Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kayne2000']i though funi had bought bandai titles before at least i assumed so as i know theyve bought geneon titles.[/QUOTE]

The only one I know that they acquired that was originally released by Bandai was Love Hina. Besides that, they don't have the licenses to any of the stuff Bandai has released.

[quote name='tangytangerine']The only one I know that they acquired that was originally released by Bandai was Love Hina. Besides that, they don't have the licenses to any of the stuff Bandai has released.[/QUOTE]

hmm odd then well im sure funi is probably looking into the idea now i'd imagine

[quote name='DNukem170']Both Manga and Bandai hold licensing rights. Manga has the movies wholesale, but the TV series (and Solid State Society) are co-licensed by Bandai and Manga, which will make things tricky when FUNi tries to pick up the license. This is also why a Platinum version of D&R and End of Eva were never released.[/QUOTE]

ah i see

[quote name='doctordoom']In a recent ANNcast podcast a few people from Production IG (while plugging the "Kick Heart" Kickstarter) hinted pretty heavily at new GitS animated material toward the end of the episode. Take that for what you will about re-releases.[/QUOTE]

i would kill a few kittens for a new season of GITS that starts where solid state society left off. i dont meant continue that story arc but rather the character development up to that point especially the tachikomas

[quote name='DNukem170']The OG 08th MS Team Anime Classics box set (which is much thicker but still had the same discs) is only $27 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Just checked. Both the newer and the original are out of stock and being sold from third party sellers for higher than that price.

[quote name='Tsukento']Just checked. Both the newer and the original are out of stock and being sold from third party sellers for higher than that price.[/QUOTE]

Somebody probably snapped it up.

For those that are wondering, I posted here a few weeks ago since two of my discs from a new copy of Eureka Seven Complete Collection II were scratched up. Someone from Bandai e-mailed me yesterday for my address. I replied and he e-mailed me an hour later saying my replacement DVDs have been shipped. =D

And now I can put this Bandai thing to rest. In the end I own: Eureka Seven Complete Collection I & II, Cowboy Bebop Remix (AL), Outlaw Star (AL), K-ON! Vol 1-4 Blu (Complete), Haruhi S1 (Box set, with indivdual DVD cases, complete) & S2 (AL) and Gurren Lagann (AL).

The only thing I sort of want at this point is the Haruhi movie on blu since I heard it was good. It jumped up by $10 on Amazon which made wish I grabbed it at $25 (Right Stuf currently has it for $30).

Oh and for the guy that asked about Haruhi S2, I forced myself to watch endless eight. By like the fifth episode I was already losing it and thinking to myself something different might happen and it never did. It's just the exact same scenes sometimes switched around and everyone has different outfits on and sightly different lines in every episode. Just watch the 1st episode and the last one and you will save yourself a few hours. Don't be a moron like me. xD

Thanks SanjiX, after your 1st post I contacted Bandai support over a couple anime legends cases being all banged up and broken. I did this LOOOOONG ago with no response..come to find out my old ticket number was on file and I received a response today telling them to give address...

On another note, was going to purchase Haruhi season 2 but at those prices with those waste of episodes...not gonna happen. I did jump on the blu/dvd movie combo when Bandai announces this and got it for around 20 bucks.

Got some more volumes of Wing, G, 08th MS Team, 0083 and 2 of the Zeta Movies as well as s-CRY-ed, Lucky Star, and Jubei-chan. While not as good as J2 (which is freaking amazing) the first season is still good. Also picked up the CPM Slayers releases, Getter Robo Armageddon, and Ghost Stories in the non-Bandai front.

If anyone is interested in:
Argentosoma - Complete Collection
Galaxy Angel AA: Anime Legends Complete Collection
Galaxy Angel X: Complete Collection
Wolf's Rain: Anime Legends Complete Collection Vol. 1
Wolf's Rain: Complete Collection II

Shoot me a PM.

Best Buy had some Bandai stuff today. If Only I had Gundam 00 Season 1 I would have picked up 1 of the three Gundam 00 Season 2 they had.

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Best Buy had some Bandai stuff today. If Only I had Gundam 00 Season 1 I would have picked up 1 of the three Gundam 00 Season 2 they had.[/QUOTE]
You know, you can get the 3 Season 1 singles combined for cheaper than the Season 1 set.

Anybody looking for scrapped princess. FYE, wherehouse or suncoast has some volumes for $1.88 and some older Bandai DVD's for the same price. I got all 4 volumes of Arjuna for 6 bucks With my discount. Suncoast has all Funamation Save collections 4 half off. If anybody's interested in it. I found the girl who leapt through time on blu-ray for 20 used. Did that Blu-ray come with a slipcover?

Wow, so they clearenced them even further? I started a thread a few weeks ago where they were $3.88. Unfortunately, I have already purchased most of the S.A.V.E. sets that I am interested in.

[quote name='gundamb0i']Anybody looking for scrapped princess. FYE, wherehouse or suncoast has some volumes for $1.88 and some older Bandai DVD's for the same price. I got all 4 volumes of Arjuna for 6 bucks With my discount. Suncoast has all Funamation Save collections 4 half off. If anybody's interested in it. I found the girl who leapt through time on blu-ray for 20 used. Did that Blu-ray come with a slipcover?[/QUOTE]

:bomb: I am Jealous, I shelled out 70ish buck on ebay for GWLTT and there is no FYE or Suncoast with a reasonable distance from where I live

If anybody wants Gundam Wing, G Gundam, or Cowboy Bebop, there are complete sets of each at a reasonable price right now on eBay. All are the OG releases, not the Anime Legends or Remix editions.

Wing
G Gundam
Bebop

[quote name='DNukem170']If anybody wants Gundam Wing, G Gundam, or Cowboy Bebop, there are complete sets of each at a reasonable price right now on eBay. All are the OG releases, not the Anime Legends or Remix editions.

Wing
G Gundam
Bebop[/QUOTE]

Technically Those are nearly the exact same things the Box Sets are. Dont know about Bebop if it had a non Remix release but The boxsets are just a new box with those discs in them.

Well, the AL releases take up less space, (unless you stuff them into 6-disc cases like I do) which is one reason why all the AL releases are uber expensive while the singles are only a few bucks.

Also, the OG Bebop releases have no 5.1 Surround Sound and I believe minimal extras.

Got my replacement discs today, to whoever is buying Eureka Seven individually, I have Disc 8 (or Volume 8, whatever) and Disc 10 available. Disc 8 plays fine but has a circular scratch on it (likely from when it was burned/pressed), and Disc 10 has a deep scratch which makes it skip a few minutes on one of the episodes .

To whoever wants them, I'll sell Disc 8 for $1 + Shipping and Disc 10 all you need to do is pay shipping.

Heck yeah, just received my Big O complete collection from Goodwill Books today...was really scared...got it for 18 dollars shipped from amazon and yeah, its the original, case intact and everything! Very amazing and so worth the cheap.

Managed to grab the final disc I needed for Season 1 of Haruhi Suzumiya(Vol. 4). I was thinking of grabbing season 2, but the high price now isn't worth it when half of the episodes are the same thing.

Been trying to get Saber Marionette J to X so that I can finish the series. But I can't find all 6 discs for a reasonable price. Prices for the individual discs seems to be all over the place and the cheapest ones I can find are in questionable condition(I'd like to at least have the case with it).

Was considering getting rid of some of various Gundam discs I have to clear some space. But after seeing the prices jump in the last few weeks, I think I'll hold onto them for now. The only ones that seem to still be in a reasonable price range now is Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny. But I think that's due to the fact that it's the one they printed the most discs for(it was during anime boom in the mid-2000's).

During this whole thing, the only item I bought from Bandai recently was The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on DVD; could've bought in on blu-ray, but I'm not a huge fan of blu-ray+dvd combos.

I'm not sure what else I can get for myself. For the large part, I can just rent a good selection of the Bandai library at my local rental shops and, well, my library. Not sure if I want to sink my wallet into Haruhi-chan; I liked the series on youtube, but I wonder if it's just a luxury made to be seen only once. Do I bother with the Zeta gundam movies if I never watched the original Zeta Gundam TV series?

No, the movies are a poor substitute for the series. A big and important subplot (one that gets reused in almost every other Gundam series) gets almost fully excised and the ending is completely changed to render ZZ and Char's Counterattack null and void.

Not saying the movies are bad, but they don't replace the series as well as the OGovies.

Picked up Gundam 08th MS Team Volume 2, Gundam Wing Volume 4, and Jubei-chan Volume 1 today. Also picked up future eBay sales SEED Destiny Final Plus and Gundam 00 Season 2.

Got Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Sword of the Stranger, and Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Good shit. Thanks for the heads up.

[Via WTK] Now have counters @ TRSI...

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny the TV Movie IV: The Prices of Freedom that isn't 80-100 dollars?

Now I also have to think if I want to get E7 Both Collections now or wait for Funimation to release it if they decide to license it.

Those prices are making me sad. I paid half or less than half for some of those (not recently, years ago), and kicking myself for the ones I don't have yet. :(

Its kind of funny looking at my Gundam collection at Amazon and seeing how its all just about worth twice as much now.

Final Rightstuf restock Via WTK:

...I just bought GL for $45 at Amazon. Granted, I was just going to flip it on eBay, but still.

And full price on Bebop? Best Buy still has it for $30!

I was going to buy Gurren Lagann to get free shipping with GaoGaiGar, but then I went on Amazon to see how much it was there and found nothing but reviews saying that collection skips and is really bad.

Is it even worth getting?

[quote name='Crazydom']I was going to buy Gurren Lagann to get free shipping with GaoGaiGar, but then I went on Amazon to see how much it was there and found nothing but reviews saying that collection skips and is really bad.

Is it even worth getting?[/QUOTE]

I saw those too but I ordered it anyway, a few months ago mind you, and I had absolutely no problems with any of the discs.

[quote name='Crazydom']I was going to buy Gurren Lagann to get free shipping with GaoGaiGar, but then I went on Amazon to see how much it was there and found nothing but reviews saying that collection skips and is really bad.

Is it even worth getting?[/QUOTE]

Some of the discs unfortunately from the earlier releases have had issues with skipping, and some of the earlier anime legends will contain the older faulty discs. But as whipple has mentioned, for the most part the newer released ones should be okay as the one I ordered last month has none of those issues either.

[quote name='Squarehard']Some of the discs unfortunately from the earlier releases have had issues with skipping, and some of the earlier anime legends will contain the older faulty discs. But as whipple has mentioned, for the most part the newer released ones should be okay as the one I ordered last month has none of those issues either.[/QUOTE]

Where did you order from? Amazon or TRSI?

[quote name='Squarehard']I got mine from Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Okay sweet I was just wanting to make sure that someone got it recently from Amazon, didnt run into problems. I may get it on Amazon then.

I'm still bitter that this totally ruined what I had saved up for Black Friday & Christmas. And I'm still missing out on a lot, like Wolf's Rain, Galaxy Angel, .hack//Roots, everything Haruhi, etc.

On the other side of the coin, I got Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions LE & Outlaw Star Perfect Collection for $20 each, years ago. I like to build my collection slowly & cheaply normally :oops:

[quote name='Vash1306']Final Rightstuf restock Via WTK:
[/QUOTE]

*Cries* i has no moar moneyz!!!

on the bright side i bought kurokami already lol

bread's done
Back