Barnes and Noble Sale: 50% off The Criterion Collection

Rocko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
Barnes and Noble seems to have marked all Criterion releases as ineligible for further discounts, so until further notice all coupon codes will not work.

Use the following URL for 6% off and free shipping on order $25 or more:

bn.com/militarycity

Use code U8K3U4A for NEW USERS to get 20% off. Gmail dot-trick will work, so there's no reason not to use this coupon for every item to get the best possible price. Note that this is for new accounts on Barnes and Noble dot com, not to be confused with paid memberships to Barnes and Noble. This is for a new, free account on their website.

Note that one $40 MSRP Criterion film and one $20 MSRP Essential Art House film will be just under the $25 for free shipping. Use the standard Barnes and Noble link to bypass the 6% discount and get the total up over $25 for free shipping.

This sale is also good in-store. Thanks to gojiboy for this printable coupon good for 10% off (Note that it expires on 7/18): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email...r-_-Generic-_-100708_NF01_Coupon-_-coucounmla

Go crazy.

Sale ends on August 1st. 20% off Coupon expires on August 8th. Good on both DVDs and Blu-Rays, and also includes Criterion's Eclipse DVD sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone used the GSA link for barnes and noble? i remember someone mentioning it for the life BD sale a month ago, but the website says it's for GOVERNMENT SALES ONLY.

Yeah, GSA link wont work. But here, give it a shot http://www.barnesandnoble.com/gsa/

also the 20% coupon for new users does not seem to work with 6% link discount. But maybe thats just me, I'm not trying too hard.

This coupon can only be redeemed once per customer on a first-time purchase with a new account online at BN.COM.
This coupon is valid from July 6, 2010 to August 9, 2010 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time.
The 20% discount will be applied to the most expensive eligible item in the order - not the entire purchase - and will be deducted after all other eligible discounts are applied.

Anyone think Amazon will price match this?

[quote name='Arakias']Yeah, GSA link wont work. But here, give it a shot http://www.barnesandnoble.com/gsa/

also the 20% coupon for new users does not seem to work with 6% link discount. But maybe thats just me, I'm not trying too hard.

Anyone think Amazon will price match this?[/QUOTE]

thanks, here's to a work around...

The 20% coupon does work with the 6% discount. I just ordered the Nikkatsu Noir set for $34.99 and got $8.68 off. That's 20% off of $34.99 ($7) and 6% off of the remaining $27.99 ($1.68) for a total of $8.68 off.

No, the 20% is for new users of Barnes and Noble dot com. Not their membership, just a new account on the website.

[quote name='Rocko']No, the 20% is for new users of Barnes and Noble dot com. Not their membership, just a new account on the website.[/QUOTE]

Great news. I'll get one from the website to score the 20%. Thanks!

AHHHHHH I just bought a few games and if I knew about this I would have got this over the games. Which blurays are going out of print?

Only Pierrot Le Fou is OOP (or going) but it's not on sale. All other OOP titles (like The Third Man) have been sold out for a while. Perhaps you might find them in stores though

picked up 8 1/2 and Stagecoach on Blu for $36 shipped so far. Surprisingly I'm showing some restraint.

If it weren't for those recent anime sales all my money would have went to this.

Thanks OP. I just ordered Mystery Train and the two-volume By Brakhage set on blu-ray, and Loves of a Blonde on regular. I imagine I'll probably buy a lot more by the time this sale is over (I bought like 20 DVDs the last time they had this sale), but those were the three things I didn't already have that I knew there was no way I wouldn't want. (And too bad the sale ends right before Crumb and Louie Bluie come out... )

Apparently their site doesn't work with Chrome. Went ahead and got myself Yojimbo/Sanjuro blu on Firefox. Yay extra 20$ off~

Tried to get 'Do The Right Thing' through the Military City discount + free shipping + 20% off.

The Blu Ray is $17.99. Both discounts take off $4.47, but shipping isn't free. Plus tax...it's $17.50.

Doesn't seem worth it to save a couple bucks on tax.

I knew this was coming so I have been saving my money. I ordered the following.

Blu-Ray:
The 400 Blows
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Kagemusha
Hunger
In The Realm of the Senses
Bigger Than Life
Last Year at Marianbad
Chunking Express
M
The Wages of Fear

DVD:
Rashomon
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress
Brazil

All for $243 shipped. Also note that the essential arthouse films are a part of the sale too.

Yeah, it seems like the military site doesn't give free shipping unless it's $25. That's unfortunate. It says all orders ship free.

I was considering ordering Gomorrah, but now I think I'll order it with an Essential Art House DVD in order to get the free shipping. I'm thinking Knife in the Water, The 39 Steps, or Rashomon.

I just got back with Che and Gomorrah both on bluray. I was able to use 2 $5 off coupons one for each bringing Che down to $19.03 and Gomorrah down to $14.14. I had to do two separate transactions of course but no problem. Great prices, I have a few more to get but only 6 total this time around.

That AK100 Kurosawa boxset is so damn tempting. It's $199 before any coupons, but I own nearly every film in it, except for the 4 exclusives which are coming separately in an Eclipse boxset in August. Love the presentation though. Maybe I could sell all my single Kurosawa criterions and get it, but then again the individual sets are better since they have all the extras and such. I just want the casing and book I guess, lol :D

edit: It has a sales rank of 72 so it's selling very nicely atm

Yeah I just noticed that too. I figured for a set like that (at that price) they'd include all the extras found in the individual sets but ah well. I'll keep all the ones I have now. I'm glad they're finally releasing those early AK films separately though. I've seen some of them already (Sanshiro Sugata 1 and II), but they were poor transfers.

Wow, I'm ashamed that I haven't heard of many of these titles. I'm an aspiring film lover, but I wondering why I haven't made my way in watching these flicks. Any suggestions on any of these Criterion films to watch that are worth buying from this sale (or rent at the very least)?

[quote name='nflsonic']Wow, I'm ashamed that I haven't heard of many of these titles. I'm an aspiring film lover, but I wondering why I haven't made my way in watching these flicks. Any suggestions on any of these Criterion films to watch that are worth buying from this sale (or rent at the very least)?[/QUOTE]

It's quite hard to recommend a lot of criterion's due to taste and what not. However, some of my favorite's are:

Seven Samurai
Brazil
8 1/2
The Seventh Seal
Hoop Dreams
Slacker
Breathless
Blast of Silence
and so many more...

If you check out netflix they have a few on their streaming service too. All their films at this price are worth it (as most retain their value, so if you had to sell them you'll probably make at least your money back if not more).

Yeah, I'd really like the REVANCHE Blu-Ray, but it's probably cheaper to go in-store w/ the 10% coupon than find a filler item to get the 20% online. Too bad there's not a "$5 off DVD" coupon like last year ....

It is hard to make a list because there's too many must-see movies in my view, but here are my favorites. Biases are evident, lol

-All of Kurosawa's films but particularly Seven Samurai, Yojimbo/Sanjuro, Ran (OOP though), and The Hidden Fortress
-All of Ozu's work, but particularly The Floating Weeds collection, and Tokyo Story
-Fellini's work, but particularly 8 1/2 and Le Notti di Cabiria (or The Nights of Cabiria, also OOP)
-The 400 Blows
-M
-Samurai trilogy
-The Woman who ascends the stairs
-Ugetsu
-The Seventh Seal

too many

[quote name='nflsonic']Wow, I'm ashamed that I haven't heard of many of these titles. I'm an aspiring film lover, but I wondering why I haven't made my way in watching these flicks. Any suggestions on any of these Criterion films to watch that are worth buying from this sale (or rent at the very least)?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to suggest a few directors (and their best bet films) that I think are fairly newbie friendly when it comes to art house films...

Wes Anderson: The Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket (BN.com doesn't seem to stock the Criterion Rushmore)
Akira Kurosawa: Seven Samurai, Yojimbo (and its sequel, Sanjuro)
Jim Jarmusch: Night on Earth, Down by Law
Wong Kar-Wai: Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love
Terry Gilliam: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Brazil
François Truffaut: The 400 Blows
Carol Reed: The Third Man (OOP)
Erik Skjoldbjærg: Insomnia
Al Reinert: For All Mankind
Yasujiro Oz: Good Morning (Tokyo Story is awesome, but it is long and slow, so work up to stuff like that)
George Sluizer: The Vanishing (Note: this is quite disturbing)
Kon Ichikawa: Tokyo Olympiad (OOP)

Starring at the Blu Ray lsit of movies trying to figure out what to get. Instore I am going to pick up The Man Who Fell To Earth. In my cart, I have Bigger Than Life, Chungking Express, and Hunger.

Thanks for all of the replies! I actually have Seven Samurai on my instant queue, but for some reason never got around to seeing it. I have a friend that is a huge movie buff has pretty much shown me all of the Wes Anderson flicks and even a bunch of Korean films (Chan-wook Park films immediately come to mind).

This will certainly catch me up on expanding my film horizon!

+1 for Seven Samurai, it's an awesome movie. I got in for the Yojimbo/Sanjuro blus. Thanks OP for saving me extra 8 bucks on top of the 50% off.

I am aiming for these on Blu Ray....
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Kagemusha
The Last Emperor
Gomorrah
Che

I am deeply considering the AK: 100 set but what are the chances that more of the films in this set will get a blu ray release? Is a black and white film look that much better on Blu Ray? lolol

Blu-ray does make a huge difference, even in Black and White, maybe even especially. It'll be a while before most of those movies make it to Blu-ray, if they ever do, so no, I don't see many of those having Blu-ray releases anytime soon. Seven Samurai is likely next, and perhaps Rashomon after.

^^^ Hey thanks. It sucks the coupons codes no longer work on BN.com site. Oh well... save me more money.

I tried get Yojimbo/Sanjuro for $31.XX after taxes & Shipping. I wonder why my membership discount not take off extra 10% off. ??

bread's done
Back