Bad News Brown and Mike Awesome's Memorial Wrestling Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='KaneRobot']Working on it now. I'll put it up before I go to bed tonight.

Horse, I'll PM you this week, maybe we can meet up. I'll ride you around the concession area and we can get pictures.[/quote]

Careful what you wish for ;)

And I definitely think Kane should get a topic down the line. His best years are behind him, but he's still been a mostly entertaining fixture for the past decade.

Ya, the same could've been said for Booker T a year ago though, and things finally worked out for him. We can only hope the same for Mr. Jacobs.

[quote name='JJSP']It's because amongst Austin, Rock, Hogan, Savage, or the nWo, Bret Hart was the first "small" champion that could wrestle. It's not because of his drawing power, it's because Bret Hart represents the shift from the cartoony champions to athletic champions. The IWC is full of smarky kids who'd rather see an hour long wrestling match than see an epic Hogan/Warrior match, and Bret Hart represents that attitude much more than he does the WWF of the '80's.[/quote]

Savage and Flair both held the WWE title for extended periods before Bret, so I don't know if I can accept the first small champion that could wrestle theory.

I think it was the pink tights... maybe the sunglasses he put on the kids, or maybe because he came off as though he generally cared about his fans, that people flocked to him. Bret was always pretty honest about where he stood on things, and was someone I believe people could relate to, not a larger than life "cartoony" character like Hogan, but rather a regular guy that made it to the top. Either way, I think Bret gets too much credit in the IWC sometimes, while they shit on Hogan, despite all Hogan did. Egomania aside, there'd be no WM if there'd been no Hogan.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']:whistle2:s you don't want to un-lock the previously started Jake topic before starting another new one?

As for Bret, I'm not putting the blame squarely on him, but he didn't draw like Austin/Rock, he didn't draw like Hogan/Savage, he didn't draw like the nWo, yet among much of the IWC he's God, not a God, but God, and I just don't get it.[/quote]
Part of the thing with Bret is that he truly loved the business and when he walked away, he really did walk away. Second, no one could tell a story like him in the ring. No one.

The double turn at Wrestlemania with Austin was brilliant. I haven't seen a turn like that in wrestling since. It was so understated and beautifully executed and it worked on a deeply psychological level with American audiences. They knew Austin was a heel but he wasn't a coward. He never ran. He never hid. He took his fight to you and Hart took that metality and twisted it into something the audience could rally behind in this one match. The turn was based in the little character nuances of Hart and Austin rather than a full blown heel turn that we've all come to expect.

I personally think that Bret Hart was the most intelligent heel the WWF/WWE has ever had. Better than HHH. Better than Flair. His heel wasn't a cartoon and character his wasn't forced. I remember him being carted around in his wheelchair and always getting those cheers in Canada and boos in the USA which was, again, brilliantly executed. It was just the sense that his character honestly believed in his heart that he was right and he brought that into his matches which pulled us into them.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Savage and Flair both held the WWE title for extended periods before Bret, so I don't know if I can accept the first small champion that could wrestle theory.

I think it was the pink tights... maybe the sunglasses he put on the kids, or maybe because he came off as though he generally cared about his fans, that people flocked to him. Bret was always pretty honest about where he stood on things, and was someone I believe people could relate to, not a larger than life "cartoony" character like Hogan, but rather a regular guy that made it to the top. Either way, I think Bret gets too much credit in the IWC sometimes, while they shit on Hogan, despite all Hogan did. Egomania aside, there'd be no WM if there'd been no Hogan.[/QUOTE]

Savage, yes. Flair... no. He held it for a few months each time.

This reply officially ends the thread.. RIP, guys.

Who needs a thread next?

(technically i'm #1000, unless you want to count the OP..)

[quote name='Demolition Man']We badly need to give...

Bryan Danielson

... some Wrestling Topic Love.[/quote]

I hope this is a joke. You kinda have to make it before you can have a topic don't ya think?:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back