Assassin's Creed II - Gen. Discussion - Main Character Revealed

[quote name='exRounder']in response to above:

the binary at the end of the truth supposedly reads "Eden" so i think they're going with the idea that the whole adam and eve story about being expelled from eden for taking the apple is true except in the context of the apple as a piece of eden and the knowledge being the ability to resist the power the gods exercised over people with their pieces of eden. this is very much like how ezio resists borgia's staff with the piece of eden.

as for what minerva (so glad you also came to the conclusion the dark figure is her), i have no clue what they're making the humans make. i'm sure that will be for aciii.
[/QUOTE]

I also think it's AC's own little spin on "the fall". Earth was a futuristic utopia before Adam and Eve stole the apple and caused the fighting between these gods and humans etc. It does seem like the pieces of eden were meant to keep humans under control, given their rather specific powers.

So there WAS someone overseeing the workers! I'm not sure if it's minerva or not... whatever/whoever it was looked very sinister, not unlike a sort of grim reaper. I'm thinking whatever they were working on ties into ACIII as well... wasn't there talk of an "ark"? I'm curious to see how they put this whole story together, I have a bad feeling that there's going to be some loose ends with some of these "hints" they've given us.

I'm wondering what's going to happen from here, at least as far as gameplay is concerned. At first I had the impression that ACIII would have you playing as desmond in the present, but in our world of skyscrapers and tall buildings I couldn't imagine there being much room for the vertical gameplay the series requires.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Two DLC packs are due next year: Battle of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities. Both are suppose to be more than 1GB in size.[/QUOTE]

Guess ill buy AC2 again next march when its 20 bucks.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Woo, got 1000g's... I hate feathers. Better than the stupid flags though.[/QUOTE]

I've only found half of the feathers and even resorted to looking for a cheat online but couldn't find one with the feather locations.

I've meant to post about this. Has anyone else used UPlay for this game? I bought one extra, and the extra "tomb level". I was wondering however if the extra knives upgrade, or the theme was worth it. I already got a free theme for getting it from amazon, so i figured i'd save my extra points for the next Ubisoft game that I want use my points on.

I appreciate the artistry of this game, but man, I'm really trying hard to get through the first hour of this one. One dull task after another -- WAY too much "set up" IMO. I've heard it gets better and I know folks who have played through it all feel that way....but even though it feels different than AC1, I'm not sure it's THAT much different to suit my tastes. Oh well...guess I'll keep going....if I can take it, lol.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I appreciate the artistry of this game, but man, I'm really trying hard to get through the first hour of this one. One dull task after another -- WAY too much "set up" IMO. I've heard it gets better and I know folks who have played through it all feel that way....but even though it feels different than AC1, I'm not sure it's THAT much different to suit my tastes. Oh well...guess I'll keep going....if I can take it, lol.[/QUOTE]

Just keep playing, this game becomes much more exciting. Also, you've only played 1 hour. How much can they throw at you in that time? They've gotta build dat story up!

[quote name='opterasis']Okay, I'm having a total brainfart, and I can't remember where to bring the assassin's seals that I collect.[/QUOTE]

You take them back to the villa and go down stairs from the codex room.

I liked the UPlay stuff. Being Altair in the renessaince (It's really hard to spell) is badass! The tomb is okay and there is an awesome back story to read that reveals a super secret about one of the older assassins. His passion must have been like an INFERNO. That's all the hints I can give, but it is pretty cool!

[quote name='BackInBlack']You take them back to the villa and go down stairs from the codex room.[/QUOTE]

Duh. Right in front of my face.

Do you ever get back access to the flying machine? It looks like one of the assassin's tombs can't be reached without it.

[quote name='opterasis']Duh. Right in front of my face.

Do you ever get back access to the flying machine? It looks like one of the assassin's tombs can't be reached without it.[/QUOTE]

Nope. You can only use it in that mission, which makes the achievement for kicking someone while using it the only one you can really miss.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Nope. You can only use it in that mission, which makes the achievement for kicking someone while using it the only one you can really miss.[/QUOTE]

I believe you can get access to that certain mission if you filed through the DNA from the menu. Not exactly sure though, never tried it myself.

I don't believe so. It's listed as a missable achievement on 360Achievements, and those folks are pretty good at keeping up with all the possible ways to get an achievement.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't believe so. It's listed as a missable achievement on 360Achievements, and those folks are pretty good at keeping up with all the possible ways to get an achievement.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes it is >.

[quote name='eastshore4']
I also think it's AC's own little spin on "the fall". Earth was a futuristic utopia before Adam and Eve stole the apple and caused the fighting between these gods and humans etc. It does seem like the pieces of eden were meant to keep humans under control, given their rather specific powers.

So there WAS someone overseeing the workers! I'm not sure if it's minerva or not... whatever/whoever it was looked very sinister, not unlike a sort of grim reaper. I'm thinking whatever they were working on ties into ACIII as well... wasn't there talk of an "ark"? I'm curious to see how they put this whole story together, I have a bad feeling that there's going to be some loose ends with some of these "hints" they've given us.

I'm wondering what's going to happen from here, at least as far as gameplay is concerned. At first I had the impression that ACIII would have you playing as desmond in the present, but in our world of skyscrapers and tall buildings I couldn't imagine there being much room for the vertical gameplay the series requires.
[/QUOTE]

re: series continuation and acii "the truth"

as much as the 'in' joke is to say ubisoft will milk this franchise to death, i will naively say that the ac creators will do what is best for the story and tie it up with iii. to be honest, before you brought it right in my face the idea that today's architecture will not lend itself to the vertical gameplay, i just thought they would throw in some sort of grappling hook, but that doesn't make much sense. however, now that i think about it, maybe it will end with desmond but not in a place we might be expecting. didn't they say the assassins in modern day were in a templar excavation site? i would bet we're going to go far off the beaten path of the modern day, terrain which would lend itself to the signature ac gameplay.

it is for sure an overseer, but the first time i noted it, i always thought that it was eve's own hand holding the apple. of course, close inspection crushes that idea, BUT it always rubbed me the wrong way that it's only once they get to the top that eve goes, "i have it!" did she steal that one we saw in the overseer's hand?

argh. i hope the dlc lets us see more outside of the animus and also, if you're listening ubisoft, can you patch it so that i can replay the last part of the game? kthxbai

[quote name='exRounder']re: series continuation and acii "the truth"

as much as the 'in' joke is to say ubisoft will milk this franchise to death, i will naively say that the ac creators will do what is best for the story and tie it up with iii. to be honest, before you brought it right in my face the idea that today's architecture will not lend itself to the vertical gameplay, i just thought they would throw in some sort of grappling hook, but that doesn't make much sense. however, now that i think about it, maybe it will end with desmond but not in a place we might be expecting. didn't they say the assassins in modern day were in a templar excavation site? i would bet we're going to go far off the beaten path of the modern day, terrain which would lend itself to the signature ac gameplay.

it is for sure an overseer, but the first time i noted it, i always thought that it was eve's own hand holding the apple. of course, close inspection crushes that idea, BUT it always rubbed me the wrong way that it's only once they get to the top that eve goes, "i have it!" did she steal that one we saw in the overseer's hand?

argh. i hope the dlc lets us see more outside of the animus and also, if you're listening ubisoft, can you patch it so that i can replay the last part of the game? kthxbai[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be suprised if they milk it out. Look at the map on the Codex there are mulitple spots around the world with spots.

On another note, I got my 1000 gs. Great game. I liked it alot. Can't wait for the DLC...
I wonder if the two episodes are Sequence 12 and Sequence 13

When does this game "pick up"? Not much of a spoiler
I just got the duel blades and it still seems like the game keeps explaining things to me both story and gameplay but never really getting into the meat of the game.

Trying to decide if I ever want to get the feather achievements. I have like 14 feathers now. If I use a guide to find the rest, how long would it takes? I figure it's gonna be a couple of hours.

I didn't find the feathers nearly as annoying as most collectibles in games. For the most part, they are not really hidden. You'll stumble upon a lot of them naturally in the game. I definitely hate, though, that it's another game that falls into the category of "let's have collectibles for the sake of having them as an achievement." I know you get the hammer at 50, and the cape at 100. But the hammer was nothing special, and the cape's only real purpose is for another achievement.

I'm loving the game. I'm up to sequence 10 I believe. Just got the pistol, which is so awesome ^_^

As much as I love the game, almost every minute, theres a glitch or general graphic error. Even more it seems deeper into the game. I've glitched through walls, had guards land (and walk) in the strangest places (IN the wall. WTF?), and almost every turn there is like...idk, white parts showing up in the corners.

And I missed that acheivement? Damn it...

[quote name='wakawakawa']Trying to decide if I ever want to get the feather achievements. I have like 14 feathers now. If I use a guide to find the rest, how long would it takes? I figure it's gonna be a couple of hours.[/QUOTE]

The feathers only took me 2 and a half hours. I'd have even done it faster if i had done it during my session than after i finished the game, since i systematically had to go through all the locations again anyway.

[quote name='gareman']When does this game "pick up"? Not much of a spoiler
I just got the duel blades and it still seems like the game keeps explaining things to me both story and gameplay but never really getting into the meat of the game.
[/QUOTE]

Just so everyone knows I am not trying to "troll". I really liked the first one, and I heard the beginning was slow. Haven't had much chance to play it so I was wondering if I hadn't got past the slow parts or if I generally wasn't liking this game as much as I thought I would.

[quote name='gareman']Just so everyone knows I am not trying to "troll". I really liked the first one, and I heard the beginning was slow. Haven't had much chance to play it so I was wondering if I hadn't got past the slow parts or if I generally wasn't liking this game as much as I thought I would.[/QUOTE]

The game starts off slow. I actually thought wow.... what were they thinking during the first 2 hous. Once you get like 8+ hours in, I appreciated the slow beginning. At the end I really felt like the character had a lifespan, rather than just be part of a single event.

The game never really gets crazy, though. Even at the end it's still methodical rather than being like Ninja Gaiden (or something).

Compared to the first one, it's rather trivial to run away and hide from the guards as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wakawakawa']The game starts off slow. I actually thought wow.... what were they thinking during the first 2 hous. Once you get like 8+ hours in, I appreciated the slow beginning. At the end I really felt like the character had a lifespan, rather than just be part of a single event.

The game never really gets crazy, though. Even at the end it's still methodical rather than being like Ninja Gaiden (or something).

Compared to the first one, it's rather trivial to run away and hide from the guards as well.[/QUOTE]

thanks. I am about 3 hours or so hours in...we will see. Stupid work always cutting into my video game playing

Okay, as far as I can tell I've done everything in this game. Beat the story, all the side quests, and finished all the collections. However, the DNA screen still shows three "secret locations" that I haven't beat and my synchronization is 97.3%.

Is there something I'm missing or are those last three areas going to be DLC?

[quote name='Filbert']Okay, as far as I can tell I've done everything in this game. Beat the story, all the side quests, and finished all the collections. However, the DNA screen still shows three "secret locations" that I haven't beat and my synchronization is 97.3%.

Is there something I'm missing or are those last three areas going to be DLC?[/QUOTE]

preorder bonuses, which are supposedly going to become free at some point.

One of them may be the family crypt dlc which you can download from the title screen.

Yeah, I already downloaded and played through the family crypt. It really wasn't worth it. I think I'll just mess around in the game until I hit 1 million Flororins but I already have the game up for sale. I don't feel like waiting until they release some DLC.

[quote name='Filbert']Okay, as far as I can tell I've done everything in this game. Beat the story, all the side quests, and finished all the collections. However, the DNA screen still shows three "secret locations" that I haven't beat and my synchronization is 97.3%.

Is there something I'm missing or are those last three areas going to be DLC?[/QUOTE]

One is the Auditore Family Crypt that is the U-Play exclusive map. Just create an account and play the game and once you go through the first Assassin's tomb you'll have enough points to get it. It's just good practice for the other tombs and you'll get 5K florins for beating it/looting chests.

The second area you're missing is the map that came "exclusive" to Gamestop (it's a code you redeem @ the main menu.) The third is the map exclusive to the Gamestop-only CE.

Given the history of Gamestop exclusive DLC (UFC, Infamous, etc.) It'll probably be available for free sometime mid-late next year.

Edit: The two areas that are exclusive to Gamestop for now are Templar Lairs. Ubisoft has said they will be released free in the future, but no ETA.

[quote name='Filbert']Yeah, I already downloaded and played through the family crypt. It really wasn't worth it. I think I'll just mess around in the game until I hit 1 million Flororins but I already have the game up for sale. I don't feel like waiting until they release some DLC.[/QUOTE]

You can't wait 1 month? DLC packs are coming in Jan./Feb.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177139

I'm on memory strand 8 and I have all but 2 weapons. I know 1 is the hammer you get once you find 50 feathers, but what's the other one? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I'm on memory strand 8 and I have all but 2 weapons. I know 1 is the hammer you get once you find 50 feathers, but what's the other one? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Altair's sword is unlocked at 100 feathers, and his armor is unlocked with the 6 seals you get from the tombs
EDIT: Gah! Sorry, 100 feathers gives you the
Auditore cape

[quote name='Nebenator']
Altair's sword is unlocked at 100 feathers, and his armor is unlocked with the 6 seals you get from the tombs
[/QUOTE]

That can't be true. I had
Altairs sword
long before I ever collected a single feather.

[quote name='bs000']That can't be true. I had
Altairs sword
long before I ever collected a single feather.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I got it mixed up. I edited my post, check it again please.

Also patch came out for this on Saturday, I believe it's supposed to fix the chapter 11 glitch and others.

And is there ANY way to get the soundtrack off the extra disc in the CE? Why does Ubisoft always lock down the soundtracks on their CE's instead of opening them up to copy to your PC like you can on the Dragon Age CE?

Thanks for sharing this, i will log onto Live before i play again! Been really enjoying it so far...

[quote name='lordopus99']
I wouldn't be suprised if they milk it out. Look at the map on the Codex there are mulitple spots around the world with spots.
[/QUOTE]

they have such a great story going, i [would like to] have faith they wouldn't do that. given they have that integrity, here's why (in a way which may only make sense to me but hopefully not):

altair's memory = sought after by TEMPLARS for the MAP so for sake of symmetry in AC2 it was appropriately ezio's memory = sought after by ASSASSINS to TRAIN desmond and clue from subject 16. in effect, over the series thus far, we've gotten a memory each side wants and each time, it does push the story forward to where it needs to go. AC1 spurs the templars' search for the other Pieces and we see/hear about it in AC2 in the modern day intermissions. AC2 preps desmond for modern day battle and informs the assassins of the bigger threat.

i feel like now that we've had both sides in similar situations, they can move on to the real world. so many years have passed that those other pieces may have already been acquired OR the vast number of templars have already gotten to those pieces so that in AC3 it can all come to a head with the templars having all but one piece and the central story can be desmond going after the most important piece. i feel like it's a perfect set-up.

again, i know just because it's set up doesn't mean the urge to milk won't trump it, but it just feels SO right.

I just started to play this last night. The first assassination was pretty dull. It didnt give me that effect like the city around me was crumbling down like ive seen in the videos.

Some of the cut scenes ive missed pressing a button when it pops up on the screen, im never ready for them since i just watch the videos not thinking anything will pop up.

I have ran into a glitch a couple times, if you want to call it that. Where the main character will stop and look down like he is on top of something high when he is at the edge of some shallow steps. Only happened a few times.

this game is amazing. Instead of making the side missions mandatory like in the first one (which made it repetitive) they somehow made me want to complete them all even though I dont have to do any of them. The deeper I get into it the more sucked in I feel. Rebuilding the city to its former glory via individual upgrades was a nice touch. Great game which is going to suck many hours out of me...

[quote name='Malik112099']this game is amazing. Instead of making the side missions mandatory like in the first one (which made it repetitive) they somehow made me want to complete them all even though I dont have to do any of them. The deeper I get into it the more sucked in I feel. Rebuilding the city to its former glory via individual upgrades was a nice touch. Great game which is going to suck many hours out of me...[/QUOTE]

Exactly...so far im having a blast and after you meet mario its like WHOA! All this cool stuff revealed. Collect things, upgrade, rebuild the town, doing these odd puzzles. Its really cool so far. But when it comes to combat, it seems harder than the first game. Maybe its just me, or i havent gotten used to it yet.

Just finished it tonight. WAY better than the first one. The ending sequence
when you enter the vault and Minerva is giving her little schpeel
had me completely immersed. A lot of the additions/improvements were just what this game needed to hold my interest over the first one.

Couple of complaints though:
1) Poison: not as useful as was displayed in this video. At around the 2:10 mark, the player poisons the NPC guarding the assassination target and takes the target out in one swing. I tried replicating that many times but no dice. The poisoned guard might have nicked a guy or two, but then they'd just form a circle around him and watched him swing wildly and then eventually die. I guess it makes sense though. I mean, who would hang around and get killed by some crazy weapon flaying man? Still kinda disappointing.
2) TOO MANY ARCHERS. In Venezia, I ended up taking the roads and water more often than the rooftops because it was faster than taking the rooftops and trying to deal with the archers on the way to your destination.
3) Bounty Poster Locations: Why the hell are a bunch of them so high off the ground? It's just odd.

Those are just a few of the minor things that only became a frustration after about 3-4 hours of playing. Once I took a break and came back, they didn't bother me as much. I still love the game and it's in my top 5 for the year.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']You answered #3 in #2!!

Hehe.[/QUOTE]

Lol! I suppose I did.

I still think it's a bit odd though that tearing down bounty posters near the top of a building will get the population (who spend almost all of their time on the ground) to forget your face. But then again, so is "stealth" assassinating 4 guys without any of them noticing. Just one of those AC oddities I guess.

bread's done
Back