Back to the Future Trilogy Blu-Ray $25 @ Amazon, $15 @ Target

sobjw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
UPDATE 6/15 11:06am PST: Price on Amazon is back to $24.99 and it will be in stock on Friday.

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Future-A...ef=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1307261007&sr=1-1

There was a bundle with a Delorian Hot Wheels car for the same price but Amazon quickly sold out of it.
http://www.amazon.com/Future-Trilog...KY0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308154093&sr=8-3"

Price at Target should still be $14.99, not sure of the current Best Buy price.

[quote name='toshii22']I got it from my local Target for 14.99 + Tax so the Sunday deal is for the Blu-ray set for sure.

Here is the picture I took.

imag0105et.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'm going to try this at K-Mart. I hope it works![/QUOTE]

KMart doesn't price match. Haven't in a long time, if ever.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'm chatting with them (Amazon) now to see if they'll price match....wish me luck![/QUOTE]

Good luck. As of this morning it was $54.99 or close to that on Target.com. They'd have to call a store with the DCPI to confirm the price. Plus as of last night the non-hot wheels bundle was ranked #1 overall on movies, so they're selling just fine at $25.

I've got a Target practically up the street from my office, so I took a quick stop in when I went out to grab lunch. No luck -- not even an empty space on the shelf where it would have been (I don't honestly remember whether they had it in stock before or not, though). Oh well, guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Although I did think of one thing while I was there, seeing the other box sets -- I hope that I can get a copy that they haven't fucked up with their goddamn spider wrap. If not, I'll be paying the extra $5 to Amazon after all.

[quote name='arcane93']I've got a Target practically up the street from my office, so I took a quick stop in when I went out to grab lunch. No luck -- not even an empty space on the shelf where it would have been (I don't honestly remember whether they had it in stock before or not, though). Oh well, guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Although I did think of one thing while I was there, seeing the other box sets -- I hope that I can get a copy that they haven't fucked up with their goddamn spider wrap. If not, I'll be paying the extra $5 to Amazon after all.[/QUOTE]

I called Target and the rep said they should have them in tomorrow for $19.99. I'm going to check as soon as I get off from work.

With tax Target would be $22, plus I'd have to drive over there, which I never go to Target. So I think Amazon is great for me. Thanks!

[quote name='MorPhiend']With tax Target would be $22, plus I'd have to drive over there, which I never go to Target. So I think Amazon is great for me. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Good point, it would be out of my way to go to Target especially after work. I don't know what time they receive their shipments as well...

[quote name='MorPhiend']With tax Target would be $22, plus I'd have to drive over there, which I never go to Target. So I think Amazon is great for me. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Though I hope my copy is the one with the tabs rather than that awful looking packaging.

Universal will do anything to get this crappy release off store shelves won't they?

Not enough people must be falling into buying their horrid transfers.

$20 @ Target (or if Amazon matches) sounds like a good deal, I don't really care about any packaging or transfer issues. Never bought the movie/trilogy before, so it'll be nice to see it again.

As for the Hot Wheels: don't be bummed or suckered into paying more for that version. The car itself will show up on the shelves with other Hot Wheels soon if it isn't there already. It wasn't too tough to find the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 or any of the 5+ Batmobiles that have released over the past couple of years.

I bought a little Johnny Lightning BTTF Delorean years ago that's much better all around than anything Hot Wheels can do. Rubber Tires, very nice small details, etc.

[quote name='Xizer']Universal will do anything to get this crappy release off store shelves won't they?

Not enough people must be falling into buying their horrid transfers.[/QUOTE]

Funny that you should say that, given that the general consensus among reviewers who know anything about these movies seems to be that the transfer is pretty good given the original source material. Remember, these were 80s films -- they're not going to look as pristine as a modern film would. Maybe you'd prefer that they "digitally enhance" them to make them look shiny and new, but I'd personally prefer that they keep them as they were when I saw them in the theater.

What does having been made in the 80's have to do with how well a film looks? If it's shot on 35mm or better they can clean up very well if the studio puts the effort into it, assuming the actual masters have not been physically damaged in anyway and even then they can work with that in some cases.

[quote name='Drahken']What does having been made in the 80's have to do with how well a film looks? If it's shot on 35mm or better they can clean up very well if the studio puts the effort into it, assuming the actual masters have not been physically damaged in anyway and even then they can work with that in some cases.[/QUOTE]

It has to do with a number of factors -- the film stock and cameras used, the development processes, the age of the film, and most notably, the way that the special effects and such were done at the time (there were no digital effects, they had to be optically created -- the tricks involved in doing that often resulted in compromises in image quality). They can only clean the film up to the extent that the image is there to clean up. Anything beyond that, and you're getting into the realm of digital enhancement (which would bring with it complaints on the other side of it looking too processed -- see the newer blu-ray edition of Predator). These films didn't look spectacular even at the time, you can't expect them to suddenly become that way by today's even higher standards.

[quote name='arcane93']Funny that you should say that, given that the general consensus among reviewers who know anything about these movies seems to be that the transfer is pretty good given the original source material. Remember, these were 80s films -- they're not going to look as pristine as a modern film would. Maybe you'd prefer that they "digitally enhance" them to make them look shiny and new, but I'd personally prefer that they keep them as they were when I saw them in the theater.[/QUOTE]

That's funny. You stated the complete opposite of reality. "It looks fine" is the consensus among reviewers who don't know what they're talking about or paid off reviewers. The problem with these transfers isn't that they've been left alone - because THEY HAVEN'T. In fact, that's what everyone's been bitching about. All the "digital enhancement" Universal has added to this release and destroyed the picture quality.

Here is a PROPER review of this trilogy set:
http://www.doblu.com/2010/10/30/back-to-the-future-part-iii-review/
http://www.doblu.com/tag/back-to-the-future-25th-anniversary-trilogy/

Sadly, one of the best films in the trilogy is destroyed on Blu-ray. If the DNR on the first was evident, atrocious on the second, it’s flat out offensive here. From the opening moments of the film with Marty and the Doc at the theater, it’s a mess. There isn’t a lick of fine detail to be had, faces unbearably smooth and processed. Grain is also absent, almost entirely in fact. The few scenes where it is left on the print seems to be more of an accident.

Oddly, while the previous two discs were encoded with VC-1, the third film is given an AVC effort. Why is anyone’s guess, and it doesn’t make a lick of difference. Better compression won’t save what has become a butchered film. Hardly a second of this movie even qualifies as “good.” Smearing occurs in abundance, although in patches, not consistently. Any shots with the camera pulled back are a nightmare, the early sequence where Marty shows off his cowboy outfit to Doc in 1955 flat out embarrassing. It’s amazing anyone gave the okay to something this sloppy, messy, and unnatural.

Since most of the film is shot during the day, edge enhancement again becomes abrasive. It’s odd too, the obvious sharpening having no positive effect on the overall look, the generous helping of grain reduction causing the image to appear impossibly soft. In-focus shots of the town or mountain ranges are hilariously awful, the initial view of the clock tower containing a full-on halo around it. Hat brims, legs, faces, you name it. They all carry something resembling a religious symbol at times.

This is certainly the most unique looking film of the series, all the more regrettable that it fares the worst due to the extensive tinkering. Colors leave their modern, natural tints for warmer pastures, about the only thing the DNR wasn’t able to alter. It’s a true western, dusty look, pleasing to the eye and rich. Certain aspects do carry some pop, the purple dress worn by Mary Steenburgen for the finale on the train quite vivid. Greens have some life as well, although definitely veering warm.

Black levels are a step up, save for the visual effects where they take on a bit of a digital glow. A minute amount of crush is visible at times, the worst quite minor in Steenburgen’s hair at 1:13:04 as Doc breaks up with her. This is at least a step up from the second film where they faltered. If the positives must continue, the source itself seems to be in great shape. Not an ounce of damage occurs anywhere, and that goes for all three films. Considering how the fine detail was wiped from the frame, it’s no surprise the visible damage was too though.

Having watched this set myself I can confirm that it looks just as horrible as the review says. Universal took an already weak 2k transfer and destroyed it even further by adding in so much digital processing; HDTV broadcasts prior to this Blu-ray's release actually look better because they used an older master without all the image quality ruining processing smothered on.

I wouldn't buy this DNR'd crap if it was a dollar.

[quote name='Drahken']What does having been made in the 80's have to do with how well a film looks? If it's shot on 35mm or better they can clean up very well if the studio puts the effort into it, assuming the actual masters have not been physically damaged in anyway and even then they can work with that in some cases.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with it. See "The Wizard of Oz" for an example of a proper transfer. It looks leagues better than this and Oz was shot before World War II.

Yikes. Sorry about the wait everybody. As has stated before it IS he regular 25th anniversary ed. WITH digital copies. It isn't a temporary markdown or sale, but the (new) regular price. I don't work with the website so I don't know if that will change or if it's a n in-store only price. Thanks for your patience and good luck to everyone.

And sdcranford, I'm sorry your store is a mess, I don't know if it's had a revision but it should be better than what you described.

Eh, whatever, you've made up your mind, so I'm not going to argue it further. I've seen the first movie on BD (admittedly, I haven't seen the third one which the review that you posted indicates is worse), and it looked fine to me. Not incredible, but more than serviceable. And honestly, it's the best we've got, and I wouldn't count on them doing a new version in this media generation (then again, they could be selling this off cheap to clear out their stock of the old version before putting out a new one -- would explain the sudden steep price cut, anyway -- but that's making the huge assumption that they think they could sell enough of a new version to make it worth doing). Regardless of any problems that it may have, it's still better than the DVD or the VHS. So buy it if you want it, don't buy it if you don't. *shrug*

Man, I went out to movie last nigth and miss out on the one with hot wheel last night, Can anyone confirm Back to the future set would be 19.99 this week?

[quote name='Shoulda Been Harvey']That's about right.[/QUOTE]

Um, whatever. I could quote the reviews that I was looking at as well, but since he'd just declare them to be "paid off" (like these companies have nothing better to do than pay off review sites that the vast majority of blu-ray buyers don't even look at), it's not a discussion worth continuing.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Man, I went out to movie last nigth and miss out on the one with hot wheel last night, Can anyone confirm Back to the future set would be 19.99 this week?[/QUOTE]

I called Target and rep said it would be $19.99 tomorrow, and they should have them in stock...I'm tempted to check tomorrow but I don't know when they receive their shipments...

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I called Target and rep said it would be $19.99 tomorrow, and they should have them in stock...I'm tempted to check tomorrow but I don't know when they receive their shipments...[/QUOTE]

From reading the posts it sounds like Target has these already in stock with the other 6/7 street-dated releases. They should be out on the shelves somewhere when they open on Tuesday morning.

It shouldn't be too hard to find: either the new releases endcap or the BD movie box set section, or both, or neither, or by the registers...yeah, Target does kind of suck when it comes to inventory placement. Their saving grace is the computerized system that can tell any employee exactly where it's hiding (sometimes in the back).

Meh. I forgot about the complaints and controversy around the release of this. At $20-$25, I'm buying, and if they re-release it and the re-release is better... yay, I'll get it.

The target deal is temping but it would only save me $3, and i'd lose the car. So... I think I'll stick with Amazon.

[quote name='arcane93']Eh, whatever, you've made up your mind, so I'm not going to argue it further. I've seen the first movie on BD (admittedly, I haven't seen the third one which the review that you posted indicates is worse), and it looked fine to me. Not incredible, but more than serviceable. And honestly, it's the best we've got, and I wouldn't count on them doing a new version in this media generation (then again, they could be selling this off cheap to clear out their stock of the old version before putting out a new one -- would explain the sudden steep price cut, anyway -- but that's making the huge assumption that they think they could sell enough of a new version to make it worth doing). Regardless of any problems that it may have, it's still better than the DVD or the VHS. So buy it if you want it, don't buy it if you don't. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Entirely the wrong way to look at it. This behavior should not be encouraged. Just because "it looks better than the DVD version" doesn't mean this is in anyway acceptable for a Blu-ray release. When you hand them your money for this crappy release, they win. And they'll keep putting out crap because sheep will keep paying for crap.

[quote name='arcane93']Um, whatever. I could quote the reviews that I was looking at as well, but since he'd just declare them to be "paid off" (like these companies have nothing better to do than pay off review sites that the vast majority of blu-ray buyers don't even look at), it's not a discussion worth continuing.[/QUOTE]

It's a well known fact that everybody in the gaming industry gets paid off. Why do you think shlock like Call of Duty gets ridiculously inflated review scores and awards year after year?

Why would you assume that Hollywood is more noble?

The fact that these reviewers have encouraged you to purchase this shoddy product is proof enough that paying off reviewers boosts sales.

[quote name='Xizer']
It's a well known fact that everybody in the gaming industry gets paid off. [/QUOTE]

You just lost all your credibility son.

Aside from the tinfoil hat chatter, I think this post is relevant:

[quote name='sdcranford']UPDATE: Just left Best Buy across the street from Target. Grabbed the trilogy and went to customer service. Gave the lady the phone number & dcpi for Target. She called, they looked it up and she sold it to me for $19.99. I will post a pic of the receipt when I get home since I can't from my iPhone.

The packaging isn't the same as the video posted on the 1st page. The disks are held in with regular center tabs.[/QUOTE]

Different packaging it seems. Any other notable changes?

[quote name='Xizer']Entirely the wrong way to look at it. This behavior should not be encouraged. Just because "it looks better than the DVD version" doesn't mean this is in anyway acceptable for a Blu-ray release. When you hand them your money for this crappy release, they win. And they'll keep putting out crap because sheep will keep paying for crap.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so let's say for a moment that your little protest is actually successful, and enough people don't hand them money for "this crappy release". Now, let's say that you're a studio exec looking at the numbers and seeing that you didn't sell as many copies as you wanted or expected to. Which conclusion do you draw:

1. "Oh, if only we had done a little better job on this release, all of those other people would have bought it and we'd be rolling in the money! We'll have to do better next time!"

or
  2. "Huh. Guess there's not as much of a market for these types of titles as we thought. Let's not bother releasing any more. Maybe people will buy more romantic comedies instead."
If you picked number 1, you're wrong. And even if you write them nerd-raging letters going off on the quality of their release to let them know what you're doing, they're going to write you off as a lone loony, not as a concerned fan with a valid point who represents the viewpoint of many other concerned fans.

And, going back to your earlier example, comparing Back to the Future to The Wizard of Oz is just ridiculous. The Wizard of Oz, with its (deserved or undeserved, however you feel about it) status as an all-time classic, went through a very extensive (and, more notably, very expensive) frame-by-frame restoration. They're not going to do that for most, or even many, movies. I certainly wouldn't expect it for Back to the Future.

Here's the thing -- at this point, the Back to the Future movies are fairly niche titles; the sequels even more so than the first movie. They all made their money in their time and they have a fair cult following, which is why we even got them on blu-ray as quickly as we did, but they're not huge sellers (in a relative sense) today. To an extent, they're fairly dated and don't hold up well for modern audiences because of it. They appeal to a certain market -- primarily people who were young when the movies came out and are buying them for nostalgia. While the studio is certainly going to put them out there to grab the cash they can get out of them, they're not going to go to a huge amount of effort for them.

So yes, honestly, to an extent I feel glad to even have these movies at all. Could they have been better? Probably. Will refusing to buy it now get me a better version later? Probably not. And at this point, it's only $20, not $80. I can live with that much more.

[quote name='Xizer']It's a well known fact that everybody in the gaming industry gets paid off. Why do you think shlock like Call of Duty gets ridiculously inflated review scores and awards year after year?

Why would you assume that Hollywood is more noble?[/QUOTE]

I don't think that Hollywood is more noble, but I think that you're very confused on the importance placed on various publications. Yes, the gaming industry "pays off" the major gaming magazines -- hell, just having "official" status makes OXM, Playstation Magazine, and Nintendo Power suspect (and Game Informer's ties to GameStop, etc.). They also likely "pay off" major gaming sites like IGN -- though probably more through advertising (and the threat of advertising being pulled) than through direct pay-offs.

Likewise, I'm sure that Hollywood pays off Entertainment Weekly, Vanity Fair, etc. in the same way. I would be suspicious of those publications, yes. But most blu-ray review sites? They make their money the same way that CAG does -- through banner ads and Amazon click-through links. If DVDBeaver, for example, is making so much payola, you'd think they could afford a better web designer.

Otherwise, well shit, if running a blu-ray review site is the way to the big Hollywood bucks, I'm starting mine tomorrow after work! ;)

[quote name='Xellos2099']Another rumor say it will be 14.99 this sunday....... hmmmm... anyone got next week adv?[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear this at? I'm curious, lol.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Another rumor say it will be 14.99 this sunday....... hmmmm... anyone got next week adv?[/QUOTE]

According to this post, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296554 , the sales price is going to be $14.99 starting Sunday. This is also their price adjustment policy if you picked it up at the price of $19.99. "Target Stores Price Adjustment Policy

• If Target advertises a lower price either the same week or the week following your purchase, bring in your original sales receipt to Guest Services for an adjustment.
• Exclusions: Price adjustments are not made for clearance prices or Target.com prices."

I'm going to pick it up today(if they have it in stock) and I'll get it price adjusted come Sunday. I want to make sure I have a copy. I hope this helps you out.

I also checked my Amazon account, and it said "Shipping Soon" so if you want to cancel your order you have to do it soon. I actually had to chat with a rep to cancel my order because they were getting ready to charge my card...

Last edited by a moderator:
damn, this deal just keeps getting better and better! can't wait to hit Target up during lunch. You cannot beat 3 of the best classic films for $5 ea, no matter what the quality. Hell, I picked up a 3 movie 'Ernest' DVD package for $5 at Target just outta principle..

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I also checked my Amazon account, and it said "Shipping Soon" so if you want to cancel your order you have to do it soon. I actually had to chat with a rep to cancel my order because they were getting ready to charge my card...[/QUOTE]

Did you order it with or without the Hot Wheels? My order with the Hot Wheels still just says "not yet shipped" and can still be cancelled. Hopefully that doesn't change within the next hour or so -- going to get ready for work as quickly as possible and then stop by Target on my way there.

Also, if this is a universal price drop, it's interesting that Best Buy still hasn't picked up on it. It's still $54.99 on their site.

[quote name='arcane93']Also, if this is a universal price drop, it's interesting that Best Buy still hasn't picked up on it. It's still $54.99 on their site.[/QUOTE]

but I thought all the talk was about a different 'sku' and possible re-package..

I was gonna ask yesterday if anyone was going to have the balls to take the OG set up to the CS counter at Target (b/c I'm sure they have 1 or 2 left) and 'force' them to PM it to the new price..something like:

CAG: "I tried to check out with this b/c the shelf sticker said $19.99, but it rang up as $XX.XX"
Rep: "Well sir, it is because its a different SKU.."
CAG: "I know nothing about what you call SKUs, all I know is the shelf sticker said $19.99 and 'Back to the Future Triology' Thats what this is, right?"
Rep: "Well not technically..."
CAG: "What do you mean not tecnically? Am I trying to buy The Mummy triology or something? No, I am holding the Back to the Future triology which specifically states its $19.99, whatever this SKU thing is or not, so please before I get hostile..."

[quote name='token2k6']but I thought all the talk was about a different 'sku' and possible re-package..[/QUOTE]

Well, I searched by title, not SKU. So even if it is a new SKU, it's still odd that Best Buy doesn't have it yet. Though honestly, at least the outside packaging on mine looks the same as ever.

I went and picked one up on my way to work. I don't know if they might have had another whole pile of them in the back room, but they only had four copies out on the shelf. At least they hadn't spider-wrapped them.

So now how does this price adjustment to $14.99 on Sunday work? Do I need to wait until then to open it, or won't it matter if it's already been opened?

[quote name='arcane93']So now how does this price adjustment to $14.99 on Sunday work? Do I need to wait until then to open it, or won't it matter if it's already been opened?[/QUOTE]

nah man, I wouldn't even think you'd need to bring the product back to the store..plus, what I love about Target, if you paid with Debit/Credit, you don't even need the receipt! However, I guess in that case, you would need the product or grab one off the floor really quick b/c they will need to scan the UPC.

and aracane, what is different about it? can we get a cellphone pic or something?? IF you were worried about the spider-wrap, that clues me in to flimsy, non-sturdy packaging...

[quote name='token2k6']and aracane, what is different about it? can we get a cellphone pic or something?? IF you were worried about the spider-wrap, that clues me in to flimsy, non-sturdy packaging...[/QUOTE]

Like I said, as far as I can tell (not having opened it yet), it's not any different.

Though honestly, the packaging on this one has always been kind of flimsy. And spider wrap messes up much more solid packages than this one -- what made me concerned about it was seeing copies of the Alien Anthology (which has a pretty solid cardboard case, much stronger than the slipcover on this) in the store yesterday tha had been messed up by it.

[quote name='arcane93']Did you order it with or without the Hot Wheels? My order with the Hot Wheels still just says "not yet shipped" and can still be cancelled. Hopefully that doesn't change within the next hour or so -- going to get ready for work as quickly as possible and then stop by Target on my way there.[/QUOTE]

I ordered with the Hot Wheels and the title said "shipping soon" that's why immediately canceled it so I could pick it up Sunday for the $14.99 price.

[quote name='arcane93']

So now how does this price adjustment to $14.99 on Sunday work? Do I need to wait until then to open it, or won't it matter if it's already been opened?[/QUOTE] Open it, watch it, enjoy it. All you need is the receipt.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']According to this post, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296554 , the sales price is going to be $14.99 starting Sunday. This is also their price adjustment policy if you picked it up at the price of $19.99. "Target Stores Price Adjustment Policy

• If Target advertises a lower price either the same week or the week following your purchase, bring in your original sales receipt to Guest Services for an adjustment.
• Exclusions: Price adjustments are not made for clearance prices or Target.com prices."

I'm going to pick it up today(if they have it in stock) and I'll get it price adjusted come Sunday. I want to make sure I have a copy. I hope this helps you out.

I also checked my Amazon account, and it said "Shipping Soon" so if you want to cancel your order you have to do it soon. I actually had to chat with a rep to cancel my order because they were getting ready to charge my card...[/QUOTE]

But it doesn't say if it's the Blu-ray set or DVD set..wish it would be the Blu-ray set though.

[quote name='toshii22']But it doesn't say if it's the Blu-ray set or DVD set..wish it would be the Blu-ray set though.[/QUOTE]

Well, it should be possible to find ad scans to confirm or deny it within the next day or two. Though meh, if that turns out to be the DVD or whatever, I'm absolutely fine with the $19.99 that I paid.

Scooped up a copy @ the target by my job, price came up to $34.99 n I was bout to throw it across the store, till I asked a rep n he said yep that's the right price for the dvd version; the blu ray version dropped to $19.99 today though.-__- I should a known by the vhs size case I was holding lol. Sadly no car included but at least I saved $3bucks n having to wait for it to be shipped! Lol

ok, well I guess this is a re-package. the case doesn't have the spring things, which kind of had me intrigued. Just regular old push-button type. I'm not even sure they reprinted the insert b/c it still had an advert for Despicable Me (Look for it on BD or DVD)

I stopped by a best buy and they had identical copies, but still at $54.99. Maybe this is a big fluke or something price wise at Target, like maybe the DVD version was meant for this price instead of $35 like EdblD718 pointed out..

bread's done
Back