsessed with AC, and want to hear what every CAG is thinking about the teaser.

Also, I got AC1 on 360 and plan on getting AC2 on 360 (cause the PS3 one was pretty much broken...) So it was kind of a tease towards that.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']I really did feel like they constructed this beautiful world in the first game, and gave you free reign to interact with it, and then forgot to build a game with it. As someone else mentioned, it really felt like a tech demo.

If they make the story something as epic as it could be, maybe stop making me collect flags to move the game along, then I'll be all over this.[/QUOTE]

I think "tech demo" is a little harsh. While I agree there are some major shortcomings with the first game (the repetition), I found combat and the assassinations very fun. Everything else just got boring quick. The story was immediately engaging and well written, despite the majority of the crap you have to do in the lead-up to an assassination.

I love the concept and I enjoyed the first one to an extent, but I am excited for this one and will be at the midnight next week to pick it up.

Yea its a slow starter which is annoying. They really could've had a nice big setpiece or flashback with full assassin powers sort of thing. I assume we're getting to that, but theres a lot of getting to know the character stuff and its pretty dry-boned. Take the letter here, go catch this for the little boy, blah blah. Its interesting, but I want to assassinate some people, not bitch slap them.

It looks gorgeous and plays extremely like the first one, but theres a lot of expository in the beginning that is wayyyy too drawn out and not enough DESTROYING PEOPLE.

I like the intro though and I like the story's progress outside of the beginning of the meat of the game. I think its going to be good. I have high hopes despite the slow start.

[quote name='Scorch']The first hour or two of this is just so.. boring. I really hope it picks up.[/QUOTE]
Yeah...this. :/ I played a little last night and couldn't believe I got 3 achievements for basically doing nothing. Hope it starts getting better soon.

One thing to think about when discussing the slower pace of the story telling or beginning of the game, it could be worse they could do a rushed story and gameplay and charge you 60$, IE 60$ and you get 6.5 hours of single player gameplay like other studios have chosen to do with their game.

I look forward to playing it this afternoon once I get off work and pick it up.

IGN's review, and I presume pretty much everyone else's review, should be up in a little over an hour. I hate that publishers make the reviewers wait to post these things. I want to know what the reviews are NOW.

Im liking it a lot now. If you liked the first one even a little bit, you'll like this one more. The beginning bit where it intros the characters and the basic gist of some of the conflicts is a tad slow and boring, but its more for mechanical purposes than anything else. It drags a bit. 1st hour of the game and then it gets better.

My biggest complaint is there seems to be quite a bit of pop-in in places, especially with NPCs. Im going to try installing and see if it helps.

Its absolutely beautiful in terms of the detail.

Hey, I got the PS3 version and I'm pretty underwhelmed by the visuals. Here are some of my problems (please let me know if they are apparent in the 360 version):
-Lots of popin of textures... distant items are constantly being rolled over with new meshes/textures
-Slight lag/screen tearing - if you are moving fast and looking around the camera sort of jitters. Just does not seem natural
-Underpopulated streets - not people but objects (I'm guessing it is the same for both platforms) the streets just lack clutter and depth that I felt in the fist one.

Thanks for any info.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hey, I got the PS3 version and I'm pretty underwhelmed by the visuals. Here are some of my problems (please let me know if they are apparent in the 360 version):
-Lots of popin of textures... distant items are constantly being rolled over with new meshes/textures
-Slight lag/screen tearing - if you are moving fast and looking around the camera sort of jitters. Just does not seem natural
[/QUOTE]

Gamespot mentioned the PS3 issues in their review: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/assassinscreed2/review.html

This is what they said:

The PlayStation 3 version does suffer from some frame rate jitters, more frequent texture fade-in, and lesser color saturation. Both versions are still attractive, however, and apart from a few small flaws, you rarely get the feeling that visual compromises were made to make the game's open world run smoothly.

You'd think that studios would eventually get the hang of programming for the PS3, but apparently that isn't always the case.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea, that is what I thought... which is why I got the PS3 version. I may sell it and get the 360 version. Not sure yet.[/QUOTE]

This is why I play non-exclusives on Xbox unless I get them on clearance.

[quote name='perdition(troy']got my LE version yesterday. Really liked the figure, and the box. Very impressed.[/QUOTE]
I was going to get the black figure, but when it was announced that it would only be sold in Europe I decided to get no figure at all.

Jeff at Giant Bomb says you can turn the game to full Italian voices with English subtitles. Which is pretty rad. He also says they have voice work for German, Spanish, etc...with various subtitles.

wow.. im really digging this game...

I didnt even really get into the first one at all but this one just looks and plays so well. The story is pretty cool too.

Im suprised this thread isnt busier.. this is a AAA release.

Anyone unlocked anything in the u-play servers? I see they have a theme up for 10 points

Should be getting this from GF tomorrow. Can't wait. Despite the repetitiveness of the first game, I still really liked it, so I've been looking forward to this.

Just found a pretty interesting glitch. I was on a rooftop and I killed one of the guards up there. When I did, two more appeared out of nowhere, killed them, two more, killed them and another two appeared. I decided to just stop and watch and more and more just kept spawning and it got so crowded that they were being pushed off the rooftops. Of course, as soon as I went to grab my camera to take a video, the damn game froze.

[quote name='guyver2077']wow.. im really digging this game...

I didnt even really get into the first one at all but this one just looks and plays so well. The story is pretty cool too.

Im suprised this thread isnt busier.. this is a AAA release.

Anyone unlocked anything in the u-play servers? I see they have a theme up for 10 points[/QUOTE]

I haven't used any of my points yet. I heard the theme is not a premium theme so I will be passing on it.

bread's done
Back