Bandai Entertainment will stop shipping anime to retailers in November

Vash1306

CAGiversary!
To all anime fans who haven't bought all that they want from Bandai, get on it now before its to late!

Credit to WTK
Bandai Will Stop Shipping Anime to Retailers In November
Ken Iyodomi, who is the president of Bandai Entertainment, sent us over a letter this morning to give us a heads up on what we've known has been coming and just never had a date for.

He writes:
"I am writing to inform you that Bandai Entertainment Inc in discontinuing its home video publishing and distribution business effective March 1, 2013.

As we methodically wind down the business, the last day that Bandai will be accepting any purchase orders is November 15, 2012, with our last shipments occurring on November 30th, 2012.

On Behalf of Bandai Entertainment Inc, I want to express our gratitude for the opportunity we've had to do business with your company, and I think you in advance for your understanding and assistance during this period."
Well, we all knew this was coming up. While Bandai's remaining catalog of Anime release will 'officially' go out of print in November, I just want to remind everyone that quite a few of their SKU's have already stocked out and others will probably sell out prior to the Nov cutoff, so if you need to pull the trigger on any of their stuff, don't wait too much longer.

This also means that current backorders for existing products are less likely to be filled, but we will do whatever we can to bring in as much Bandai stock as we can afford to between now and November.
via RACS
Several people have written in a little confused about Bandai's announcement last week that they will stop shipping to retailers in November. Most people want to know "what's going to happen to all their titles"? We'll here's the deal - effective Nov of this year everything in Bandai's DVD and BD catalog will officially go out of print (as will their entire selection of manga in October). Bandai has said they intend to shop some of these licenses out, but that process is likely to be slow and their back-catalog is just way to big to be absorbed into the market by the rest of the industry as it stands, so while it's likely that a few of the premium licenses will eventually end up getting re-released by someone else (hey Sentai, please pick up K-On season 1, OK?), I imagine most of their catalog will simply go dark. Now that doesn't mean that all their releases will just vaporize in November - retailers like us are currently scrapping together as much money as we can find to do big final buy-ins on Bandai's remaining stock, and at least for us, we're hoping to stock some of their titles pretty deep assuming we can get them. Over the next 6-12 months I would expect prices to rise for OOP Bandai titles that end up getting bought up quickly and become a little harder to find. This will, of course, result in the same bitching and moaning characterizing any price increases as greed and averice from the usual suspects who couldn't be bothered to pull the trigger on these titles for the many years they were available at the regular prices. Oh joy, I can't wait to read those people comments! :) But I also expect prices to decrease for a time on the titles that retailers choose poorly on and end up bringing in too much stock.

And before you ask, I have no idea what will become of Gundam - that series is an awfully big bite for another studio to try to take on. I fear the chances now that we'll ever see ZZ, Victory, or Turn a Gundam released in R1 are now pretty slim. ~sigh~

Anyway, we're going to go through the site during for the next couple of weeks and mark all Bandai releases as 'discontinued - limited to stock on hand' and also we'll be publishing a list shortly of all in stock Bandai titles so that you can see if there is anything you need before the lights go out in November.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whippleman']I wish I had a local anime shop :(.[/QUOTE]

I have about 3-4 within an hour drive from my house. 2 of them have a really tiny selection. The other 2 are overpriced as all hell. A single season of any Gundam show will run you at least $75. Guess it varies from place to place. Not a fan of the ones in my area at all.

[quote name='gundamb0i']Is lucky star any good?[/QUOTE]
A lot of people like it. A lot of other people think it's the worst anime ever made. I guess you'd have to try it for yourself to see if you like it.

Is there anywhere online or in Western PA where I can find Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny TV Movie IV: The Price of Freedom and SD Gundam Force Vol 9 at reasonable prices?

Lucky Star is a series that focuses very strongly on Otaku and anime-specific pop culture references. If you aren't already familiar with that "scene," a lot of the series won't make any sense to you. It is definitely not for the casual fan. For anyone who has been watching anime for a while, it is a pretty funny and lighthearted romp.

Lucky Star is kind of like an inside joke. You have to "get it" in order to see the appeal, otherwise it just makes you feel lost and confused.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Lucky Star is a series that focuses very strongly on Otaku and anime-specific pop culture references. If you aren't already familiar with that "scene," a lot of the series won't make any sense to you. It is definitely not for the casual fan. For anyone who has been watching anime for a while, it is a pretty funny and lighthearted romp.

Lucky Star is kind of like an inside joke. You have to "get it" in order to see the appeal, otherwise it just makes you feel lost and confused.[/QUOTE]
I suppose you might need a little knowledge of anime, but you definitely don't need too much. A basic knowledge of the most popular things that were out when it was released would suffice. Most of the fans of Lucky Star are pretty new to anime to begin with, so I doubt that would cause it to not be enjoyable.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Lucky Star is a series that focuses very strongly on Otaku and anime-specific pop culture references. If you aren't already familiar with that "scene," a lot of the series won't make any sense to you. It is definitely not for the casual fan. For anyone who has been watching anime for a while, it is a pretty funny and lighthearted romp.

Lucky Star is kind of like an inside joke. You have to "get it" in order to see the appeal, otherwise it just makes you feel lost and confused.[/QUOTE]

Even if you "get it", you may not like it. I thought it was very mediocre. They tried to ride on the success of Haruhi as well.

It's one of my favorites. Don't let these pessimists turn you away from judging the series for yourself. If you enjoy "newspaper comic strip" humor (Peanuts, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, etc) and you're an anime fan, then there's a VERY high chance that you'll love "Lucky Star."

[quote name='Vegan']Lucky Star is good if you go in with no expectation of any sort of overall plot.[/QUOTE]

Cromartie High School was just like that except it was an actually good show unlike Lucky.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Cowboy bebop bluray is 7.99 right now on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Bebop-...8&qid=1347954671&sr=8-2&keywords=cowboy+bebop

Cheapest Ive seen new.[/QUOTE]
Not that everyone here cares, but as a word of warning the US Blu Ray release doesn't have multi-channel audio. It is stereo only, unlike the DVD which has 5.1 audio. There's also no extra features on the BD, but I don't remember the DVD having many extras to begin with.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Not that everyone here cares, but as a word of warning the US Blu Ray release doesn't have multi-channel audio. It is stereo only, unlike the DVD which has 5.1 audio. There's also no extra features on the BD, but I don't remember the DVD having many extras to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I probably won't get it now because of the stereo audio. I wouldn't have cared had the dvd also had stereo. It just makes no sense that the bluray version has less than the DVD?

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Not that everyone here cares[/QUOTE]

Well I'm just giving a friendly heads up to all those who were thinking about about getting the anime legends and want the movie as well to complete thier cowboy bebop collection so don't post if you don't care.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Well I'm just giving a friendly heads up to all those who were thinking about about getting the anime legends and want the movie as well to complete thier cowboy bebop collection so don't post if you don't care.[/QUOTE]
Huh?

I was saying that not everyone cares about multi-channel audio like I do. I was letting people know about the audio so that they didn't just assume it would have the same audio options as the DVD release.

also the cowboy beepop movie is terrible so there is that too. but certainly worth watching and for 7.99 it is worth it i would say to watch at least once.

also started watching shadow star narataru and i just finished disc 1.....really not sure which psychotic direction this show is going to go and its quite clear im going to have to watch this a few times to know wtf is going.

i will say this i find it quite amazing how much this show appears like an innocent childrens show in the first episode and a half and by the end of episode 2 its quite clear this is a terrible horrible ruse lol. its really like a suckerpunch to the gut from a skinny old man who is actually a 10th degree black belt lol.

[quote name='kayne2000']also the cowboy beepop movie is terrible so there is that too. but certainly worth watching and for 7.99 it is worth it i would say to watch at least once.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't terrible.

[quote name='kayne2000']compared to the anime series of 26 episodes yea it was.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't as good as the series, yes, but terrible no.

[quote name='roger watersmelon']Huh?

I was saying that not everyone cares about multi-channel audio like I do. I was letting people know about the audio so that they didn't just assume it would have the same audio options as the DVD release.[/QUOTE]

My appologies friend I read it wrong.

[quote name='Rogueleader17']It wasn't as good as the series, yes, but terrible no.

My appologies friend I read it wrong.[/QUOTE]

well i thought the movie was fairly terrible. 5/10 or 6/10. ive watched it a few times once originally when i got it and thought it was meh, and a few times afterwards just to see if my tastes have changed or not.

[quote name='Olengie']Picked up G Gundam Collection II for $15.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='B:L']Where?[/QUOTE]
Bump on this question.

Credit to WTK
Some BEI releases to keep an eye on...

>>> Amazon.com status: only available via 3rd party venders > Amazon.com status: Usually ships in 1 to 2 months. > Amazon.com status: Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. > TRSI status: We'll Get It for You! > TRSI status: More Arriving Soon!

Damn, I was hoping that right stuf would have a bandai sale so I could get as much as I can. I guess that was hoping for a bit too much...

Well there goes worrying about if I can get Eureka Seven 2nd and Gundam OO 2nd collection between now and the end of the year.

well just finished shadow star narataru and must say i am dissappointed. the show shows a ALOT of promise but fails to deliver. though i think the fact the manga could of given this show a full 26 episodes as opposed to the 13 is the primary reason for the failure. i wonder why it got canned? can people only handle reading the messed up crap of episode 12 and 13 but viewing it is too tough even in japan???

so i cant speak for the manga....but the anime really isnt all that dark. it flirts with the idea and the last two episodes are certainly on the crazy scale but then it just ends. somewhat dissappointing really. wish this could of gotten a full 26 episodes as it finally starts getting quite interesting by disc 4 and well then the show drops everything creates a new story arc and goes in that direction.

its a shame i really wanted to love it as it has a good set up. the first 6 episodes are a great set up to what could be amazing evil psychotic fun tv to watch. but it never truly delivers.

dont get me wrong im not mad i watched or it got recommended i enjoyed what was there. just wished this could of gotten a full 26 episodes and not just 13 i think then i might i loved it.

[quote name='kayne2000']well just finished shadow star narataru and must say i am dissappointed. the show shows a ALOT of promise but fails to deliver. though i think the fact the manga could of given this show a full 26 episodes as opposed to the 13 is the primary reason for the failure. i wonder why it got canned? can people only handle reading the messed up crap of episode 12 and 13 but viewing it is too tough even in japan???

so i cant speak for the manga....but the anime really isnt all that dark. it flirts with the idea and the last two episodes are certainly on the crazy scale but then it just ends. somewhat dissappointing really. wish this could of gotten a full 26 episodes as it finally starts getting quite interesting by disc 4 and well then the show drops everything creates a new story arc and goes in that direction.

its a shame i really wanted to love it as it has a good set up. the first 6 episodes are a great set up to what could be amazing evil psychotic fun tv to watch. but it never truly delivers.

dont get me wrong im not mad i watched or it got recommended i enjoyed what was there. just wished this could of gotten a full 26 episodes and not just 13 i think then i might i loved it.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of how the Gantz anime ended or didn't, it sucks when a show that could have been really good doesn't get an ending for the anime. A few others that come to mind will propably not get an ending are Air Gear, Princess Jellyfish, and claymore.

didnt the claymore anime have an ending? i seem to recall it having a fairly good ending(no idea compared to the manga never read it)

and yea i could deal with more fruits basket and yes im sure man points just got lost by saying that lol

but all those shows get actual endings of some sort....shadow star just ends with nothing resolved at all and quite frankly it ends with 100 more questions than you had at the beginning of episode 13. so to say shadow star gets an anime ending is laughable lol. it just ends dead smack at the end of quite a major plot event that gets resolved but leaves about 100 more questions to it.

its quite obvious a launching pad story line to get somewhere else....the real crime is also the english manga stopped being released at this point to so it ends there....so your only option learn japanese or look up those evil illegal fan manga translations lol. so piracy + 1 in this case eh???

[quote name='Rogueleader17']Anyone else pissed that code geass season 1 came in a regular sized dvd case and season 2 came is a double sized anime legends box.[/QUOTE]

This. I completely agree. I actually prefer the double sized boxes for some odd reason. I know they take up more room but it makes it feel like I have something more substantial. My Cowboy Bebop Remix came in the regular sized case so I took it back to the Best Buy store and swapped it for the double size one.

[quote name='kayne2000']didnt the claymore anime have an ending? i seem to recall it having a fairly good ending(no idea compared to the manga never read it)
[/QUOTE]

No the Claymore anime had a terrible ending. The manga is better (and it's still going) but even that's going downhill fast. Too many irrelevant characters popping up too fast and disappearing even faster. It's seriously hard to keep track of billions of anime women who are almost exactly the same looking except maybe a slight difference in hair style. Not to mention they only release one chapter a month.

[quote name='fishphoenix']No the Claymore anime had a terrible ending.[/QUOTE]

A terrible ending is different than no ending. Claymore did have an ending, even if it may not have satisfied people. Deadman Wonderland, for example, didn't have an ending, since the manga is still ongoing.

You mention Princess Jellyfish. The Funimation guys mentioned at a con that they were hoping to spark some popularity to get more produced, but in this market I doubt something like that would happen.

[quote name='TheLongshot']A terrible ending is different than no ending. Claymore did have an ending, even if it may not have satisfied people. Deadman Wonderland, for example, didn't have an ending, since the manga is still ongoing.

You mention Princess Jellyfish. The Funimation guys mentioned at a con that they were hoping to spark some popularity to get more produced, but in this market I doubt something like that would happen.[/QUOTE]

yea this. claymore had an ending shadow star just flat out does not have an ending except some crap that is pieced together in the last minute quite literally the last minute they cheese something of an ending together which is quite frankly no ending because again you get left with 100 new questions. and the only way to get the ending is to find a fan translation of the manga because it stopped being published after volume 7(or episode 13 of the anime).

i just watched alien nine....that too is another case of no ending except some cheese pieced together during the ending credits lol. and thanks to this many questions just go flat out unanswered and as the show ends it even raises more questions during that last little bit too so its very clear its not an ending.

i really wish people that animate mangas would commit to finishing the animation and not in the case of shadow star and alien nine stop half way through....alien nine is more offensive as it is 4 freakin mangas and that is it and stops half way through lol. yes i know its easier said than done and many things factor into a cancelled show but it still sucks.

as for another disturbing anime i just watched witch of the dark master....its quite good and manages to warp my brain in the whole 40 minutes of the movie which is impressive.

[quote name='coolsteel']Gundam 00 Season 2 collection now seems to be gone everywhere[/QUOTE]

Whoof, It sounds like I got mine just in time.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Whoof, It sounds like I got mine just in time.[/QUOTE]

This is what I dont get. If orders are being taken till November 15th, how come Gundam 00 Season 2 is hard to find?

bread's done
Back