Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ArthurDayne']Would you mind posting the sources? I'm scouring for a few titles I missed out on for cheap or no worse than msrp, so I'd like to give them a browse.

As for yours, I haven't seen it at any places I frequent, sorry.[/QUOTE]

Well one you won't be able to order from unless you do it IN store unfortunately... and that is Animax on Summer Ave. in Memphis, TN.

The other sources i've had varying degrees of luck with is digitaldogpound.com, secondspin.com(which is something i see surprisingly few ppl mention), and animepavilion.com.

Thanks, a few potentials to try out. Is Anime Pavilion any good online? Seems like it hasn't been updated lately, and they have a warning about manga listed online being out of stock, so I worry about OOP DVD titles as well.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Thanks, a few potentials to try out. Is Anime Pavilion any good online? Seems like it hasn't been updated lately, and they have a warning about manga listed online being out of stock, so I worry about OOP DVD titles as well.[/QUOTE]
Hit or miss i've had many cancellations and just as many successes...tbh. After many emails the manager responded to me saying if its in stock it will ship if not it will be cancelled :( not exactly helpful but he did say they had stock of alot of titles from bandai still in the singles and a few box sets but he never said of what. Best bet would probably be to call.

Also I've got another local store called spin street its an affiliate of fye and typically carries the anime for my local fye at our mall. Which is another source you can try is fye.com alot of people tend to ignore this site also.

[quote name='greenwolfe7'] Which is another source you can try is fye.com alot of people tend to ignore this site also.[/QUOTE]

Because fye.com often uses MSRP prices on their stuff, even on their used products. And you don't get the same deals you would in store, like the 50% off box sets or the Buy-3-Get-1-Free-Used deal.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Hit or miss i've had many cancellations and just as many successes...tbh. After many emails the manager responded to me saying if its in stock it will ship if not it will be cancelled :( not exactly helpful but he did say they had stock of alot of titles from bandai still in the singles and a few box sets but he never said of what. Best bet would probably be to call.[/QUOTE]

Lol. I just tried an order. 3/4 cancelled, and he sent me a message saying I could have Bebop for $100. At least he was quick about it.

I managed to get Haruhi Season 1 for $22 used on Gohastings with the 40% off coupon. They had .Hack//SIGN complete for $60~ regular price (40ish with the coupon, which I believe is expired now). I almost got that but I couldn't pull the trigger, and I have no idea if it's still available.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Hit or miss i've had many cancellations and just as many successes...tbh. After many emails the manager responded to me saying if its in stock it will ship if not it will be cancelled :( not exactly helpful but he did say they had stock of alot of titles from bandai still in the singles and a few box sets but he never said of what. Best bet would probably be to call.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. I have been looking for a relatively cheap G-Gundam Set 2 and Wing Set 1 since November. I just went ahead and bought both of them on anime pavilion but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Yeah, I saw your post. I was just hoping you didn't order any Gundam. I also didn't put two and two together that if Bebop went up to $100, then Gundam would too.

Well my local anime shop animal came through owner placed a large order of Bandai titles before everything went oos they are selling stuff retail but today I scored eureka 7 both complete sets, big O 1 and 2, g gundam both sets, fantastic children, and ronin warriors complete! Out the door sub 200$ for all that. Oh yeah I went back for escaflowne also put me over 200$a but I got everything I wanted and now I don't have to deal with ebay.

I have been looking for a decent and cheap copy of Wing collection 1 since November. I finally find one for $40 on eBay that's like new. I buy it last night and then this afternoon get on Amazon to see 1 new copy being fulfilled by Amazon for $33. Sometimes I feel like someone is out to get me.

photoiiu.jpg

photo2ldv.jpg

photo3qz.jpg

^_^

[quote name='zeke222']Got code geass season 1 and 2 for $80. And picked up gurren lagann from rightstuf[/QUOTE]

What? Where did you get Code Geass from?

code geass r2 part 2-4 from amazon and part 1 from ebay for 20.
Got season 1 from gohastings.
Also got sola complete collection from gohastings for 14.

[quote name='zeke222']code geass r2 part 2-4 from amazon and part 1 from ebay for 20.
Got season 1 from gohastings.
Also got sola complete collection from gohastings for 14.[/QUOTE]

I've been checking eBay for the last week and didn't see any Part 1 that cheap.

was about three weeks ago for r2 part 1.
Also some of the f.y.e that just sell dvds have a couple copies of season 1 and 2 too so check them.

Managed to get igpx vol. 6 on ebay 10$ so I have all 7 volumes now for about 25$ total not too bad. Vol. 6 is hard to come by if anyone is looking or has started looking.... :/ Im still searching for gundam wing for a decent price. I have all of 0079,0083(stardust memory), 00, G Gundam, and Zeta Gundam. Want the rest but I didn't really care for Seed all that much idk why. And does anybody know anything about Gundam AGE? Is it worth picking up?

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Want the rest but I didn't really care for Seed all that much idk why. And does anybody know anything about Gundam AGE? Is it worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

If you ever decide to grab any of the Seed discs, know that that & Seed Destiny are the ones that have the most problems with bad discs from Bandai. It usually is a problem with the last episode freezing up too.

As for Gundam AGE, that's the newest Gundam show. But it never got a physical release here. So if you're grabbing the BRs, they're imports(& probably w/o english subs). As for the show, it's kinda average for a Gundam show that spans two generations of characters. Although a lot of people hated it because it's considered the "kid-friendly" version of Gundam.

Gundam AGE went 3 generations. The story ends with Flit's grandkid.

The show itself has slightly kiddy designs (specifically during the First Generation) but story-wise is one of the darker and bloodier entries yet. It isn't perfect by a long shot, but AGE is still pretty good.

[quote name='Kaiser499']I've been checking eBay for the last week and didn't see any Part 1 that cheap.[/QUOTE]

I paid 18 for a used copy shipped on Jan 1. Keep checking. I think this one is just more rare than valuable.

[quote name='AgentSquishy']I have been looking for a decent and cheap copy of Wing collection 1 since November. I finally find one for $40 on eBay that's like new. I buy it last night and then this afternoon get on Amazon to see 1 new copy being fulfilled by Amazon for $33. Sometimes I feel like someone is out to get me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the prices for Wing have been coming down over the past couple of weeks. I wish this was true of G-Gundam. Well, it is true, and none of them are selling, but they are still absurdly priced. Seriously, if anybody can hook me up with a reasonably priced G-Gundam let me know, I've been looking for about a month. I could have gotten them for an okay price on eBay, but I had already placed an order that fell through after somebody else bought them.

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Managed to get igpx vol. 6 on ebay 10$ so I have all 7 volumes now for about 25$ total not too bad. Vol. 6 is hard to come by if anyone is looking or has started looking.... :/ Im still searching for gundam wing for a decent price. I have all of 0079,0083(stardust memory), 00, G Gundam, and Zeta Gundam. Want the rest but I didn't really care for Seed all that much idk why. And does anybody know anything about Gundam AGE? Is it worth picking up?[/QUOTE]

I have hear almost unanimously bad things about AGE. I think it is best to make up your own mind, unless it will cost you a fortune to do so.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']I paid 18 for a used copy shipped on Jan 1. Keep checking. I think this one is just more rare than valuable.

Yeah, the prices for Wing have been coming down over the past couple of weeks. I wish this was true of G-Gundam. Well, it is true, and none of them are selling, but they are still absurdly priced. Seriously, if anybody can hook me up with a reasonably priced G-Gundam let me know, I've been looking for about a month. I could have gotten them for an okay price on eBay, but I had already placed an order that fell through after somebody else bought them.

I have hear almost unanimously bad things about AGE. I think it is best to make up your own mind, unless it will cost you a fortune to do so.[/QUOTE]

Depending on what is in my local shops last shipment I may or may not be able to get you G-Gundam it'll be 60$ total for both boxes(30$ a piece) if he gets them. I say if cause I know he is getting a large shipment of Bandai titles but as to what titles they are idk. All I know is he is getting Ronin Warriors complete sets cause thats specifically what I asked about. I went ahead and placed an order for 3 he is getting lol. Also gave him a list of stuff I wanted and he said he would hold for me. I just told him to call me when the shipment came and ill be there before he unboxes anyway. So ill probably be posting a list on here incase anybody wants anything ill also post the number also as I believe he does ship via phone order. So if its anything decent or a good stock amount ill let everyone know.

Barnes and Noble has Zeta Gundam Collection 1 for 45. Free shipping, and with tax you are basically paying MSRP. Not super cheap, but Part II isn't super expensive yet, still has a small stock at RightStuf, and you aren't likely to find a new one cheaper very often. If stock lasts until the next 10% or so off not a bad deal.

Diligence pays off again been watching hastings,fye,amazon,barnes n noble, halfpricebooks, secondspin, and ebay like a hawk just got gundam wing complete collection 1 off hastings 30$ shipped w\Muffinstump coupon code.

Went ahead and ordered from the best buy link I posted. If it doesn't come in 3 weeks ill start searching again(or if I get a cancellation prior to that) but for now all I have left that I want(if this comes through) personally is eureka seven complete collection vol. 2 and Turn A gundam... I may eventually get all the rest of the series if I can get decent prices but idk I need to start watching everything I picked up but im between work and class 8am-11pm monday-friday this semester. :(

I don't think turn a gundam exists in english in anything other than bootleg format at the moment. Hard to pay much for them, especially considering subs are usually supposed to be terrible.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']I don't think turn a gundam exists in english in anything other than bootleg format at the moment. Hard to pay much for them, especially considering subs are usually supposed to be terrible.[/QUOTE]

No, it's not in english unless it's some fansub.

Bandai was going to release it here, but they shut down before it's release.

[quote name='tangytangerine']No, it's not in english unless it's some fansub.

Bandai was going to release it here, but they shut down before it's release.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know that. I still want a sub though. I do remember seeing the series subbed at a friends house. I don't believe there is a fansub in english done anywhere though... now my curiosity is peaked will do a search... :/.

A bootleg just sold on eBay for 23 shipped the other day. I thought about it, but google-fu told me the subs were probably poor. But if there is no fan sub, probably wasn't a terrible option.

edit: Or 31, unless that is a different listing. It has a $20 buy it now, but I guess people can be dumb on eBay, especially after the first bidder takes down the buy it now option.

http://www.animeharu.com/shop/dvds/...dvd-complete-collection-2---anime-legends.asp

Anybody ever tried using this site? 0.0 I'm sensing a bootleg but idk.

P.S. my local anime shop will get his last bandai shipment on the 31st supposedly. I'll take a pics and post titles as I have availability and if he feels like shipping ill post his number for you guys. He's usually pretty good about that but its a 1 owner 1 runner shop so don't expect it incredibly quick but well... lol this is his motto :) http://www.animaxstore.com/contactus.php

[quote name='greenwolfe7']http://www.animeharu.com/shop/dvds/...dvd-complete-collection-2---anime-legends.asp

Anybody ever tried using this site? 0.0 I'm sensing a bootleg but idk.[/QUOTE]

Either that or no one has discovered the site.

Just looking at their inventory shows some of the hard to find Gundam sets(G Gundam, Gundam 00 2nd season) for 1/3 of what they're selling for right now. I'd say it's suspicious just by their inventory & prices alone, but why not take the chance & see if you can get a real set.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Either that or no one has discovered the site.

Just looking at their inventory shows some of the hard to find Gundam sets(G Gundam, Gundam 00 2nd season) for 1/3 of what they're selling for right now. I'd say it's suspicious just by their inventory & prices alone, but why not take the chance & see if you can get a real set.[/QUOTE]

Already have tried it placed an order a week ago my order status changed from processing payment to shipment processing says status will update again in 2-3 days... we will see I suppose. If it comes im placing an order for other stuff but in small quantities for fear of bait and switch where a company sends me a legit title then sends a bootleg I see a mix of both on the site so idk.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Either that or no one has discovered the site.

Just looking at their inventory shows some of the hard to find Gundam sets(G Gundam, Gundam 00 2nd season) for 1/3 of what they're selling for right now. I'd say it's suspicious just by their inventory & prices alone, but why not take the chance & see if you can get a real set.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah after a searching a bit yesterday it turns out #anime-gundam did a fan sub for Turn A gundam thats pretty good it used the jp dvd as source vid.

Wow, web reviews are not kind to anime Haru, but they have almost everything Gundam related I need, so it is pretty tempting to give it a shot. Worst I can cancel payment through my credit card. Well, worst is I guess they send me bootlegs and I have to send them back.

Edit: Eh, I placed an order. Still interested to see what your shop might get in greenwolfe, so let us know, because I am skeptical of receiving anything. His site is pretty awesome, so I hope for good things! But if animeharu works out it is pretty great to get new items at reasonable prices. If it fails, see above. They seem to have bootlegs listed under "import" versus "domestic" for R1 stuff. For example, it looks like you can buy a humongous pack of every Gundam ever for 300 bucks that are all R0 bootlegs, but other stuff is listed at US MSRP with US covers.

Can't be any worse than Anime Pavilion offering to "let me" buy Bebop for $100 after I placed an order for stuff on their site.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Wow, web reviews are not kind to anime Haru, but they have almost everything Gundam related I need, so it is pretty tempting to give it a shot. Worst I can cancel payment through my credit card. Well, worst is I guess they send me bootlegs and I have to send them back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you have to remember most people write reviews only because they are PO'd. I have seen a few good reviews though so I really don't know I'll update (if) I get my eureka seven collection and let people know... im expecting a bootleg or uk beez release.

Yeah, let us know.

I just realized that the Gundam Wing Complete Operations lists number of discs at 6 rather than 10, which is a bad sign. Most of them don't even list discs. And for things like G-Gundam, the bootlegs seem to all have the whole show in one box on six or so discs, so two separate items is a good sign.

edit: And I see it was actually listed under imports. Well, I guess I know I'm getting that one as a bootleg now. Must have accidentally switched back, or forgot to switch after doing a search.

Being someone who has been hunting down Gundam titles for years (and own all but G Gundam, 00 season 2 part 4 and Unicorn), I did a quick Gundam search at Anime Haru and it seems that they sell (what look like) both legit and bootleg copies. The common theme that the bootlegs have is the "English Dub / sub" description on the name followed by the smaller amount of discs for each series. Another easy tell sign is that on the description the bootlegs have "Region free / all players" prior to the actual region description.

Examples:
This should be legit (provided they didn't just take a stock pic)
http://www.animeharu.com/shop/dvds/...g-gundam-dvd-collection-1--anime-legends-.asp

This is the bootleg:
http://www.animeharu.com/shop/dvds/...vd---tv-series-complete-box-set--eng-dub-.asp

Edit:

For Arthur, if this is the Wing series you got, it's an "import" aka, bootleg:
http://www.animeharu.com/shop/dvds/...vd---tv-series-complete-box-set--eng-dub-.asp

You might want to cancel it and get these instead:
http://www.animeharu.com/shop/dvds/...dam-wing-dvd-collection-1--anime-legends-.asp
http://www.animeharu.com/shop/dvds/...dam-wing-dvd-collection-2--anime-legends-.asp

Yeah, I came to the same conclusions. Before I ordered, actually. I must have accidentally gotten out of the domestic section into imports when I saw the Wing box set, though. I thought it was the release with the individual operations just packed into a cardboard outer box.

I sent a request that they cancel just that item. We'll see what happens. I don't have a ton of faith, but I'll ship it back and be happy to pay return shipping if they actually have stock on the rest of the stuff I ordered.

Hey guys it seems like people are interested in Gundam Wing. Well I'm selling my two part collection of Gundam Wing (Anime Legends one) on my lowball, either this one or the next. Last time I checked it was complete and in great condition. I know this isn't the forum to advertise but hey if you guys are interested, you probably get it for a low price.

Not sure what is going on with AnimeHaru. Order went into "processing" last night, and today they removed Gundam Wing from my order, which I had requested about 10 minutes after I placed the order and realized my mistake. However the purchase price shown is still the old one in order history, and now I have a pending charge AND a pending refund for the full amount on my card. Maybe they are just doing it wrong and will recharge the pending amount at the new level, rather than keep the pending and only charge the new amount.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Not sure what is going on with AnimeHaru. Order went into "processing" last night, and today they removed Gundam Wing from my order, which I had requested about 10 minutes after I placed the order and realized my mistake. However the purchase price shown is still the old one in order history, and now I have a pending charge AND a pending refund for the full amount on my card. Maybe they are just doing it wrong and will recharge the pending amount at the new level, rather than keep the pending and only charge the new amount.[/QUOTE]

Im giving it 10 full business days before I do anything about my order my status still says processing by shipping team... im betting they don't have it but it said wait ten days so I am. I placed my order on the 17th. So Thursday will be 10 days.

What is your payment status? I have now been charged for the corrected amount, after deleting the item. No shipment notice or status change on the website, though.

[quote name='ArthurDayne']What is your payment status? I have now been charged for the corrected amount, after deleting the item. No shipment notice or status change on the website, though.[/QUOTE]

Don't have a clue my payment was pending now I don't even see it on my bank statement... no word from Haru... :/... expecting yet another cancellation :(... im tired of late cancels be a COMPANY and TELL ME you don't have stock!

bread's done
Back