Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I checked Amazon for Hayate the Combat Butler Volume 8. This is what I got.

3 new from $500.00 1 used from $999.99

Good thing my local anime store has it for $40.

I'll probably regret doing so, but I picked up The Girl Who Leapt Through . . . Space :))). They averaged out to $15 apiece through Amazon secondary sellers and TRSI. The concept sounded like it might be amusing, and although it seems like a show that would be right in Funimation's wheelhouse, I can't imagine it selling well enough for them to actually pick up the license.

I didn't realize how much of my collection was from Bandai until I started looking at the list of titles and went, "Got it. Got it. Got it. Got it . . . ."

I guess when you buy three amine series from Amazon, they put a number of them in your Gold Box.

Ones sitting in there for the moment are:
Elfen Lied Complete Collection - $20.83
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 - $28.49
Cowboy Bepop Remix (already have this one)
Trigun: Badlands Rumble - $20.61 (DVD)
Blue Submarine #6 Complete Collection - $17.08
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Complete 1st Season - $46.53

Any worth biting on?

[quote name='shrike4242']I guess when you buy three amine series from Amazon, they put a number of them in your Gold Box.[/QUOTE]

Elfen Lied is not a bad series, but it is SUPER dark. I'm not exaggerating, the subject matter and material in that series is extremely dark and disturbing. Tread lightly.

Code Geass is a great series. While the Amazon price for the second season is good, their price for the first season is probably too high. Pick it up at Right Stuf instead, its currently on their weekly specials and is going for $29.99 for each season set.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble is for existing fans of the series. It is a side-story movie, and in that respect is quite good. But it doesn't even bother introducing the characters or setting. If you are not already familiar with Trigun, you will probably be somewhat lost. If you are already a Trigun fan though, it is a great little romp.

Blue Submarine #6 is weird. It's just plain weird. There are only four episodes in the series, so character development is a bit shallow. The setting is one of the more appealing aspects of this brief series. It's really a toss-up on whether or not you will like it.

But Elfen Lied is a good one if you like to question humanity and their morals. xD Like what Richard Kain said, it is very dark and gruesome but I think that was one of the reason why it became so popular. And if you want more, you can always read the Manga.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Elfen Lied is not a bad series, but it is SUPER dark. I'm not exaggerating, the subject matter and material in that series is extremely dark and disturbing. Tread lightly. [/QUOTE]

You think Elfen Lied is "SUPER dark"? Try watching "Higurashi: When They Cry" and let me know what you think.

[quote name='shrike4242']I guess when you buy three amine series from Amazon, they put a number of them in your Gold Box.

Any worth biting on?[/QUOTE]

$20 for Elfen Lied is a decent price, if you're into gory, psychological shows. $46 for Code Geass, Season 1 is a bit steep---you can get it for $30 on RightStuf.com

[quote name='Richard Kain']Elfen Lied is not a bad series, but it is SUPER dark. I'm not exaggerating, the subject matter and material in that series is extremely dark and disturbing. Tread lightly. [/QUOTE]

You think Elfen Lied is "SUPER dark"? Try watching "Higurashi: When They Cry" and let me know what you think.

[quote name='shrike4242']I guess when you buy three amine series from Amazon, they put a number of them in your Gold Box.

Any worth biting on?[/QUOTE]

Code Geass is a superior anime, but that's too high a price. Look for $20-25 on season 1/2. Elfen Lied is blood and tits to the extreme. If that's not for you, skip it. If it is, I think you can find a slightly cheaper version (even though it's worth the asking price). We're talking one-two dollars cheaper, that is.

Blue Sub isn't worth getting. Trigun is worth it sub-$15 if you loved the original series. Otherwise, skip it.

Edit: We playing "darkest anime"?

Dblack.png

jk

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Code Geass is a superior anime, but that's too high a price. Look for $20-25 on season 1/2. Elfen Lied is blood and tits to the extreme. If that's not for you, skip it. If it is, I think you can find a slightly cheaper version (even though it's worth the asking price). We're talking one-two dollars cheaper, that is.

Blue Sub isn't worth getting. Trigun is worth it sub-$15 if you loved the original series. Otherwise, skip it.

Edit: We playing "darkest anime"?

[/QUOTE]

i beleive evangelion wins darkest anime award....also its my favorite anime and the best anime IMO

[quote name='kayne2000']i beleive evangelion wins darkest anime award....[/QUOTE]

Compared to Narutaru? Not really. The whole point of Narutaru is that it's completely fucked-up. It hits a little deeper than teenage depression.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']Really want G Gundam, too expensive though.[/QUOTE]

Now that anime collectors are scrambling for Bandai releases, I doubt you'll find G-Gundam Complete Collection I & II cheaper than $30 each.

[quote name='Olengie']Really? You got me pretty curious about it. I might have to look into it later.[/QUOTE]

Go with the manga. I prefer to watch anime, but the manga's the way to go with Narutaru.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Go with the manga. I prefer to watch anime, but the manga's the way to go with Narutaru.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably do the double route. I did that with Elfen Lied. And usually do that to my favorite series.

[quote name='Olengie']I'll probably do the double route. I did that with Elfen Lied. And usually do that to my favorite series.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, but the quality disparity is noticeable, so go with the manga first.

[quote name='JoePianist']Now that anime collectors are scrambling for Bandai releases, I doubt you'll find G-Gundam Complete Collection I & II cheaper than $30 each.[/QUOTE]

It was rare for me to ever find any 26 episode series for less than $30. This was especially true if I was looking for new copies. And most of the Gundam box sets are around 26 episodes each. (except for the OVAs, which are usually around 13)

If anyone is desperate, Right Stuf has a back-to-school coupon that is valid for all in-stock items. And most of their Gundam box sets qualify for it. Using that coupon you can get just about any Gundam box set for $33 each. It's not super cheap, but its consistent and they seem to have the stock.

You'll be extremely lucky to find it cheap at a Pawn Shop, Ebay, or Craigslist.

Other than that, good luck to everyone for finding some great deals.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Compared to Narutaru? Not really. The whole point of Narutaru is that it's completely fucked-up. It hits a little deeper than teenage depression.[/QUOTE]

never heard of that show ill have to look it up.

evangelion also goes far deeper than teenage depression. evangelion takes a trip into the dark depraved parts of the brain it just uses teenagers to get there cause its anime and anime is not anime without high school kids

thanks well in for one amazon has a like new used warehouse deal.

time to rot my brain some more with some other unholy show lol

while something can be more depraved than evangelion i guess let me clarify as i skimmed over an amazon review(i didnt read too much of it just got a slight glance)....evangelion is depraved and well told which sets it apart for me. its also a great insight into the human brain.

so im not going for such depravity for the sake of it. im hoping for a well told story in the process. so we shall see. though it sounds dissappointing that the anime isnt going to cover the whole manga.

Elfen Lied is pretty overrated anime.I thought it tryed way to hard to jerk emotions out of the audience,especially with the whole [ spoiler ] puppy killing scene[/spoiler]

The manga did a much job,since the characters actually had development to them.

Elfen Lied is a pretty overrated anime.I thought the show tryed way too hard to jerk emotions out of the audience,especially with the whole puppy scene.

The manga was much better though,since the characters had development,but it still had some characters that really had no purpose at all to the plot.Worth the read though.

[quote name='Olengie']I'll probably do the double route. I did that with Elfen Lied. And usually do that to my favorite series.[/QUOTE]Just so you know, the manga for Narutaru was put on indefinite hiatus (or more like got canceled) in English about half way through, so you'd have to read the rest through relatively illegal means. The official English release of the manga stops at basically the same spot that the anime does.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Compared to Narutaru? Not really. The whole point of Narutaru is that it's completely fucked-up. It hits a little deeper than teenage depression.[/QUOTE]

Really, you think Naruto is dark. You haven't watched anime.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Really, you think Naruto is dark. You haven't watched anime.[/QUOTE]

You're the first person to mention Naruto in this thread, sir.

Alien Nine is the darkest anime I've ever seen. It is SO wrong on every level possible.

But to ask a question, I've been looking into the Bandai catalog and I really really want to get Gundam Seed Anime Legends Collections 1 and 2. However, every review on Amazon.com mentions the DVDs for the first set lock up, freeze, or just won't play a LOT. Has anyone had this problem? Should I just wait til whoever else gets the license and hope for a better set in a few years?

[quote name='Rogueleader17']You guys got curious not, From what I'm reading on wiki it sounds alot like Higurashi as it start out kinda cute looking and turns twisted.

Being my favorite show even I have to disagree, It had some pretty twisted moments but I can hardly call it the darkest ever.[/QUOTE]

your favorite show is evangelion and you have a tachikoma in your sig? lets run away together!!!

and thanks CAG....you tripled my backlog thanks to your deals, made me whack off to best buy, and arent helping me save money...but now you ruin my brain by making me want to check two supposedly good story animes that are very warped? damn you...damn you CAG.

You could just give it a try online and see if you like it. Alien Nine sounds a lot like Narutaru based on the description. But good thing Alien Nine is cheap to begin with, $4 at best.

Damn CAG indeed. But love it moar.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Alien Nine is the darkest anime I've ever seen. It is SO wrong on every level possible.

But to ask a question, I've been looking into the Bandai catalog and I really really want to get Gundam Seed Anime Legends Collections 1 and 2. However, every review on Amazon.com mentions the DVDs for the first set lock up, freeze, or just won't play a LOT. Has anyone had this problem? Should I just wait til whoever else gets the license and hope for a better set in a few years?[/QUOTE]

Well Mine just got shipped so Ill keep you informed if they haven't fixed it by now.

Also I remember the later half of shiki being pretty dark, not as much as Higurashi but pretty crazy.

your favorite show is evangelion and you have a tachikoma in your sig? lets run away together!!!
I just happened to have Gits on while I was making my profile lol.

[quote name='uncle5555']Yeah Anime and classic 80's animation stuff that goes OOP gets speculated pretty hard (Transformers the move and the GI Joe sets were insanely high until Shout Factory re-released them) and just look at the ADV catalog, Sailor Moon and Gatchaman (I believe) are still stupidly priced for complete runs. As is a majority of the stuff Viz licensed back in the day as well.

Yeah buying anime has always been a touchy thing to me, I own quite a few shows and have a dedicated cd binder for it (that's full) but the prices are way insane for collecting everything you want, then if something goes OOP, well your fucked, simple as that. No wonder profits are down and all these companies closing operations especially with piracy being so rampant with anime...anyway.

I'm glad to hear Funimation grabbing Akira, if they do a Blu-ray, they better include the Streamline dub, if so I'll pick it up, I can't literally stand the awful Pioneer dub, it makes my ears bleed. (I own the vhs, the pioneer release, then sought out the Manga region 2 LQ full screen streamline DVD, then finally got Madman ent.'s superb Region 4 release with widescreen and streamline dub, but would like a BR release like that as well. Awesome film, a classic.[/QUOTE]

I know i put my Black lagoon set on Ebay last March, not knowing any better and got 138 dollars, now its gonna be released on Blu-Ray.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Alien Nine is the darkest anime I've ever seen. It is SO wrong on every level possible.

But to ask a question, I've been looking into the Bandai catalog and I really really want to get Gundam Seed Anime Legends Collections 1 and 2. However, every review on Amazon.com mentions the DVDs for the first set lock up, freeze, or just won't play a LOT. Has anyone had this problem? Should I just wait til whoever else gets the license and hope for a better set in a few years?[/QUOTE]

I believe new copies work fine and this was a problem with early print runs. I ordered both sets brand new back in jan/feb and they both played fine.

[quote name='elessar123']Mindfuck isn't always dark. FLCL, for example, wasn't very dark.

And does Madoka count as dark?[/QUOTE]

Madoka counts as dark. It's all cute but gets serious dark around the end with all the revelations and all. But the rest we talked about around here still cut the cake.

[quote name='slainviper']Try this or this.[/QUOTE]

Those lists are terrible. Akagi is a mindfuck? lol.

For anime that fit the theme of Eva/Narutaru/Higurashi... there actually aren't all that many. Mnemosyne is probably my best recommendation there.

I'd say Umineko doesn't quite hit Higurashi levels, but they're similar so I'd recommend looking at Umineko if you liked Higurashi.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Those lists are terrible. Akagi is a mindfuck? lol.

For anime that fit the theme of Eva/Narutaru/Higurashi... there actually aren't all that many. Mnemosyne is probably my best recommendation there.

I'd say Umineko doesn't quite hit Higurashi levels, but they're similar so I'd recommend looking at Umineko if you liked Higurashi.[/QUOTE]
General guide, grain of salt, etc.

Also, add in Bokurano, which was written by the author of Narutaru. The better of the two in my opinion.

Edit: Oh, there's a dark tag too. Not sure that one's entirely accurate either.

Also, I started making a list. Not complete.
Alien Nine
Berserk
Bokurano
Boogiepop Phantom
Deadman Wonderland
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Evangelion
Gantz
Ghost Hound
Hellsing (Ultimate)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kakurenbo
Kurozuka
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Mirai Nikki
Narutaru
No Longer Human: Director's Cut
Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Shigurui
Shiki
Shoujo Tsubaki
Texhnolyze

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slainviper']General guide, grain of salt, etc.

Also, add in Bokurano, which was written by the author of Narutaru. The better of the two in my opinion.

Edit: Oh, there's a dark tag too. Not sure that one's entirely accurate either.

Also, I started making a list. Not complete.
Alien Nine
Berserk
Bokurano
Boogiepop Phantom
Deadman Wonderland
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Evangelion
Gantz
Ghost Hound
Hellsing (Ultimate)
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Kakurenbo
Kurozuka
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Mirai Nikki
Narutaru
No Longer Human: Director's Cut
Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Shigurui
Shiki
Shoujo Tsubaki
Texhnolyze
[/QUOTE]

Ah, Perfect Blue. How I miss thee....

Thanks everyone for the input on the Gundam Seed DVDs, I think I'll take a stab at them and hope for the best.

You guys are jerks. I'm trying to focus on Bandai stuff and now you're making me pick up Narutaru as well. ;)

I really hate saw-cuts though. I guess given the choice between a saw-cut case and paying $50 more, I'll live with the cuts. I just wish there were a mid-range option where I wouldn't have to guess on whether or not the set is fully intact.

bread's done
Back