Avg age of FF fans

yuy104

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
So... a friend of mine called Final Fantasy "juvenile", but since I was in a good mood at the time I didn't feel like arguing with her.
Now I'm asking the CAG community what are the ages of you FF fans?
I always thought real FF fans should be around 20+ since we all started with the NES's 1&2, and SNES's 4&6 (At least that's when I started liking the series).

Thanks for your inputs.

Most Final Fantasy players probably started with 7, actually. Even that game is 9 years old though, so your guess of 20+ probably isn't too far off.

Which of course, doesn't mean that Final Fantasy isn't juvenile. You're taking her statement and arguing something completely different.

Well as I see it there are three FF groups. The people who started on the NES, those who began with FFVII and those who started with FFX.

The NES group is natrually the most mature, I would say in thier mid-20s and beyond. The FFVII group is younger on average and I would say that they are about 18(I fall into this group at 17.) and there are the people who started with FFX, these people are usually about anywhere from 13-17 on average.

The groups represent what I see as the three eras of FF. FVII was a first RPG for many people(not me) as well as thier first FF game. It got them hooked with it's amazing graphics and they currently regard it as the best FF game. The same can be said for the FFX. group they were lured in by the shiny graphics and rave reviews of FFX and were instantly hooked. The NES group prefers the older games above the new.

[quote name='Genocidal']Which of course, doesn't mean that Final Fantasy isn't juvenile. You're taking her statement and arguing something completely different.[/QUOTE]

Seconded.

I'm not much of a fan, but I do play them. This shits getting old. Anouncing the sequel to 13 before 12 is even fucking out... And then theres all the other varients... Suck.

I am picky as hell with FF games, so I skip ones that don't interest me at all...

started on FF7, FFT, then FF8, played FF9 due to a friend wanting me to (not so great game... so so), skipped X/X-2 (horrid IMHO), played FFXI, planning to get FFXII since it's the same guys behind Tactics (best FF game ever IMHO) and will definitly skip XIII.

oh, and I'm 21...

I'm 18 and I started with FFVIII. Beat IX, went back and beat VII, then beat X and X-2, played alot of FFXI, and tried the early ones, but couldn't get into em.

30, started with FF7. I had played some Square games prior to that (Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana) but never a FF for whatever reason. I was primarily a PC gamer before FF7 tho - FF7 is the game a college buddy of mine used to convince me to get a PSX, and the PSX is the system that turned me back into a hardcore console gamer.

I've never gotten around to playing the older FF's, tho I own FF3(6) for the snes. I've played all of them since 7 tho, and have really enjoyed them all. If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be FF8 - tho it's really close between them all.

25 today :) I'm a fan of the gameplay more than anything...the stories are lacking compared to say....a book. but I like making fun of the characters and adlibbing :lol: Looking forward to 12, for sure. The new battle system is the shiz.

started with 1, played through with a strat guide when I was very young.

the cave with the Rat's Tail and the Wizards before the chest is still the worst battle ever...but the pay off was worth it:
ninja2.jpg

Ninja!

24 here and I started at 1. I didnt become a real fan of the games till I played FF2 (or FF4 depending on where ya live :D ), and its still my favorite one to date. They really need to go back to a real fantasy setting, and get out of the sci fi sytle.

I'm 19 and my first Final Fantasy was IX back when I got a PS2 in the summer of 2001.

I don't know if you could call me a Final Fantasy fan, since I love FF IX and IV, think V and VI are ok, and I hate VII, VIII, X.
I don't play MMOs, and I haven't played more then an hour or so of I and II so I don't really know if I like them or not.

Guess I'll go ahead and blow the curve... 35 and I am a FF fan, though it really depends on the game. I tried, I mean REALLY tried, to play FFIX. 3 times. I have always gotten too bored to continue before the end of the first disc.

I'm 23. I played 1 through 9 excluding 3. I couldnt stand 10 and I actually sold it, and I dont sell games out of my personal collection very often.

Final Fantasy is dead to me.

I'm late 20's and a fan of the early FF games (Everything pre-VII).

I personally feel that the series starting with Playstation and moving forward are juvenile. My prejudice was further solidified when I went back and played FF IV on my GBA.

After SNES (yes yes yes, I know all about the Japanese games - nevertheless...) the Final Fantasy series felt like it went from adventurous, heroic, and character-driven to: Linear, obsessed with FF spiritualism (which is silly, regardless of what religion you are), and driven by "innovation" regardless of whether or not it actually makes the game better or not.

The SNES games play like a good novel in my opinion, whereas the later games play like a Hollywood action film. The first has quality and character, the second has explosions and action and is flashy in an effort to cover up the fact that there is not as much substance. Though the subject matter is not more juvenile than the prior versions, the feeling that the series slid backwards rather than forwards and they just started throwing crap at the wall hoping it would stick feels more like juvenile behavior to me rather than continual maturity of the series.

I know a lot of you disagree and that's fine with me - FF VII is the sacred cow of video games. Nevertheless, the OP asked our opinions - I'm not trying to change anybody's mind here.

For what it's worth, I played them in order of US release FF1 through FFVIII and watched a buddy play IX and was unimpressed. It would be nice if Square had just given Final Fantasy VII (or even VIII) a different name and we could avoid all these discussions altogether.

I'm 23 and started with the original NES game. I was a huge fan of the series through IX, playing and beating each game, including the translated FFIII ROM. I haven't enjoyed any of the PS2 games and doubt that sentiment will change with XII. However, I am looking forward to the DS remake of III.

I'm 21, and started with the original. To date I've played through I-VII, and IX. I loved the first six installments, and still hold VI as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. VII, however, felt like a cash grab to me. Mediocre gameplay, a story that made absolutely no sense, due to a shoddy translation and an astounding lack of character development (I was much more impressed with Wild Arms, which hit earlier that year if I remember correctly).

VIII was simply a chore to me. I sold it (I'm a person who NEVER sells his games, btw) after I cleared the first disc. I outright hated the characters, and the story seemed to bank on that "Burger King Reject" angst. I had better games to play, and it had to go.

IX felt like an apology for VII and VIII. They seemed to do so much right, after the disasters that were VII and VIII, with a great cast, a fairly good story, and an abilities system that didn't make your characters into virtual carbon copies. It cleared a lot of stumbling blocks, and shone through as a solid game in my eyes.

X, I never bought... I borrowed it from a friend. However, I have to say that I will NEVER be purchasing it. The game held the player's hand through the whole way, and spoonfed you a story that felt like a poor man's Grandia II. To this day, I STILL mock the whole "Yeah... yeah... yeah... Ihateyou... yeah..." dialogue. :p I haven't touched an FF since... the series is dead in my eyes, and Tetsuya Nomura is the murderer.

If what I've read is true, and Nomura's kept his grubby hands off of 12, I MAY be inclined to check it out when the price drops.

I guess I differ from most older FF fans here. I am not a big fan of FFVII but I loved VIII, IX was ok and X and XI are both great games (X2 sucked balls though.) I still go through FF1 and FFII(IV) every couple years. FFVII has some of the worst dungons ever and the story fell short after FFIII(FFVI). IMO

Thanks for the response everyone! I see the avg age is around 25-ish. So the next question is does everyone think this series is juvenile? IMHO, if a game is juvenile, it should target little kids (teens/preteens). The only games in the series that may seem kiddy-ish is IX and CC.. due to their character design.

Well, I'll buck the trend a bit.

I'm 27, but I started with FFVII. Since, I've played VIII, X, X-2, Tactics, VI, and I. For the record, FF X is my favorite of the series. I don't care if the story was called shallow, it pulled me in, and I cared about the characters.

im 16 and ive played through every FF game, the worst being X-2, even those cheap knockoff FF games on the gameboy were better

My first FF game was FF II. I bought it new when it came out in 1991. I was 26 at the time. I've been playing FF games ever since and haven't disliked one yet.

Started with VII also and have enjoyed them all ever since though ...

I never brought myself to play X-2. It didn't look INTERSTING!

26 going on 100 :)

I'm 22 and I started with FF3 USA Version. Then went to FF2. Then FF7, FFT, FF8, FF9, FF10, and FFXI. I played 1 but didn't dig it too much.

[quote name='yuy104']Thanks for the response everyone! I see the avg age is around 25-ish. So the next question is does everyone think this series is juvenile? IMHO, if a game is juvenile, it should target little kids (teens/preteens). The only games in the series that may seem kiddy-ish is IX and CC.. due to their character design.[/QUOTE]

No I don't think it's junenile. Based on most of the games the Characters are usually on the younger side. But I like that since I am around the same age.

I'm 28 and I started with FF1 on the NES. I played up until VII and then just lost interest....not only in FF but RPG's in general. They suck up too much time that I don't have. I still play action RPG stuff like Zelda but I just find most of the standard RPGs to be boring.

Started the series with FF4(2) on Snes, and loved it since, with exceptions. I really don't see what's hot about FF7, but I didn't play it much when it came out, so who knows. I'm 21, so although I was a kid back then, I did understand the story and what was going on. Best FF so far has been FF6, and I don't think it will ever be topped.

Now, as for being juvenile, that's a close yes. I can't deny that FF7 and 8 had the teen angst and pretty boy thing going on, mainly FF8. FF9 seemed to back off from that. I don't recall Zidane or Garnet's age ever coming into question, or them having teen problems, whatever.

FF6 had young characters too, but hell I've yet to see a more adult storyline in any FF. (Side note, I really miss Amano's character designs, always thought they were beautiful.)

[quote name='yuy104']Thanks for the response everyone! I see the avg age is around 25-ish. So the next question is does everyone think this series is juvenile? IMHO, if a game is juvenile, it should target little kids (teens/preteens). The only games in the series that may seem kiddy-ish is IX and CC.. due to their character design.[/QUOTE]

I think the whole FF package-- graphics and story-- is targeted at teens (12-18) for sure. maybe juvenile isn't the right word, but the stories deal with emotion and the battle of good vs. evil in a very flat, black and white way. they can be enjoyable on a certain level, but I don't take them seriously in the least...

I wouldn't say IX is really kiddy... just lighthearted. And I also wouldn't say you the Final Fantasy series is juvenile. It's not really targeted at a specific age group, but I would say it is targeted at "older audiences", considering most pre-teens wouldn't give a flying fuck about Final Fantasy.

[quote name='Apossum']the cave with the Rat's Tail and the Wizards before the chest is still the worst battle ever...but the pay off was worth it...[/quote]
Really? I would say that the Sorcerers and their 1-Hit Instadeaths in the Ice Cavern was far more harrowing since running into five of them and being Surprised can kill everyone faster than you can say "you bastards". Heh heh...but that was what made it all the more fun.

24 here, looked over the Nintendo Power strategy guide for at least a year and jumped on FF"4" the second it came out on the SNES. I loved it to death, was able to find a copy of FF1 a year later and played it to death. I've pretty much played all of the other FF games since although I stopped halfway through FFX because I couldn't take it any longer.

Overall I do love the earlier games more since I had a penchant for some of the gameplay mechanics they have. I've fallen out of favor with the series as of late for a few others (Shadow Hearts, Suikoden) but I'm hoping that FF12's story will be somewhat on par with Tactics and, if so, that may make it all the more worthwhile for me.

Otherwise, though, the series has had its highs and its lows, depending upon your point of view. Personally I don't plan on touching FF8 ever again but, eh, whatever floats your boat and all!

[Edit:] Oh, and Apossum, a counter-example may be Final Fantasy Tactics in the way that its plot has quite a few moments where issues aren't necessarily black-and-white. Then again, to be fair, the game was pretty much helmed by the people who worked on the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series as well as the story, if I recall. Quest, was it?

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm 22 and I started with FF3 USA Version. Then went to FF2. Then FF7, FFT, FF8, FF9, FF10, and FFXI. I played 1 but didn't dig it too much.[/quote]

After reading through the first couple of posts, I thought I would be the only one. I played FF3 (USA version) right after I finished Chrono Trigger at some point in college. Then I moved on to FF7 and finished that too. I started playing FF8 but started losing interest in RPG's. I'll get around to it someday. I'm 26 by the way.

41 and started with the SNES US FF2. I've played most of the FF game sreleased in the US but I don't know if I'd call myself a fan. Just a satisfied customer so long as they can think of me as a customer when my average purchase price is under $20.

Juvenile? You betcha. So what? It is the target audience. But that doens't mean the content hasn't become far more sophisticated over the years.

You want juvenile? If the conversation isn't already focused on video games my default assumption when someone writes 'FF' is Fantastic Four. That started just around the time of my conception, so it has always been part of my life.

[quote name='Purple Flames']23 and I started with VIII. hated it and went back and played all the FFs in order thanks to the mirace of roms and emulators.[/QUOTE]
quot'd, but I'm 24

[quote name='Revenantae']Guess I'll go ahead and blow the curve... 35 and I am a FF fan,[/quote] Almost 34. Started with FF10 and went backwards. Liked 10, 9, 7, 6 (the best), 5, 4. Can't stand the NES originals 1-3. Not enough story/character development & the onion kids are just annoying.

I guess you could call me "juvenile" despite my age. I'm 34 going on 20 (still single/ still spend my time watching games/movies instead of going out to bars like most folks my age).

[quote name='cheapgamesplease']Almost 34. Started with FF10 and went backwards. Liked 10, 9, 7, 6 (the best), 5, 4. Can't stand the NES originals 1-3. Not enough story/character development & the onion kids are just annoying.[/QUOTE]

Wow! You played FFX first but enjoyed VI the most? That's very rare... usually people who started at the later games think the earlier ones are crap but maybe it depends more on age.

Lets see here... I started with FFMQ when I was 6, then FFII (SNES FFIV, I think?) and FFVI (SNES FFIII) when I was seven. I guess I really didn't get into FFs or RPGs until FFVII which I finished when I was 10 or 11. But now at 19, I still think FFVI is the best.

[quote name='Vinny']Wow! You played FFX first but enjoyed VI the most? That's very rare... usually people who started at the later games think the earlier ones are crap but maybe it depends more on age.

Lets see here... I started with FFMQ when I was 6, then FFII (SNES FFIV, I think?) and FFVI (SNES FFIII) when I was seven. I guess I really didn't get into FFs or RPGs until FFVII which I finished when I was 10 or 11. But now at 19, I still think FFVI is the best.[/QUOTE]

FFVI is FF3 USA SNES right? If so I agree. The game had a great story and I loved how the world changed in the middle of the game. Especially having to find all the characters again was awesome.

[quote name='Vinny']
Started with FF10 and went backwards. Liked 10, 9, 7, 6 (the best), 5, 4. Can't stand the NES originals 1-3.
Wow! You played FFX first but enjoyed VI the most? That's very rare... usually people who started at the later games think the earlier ones are crap but maybe it depends more on age. [/quote] Why do people use Roman numerals? We're not Roman; I get confused. ;) In FF 6 the bad guy WINS and destroys the world. How could I not love that plot twist? :whistle2:D Also 6 == better battle engine & music. Better than 7 or 10.

Primitive 2D sprites don't bother me one wit.
(although I do miss Rikku's three-dimensional beauty)

bread's done
Back