B1G1 Used Xbox Games at GS (1/11 - 1/17) YMMV (B2G1 not)

Armenius

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
YMMV:
GameStopCoupon.jpg

Not:
EBC3004298.jpg

[quote name='Frog Ribs']Think I'll go look for Halo + Halo 2 in anticipation of getting a 360 later this year.[/QUOTE]

Just remember, Halo is $10 new at several stores (Best Buy, Fred Meyer,), while Halo 2 is $30 new and ($25 used). You would be much better picking up another used game that is closer to Halo 2's $25 used price, and buy Halo 1 brand new at another store.

Gamestop sells USED copies of Halo 1 at $25 (2.5 times everyone else's NEW GAME price), A big time ripoff, my understanding is that they changed the used price just before Halo 3 came out hoping to catch people who didn't know better.

I got Ninja Gaiden and Advent Rising.

So I sit through the 5 minute opening cutscene of Ninja Gaiden, then the initial 5 minute load time, then I spend way longer than I am willing to admit jumping around the opening area not noticing the log I'm supposed to run up. Finally I get into combat with some guys and in the middle of combat running normally I get the "Dirty/Scratched error." Of course, I hadn't saved, so clean the disc and start it up once more, sit through the long cutscene again, and 5 seconds into running around the first level, I get the error again.

Of course there isn't a GS/EB for miles with a copy to exchange this broken oneit because of this damn sale! What are my options, exactly? Can I return it for store credit? Will they see it was BOGO on the receipt and demand I return the other game too?

Sweet, got Jade Empire and Burnout 3 yesterday. They had to manually use the coupon. Burnout 3 plays weird on 360.. not quite 4:3, but not full widescreen either. It's like in a box.

Has anybody ever played Pariah or Kill.Switch? I'm thinking about going back for those tomorrow.

kill.switch is a pretty good action/adv. game. The whole gimmick is that you can really effectively use anything as cover. It controls really well, and generally is a solid, shortly-lived game. I beat it on a rental with under 6 hours of gameplay IIRC.

Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance and Ninja Gaiden Black. Coupon had to be overridden manually.

I'd buy more, but I don't have time to waste on hoping every GS clerk will correct their company's mistake.

Picked up Armed & Dangerous and Robocop so far.

Yeah, I know Robocop sucks, but the 20th Anniversary DVD got me jonesing for more Murphy.

Got Thief: Deadly Shadows and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for $8. As with everyone else, the clerk had to override the coupon code. I was going to take advantage of this at another location, but it's hard enough to find competent GS employees at one location, let alone two.

Anyone seen MVP Baseball 2005 (With Manny on Cover) at any gamestops, just became Backwards Compatible last update and wanna pick it up, was best baseball game I ever Played

Ninja Gaiden ($9.99) and Psychonauts ($12.99) for me. Case, manual, and disc for both are in fantastic shape - about as good as I've seen come out of GameStop.

Clerk had to override the code, but neither he nor the manager could get it to stack with my Edge card.

[quote name='classact']Anyone seen MVP Baseball 2005 (With Manny on Cover) at any gamestops, just became Backwards Compatible last update and wanna pick it up, was best baseball game I ever Played[/quote]

Have you tried searching store availability? Most stores near me have 4+ copies so it shouldn't be too hard to find it in decent condition used.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=950693

i picked up jade empire ($7.99) and indigo prophecy ($13). the guy explained that the coupon was a typo since he couldn't get it to work. so he asked if i would like to pick a third game. i just acted dumb and disappointed and asked, "so wait......this coupon isn't B1G1?" then he just waved his hands in the air and presto $13+tax.

i probably won't use it again. i've been dying to play indigo prophecy for a long time now. if i could just find the time to play it.

Quick question: maybe I haven't read the whole thread, but what is the origin of this coupon (email, etc.)?

The GS that I want to go to is run by a bunch of girls and if this is manual override, they might give me a hard time (no pun intended) using it. I want to know where this coupon comes from so I can explain it to them.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Quick question: maybe I haven't read the whole thread, but what is the origin of this coupon (email, etc.)?
[/quote]

It was in the Weekly newsletter email. If you've placed an order on the GS website, entered a GS web contest, etc. you're placed on the mailing list.

Picked up a couple games using the coupon today. I'll probably hit a few other stores this week to take advantage of the coupon. Unfortunately so many of the GS/EBs around here have their xbox games in disarray. Many are thrown haphazardly into bins and it seems like many are missing case artwork, manuals, etc. I'm sure I'll be able to score some deals still.

They did have to manually override something in the system to get it to work. When a 2nd employee came over to help out the situation he knew what to do and things went through. The 1st employee seemed to think that using the coupon with Edge might have been causing the problem but who knows, it stacked fine when employee #2 showed up.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='Tigerman']The coupon says Buy 2 Get 1. Where's the "B1G1" as indicated in the thread title?[/QUOTE]
Looks like they updated the coupon on the server. D'oh.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Looks like they updated the coupon on the server. D'oh.[/quote]
Not such a great deal anymore.
Hmmm. Was going to use the old coupon a 3rd time, but now that it's officially fixed, I won't bother. 4 games already, so I think I got my share.
If people wanted too, I'm sure the old coupon could still be tried, but it might take a little work/talking, and other semi-awkard things.

[quote name='MyNameIsWalrus']I saved the old coupon if anyone is interested in trying to get GS to give you the old deal. Here ya go:

GameStopCoupon.jpg
[/quote]

thanks alot :)

They gave me the B1G1 just like 25 minutes ago. I got KOTOR 2 and Indigo Prophecy for $19.99.

I didn't know it was supposed to be b2g1 now..

I feel bad now.

I've already used this twice to pick up:

Jade Empire
Prince of Persia - Sands of Time (played lastnight, it's fun... :) )
KOTOR II
Burnout 3 (played just now, I can tell I'm gonna have fun messing around w/ this one, especially a 'party' type game)

Oh so little time, so many games.

Yeah, had to override both times. Hmm may try 1 more time to get Fable and something else.

I had just printed bogo then came back saw b2b1 and thought i was going crazy, but anyways i took the b1g1 coupon and at first the guy was like its not working but he just did it anyways, i got san andreas and star wars BF 2 for 20 not bad

Just checked my original email and now the coupon says B2G1. These Internets are a crazy thing. I was thinking the deal was unusually good. Luckily I already got the two games I wanted. And this change will kill the temptation to buy more games I won't play. Maybe.

Well thanks for the old coupon. I will taking advantage of this once (maybe twice) more. Found a copy of Futurama that is calling my name so it looks like I will be getting something else free here soon.

[quote name='Foo228']fwiw, dreamfall and stubbs don't show up in a gamestop.com search (looking for the xbox versions)[/quote]

Dreamfall: Link

Stubbs: Link

The guy at the counter at my Gamestop just sighs when I come in now.

He looked at my coupon and says you can only do one deal per coupon, I pulled out two more I had printed off. I also had brought my wife and kid in case he argued about the 1 use per customer.

He rang through as 3 separate transactions but I got Prince of Persia (Sands and Warrior), Jedi Outcast, Castle Wolfenstein, Destroy all Humans and MK Armeggedon.

The only time he really got ticked was cuz after I was done my son got a ds game using his holiday/piggy bank money ... including $3 something in pennies lol.

[quote name='nuromutt']The only time he really got ticked was cuz after I was done my son got a ds game using his holiday/piggy bank money ... including $3 something in pennies lol.[/quote]

Oh, man, that's cold.

bought psychonauts and jade empire on saturday and the clerk didn't know how to override it. today, i found a manager who honored it for me, despite telling me it was a typo. $12 score!

[quote name='wowimsocute']bought psychonauts and jade empire on saturday and the clerk didn't know how to override it. today, i found a manager who honored it for me, despite telling me it was a typo. $12 score![/quote]

Actually, if you check the OP, it was a typo. The coupon is now B2G1. But hell, it was their own fault for this one.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']How could it possibly be a typo, i am going to try to use the original coupon at every gamestop around me...they deserve it.[/quote]

Because it had to be manually done for teh B1G1 to work. If it was meant to be B2G1, that would explain the need for a manual override.

[quote name='classact']Anyone seen MVP Baseball 2005 (With Manny on Cover) at any gamestops, just became Backwards Compatible last update and wanna pick it up, was best baseball game I ever Played[/quote]

Back when the update first hit, people were saying this game was now BC. Somebody posted the list including MVP 2005, but it wasn't on Microsoft's official list. Apparently, now even M$ is convinced the game is BC though because it is on their list, despite my 360 still giving the "game is not supported" message. I've updated my BC software both through Live and through the download on xbox.com (burning the xex file to cd). If anybody is actually able to play MVP 2005 on their 360, you let me know how.

[quote name='MyNameIsWalrus']I saved the old coupon if anyone is interested in trying to get GS to give you the old deal. Here ya go:

GameStopCoupon.jpg
[/quote]

Hey, thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it. ^_^

Now, time to go and build up my collection. ^.^ Woo!

I printed off five of the old coupons. I think I'll keep using them unless they stop me. A guy said he had received an email about the situation (assumedly about it being buy 2 get 1 free) but didn't mention that and instead manually did the deal for me. So it seems like that store at least is going to keep taking the old coupon.
I picked up Otogi 2 (!) and for my GF, The Nightmare before Christmas (-_-) game.

Wow, they updated this 4 days after I originally recieved the email. I printed off about 10 copies today at work figuring I'd hit some stores during the week. Ended up stopping off at all the local stores on the way home from work today. Good thing I did. I'll probably still try to work the deal, but all 3 stores I went to today were like WTF, why wont this work in the system. The last one called over the the store I was just at and asked him if he saw any of these coupons and how to override the system. Crazy.

This is almost as bad as the CC debacle a few months back with the B1G1 on 1600 point cards. Do they proofread these emails before they go out?

EDIT: I was just thinking, how does GS/EB post record profits every quarter and then F up this type of stuff. I guess in the end they are still giving us $20 in credit for a new release used game and selling it for $55 so that is a pretty nice margin. Just mind bogglings that they screw up this email though. They might have seen a ton of redemptions over the weekend and decided to switch things up though, you never know. Shady stuff.

I wanted Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden Black, but couldn't find NGB. So I got two copies of Halo 2. Anyone want to trade before it sells on Half.com?

Edit: NM, it just sold. That was quick.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Wow, they updated this 4 days after I originally recieved the email. I printed off about 10 copies today at work figuring I'd hit some stores during the week. Ended up stopping off at all the local stores on the way home from work today. Good thing I did. I'll probably still try to work the deal, but all 3 stores I went to today were like WTF, why wont this work in the system. The last one called over the the store I was just at and asked him if he saw any of these coupons and how to override the system. Crazy.

This is almost as bad as the CC debacle a few months back with the B1G1 on 1600 point cards. Do they proofread these emails before they go out?

EDIT: I was just thinking, how does GS/EB post record profits every quarter and then F up this type of stuff. I guess in the end they are still giving us $20 in credit for a new release used game and selling it for $55 so that is a pretty nice margin. Just mind bogglings that they screw up this email though. They might have seen a ton of redemptions over the weekend and decided to switch things up though, you never know. Shady stuff.[/quote]

Even with this mess up, they probably still turned a profit on every game sold/given away.

[quote name='Tigerman']The coupon says Buy 2 Get 1. Where's the "B1G1" as indicated in the thread title?[/quote]
Sorry folks, I haven't checked the thread in a few days so I didn't notice the change. I've changed the coupon on the front page to the coupon saved by chasemurata (Thanks!). Gotta love Gamestop. Either:
A)There was a HUGE typo in a MASS email that took several DAYS to fix.
or
B)Gamestapo strikes again? :X

Sorry for any confusion. Good luck getting the coupon to still work. I see no reason why they wouldn't honor something like that.

bread's done
Back