Balloon Fight - Wii U Virtual Console - 30 Cents

[quote name='sicsonic']The original Wii does not have Balloon Fight at 30 points. i checked. Either does the 3DS.

So since no one answered my question twice, I'm going to say Nintendo doesn't let you purchase games off the internet (ala Microsoft/360). I looked on their site but couldn't find anything.

Only way to get these is to have a WiiU, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

That's because of Nintendo's annoying policy of tying games to the console and not to an account.

[quote name='MiraiLink']The promotion for the 30 year anniversary[/QUOTE]

Which makes no sense to me. Basically this is how i see it:

Nintendo: "Oh, you've played Nintendo games for 30 years and bought and supported every system up until the WiiU, but haven't bought the WiiU yet? F*ck you."

What a great way to reward ALL of those that made your company still standing today.

Deal with it. It's a WiiU specific promotion that is tied to the 30 years anniversary. Maybe there'll be something for the 3DS, who knows. Look at it as similar to the Ambassador program on the 3DS, if you don't own one then you're out of luck.

You're sounding entitled.

[quote name='MiraiLink']

You're sounding entitled.[/QUOTE]

Well, lets see, over the 30 years I've bought an NES, SNES, Game Boy Color, N64, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, and a Nintendo 3DS. And most of these were before the days of CAG.

You're damn right I feel a little "entitled".

[quote name='MiraiLink']That's because of Nintendo's annoying policy of tying games to the console and not to an account.[/QUOTE]

You can do it on Club Nintendo... I'm sure it's possible to come up with some way to buy and pay for a code to redeem.

And I thought Nintendo had redeemable retail codes for downloadable games to purchase from game retailers, just like with Sony/PSN and Microsoft/XBLA?

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Guess it's time to buy these games for the twentieth time.[/QUOTE]

I would keep buying Super Metroid over and over, until the end of forever, if i had to in order to keep playing it. Best 2D game of all time. And my personal best(on my old SNES cart) was 100% in either 1:14 or 1:16. Don't remember exactly(haven't done it in eighteen years!), but i do remember my last save is at 1:05. Hammered out all the sequence breaks on my own, pre-GameFAQS(even pre internet, as far as my household was concerned). Even wrote myself a walkthrough, though at two pages long, it didn't make sense to anyone but me. (i used the phrase "bomb up" a whole lot)

[quote name='sicsonic']Well, lets see, over the 30 years I've bought an NES, SNES, Game Boy Color, N64, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii, and a Nintendo 3DS. And most of these were before the days of CAG.

You're damn right I feel a little "entitled".[/QUOTE]

You bought all those and never bought any of these games?
They've only been re-released for the past two decades. :lol:

[quote name='happydogs']I would keep buying Super Metroid over and over, until the end of forever, if i had to in order to keep playing it. Best 2D game of all time. And my personal best(on my old SNES cart) was 100% in either 1:14 or 1:16. Don't remember exactly(haven't done it in eighteen years!), but i do remember my last save is at 1:05. Hammered out all the sequence breaks on my own, pre-GameFAQS(even pre internet, as far as my household was concerned). Even wrote myself a walkthrough, though at two pages long, it didn't make sense to anyone but me. (i used the phrase "bomb up" a whole lot)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I love it too. But I remember it was a big deal when it finally came out on Wii.
I'd much rather have some actual new games.

Are these even updated? or just ROMs like they've been releasing since forever.

The question is if Nintendo will do this again or not? And whether or not future systems will allow you to transfer all VC games to future systems or not (Wii and Wii U). If not, then it becomes a serious problem for consumers. One that I don't think they'll want to bear.

This isn't an upgrade program. It's a sale, basically.

[quote name='slidecage']so only for the WII U or can you download it on the 3ds[/QUOTE]

I couldn't even find it on the 3ds' shop. I really wish they'd combine everything so we could buy things once and be able to play them on either system.

Kids it says right there in the headline "Wii U Virtual Console." Now go out and throw down $300.30 for a 30 year old game like I did

I'm extremely excited by this sale though reading these posts has me a bit worried that I'm just renting these games. However, I do believe the "trial" that everyone keeps mentioning is just that Nintendo is "trying out" the WiiU Virtual Console before it officially launches in April.

That being said, I'm not that interested in Balloon Fight but all the other titles in the lineup are definite buys, though I don't know if I ever played Yoshi for the NES. Here's hoping they roll out N64 games sooner rather than later and maybe, just maybe, eventually Gamecube games.

Also, as an update to the OP, the sale should be the first thing you see when you enter the eShop on the Wii-U. No searching required.

[quote name='sicsonic']Which makes no sense to me. Basically this is how i see it:

Nintendo: "Oh, you've played Nintendo games for 30 years and bought and supported every system up until the WiiU, but haven't bought the WiiU yet? F*ck you."

What a great way to reward ALL of those that made your company still standing today.[/QUOTE]
Oh , and how would you do it? Send people free shit by mail?:roll:

[quote name='metallicoholic']I'm extremely excited by this sale though reading these posts has me a bit worried that I'm just renting these games. However, I do believe the "trial" that everyone keeps mentioning is just that Nintendo is "trying out" the WiiU Virtual Console before it officially launches in April.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you nailed it on the head there when defining "trial"; although to everyone's credit the Nintendo Direct video made it very confusing so I could see how people got confused.
---

Anyways, I downloaded last night, and to confirm to others you can indeed pay just 32 cents (includes tax), no need to add extra funds. Personally, I think Balloon Fight is worth about...32 cents. I'm guessing I'll play it maybe one more time so I'd say I'll get my money's worth out of it.

I'm tempted to buy every game except Punch-Out, to send a message about which game I really wanted to see (the month we get Punch-Out, Japan gets Earthbound).

[quote name='Cheapskate']I'm tempted to buy every game except Punch-Out, to send a message about which game I really wanted to see (the month we get Punch-Out, Japan gets Earthbound).[/QUOTE]

Odds of Nintendo receiving that message . . .

I wish we got earthbound... I'm definitely in for all these games. Time to break out the Wii U I bought in november. Too bad I still need to upgrade the firmware.

At least Nintendo is trying here, and doing cool little sales and stuff. But IMO this is still pretty screwed up, ONE game for .30 for a whole MONTH? Should be a .30 game a week, or at the most every two weeks, lol. ONE a MONTH?

It's also screwed up that since they're "updating" all the VC games that you'll have to pay a "small fee" to repurchase them to play on Wii U's VC. They owe all Nintendo fans a big thanks for supporting VC to begin with because the prices have always been pretty outrageous and they had a terribly and unnecessarily long release schedule.

[quote name='mpaullin']It's worth noting that Nintendo will be offering a different $0.30 game every month through July.

• January: Balloon Fight
  • February: F-Zero
  • March: Punch-Out Featuring Mr. Dream
  • April: Kirby’s Adventure
  • May: Super Metroid
  • June: Yoshi
  • July: Donkey Kong
I'm ready![/QUOTE]

Damn. I already own all of these except the gimped version of Donkey Kong.

[quote name='rcerboss']Damn. I already own all of these except the gimped version of Donkey Kong.[/QUOTE]

But, buying these copies will net you the ability to launch them from within the WiiU menu, along with the additional benefits that provides (Miiverse support, configurable controls, etc.)

It would be silly to not buy them all, because as much as I will NEVER play Yoshi's Cookie, $.30 is a ridiculous price for classics, let alone, I don't even think Steam has had this good of a deal on any game! :O

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='theflicker']Odds of Nintendo receiving that message . . .[/QUOTE]

Iwata-san! We're 30 cents short this month! This demands your attention!

[quote name='MrBonk']Oh , and how would you do it? Send people free shit by mail?:roll:[/QUOTE]

I think anything short of a sicsonic (lifetime nintendo fan with a Sega username, really?) parade would not be enough.

The great thing here is if you already own VC games on the Wii you don't have to bay the extra 1.00-1.50 if you don't want to the games will still work just fine on the Wii U when playing in Wii mode. You are basically paying for an upgrade for off screen play, customizable controls, etc.

Heck half my VC games I don't even touch anymore. Only about 10-15 games i'd even want to upgrade. My one question though is for the 30 cent sale in June where it says Yoshi is it referring to Yoshi's Island? If so :D

[quote name='fhsfootball74']The great thing here is if you already own VC games on the Wii you don't have to bay the extra 1.00-1.50 if you don't want to the games will still work just fine on the Wii U when playing in Wii mode. You are basically paying for an upgrade for off screen play, customizable controls, etc.

Heck half my VC games I don't even touch anymore. Only about 10-15 games i'd even want to upgrade. My one question though is for the 30 cent sale in June where it says Yoshi is it referring to Yoshi's Island? If so :D[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi_(video_game)

[quote name='fhsfootball74']The great thing here is if you already own VC games on the Wii you don't have to bay the extra 1.00-1.50 if you don't want to the games will still work just fine on the Wii U when playing in Wii mode.[/QUOTE]
Refreshing to see somebody to gets what Nintendo is doing, instead of the usual, "WHAT?! HOW DARE THEY CHARGE US FOR ADDITIONAL FEATURES AND DEVELOPMENT TIME ON A GAME I'VE ALREADY PLAYED?!! YOU CAN PRY MY THIRTY CENTS FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS, NINTENDO!!! Now, where's that new $15 Call of Duty map pack, half of whose maps are remakes?"

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']Refreshing to see somebody to gets what Nintendo is doing, instead of the usual, "WHAT?! HOW DARE THEY CHARGE US FOR ADDITIONAL FEATURES AND DEVELOPMENT TIME ON A GAME I'VE ALREADY PLAYED?!! YOU CAN PRY MY THIRTY CENTS FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS, NINTENDO!!! Now, where's that new $15 Call of Duty map pack, half of whose maps are remakes?"[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I already have Super Metroid, but 30 cents beats the heck out of $1.50 to upgrade. That's an 80 percent discount!

[quote name='sicsonic']The original Wii does not have Balloon Fight at 30 points. i checked. Either does the 3DS.

So since no one answered my question twice, I'm going to say Nintendo doesn't let you purchase games off the internet (ala Microsoft/360). I looked on their site but couldn't find anything.

Only way to get these is to have a WiiU, plain and simple.[/QUOTE]

Why not just look it up in the first place? Why did someone have to answer you TWICE??

Super Metroid is the only Wii VC game that I bought that I'll realistically ever play again. I'm glad there's no reason for me to do a Wii transfer now and deal with that nonsense. I'll just buy it again for peanuts.

[quote name='Cheapskate']I'm tempted to buy every game except Punch-Out, to send a message about which game I really wanted to see (the month we get Punch-Out, Japan gets Earthbound).[/QUOTE]

Call me insane, but I'd feel awful for only paying 30 cents for Earthbound.

Balloon Fight is that price for 30 days? Interesting. I assumed it would only be good for the remainder of January and then FZero would start on Feb 1. I wonder if FZero will still start on Feb 1 so they can get the schedule sorted out? Kind of weird if we have to wait until the 22nd of every month to get the new deal...

If it is good 30 days, I might just get it. Nintendo direct has convinced me to get a WiiU, but I'm going to wait for Rayman to come out on Feb 26. I suppose I could get it 4 days early for $.30 balloon fight...

[quote name='kamiyan89']as i understand from the nintendo direct video, they are trials, once 30 days passes, and if i understood iwata, you have to purchase the game for ''regiuraa purice'' or discounted price if you had it before the trial, i might be mistaken as iwata's english pronuntiation is not that good and I'm not an english native speaker so is kinda difficult for me.

anyway I'm sure he addressed that point in the video if someone wants to be sure.[/QUOTE]

No. He said after thirty days the will return to regular price.
For not being a native speaker you sound like an insensitive dick.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I think anything short of a sicsonic (lifetime nintendo fan with a Sega username, really?) parade would not be enough.[/QUOTE]

Ny name is a reference to a Basketball team I watched for 25 years, not Sonic the Hedgehog. I was and always will be a Nintendo fan over Sega, though I loved the Genesis & Dreamcast.

[quote name='KrisMKX']Why not just look it up in the first place? Why did someone have to answer you TWICE??[/QUOTE]

I looked it up before i asked, and couldn't find anything, so I thought maybe I missed it so I asked. i kind of said that IN the post you quoted, so learn to read there buddy.

[quote name='MrBonk']Oh , and how would you do it? Send people free shit by mail?:roll:[/QUOTE]

Give them a reward like they give to Club Nintendo Gold/Platinum members? Is it that hard to think of something decent for people who bought their systems for 30 years?

Just because your parents buy you a WiiU doesn't mean you're the only that supports Nintendo.

[quote name='sicsonic']Ny name is a reference to a Basketball team I watched for 25 years, not Sonic the Hedgehog. I was and always will be a Nintendo fan over Sega, though I loved the Genesis & Dreamcast.[/QUOTE]

Have you done anything for less than 25 years?

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']Refreshing to see somebody to gets what Nintendo is doing, instead of the usual, "WHAT?! HOW DARE THEY CHARGE US FOR ADDITIONAL FEATURES AND DEVELOPMENT TIME ON A GAME I'VE ALREADY PLAYED?!! YOU CAN PRY MY THIRTY CENTS FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS, NINTENDO!!! Now, where's that new $15 Call of Duty map pack, half of whose maps are remakes?"[/QUOTE]

:lol:
I get what they're "trying to do."
Just funny they're charging .30 for games they gave away to early 3DS adopters.
Games which have no upgrades to them at all.

These "classics" have been rehashed since the days of the E-Reader.. that says a lot.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']Have you done anything for less than 25 years?[/QUOTE]

My city's NBA team (watched with Grandparents) and Nintendo (video games, played with parents) are the very few things that have been part of my life for my whole life.

[quote name='Smashbro29']I already own some of these games on Wii, if I go through all that transferring jazz I can get them for cheaper?[/QUOTE]

It costs $1 per NES and $1.50 per SNES to 'upgrade' your VC games from Wii to have the new WiiU features. You are better off to buy them on the WiiU for 30c, way cheaper.

[quote name='emwearz']It costs $1 per NES and $1.50 per SNES to 'upgrade' your VC games from Wii to have the new WiiU features. You are better off to buy them on the WiiU for 30c, way cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Right on man, I think I'll do just that.

Games with (normal prices):
January: Balloon Fight ($5)
February: F-Zero ($8)
March: Punch-Out Featuring Mr. Dream ($5)
April: Kirby’s Adventure ($5)
May: Super Metroid ($8)
June: Yoshi ($5)
July: Donkey Kong ($5)
=
WiiU $349.99 + $2.1 - $41 = $311.09
A WiiU price cut of $38.90

Just downloaded it, I was surprised to find I could play it on the Gamepad, from what I had read I was expecting to have to play it in the Wii channel, nope, Wii U icon and plays on the gamepad as well as having the new saving features, etc.

[quote name='J7.']Games with (normal prices):
=
A WiiU price cut of $38.90[/QUOTE]

Didn't think of it like that. I was already planning on buying them all anyway, but this makes me happy I made my decision.

I'd like to see them continue something similar to this after this has run its course. I don't expect them to be 30 cents, but a deal on some of the VC games would be sweet.

[quote name='J7.']Games with (normal prices):
=
A WiiU price cut of $38.90[/QUOTE]

How the hell did I miss that it was SUPER Metroid!? All I saw was Metroid earlier, I was going to buy it anyway but ... Super Metroid ... one of my biggest gaming regrets selling my original copy, well that and selling my original Panasonic 3do, FZ-1.

I still get a kick out of the normal pricing. I'd never buy any of those at those prices, well except maybe Super Metroid, just maybe.

[quote name='badramen']But, buying these copies will net you the ability to launch them from within the WiiU menu, along with the additional benefits that provides (Miiverse support, configurable controls, etc.)

It would be silly to not buy them all, because as much as I will NEVER play Yoshi's Cookie, $.30 is a ridiculous price for classics, let alone, I don't even think Steam has had this good of a deal on any game! :O[/QUOTE]
I can't believe a CAG is telling me I should rebuy a game I already own for any price, especially on a system I (supposedly) already have it on. Especially when these "upgrades" should have taken 1 man maybe half a day had Nintendo coded these games properly in the first place.

What are we coming to? If I want to blindly buy whatever Nintendo puts out, I'll go visit GoNintendo.

bread's done
Back