Attention Verizon DSL Subscribers: You Have a Free Speed Upgrade!

PittsburghAfterDark

CAGiversary!
This is especially important for online gaming, obviously. If you are a residential Verizon DSL subscriber your connection has been upgraded free of charge from 1.5 down, 128 up to 1.5 down and 384 up. However the change is not automatic. You MUST call the customer billing number for Verizon Online billing at 877-483-5898 and ask them if your account qualifies for the upgrade. The only restriction is if your area has received the upgrade, every account is able to benefit from this in areas where service has been improved. If you qualify the upload change is active within 24 hours.

I only found out about this today because of a weird charge on my bill and casually asking if they were going to upgrade their upload speeds. This change took place in May or June but like I said, you have to ask for it it isn't automatic.

Happy gaming!

I wonder if this would effect those who get DSL from a different vendor, but have Verizon as a provider... I might need to give Earthlink a call then.

I'm going to let my dad know. If this happened that long ago, I'm sure my dad already knows.

I can verify this. I did it on my account a few months back. It is free of charge and well worth it. It took them a while to do it but it got done. You must call the billing department (NOT TECH SUPPORT) in order to place your request. Enjoy.

[quote name='BigDirty']I wonder if this would effect those who get DSL from a different vendor, but have Verizon as a provider... I might need to give Earthlink a call then.[/quote]

It depends on your vendor. You should be able to get the upgrade too, but your provider might charge you for it. DSLExtreme charged me $35 for the upgrade months ago, but i really needed the upgrade.

[quote name='BigDirty']I wonder if this would effect those who get DSL from a different vendor, but have Verizon as a provider... I might need to give Earthlink a call then.[/quote]

No, they wouldn't do it since you need to be a Verizon DSL customer...

HOWEVER, Earthlink DSL customers also have a nice speed upgrade themselves, PROVIDED that you are on a dedicated line provisioned through Covad. You also need to be within a certain distance from your CO as well.

To check if you are provisoned by Covad:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6544

A lot of requirements, but if you meet it, you get a nice speed boost to 3.0mbit/384kbit.

Check the fourms at BroadbandReports.com

Good luck.

This is happening on most of the major ISPs for DSL as a way to compete with the increased download speeds from the cable companies. SBC recently announced a similar upgrade.

However, this is almost entirely meaningless for games. During online gameplay the amount of data sent back and forth is very small. A 56K line handles it just fine. The main advantage of broadband for gaming is the reduced latency of a nail-up digital connection. This is why satellite connections, no matter how fast, are generally awful for gaming.

I speak from experience haveing used satellite ( www.tachyon.net ) system to support gaming events including a Sony E3 press event two years ago when the facility's T1 provider had a meltdown 24 before showtime. We, www.locationconnect.com, were just over Pasadena, so we were there and set up in less than two hours. SOCOM didn't mind the satellite connection much but the gameplay was definitely hindered. Madden had a self-test function built-in and the satellite drove it insane. They had to largely fake the interaction for the press event.

[quote name='epobirs']This is happening on most of the major ISPs for DSL as a way to compete with the increased download speeds from the cable companies. SBC recently announced a similar upgrade.[/quote]

Can you provide more information on this SBC announcement?

[quote name='yellowaznboy']Nice. Is this upgrade automatic or is a call necessary?[/quote]

Couldn't say. Try shutting down your connection for a few minutes then after you've powered up the modem and router again, go to one of the online speed tests to see if there is a difference. Many broadband companies leave things unchanged until you request a new IP by reconnecting.

Other than that I'd say ask SBC.

Thanks for the heads up, I just called in and they said I qualified for the Upgrade. Sometime this week or next week I should be at 384 Up 1.5 (still the same) down. The days of the 17kbps Uploads are about to go away, Again thanks for the heads up!

The upgrade is apparently in order for SBC users in my vicinity. I just used the speed test at www.broadbandreports.com and found that while my downloads were down to a little under a megabit (not unusual for this time of day to the test site) my upload speed had gained greatly since my last test, up around 220K now. It was formerly capped at 128K.

[quote name='epobirs']The upgrade is apparently in order for SBC users in my vicinity. I just used the speed test at www.broadbandreports.com and found that while my downloads were down to a little under a megabit (not unusual for this time of day to the test site) my upload speed had gained greatly since my last test, up around 220K now. It was formerly capped at 128K.[/quote]

Hmmm...my speeds haven't moved a bit, just checked...I have the lowest DSL package, could that affect it?

What's your distance from the CO epobirs?...I'm at 9000 ft.

[quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='epobirs']The upgrade is apparently in order for SBC users in my vicinity. I just used the speed test at www.broadbandreports.com and found that while my downloads were down to a little under a megabit (not unusual for this time of day to the test site) my upload speed had gained greatly since my last test, up around 220K now. It was formerly capped at 128K.[/quote]

Hmmm...my speeds haven't moved a bit, just checked...I have the lowest DSL package, could that affect it?

What's your distance from the CO epobirs?...I'm at 9000 ft.[/quote]

I'm at about 15K feet, IIRC. If you have the lowest package you're speeds are capped at those levels. You need to consult SBC to see what your current rates should be. I have the Basic 1.5 Mb package at $26.95 a month.

[quote name='epobirs'][quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='epobirs']The upgrade is apparently in order for SBC users in my vicinity. I just used the speed test at www.broadbandreports.com and found that while my downloads were down to a little under a megabit (not unusual for this time of day to the test site) my upload speed had gained greatly since my last test, up around 220K now. It was formerly capped at 128K.[/quote]

I'm at about 15K feet, IIRC. If you have the lowest package you're speeds are capped at those levels. You need to consult SBC to see what your current rates should be. I have the Basic 1.5 Mb package at $26.95 a month.[/quote]

That's my package (when I signed up it was the lowest at the time)...That pisses me off though, because I've been getting 600 down and 128up for almost a year now. During the first three months after I signed up I was getting a 1.2 down and for no explained reason it got cut in half.

[quote name='Ugamer_X'][quote name='epobirs']The upgrade is apparently in order for SBC users in my vicinity. I just used the speed test at www.broadbandreports.com and found that while my downloads were down to a little under a megabit (not unusual for this time of day to the test site) my upload speed had gained greatly since my last test, up around 220K now. It was formerly capped at 128K.[/quote]

Also, have you, as mentioned previously, done a complete shutdown of your DSL modem for at least five minutes. You want it to be long enough to get a new public IP when you reconnect. THis is required for many broadband upgrades to kick in.

Using the speed test on that site, I found out that my approximate download speed is 1228 mbit and upload speed is 209 mbit. Does that sound about right?

[quote name='spidey'][quote name='BigDirty']I wonder if this would effect those who get DSL from a different vendor, but have Verizon as a provider... I might need to give Earthlink a call then.[/quote]

No, they wouldn't do it since you need to be a Verizon DSL customer...

HOWEVER, Earthlink DSL customers also have a nice speed upgrade themselves, PROVIDED that you are on a dedicated line provisioned through Covad. You also need to be within a certain distance from your CO as well.

To check if you are provisoned by Covad:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6544

A lot of requirements, but if you meet it, you get a nice speed boost to 3.0mbit/384kbit.

Check the fourms at BroadbandReports.com

Good luck.[/quote]

I hope this applies to me. My Earthlink service has been less than satisfactory IMO.

cable is so much better than dsl. dslis so half ass. They had this technology 20 years ago, but were like, no one will want this.

[quote name='BigNick']cable is so much better than dsl. dslis so half ass. They had this technology 20 years ago, but were like, no one will want this.[/quote]

DSL isn't half ass, it's complete and utter ass. At least mine is anyway.

Rumor has it that Verizon is also upgrading their upstream to 3.0 Mbit. That rivals most Cable internet speeds (including mine) at which point I will be returning to Verizon. :) DSL speeds are consistent, unlike cable.

[quote name='daphatty']Rumor has it that Verizon is also upgrading their upstream to 3.0 Mbit. That rivals most Cable internet speeds (including mine) at which point I will be returning to Verizon. :) DSL speeds are consistent, unlike cable.[/quote]

Tell me about it. I only get 400 kbs Down and 45 kbs Up :(

well I finally had time to call today and the put in the order. I should see some type of change in 3-4 busness days. I hope it does get faster.

bread's done
Back