Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jedimario']So is there a list of recommendations for anime from Bandai that I should try and get?[/QUOTE]

1. Cowboy Bebop
  2. Code Geass
  3. Eureka Seven
  4. Gurren Lagann
  5. Haruhi Suzumiya
  6. .hack (Sign or Roots are the best)
  7. If you like Gundam (Gundam 00 and Wing are my Favs)
  8. Outlaw Star
  9. Big O

[quote name='Rogueleader17']
  1. Cowboy Bebop
  2. Code Geass
  3. Eureka Seven
  4. Gurren Lagann
  5. Haruhi Suzumiya
  8. Outlaw Star
  9. Big O
[/QUOTE]

That's a nice list and all, but Ghost In The Shell needs to be snuggled in the number one spot sitting on Cowboy Bebop's lap. ;) (Your avatar is the Laughing Man, for God's sake!!! lol)

I'm also a big fan of Outlaw Star. Gundam is, well, a lot. It's an amazing series, and I own all of it, but it's hard to recommend any of it if you haven't seen any of it. There's multiple continuities. Many of the series are wildly different from each other in both style and tone. I would say start with 08th MS team or 0083. If you're going to get into Gundam, it should really be in the main continuity (Universal Century), and both of those are. Those are both on the shorter side, and are absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='jedimario']So is there a list of recommendations for anime from Bandai that I should try and get?[/QUOTE]

Ignore the other list, this one's better. ;)

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Code Geass
-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Ignore the other list, this one's better. ;)

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Code Geass
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.[/QUOTE]
Add G Gundam to that list, and it's awesome.

I find it interesting that you would like Escaflowne that much. I know you to be an absolute fuss pot. I've seen Escaflowne twice on TV, and once on my DVDs, and I found it utterly underwhelming every time. To me, it never really evolved out of a high school fantasy love story. There wasn't enough action (No, not everything has to be full of action, but this could really have used some more.) and Hitome is a terrible lead character. Let alone that you would hold it above GitS or some of the better Gundam series. You elitists, never can get you figured out! lol

[quote name='uncle5555']

I'm glad to hear Funimation grabbing Akira, if they do a Blu-ray, they better include the Streamline dub, if so I'll pick it up, I can't literally stand the awful Pioneer dub, it makes my ears bleed. (I own the vhs, the pioneer release, then sought out the Manga region 2 LQ full screen streamline DVD, then finally got Madman ent.'s superb Region 4 release with widescreen and streamline dub, but would like a BR release like that as well. Awesome film, a classic.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree about the Pioneer dub...sweet christ whoever managed that production should be shot in both kneecaps. Give me Cam Clarke's Kaneda any day of the week over that pile of garbage. Watched it with the Japanese lang. track after a friend picked up the dvd, was better than the new dub...but just didn't feel right. The Streamline dub is how I originally watched it, that's how I'll always want to watch it.

I don't have a region free dvd player, otherwise I would've picked up the Madman R4 release, since I've avoided all the other disc releases to date.

Actually that's not entirely true...I found a mint LASERDISC copy of the film with the Streamline dub @ a local used music/movie store for something like 6-8 bucks a few years back :cool:. The rip I have archived on my computer originally came from a laserdisc rip as well (not my own). Funny though...since I don't own a laserdisc player either.....eh, oh well.

Only thing from the lists I'm seeing people post that I need to get seems to be Cowboy Bebop, to replace my old bootleg discs. Glad I checked the DVD forum, thanks OP.

[quote name='Zaku77']I find it interesting that you would like Escaflowne that much. I know you to be an absolute fuss pot. I've seen Escaflowne twice on TV, and once on my DVDs, and I found it utterly underwhelming every time. To me, it never really evolved out of a high school fantasy love story. There wasn't enough action (No, not everything has to be full of action, but this could really have used some more.) and Hitome is a terrible lead character. Let alone that you would hold it above GitS or some of the better Gundam series. You elitists, never can get you figured out! lol[/QUOTE]

Same. Never liked Escaflowne. Maybe because I watched that horrible movie first, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Was the same with X.

I picked up Gundam 00 S2, which is the only thing I'm sure I will kick myself over for not having, out of the stuff I'm missing.

Is Lucky Star licensed by someone else other than Bandai? No one mentioned it, so maybe I'm out of the loop about it.

Of what I don't have, I'm still considering Kannagi, Saber Marionette J, Eureka Seven movie, Haruhi S2+movie, and Gundam Wing.

And if you can only pick a top three, Bebop, Wolf's Rain, and Escaflowne are so far out of everything else's league that it's crazy. Everyone needs to have those in their collection.[/QUOTE]
Heh while I have both Wolf's Rain and Escaflowne in my collection personally if you had me at gun point and I could only have 3 it would be Bebop, Code Geass and Ghost in the shell. Gurren would be up there fighting as well. As would The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. but to each their own.

that being said I need to finish picking up Code Geass... I am missing 2 of the season two sets... I have LE of every other set :/ I might just have to buy the complete season 2 set anyways though as it's cheaper than even the regular versions of the two sets I am missing.

My funds are tight now though so I guess I gotta hope that when amazon or right stuf clearances out their bandai stuff I can be around to pick it up for cheap.

[quote name='zulux21']My funds are tight now though so I guess I gotta hope that when amazon or right stuf clearances out their bandai stuff I can be around to pick it up for cheap.[/QUOTE]

With everything going out of production, I'd expect those prices to go *up*, if anything. Those old single-volume releases that got sold off so cheap happened because they were overproduced. The industry is much more careful now, and we're already seeing some pretty big price-increases on the stuff that's been disappearing.

[quote name='elessar123']Of what I don't have, I'm still considering... Saber Marionette J...[/QUOTE]

Yikes, out of everything you just mentioned, I'd definite suggest rethinking this one in particular. The first couple episodes are harmless enough, but after that? Ye gods.

I'm honestly shocked to see a couple people so down on Escaflowne. The show holds up so much better than almost everything else from the 90's, and the pacing is just flawless - few shows have done it better. It's not my favorite anime, by any means, (nothing's ever going to come close to Utena, heh), but it's still really, really good. Probably the best fantasy anime I can think of, honestly. I'll grant you that the movie sucks, in comparison, though.

[quote name='Zaku77']That's a nice list and all, but Ghost In The Shell needs to be snuggled in the number one spot sitting on Cowboy Bebop's lap. ;) (Your avatar is the Laughing Man, for God's sake!!! lol)

I'm also a big fan of Outlaw Star. Gundam is, well, a lot. It's an amazing series, and I own all of it, but it's hard to recommend any of it if you haven't seen any of it. There's multiple continuities. Many of the series are wildly different from each other in both style and tone. I would say start with 08th MS team or 0083. If you're going to get into Gundam, it should really be in the main continuity (Universal Century), and both of those are. Those are both on the shorter side, and are absolutely fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Ghost in the shell isn't being affected by what I've heard. Thats the only reason Its not on there.

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Code Geass
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

Some good choices but Big O had the biggest POS Ending I've ever seen, I would at least swap it with Code Geass. Never watched the escaflowne series because I hated the movie but I wouldn't doubt it was good, and I completely forgot Wolf's Rain (Shame on me). Finally I haven't seen the last 3 and I don't see Gurren lagann anywhere on that list and for that I say shame on you.

Maybe GITS SAC will finally see a BD release in the US. So tired of looking at those awesome sets for $300 that were only released in Japan.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']With everything going out of production, I'd expect those prices to go *up*, if anything. Those old single-volume releases that got sold off so cheap happened because they were overproduced. The industry is much more careful now, and we're already seeing some pretty big price-increases on the stuff that's been disappearing..[/QUOTE]
I suppose so but of the bandai stuff I believe I only need R2 of code geass a few random disks of lucky star and Gurren Lagann which both code geass and gurren are still in stock on amazon so I can wait for now.

I usually keep some money saved up in case I need to buy an anime on sale, but alas that got burned on inuyasha last month off rightstuf lol

[quote name='arcane93']Why watch the dub anyway? Ugh.

I will say this for the Bandai blu-ray -- the sound on the Japanese language track is one of the most impressive and striking audio tracks that I've heard on blu-ray. If you have a reasonably decent surround sound system, it's well worth grabbing it (while you still can) for the audio upgrade alone. Hopefully they'll keep the same Japanese audio track on the Funimation version, but there's no guarantee.[/QUOTE]

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of the Akira Bluray, from what I've heard its one of the best mixes ever done on home video ever (there's some big write ups online about it somewhere detailing this) however...

I've listened to the JPN version when I couldn't stand the Pioneer dub any longer, while decent, it's not what I was used to or could enjoy enough to slog through it, and Pioneers claim that the Streamline release was not accurate was bullshit, I watched both side by side with their "accurate subtitles" and the only differences were some unnecessary profanity and other explanation to confusing things that didn't make it any better in my opinion.

I liked the Streamline dub, plus there are many talented 80's VA's on the cast (Cam Clarke as Kenada) and I dunno how it is for some people the first time I hear something that's how I like watching it again, with the same VA's (unless its abysmal and amateurish sounding) then I'll switch over.

But I'm not so anal to believe that all JPN VA's are superior to their English counterparts, and will never think that, it's your opinion if you do, even though it is a misguided one.

[quote name='NuclearPorkchop']Completely agree about the Pioneer dub...sweet christ whoever managed that production should be shot in both kneecaps. Give me Cam Clarke's Kaneda any day of the week over that pile of garbage. Watched it with the Japanese lang. track after a friend picked up the dvd, was better than the new dub...but just didn't feel right. The Streamline dub is how I originally watched it, that's how I'll always want to watch it.

I don't have a region free dvd player, otherwise I would've picked up the Madman R4 release, since I've avoided all the other disc releases to date.

Actually that's not entirely true...I found a mint LASERDISC copy of the film with the Streamline dub @ a local used music/movie store for something like 6-8 bucks a few years back :cool:. The rip I have archived on my computer originally came from a laserdisc rip as well (not my own). Funny though...since I don't own a laserdisc player either.....eh, oh well.

Only thing from the lists I'm seeing people post that I need to get seems to be Cowboy Bebop, to replace my old bootleg discs. Glad I checked the DVD forum, thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see, I'm not the only fan of that classic and definitive dub of that movie. Unless you're stuck on not playing movies on your PC, VLC plays any region DVD movie perfectly fine, and that's how I watch all of my other region movies just fine. I'd recommend picking it up, since as I mentioned at the moment there is NO OTHER way to get that dub with high quality video at all in the world, as the R2 Manga Ent. release was a rubbish VHS full screen washed out atrocity (my VHS copy looked better) the region 4 version is the definitive version of the movie for that dub. As I said, I'd buy it again if the bluray came with the Streamline dub (for the what 4th time, lol) I love the movie and that dub that much.

Man, I've got a few shows I want to pick up, but I don't think I'll be able to due to lack of cash. I hope that some other companies pick up some of these shows if I'm not able to get them.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Yikes, out of everything you just mentioned, I'd definite suggest rethinking this one in particular. The first couple episodes are harmless enough, but after that? Ye gods.[/QUOTE]

I know. I couldn't get much further after they introduced the enemies. All the ones I listed, I haven't bought for one reason or another, and and I'm not sure if I would miss them if they were out of print.

Haruhi S2 is mostly on principle.

I picked up a handful of blu rays yesterday. I got the Eureka Seven movie, and I also picked up all 6 volumes of Kurokami. I know that Kurokami is a dubbed only release on blu ray, but Amazon is selling new versions out of their warehouse for around $40 for the whole series.

For the most part I've already got all of the Bandai stuff I'd want, and all the big ones have been mentioned already. There are a couple shows I'd like to mention in case anyone's interested.

Scrapped Princess - Although I think it's been oop for awhile, I don't think it will be something that another company will pick up. I encourage people to look into reviews (careful of spoilers for this show) and see if they're interested.

The same goes for Planetes.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Scrapped Princess - Although I think it's been oop for awhile, I don't think it will be something that another company will pick up. I encourage people to look into reviews (careful of spoilers for this show) and see if they're interested[/QUOTE]

"Scrapped Princess" has been a bit difficult to find for a good price since it went OOP last October. Luckily, I was able to grab an Anime Legends copy in great condition for $25 on eBay a few months ago :cool: Nowadays, you'll have to cough up around $50 average on eBay for the Anime Legends copy

If you're a fan of other animated works produced by BONES (Full Metal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, No. 6, etc.), I would definitely recommend Scrapped Princess. It has an interesting science-fiction premise with great characters. My biggest gripe with the show, however, is the fairly rushed ending.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']The gurren lagann movies arent bandai right?[/QUOTE]

The Gurren Lagann movies are released by Aniplex USA in the States, so they *shouldn't* be affected by Bandai's closure

[quote name='uncle5555']
Glad to see, I'm not the only fan of that classic and definitive dub of that movie. Unless you're stuck on not playing movies on your PC, VLC plays any region DVD movie perfectly fine, and that's how I watch all of my other region movies just fine. I'd recommend picking it up, since as I mentioned at the moment there is NO OTHER way to get that dub with high quality video at all in the world, as the R2 Manga Ent. release was a rubbish VHS full screen washed out atrocity (my VHS copy looked better) the region 4 version is the definitive version of the movie for that dub. As I said, I'd buy it again if the bluray came with the Streamline dub (for the what 4th time, lol) I love the movie and that dub that much.[/QUOTE]

I did not know that about VLC, I only ever use it when MPC doesn't want to play something properly. Again, totally agree about Pioneer's line of BS about the original dub being 'not properly translated'. Most of what they added was, like you said, some completely unnecessary profanity (IE: the scene where the previous-thought dud grenade goes off in the background).

I know GITS SAC is on netflix right now in SD, but is there seriously no Reg.A/All Blu release of it? I thought I saw some of the 'movies' on blu, I guess they didn't do the rest of the series proper. I'm seeing people mention it, but I'm still unclear on whether or not its a Bandai release and thusly, going OOP. (If so, I'll have to head back and pick up those cheap copies of 1st/2nd Gig I found at a local pawn shop).

*edit* Well dontcha know, there's the Bandai logo right on the AMZ product pic.

Thankfully I don't need much to finish out what I want from Bandai , I would encourage those about to make orders to not forget Rightstuf they are cheaper then Amazon here and there and have free economy shipping over $49.

[quote name='coolsteel']Thankfully I don't need much to finish out what I want from Bandai , I would encourage those about to make orders to not forget Rightstuf they are cheaper then Amazon here and there and have free economy shipping over $49.[/QUOTE]

I checked a bunch of things, and Rightstuf was cheaper only on Gundam for me.

And BBY has Code Geass R2 for $29.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Code+Ge...2375576&skuId=4675113&st=code geass&lp=2&cp=1

R1 is the same price, but it's backordered online.

Dang. I was hoping Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya would go down. Super Robot Wars has steep volumes too.

Not sure what to think about all the Gundams. So many and I'm not even into that genre much, relatively speaking. Please Teacher I'd like to see though.

[quote name='theclaw']Dang. I was hoping Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya would go down. Super Robot Wars has steep volumes too.

Not sure what to think about all the Gundams. So many and I'm not even into that genre much, relatively speaking. Please Teacher I'd like to see though.[/QUOTE]

Try Gundam 00. I'm a pretty big Gundam fan and I think that one is the best for people new to the franchise. Otherwise, anything in the Universal Century timeline is good.

A local Best Buy has two of the Code Geass Season 1 sets at $29.99 each. If anyone is after one, send me a PM (cost plus shipping).

Is this why Go Hastings is trying to sell a copy of the Gunbuster DVD set, used, for almost $1000? Because if they can get that much for a copy of Gunbuster on DVD I'll gladly part with mine.

[quote name='Squall835']Try Gundam 00. I'm a pretty big Gundam fan and I think that one is the best for people new to the franchise. Otherwise, anything in the Universal Century timeline is good.[/QUOTE]

I second that. 00 was probably my favorite of the other gundam stories.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']
  1. Cowboy Bebop
  2. Code Geass
  3. Eureka Seven
  4. Gurren Lagann
  5. Haruhi Suzumiya
  8. Outlaw Star
  9. Big O
[/QUOTE]

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Code Geass
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

I've only watched the ones that were on Toonami. Definitely going to try to get some of the blu-rays, probably not all of them. This is a good list of must haves then.

It would be a shame to see all these anime shows mostly forgotten.
If it weren't for the claw's avatar, I'd probably would have forgotten about Urusei Yatsura and Ranma 1/2. Wish those were on Blu-ray.

If you grew up with pong being the cool thing at school, I guess Kirin's/Rogue's lists are valid. But if you can still get up without assistance from your children, mine's better.

1. Code Geass (both seasons)
2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (both seasons + movie; watch first season in AIRING ORDER - check wikipedia for the proper order; only watch first and last episode of Endless Eight)
3. Gurren Lagann
4. K-On (first season; Sentai has the second and it's overpriced)
5. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Season 1 and 2)
6. Lucky Star
7. Banner/Crest of the Stars (Crest of the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Banner of the Stars II)

Haters may commence hating.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']It would be a shame to see all these anime shows mostly forgotten.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I don't think you will have to worry about that. Just because Bandai U.S. is shutting its doors, that doesn't mean the anime they produce isn't going to be released in the west. They will simply license out their properties to other publishers. And a lot of Bandia's back catalog is stuffed with series that have high critical acclaim and stable fanbases. I'm sure we'll be seeing most, if not all of them again at some point.

I am going to start looking for deals on Gundam series. I've always been a little lax in picking up the Gundam DVDs. Mainly because there are just so many of them, and I assumed that down that road lay madness. Most of them have box sets now, so the time is probably right.

-Cowboy Bebop
-Wolf's Rain
-Escaflowne
-Eureka Seven
-Big O
-Code Geass
-Planetes
-FLAG
-Toward the Terra

While I agree Escaflowne was great for its time, saying it's better than the likes of Ghost in the Shell is just crazy. And Cowboy Bebop is the most overated anime I've seen. > 90% of it is filler and the real story doesn't take place for more than a couple of episodes.

[quote name='TidalDreams']While I agree Escaflowne was great for its time, saying it's better than the likes of Ghost in the Shell is just crazy. And Cowboy Bebop is the most overated anime I've seen. > 90% of it is filler and the real story doesn't take place for more than a couple of episodes. [/QUOTE]

You're right. The only reason people like it is because it's likely one of the first ones they saw. It's a slightly above-average anime that received acclaim due to a lack of quality competition around the time when it was released and its prominent status on Cartoon Network. There are hundreds of better series out there.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']You're right. The only reason people like it is because it's likely one of the first ones they saw. It's a slightly above-average anime that received acclaim due to a lack of quality competition around the time when it was released and its prominent status on Cartoon Network. There are hundreds of better series out there.[/QUOTE]

If you don't count Pokemon/Digimon, I believe Escaflowne was the first anime I watched. I hold it in pretty high regard probably for that reason.

[quote name='TidalDreams']If you don't count Pokemon/Digimon, I believe Escaflowne was the first anime I watched. I hold it in pretty high regard probably for that reason.[/QUOTE]

Just for clarification, I was talking about Cowboy Bebop. I have yet to watch the Escaflowne series and probably never will since there are tons of less dated shoujo out there.

[quote name='Squall835']Has anyone seen Toward the Terra? The premise interests me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and it's worth a purchase. Good stuff.

I really like Cowboy Bebop. And I started watching it before it ever came out on Cartoon Network. (I was actually really irked when it did, because it drove the price for the DVDs through the roof) I like the fact that it doesn't spend most of its time harping on a single narrative. It was a more easy-going, laid-back show that just took its time exploring the various characters. Very creative use of music as well.

Sometimes shows are overrated. And sometimes they are popular because they are genuinely good. In a sea of much more formulaic anime, Cowboy Bebop broke out of the conventions set by its predecessors. It is a refreshing experience because it is so different from most anime.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I really like Cowboy Bebop. And I started watching it before it ever came out on Cartoon Network. (I was actually really irked when it did, because it drove the price for the DVDs through the roof) I like the fact that it doesn't spend most of its time harping on a single narrative. It was a more easy-going, laid-back show that just took its time exploring the various characters. Very creative use of music as well.

Sometimes shows are overrated. And sometimes they are popular because they are genuinely good. In a sea of much more formulaic anime, Cowboy Bebop broke out of the conventions set by its predecessors. It is a refreshing experience because it is so different from most anime.[/QUOTE]

Could you explain what makes it different and better than other anime? I hope you have enough familiarity with anime to show that its popularity is completely justified in the face of the hundreds of other series out there.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Could you explain what makes it different and better than other anime? I hope you have enough familiarity with anime to show that its popularity is completely justified in the face of the hundreds of other series out there.[/QUOTE]

Its soundtrack was brilliant. I don't see to many scifi shows with jazz and blues. The atmosphere that the whole show makes is very different from most scifi before its time. Thats the best I can do trying to explain why its so good.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Its soundtrack was brilliant. I don't see to many scifi shows with jazz and blues. The atmosphere that the whole show makes is very different from most scifi before its time. Thats the best I can do trying to explain why its so good.[/QUOTE]

This exactly. The characters are also extremely likable.

damnit all.

prices will skyrocket....no guarantee where some of these licenses will end up why must anime do this the second anything might go OOP and prices on anime are usually far higher than anything else with no guarantee the quality will be better than fan subs

oh well i have ghost in the shell, cowboy beepop(thank you i love you gamestop when you used to have used dvds for 2 dollars lol yes i bought in good condition that entire show for like 12 dollars lol) this was one reason i loved their used dvds anime was always around and cheap as hell, akira, and one of the escaflower movies. oh and kurokami blu rays were on sale recently for like 5-8 dollars so i got those to finish the collection

oh well more anime shows i never stand a chance of owning ever unless funimation picks them up...is funimation like the only anime distrbuter in america anymore?? it seems like everyone else has gone under? truly a shame what happened to anime in america

and to whoever asked i think the first ghost in the shell movie got a blu ray release in america ok checking amazon...the first movie got a blu ray release, the last movie did and those season compilations laughing man and indiviual eleven got a blu ray release(not the who seasons those 2 hour season summary movies)...the second movie appears to have a blu ray release but not in america(fortunently blu rays are less picky with regions) the second movie barely even came out in america in dvd format so not shocking

Has anyone watched FLAG ? If so is there a box set? If not can someone direct me to a cheap Vol 2 of it as Amazon doesn't have it but it has Vol 1, 3 and 4 for >20$

[quote name='kayne2000']damnit all.

prices will skyrocket....no guarantee where some of these licenses will end up why must anime do this the second anything might go OOP and prices on anime are usually far higher than anything else with no guarantee the quality will be better than fan subs

oh well i have ghost in the shell, cowboy beepop(thank you i love you gamestop when you used to have used dvds for 2 dollars lol yes i bought in good condition that entire show for like 12 dollars lol) this was one reason i loved their used dvds anime was always around and cheap as hell, akira, and one of the escaflower movies. oh and kurokami blu rays were on sale recently for like 5-8 dollars so i got those to finish the collection

oh well more anime shows i never stand a chance of owning ever unless funimation picks them up...is funimation like the only anime distrbuter in america anymore?? it seems like everyone else has gone under? truly a shame what happened to anime in america

and to whoever asked i think the first ghost in the shell movie got a blu ray release in america ok checking amazon...the first movie got a blu ray release, the last movie did and those season compilations laughing man and indiviual eleven got a blu ray release(not the who seasons those 2 hour season summary movies)...the second movie appears to have a blu ray release but not in america(fortunently blu rays are less picky with regions) the second movie barely even came out in america in dvd format so not shocking[/QUOTE]

GITS 2: Innocence DID have a Blu Ray release it's just out of print and overpriced as hell. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K98MFU/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

I'm assuming that's what your referring to if not than my bad.

yea i wasnt sure if that was even an american release and thats why it was OOP compared to all the other blu ray ghost in the shell stuff i saw.

but yea i saw that. i guess its just a limited release due to that movie having endless licensing issues. i figured it didnt get an american release due to it being OOP and high priced compared to the others but i guess im wrong. google seems to say it had an america release

me personally i wish they would make a season 3 its a crime when naruto is on its 1000th episode, the simpsons is closing in on 25 seasons and ghost in the shell has 3 movies and 2 seasons only.

Went ahead and ordered Eureka Seven since it has a new series (or whatever) on the way. I've been meaning to watch it and $30 for each didn't seem too bad. I might bite on it's movie next or the Haruhi movie with my next check. Other than that, I think I have everything I want from them at this point. I got Haruhi S1/S2, Cowboy Bebop Remix, Outlaw Star, and Gurren Lagann from previous sales.

I'm also considering Code Geass for next month (never watched it), but we'll see.

bread's done
Back