Badman UMD preorder, $19.99 on Rosenqueen - only shipping if 1,000 are placed!

MasamuneNKX

CAGiversary!
Didn't see any mention of this, and I know it's not technically a "deal", I didn't know where else to put it and thought it was worth a mention for anybody who might be interested.

Found on Rosenqueen's website: they're gauging interest in a UMD version of Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!, which has only been available on PSN as a download thus far. The UMD version will be $19.99 (which aside from shipping appears to be the same price as the downloadable version), but they will only actually produce the game if 1,000 preorders are placed. The info on the site says that they will not charge until orders are actually shipped, and to not place orders purely to increase the "votes" for the game's production (i.e. multiple orders by one person only count as one "vote").

Preorders stop being taken on November 13th, and the game ships in mid-December if it's actually going to happen. Orders will be cancelled if there aren't enough to begin production.

Anyone who was wanting a physical copy of the game (like me), this seems like basically the best chance for it to happen, and there's really no loss for placing a preorder (assuming they REALLY don't charge until it ships; this is Rosenqueen after all!) Either they cancel your order and you never get charged, or you end up with your copy of the game.

Link: http://rosenqueen.com/product.php?productid=16301&cat=0&page=1

[quote name='postulio']ill do it if i know they dont charge right away. also id rather pick up in store than pay 5 shipping. will wait to see how many & where (as well as IF) it gets released or any other news.

mmm thinking.[/QUOTE]
It looks like they're only doing a limited run through their website, so picking it up at GS isn't an option.

[quote name='postulio']i just dont want to be charged right away.[/QUOTE]

if you'd read the thread they aren't charging right away anymore, or at least not on this

and this is the type of game that would never make it to GameStop it's too niche even for there, it wouldn't make financial sense for NISA to do anything more than a limited run on their webstore

[quote name='buckythekat']if you'd read the thread they aren't charging right away anymore, or at least not on this

and this is the type of game that would never make it to GameStop it's too niche even for there, it wouldn't make financial sense for NISA to do anything more than a limited run on their webstore[/QUOTE]

I did find a used copy of LOL, a DS game sold only through Agetec's online store, at a Gamestop once. Though, that wouldn't be something rare anymore considering that they foolishly overprinted it and recently sold out their remaining stock of the game to Wal-Mart, who has them in the bargain bin for $10. (I found mine before Agetec dumped their copies)

Yeah, Badman's different, though. It seems like they're only printing enough to meet demand, and on top of that, the kind people who shop Rosenqueen are probably going to be keeping their copies forever. It's going to be an instant collectible, so were any to ever show up anywhere else, it'd be ebay, not Gamestop. Can't say I've ever seen a used copy of an NIS game there, outside of a few copies of Disgaea before the reprint that gathered dust because they were $45 used. Well, come to think of it, I see a lot of Dragoneer's Aria (which is understandable) but that's about it.

If you pay with PayPal you do have to pay up front (probably self-explanatory, but worth a mention).

Also they didn't sell those Burger King-released XBox games at Gamestop originally either, but they turned up there pretty quick. Electroplankton (or whatever it was) for DS is another example which pops to mind, pretty sure GS sells that one used as well. Every game with a UPC on it ends up at Gamestop used eventually, but might as well buy it for $20 new now rather than wait for Gamestop to gouge you with a jacked-up used price.

Does anyone know if you can change the shipping address after the order is placed? I won't be living at the same address in December...

[quote name='lawl']Does anyone know if you can change the shipping address after the order is placed? I won't be living at the same address in December...[/QUOTE]

If you call them you should be able to do that. For what Rosenqueen lacks system wise they still have good customer service.

[quote name='fairtrade']If you pay with PayPal you do have to pay up front (probably self-explanatory, but worth a mention).

Also they didn't sell those Burger King-released XBox games at Gamestop originally either, but they turned up there pretty quick. Electroplankton (or whatever it was) for DS is another example which pops to mind, pretty sure GS sells that one used as well. Every game with a UPC on it ends up at Gamestop used eventually, but might as well buy it for $20 new now rather than wait for Gamestop to gouge you with a jacked-up used price.[/QUOTE]

The BK games had massive print runs, were promoted heavily, and were super cheap, and I've never seen Electroplankton at a GS. It's the holy grail of DS games. I'm not saying that a game can't appear in a Gamestop just because it wasn't originally available in a brick-and-mortar store. Badman is going to have a super-low print run and be snapped up by collectors, so just going by numbers the odds are low of it ever appearing anywhere used.

My order is in and I fully plan to be in on this in the event that it becomes impossible to get. I'd usually take this moment to take a dig at ebay gouging, but there may actually be legitimate supply and demand issues with this game eventually, so I don't want to have to pay five times the price.

[quote name='buckythekat']if you'd read the thread they aren't charging right away anymore, or at least not on this.[/QUOTE]
iirc. I got an email from them saying that they would no longer charge for Pre-orders.

Honestly this is a little to late for me to care. Seeing as there is already a sequel on the way that fixes some of the problems people had with this game. And I'm not just going to pre-order this so that maybe they put that one out at retail.

i takes a month to print these??? pre orders end NOV13 but they wont even attempt to ship out till DEC 18

if i knew i would have it by christmas yea i buy but with an 18th release datethe chances are slim

[quote name='slidecage']i takes a month to print these??? pre orders end NOV13 but they wont even attempt to ship out till DEC 18

if i knew i would have it by christmas yea i buy but with an 18th release datethe chances are slim[/QUOTE]

I can't understand why this would matter. The game has been out for months now on PSN. If you wanted it immediately, you could have just downloaded it.

[quote name='bojay1997']I can't understand why this would matter. The game has been out for months now on PSN. If you wanted it immediately, you could have just downloaded it.[/QUOTE]

to buy as an christmas gift cause i will NEVER support downloads at full price ... sadly after shipping it pushs to almost 25 bucks.. I would rather save my 25 and get a better newer game

[quote name='jgamezcua']in for 1 also, wish they'd do a UMD with Patapon 2 also...

Not a fan of digital distro either[/QUOTE]

...import it? I doubt it will ever get a US UMD release.

[quote name='fairtrade']Also they didn't sell those Burger King-released XBox games at Gamestop originally either, but they turned up there pretty quick. Electroplankton (or whatever it was) for DS is another example which pops to mind, pretty sure GS sells that one used as well. Every game with a UPC on it ends up at Gamestop used eventually, but might as well buy it for $20 new now rather than wait for Gamestop to gouge you with a jacked-up used price.[/QUOTE]

I got a copy of the Game & Watch Collection (Club Nintendo game) at GS for surprisingly only $13.

I put a pre-order in, as well. Though, I was hoping we'd get BOTH games on a single UMD at release of the sequel. Oh well.

[quote name='EarthBoundX5']I got a copy of the Game & Watch Collection (Club Nintendo game) at GS for surprisingly only $13.[/QUOTE]

Gee thanks for making me feel like a total dumbass for wasting my points on it lulz. :cry: Oh well at least my Mario hat is finally on the way. Look out laydeez. :cool:

Hm, finally got around to trying the demo, and this really seems like a game that should be download only, and under $10 for that matter (hell, I think $5 is more like it). Not really that great, and at only 40mb it almost seems like a waste of a UMD. So now I'm torn -- on the one hand, I do want to send the message to NIS that yes, I do still want my games on UMD, thank you very much, but . . . I'm just not sure I really want this game on UMD (or at all, for that matter) that badly. Does the game get any better than the demo, or is it pretty representative of what I'd be getting?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='J7.']That's pretty sad that they can't get even half the orders they need.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, based on the demo at least (and no one has responded to tell me that the full game is any different), it's not a very good game, and I know that I for one am not inclined to send them $20 just for the sake of sending it to them. I think they'd get a much better response if they did this with a better/more interesting title.

I enjoyed the demo and think it's a good game. The only problem I saw with it was the length as there aren't many levels. Given that it's not worth $20 to me, but I could see it being worth that to others.

Man I hope they do a super limited run for only those that ordered.
Sad.

I guess there's always the Euro version.

why pay 20 bucks for an old game if badman 2 comes out in so many months...

Why couldnt they just do a

Badman 1 and 2 on a single UMD

Are they even localizing Badman 2? Maybe I'm behind.
I know Japan has part 3 coming.

*stealth bump to get more orders in*

[quote name='dallow']Are they even localizing Badman 2? Maybe I'm behind.
I know Japan has part 3 coming.

*stealth bump to get more orders in*[/QUOTE]

Yep. They announced part 2 for PSN at a minimum, set for release in early 2010 in the US and Europe. I have mixed feelings about this UMD offer. I pre-ordered two copies, but I am having trouble with the fact that this is a tiny little game that is super nichey and not necessarily in a good way. I too would prefer a double pack, even if it means paying $30 for it on UMD.

[quote name='kuroi_kenshi']I hope this gets released on UMD. $20 for a game that may only get 1,000 copies printed? I figured collectors would have jumped all over this.[/QUOTE]

Part of the problem is that they didn't guarantee that it would be limited to 1,000 copies. They sort of made it clear on their forums and elsewhere that they were trying to get retailers to carry it as well and that they needed 1,000 preorders to go ahead, but that wasn't how many they would actually press.

[quote name='bojay1997']Part of the problem is that they didn't guarantee that it would be limited to 1,000 copies. They sort of made it clear on their forums and elsewhere that they were trying to get retailers to carry it as well and that they needed 1,000 preorders to go ahead, but that wasn't how many they would actually press.[/QUOTE]

That actually makes a great deal more sense. I imagine this will be a tough sell/small print run to retailers even with 1,000 preorders, though. Certainly not a collector piece anymore, but maybe one of those games down the line that everyone suddenly decides at once that they must have. I'd like it just because it looks fun and I don't buy digital items.

just got the latest newsletter

[quote name='NIS America']
Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! UMD Version News!!!​
Thank you very much for your participation and your support. Unfortunately, due to not meeting our demand of 1,000 units of Preorder, we will not be able to create the UMD version for ?Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!? What Did I Do to Deserve This??. We truly understand your disappointment in not having this item. In the future, we are considering to have the Badman 2 release on UMD. We truly would appreciate your patience and your understanding. Again, we truly apologize for the many inconveniences to all of our valuable fans. Thank you for your continuous support.[/quote]

Yup, this seems to be officially dead. What a shame, but at least we tried. Looks like they might put Badman 2 on UMD to begin with though, according to the newsletter, so at least there's that!

Remember people, you're SAVING money buying this as you're essentially getting the storage for free. Unless the PSN version is so small so as to make the storage cost minimal or infinitesimal UMD will ALWAYS be cheaper.

edit: Awww fuck.

[quote name='MasamuneNKX']Yup, this seems to be officially dead. What a shame, but at least we tried. Looks like they might put Badman 2 on UMD to begin with though, according to the newsletter, so at least there's that![/QUOTE]
these games are so small why not put both 1 and 2 on a single umd they would both fit

[quote name='slidecage']these games are so small why not put both 1 and 2 on a single umd they would both fit[/QUOTE]

The official reason from Nippon Ichi is licensing issues.

[quote name='Sarang01']Remember people, you're SAVING money buying this as you're essentially getting the storage for free. Unless the PSN version is so small so as to make the storage cost minimal or infinitesimal UMD will ALWAYS be cheaper.[/QUOTE]

It's all of 40mb. I think that probably qualifies as "infinitesimal" these days.

In general, I'm against "download-only" titles, and prefer things on permanent removable media. It's one of the big reasons that I really hate the PSP Go, and its signs for the direction the market is heading. But this one's pushing even my definition of what it's worth putting on media. That being said, sorry for those who wanted it but aren't going to get it.

Heads up for those on the preorder for this with RosenQueen. I received an email about 3 a.m. today from RosenQueen that I have been charged for this title. It is my understanding that the UMD publication of this title has been canceled. I have sent them an email regarding. Possibly it's back on? I am doubtful.

I imagine and hope this is an isolated situation. Thought I'd warn folks who also joined in on this preorder with RosenQueen to check their orders.

[quote name='Fallline']Heads up for those on the preorder for this with RosenQueen. I received an email about 3 a.m. today from RosenQueen that I have been charged for this title. It is my understanding that the UMD publication of this title has been canceled. I have sent them an email regarding. Possibly it's back on? I am doubtful.

I imagine and hope this is an isolated situation. Thought I'd warn folks who also joined in on this preorder with RosenQueen to check their orders.[/QUOTE]

When you click the link the OP gave the page you get, Unavailable product.

bread's done
Back