[back in stock] Sony LocationFree® Base Station Model LF-B10 $34.98 shipped

[quote name='Watchman']D'oh. I knew that before I even saw the reply. But I don't understand what he means by "unless your DVR is a computer".[/QUOTE]

I mean you need a way to control your DVR. The LF player does this. So, unless your DVR is a computer you built and control via the internet, you need a LF player or Slingbox to watch your recorded content.

Got it?

hmm... just went all the way through final checkout page, and it stayed at the $84.98.. dead deal? or am i doing something wrong here? Doesn't seem to be taking that $50 off.

Back in Stock at 3:30AM EST? The check out page lists it as it may not be in stock. Also, as psychoxfoo said... the coupon isn't listed as applied.

Well, I tried to order this last night/this morning. I never got a confirmation email. So, I checked my order status just now. It says I placed an order for nothing for $0.00 and free shipping.

I wonder when my nothing will arrive...

I'm impressed thus far. After an initial run of B&W video, I figured out how to fix that with my SA8300HD DVR. This is awesome.

Now, if I can figure out how to use it at school where they don't have WiFi...

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm impressed thus far. After an initial run of B&W video, I figured out how to fix that with my SA8300HD DVR. This is awesome.

Now, if I can figure out how to use it at school where they don't have WiFi...[/quote]My wife and I are impressed too! She had a small TV w/o a set-top box in her home-office. Comcast keeps taking away channels from the no-box lineup. So I've connected the B10 to a DVR (the same one you mentioned above ;)) downstairs. Works extremely well on her secondary computer. She can now free up the space the old TV was taking up, view every channel we are subscribed to and every DVR recording. Very cool! A great deal for < $40. Gotta thank the OP again! :bow:

Connected my PSP, which works well but takes some hits from time to time since its wireless. My wife's office computer never has an issue since it's hard-wired.

I'll keep an eye out for the newer models to drop in price now that I've had a chance to play with this one.:D

[quote name='Vader582']My wife and are impressed too! She had a small TV w/o a set-top box in her home-office. Comcast keeps taking away channels from the no-box lineup. So I've connected the B10 to a DVR (the same one you mentioned above ;)) downstairs. Works extremely well on her secondary computer. She can now free up the space the old TV was taking up, view every channel we are subscribed to and every DVR recording. Very cool! A great deal for < $40. Gotta thank the OP again! :bow:

Connected my PSP, which works well but takes some hits from time to time since its wireless. My wife's office computer never has an issue since it's hard-wired.

I'll keep an eye out for the newer models to drop in price now that I've had a chance to play with this one.:D[/QUOTE]

I assume you connected to the #2 Out of the DVR? All I got was B&W when I was connected to the main, and that wouldn't have worked anyways because I have a component-capable TV.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I assume you connected to the #2 Out of the DVR? All I got was B&W when I was connected to the main, and that wouldn't have worked anyways because I have a component-capable TV.[/quote]
Correct. I connected via the reg. RCA connections on Out 1 at first as well. I could hear everything but the picture was basically rainbowy snow. I think if we didn't have the component connections in use, Out 1 would have worked.

This was posted before but the thread was moved.

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...=home&cmArea=SEARCH&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

It is now 49.99 instead of 34.98.

Here is a link to the original thread. Admins can delete this thread and return the original thread if needed.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183172

UPDATE:
I added the item to the cart. I'm from CA and I get taxed for this item. I think the delivery fee is region/price dependent. It used to show charges for shipping when it was 34.98, now shipping is FREE!. Item totaled about 53$ after tax for delivery to CA.

The thread belongs in the Other Deals and requests, so I'll merge this into the pre-existing one. As this is back in stock though, I'll leave the redirect up for about 8 hours in case this is something big that a lot of people want.

I'm just curious, but how exactly do you set one of these up? Do you connect it to a modem, cable box, or cable wall outlet, etc...? Do you need a DVR, Satellite Dish, or even basic cable in order to use one of these? I apologize, but I guess I am just a bit confused on the installation process.

Also, can you only receive local channels, or can you access Dish stations...?

[quote name='xMATTxEDGEx']I'm just curious, but how exactly do you set one of these up? Do you connect it to a modem, cable box, or cable wall outlet, etc...? Do you need a DVR, Satellite Dish, or even basic cable in order to use one of these? I apologize, but I guess I am just a bit confused on the installation process.

Also, can you only receive local channels, or can you access Dish stations...?[/quote]

I just set mine up today. You basically connect the base station to any device with a video and audio output (yellow cables and red and white cables). some TVs have video out. dvd players have obviously video outs. the base station connects to a router to stream videos into a private internet server for you to watch them, exclusive only to you. you're allowed one device to be registered for viewing (let's say the psp). the psp then get's to watch whatever is playing on your DVD or TV. the beauty of it is, the base station can actually turn on or turn off your DVD or TV by it's IR blaster (you stick it or use tape to point it into the DVD or TV's remote receiver). all this done by the internet. Being at starbucks and using their wifi, you can access your videos at home.

fucking lame... Not only is it more now $49.99, but it won't let me add the $50 off because it expired when they were out of stock.

I'm over it.

I hope staples follows the same path as Comp USA.

[quote name='Alucard400']you're allowed one device to be registered for viewing (let's say the psp). the psp then get's to watch whatever is playing on your DVD or TV.[/quote]Actaully, I've got several devices registered that can log into the Base Station. You can only have one device viewing at a time though.
I think only having one device work is part of the older software that comes in the box. You're better off avoiding it and downloading the more recent LF player.

Can anyone explain something to me. Lets say I bought this item and hooked it up and such. Now. I have Dish Network. Lets say im using this on my laptop at work. Lets also say someone else is at my home watching TV. What would happen? Would we both be able to watch TV at the same time and different programs? Sorry if that sounded dumb but I am dumb about this stuff :D

[quote name='Vader582']Actaully, I've got several devices registered that can log into the Base Station. You can only have one device viewing at a time though.
I think only having one device work is part of the older software that comes in the box. You're better off avoiding it and downloading the more recent LF player.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, figured that out about ten seconds after I used the license on my PC.

That free license only works on PCs, not WM devices, correct? I want to watch TV on my unlimited data plan.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Yeah, figured that out about ten seconds after I used the license on my PC.

That free license only works on PCs, not WM devices, correct? I want to watch TV on my unlimited data plan.[/quote]
Not sure about WM devices, as I don't have one. Sorry.

[quote name='Hibiwa']You'd be watching the exact same thing. Battle it out by changing channels to annoy each other.[/quote]
The LF player won't allow 2 viewers at once. Whoever was watching first, is the winner. If someone attempts to connect while the LF station is already in use, they get a pop-up that says the LF Terminal is already in use. Also that second person cannot kick the first one off.

It's more like the LF player only allows one computer/psp to access the feed at any given time.

pimpinc333
was referring to watching from a laptop at work, and someone else watching at home on the regular TV. The LF would be mirroring the program and thus both will be watching the same program.

Doesn't matter who was watching first because you have remote control access and can flip to whatever you want to piss off the other if needed.

[quote name='Hibiwa']pimpinc333 was referring to watching from a laptop at work, and someone else watching at home on the regular TV. The LF would be mirroring the program and thus both will be watching the same program.

Doesn't matter who was watching first because you have remote control access and can flip to whatever you want to piss off the other if needed.[/quote]Ah I see. I misunderstood. :)

No worries. You were technically correct, just not in the mentioned scenario. ;)

Gah, I just have to say the LocationFree base station and player is such a great device. Absolute must have for PSP owners.

It's still a great bargain at $50 for what it does. Keep an eye out to see if the price goes back down and have Staples do an adjustment.

Mine came in, unfortunately I've just now realized I have nothing to really hook it up to. I have my antenna plugged directly into my TV - looks like I need to pick up an old VCR or something with a tuner to get this thing working.

Oh well, still a sweet deal for $38 shipped!

[Edit]Just found a portable DVD player I could mess around with - I'm actually really impressed with how well the thing works on the PSP and over the home network on other PC's - and the new software allows you to register with a device without needing to input a serial. Hooray!

Man, awesome deal. Big, big thanks to the OP for this. I have a feeling this thing is going to come in handy. [/Edit]

where didyou get the new software?

[edit] nvm. I just read Vader's post and he gave the link to the updated software. THanks!

Just got a chance to try it out on my psp. Makes me even more glad to have bought it. Can't wait for WM6 software to be released to I can use it with my cell phone

[quote name='fieldkillah']Just got a chance to try it out on my psp. Makes me even more glad to have bought it. Can't wait for WM6 software to be released to I can use it with my cell phone[/quote]

Do you have any issues with sound on your PSP? I can barely hear DVD's that I pipe through to the thing - I wonder if I need to get an amplifier or some old receiver I can use to pump up the volume..

Hey everyone who ordered it for 49.99. The price is back down to 34.98, so you should hopefully be able to get a price adjustment.
*edit* Just got the email. Price adjustment successful

[quote name='Teqonix']Do you have any issues with sound on your PSP? I can barely hear DVD's that I pipe through to the thing - I wonder if I need to get an amplifier or some old receiver I can use to pump up the volume..[/quote]
I have it attached to my cable box, the sound is a little low, but there is an option to boost the volume just a little bit. It's in the menu when you press triangle.

Hi guys I called my local staples and the rep said this device is only available online...Also the link or the item doesnt show the item in stock anymore.

[quote name='boli']Hi guys I called my local staples and the rep said this device is only available online...Also the link or the item doesnt show the item in stock anymore.[/quote]

Deal's been dead for over a week. Now this is more a discussion of those that got it.

[quote name='MaXx']Just wanted to let you guys know that this is back up right now. I just put in an order myself.[/quote]

geesh it says out of stock again

I'm glad to see this deal keeps popping up. This thing is highly useful and works great. My wife uses it daily. In fact, she uses it so much that I can't log into it from work. :lol:

I currently have Dish Network Satellite TV, and am still a little confused on the device set up... If I want to want my Dish channels via the Base Station how would I go about configuring it to the cable box/television? Also, if a router is not present in the room would I need to buy a wireless router to transmit a signal to my wired router a floor about my TV set? Please help!

[quote name='xMATTxEDGEx']I currently have Dish Network Satellite TV, and am still a little confused on the device set up... If I want to want my Dish channels via the Base Station how would I go about configuring it to the cable box/television? Also, if a router is not present in the room would I need to buy a wireless router to transmit a signal to my wired router a floor about my TV set? Please help![/quote]
Not specifically sure about your Dish setup, as I don't have one but connecting to one of the a/v outs (more than likely you have 2 outs, choose the second) should be easy enough. You just use regular RCA cables (or s-video, if you prefer) and connect the LF station to the Dish box. The instructions are clear so you shouldn't have a problem. If you already have a wireless router in the house, you probably would just need a wireless bridge/adapter to connect to your network. However the bridge will be more expensive than the LF station. :cry: The other option is to find a way to place the LF close to your wireless router and Dish TV box.

Great. Now it's back, and $15 more than it was before. I'm gonna pass now since MGS4's bundle pack is about to hit next week.

So can I stream say a dvr recording from my htpc to this to watch on my bedroom tv?

Edit: Looks like I can, but will it play windvr files and will it recognize my worldbook network harddrive on the network?

I have mine currently connected to a slim ps2 and using it as a remote dvd player (the slim model includes an ir reciever, and the psp settings includes a ps2 remote) -- mainly using it to finally catch up on all those anime dvds ive bought along the way.

I'm wondering if this will work with the nyko bluwave remote for ps3 (currently on sale for $9.99 as part of the gamestop game days sale), of which the usb dongle is an ir reciever... perhaps could create a remote blu-ray player....

Yea. Looks like they took the page down entirely. Darn. Had this page bookmarked and checked it every hour for a few days. Never got it.

bread's done
Back