Attention Comic Book Fans! Recomendations Needed!

sadunclesnugglez

CAGiversary!
I've recently begun to read comic books again. I'm debating if I should start a pull list at my local shop, but they require that a person must pull at least 10 titles a month. My question: what do you guys read/collect? The Walking Dead and The Dark Tower are at the top of the list. My girlfriend seems to like Strange Girl and Fables. I've also wanted to check out Invincible.

I like all kinds of stuff regardless of publisher/writer whatever. I like superhero books, but I'm afraid that I've been out for so long that I won't have any idea what the hell is going on. I missed the whole Civil War story (I'll catch up in trades).

Heres the start of my list:

1. Walking Dead
2. Strange Girl
3. Fables
4. Invincible
5. Dark Tower

Other titles I'm considering: Amazing Spider-man, Astonishing X-men, Runaways, Mighty Avengers

Help me out CAG's! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Chronicles of Wormwood.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Those are the only two I've bought in years. I did buy the first two Dark Tower books, but thought they sucked.

Keep the suggestions coming guys! Also looking at Ultimate Spider-man. Anyone read any of the X-men books? Which is the best and/or easiest to get into? What are some good DC series right now?

[quote name='sadunclesnugglez']Keep the suggestions coming guys! Also looking at Ultimate Spider-man. Anyone read any of the X-men books? Which is the best and/or easiest to get into? What are some good DC series right now?[/QUOTE]

The New X-men is my current favorite X title, and its easy to get into through trades since is not that far in. Ultimate Spiderman is a must read, and again its better to get the HC trades that are out right now since that is the cheapest and easiest way to read the whole series if you want to do that.

Invincible is amazing. You have to get the HC versions. :D I buy most of my trades from www.instocktrades.com. DC still isnt the easiest stuff to jump into right now because of 52 and WWIII , but I recommend both Justice Society of America and Justice League.

What is happening right now in Amazing Spiderman is just awesome, but it does require that you have read Civil War and all of the ASM tie ins. If you can pick those up at your local shop I highly recommend it, but ASM is the only spiderman book worth reading besides Spiderman Loves Mary Jane right now (which is out of continuity).

If you are serious about getting back into comics I recommend starting a pull list at your local store if they offer a discount for new release books. In the long run it will save you a good amount of money.

Astonishing X-men is great. Runaways was amazing - get a TPB for the first two collections. I'm reading Criminal, a great true crime comic that just finished the first collection. All the Ultimate titles are a good read.

[quote name='rcpettit']Astonishing X-men is great. Runaways was amazing - get a TPB for the first two collections. I'm reading Criminal, a great true crime comic that just finished the first collection. All the Ultimate titles are a good read.[/QUOTE]

OMG how could I forget to mention Runaways. That is also another must have. :D There are just so many great series atm.

[quote name='mykevermin']Chronicles of Wormwood.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Those are the only two I've bought in years. I did buy the first two Dark Tower books, but thought they sucked.[/QUOTE]
Did you read the DT books? Every store I have gone to has been sold out of them

[quote name='jlarlee']Did you read the DT books? Every store I have gone to has been sold out of them[/QUOTE]

The books or the comic? I've read the seven books, and two of the comics (maybe #3 is out by now). I was expecting an expansion beyond the midworld as written in the books, and thus far, they've gone on about Roland's transition into a gunslinger as a child. The art is nice, and the paper and presentation classy. It's also neat to see how others visualize characters from the series (their rendition of Jonas was spot on, IMO, but Cort wasn't drawn anything like I pictured him).

Thus far, I think I'm let down because it's nothing new, and it's only a short (7 issues, I think) series. It doesn't *suck* as I said, but it's nothing new, and that's a disappointment.

[quote name='sadunclesnugglez']Keep the suggestions coming guys! Also looking at Ultimate Spider-man. Anyone read any of the X-men books? Which is the best and/or easiest to get into? What are some good DC series right now?[/quote]

I'd honestly suggest most of the current X-titles. Honestly, three of the four major books are amazing. I love Astonishing, New and Adjectiveless. They all have separate teams so they're all separate storylines. Uncanny is pretty good too, but the other three blow it away.

Though I'd also suggest looking at some of the more periphary X-titles also. X-Factor is probably one of my single favorite comics that come out monthly. They're not your typcial fighting X-team, but they're such a great team personality-wise that I love it. They took a character I never really remembered being that great, Jamie Madrox, and took his power to a whole new place where each dupe has its own personality. Also, Cable and Deadpool is a pretty fun X-title read. The seriousness of Cable is awesome when you place it next to the whackiness of Deadpool.

USM is really a must read title. I've never loved a Spider-man title so much. When Bendis focuses more on Peter Parker's life and not on Spidey, it works so perfectly. I just started reading it a few months ago, and I honestly caught up in like two weeks cause it was such a compelling read.

[quote name='mykevermin']The books or the comic? I've read the seven books, and two of the comics (maybe #3 is out by now). I was expecting an expansion beyond the midworld as written in the books, and thus far, they've gone on about Roland's transition into a gunslinger as a child. The art is nice, and the paper and presentation classy. It's also neat to see how others visualize characters from the series (their rendition of Jonas was spot on, IMO, but Cort wasn't drawn anything like I pictured him).

Thus far, I think I'm let down because it's nothing new, and it's only a short (7 issues, I think) series. It doesn't *suck* as I said, but it's nothing new, and that's a disappointment.[/QUOTE]
Aaaah I was hopeing for them to hit some new stories as well

You guys are awesome! So, I'll add Ultimate Spider-man to my list. It's going to take awhile to catch up on everything. My main focus will be The Walking Dead. My birthday is next week and I'm hoping I can score the first and second (when the hell is it coming out anyway?) hardcover volumes of The Walking Dead. I've already picked up several back issues.

I read the first issue of the Dark Tower book and I thought it was awesome! Artwork is amazing in my opinion. I can see where some would find it disappointing by not adding anything new.

Heres my list so far:

1. Walking Dead
2. Dark Tower
3. Invincible
4. Strange Girl (g/f likes this one)
5. Fables (g/f again)
6. Astonishing X-men
7. Runaways
8. Ultimate Spider-man
9. Mighty Avengers (not sure about this one)
10. Amazing Spider-man

bread's done
Back