Barnes and Noble Sale: 50% off The Criterion Collection

Rocko

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
Barnes and Noble seems to have marked all Criterion releases as ineligible for further discounts, so until further notice all coupon codes will not work.

Use the following URL for 6% off and free shipping on order $25 or more:

bn.com/militarycity

Use code U8K3U4A for NEW USERS to get 20% off. Gmail dot-trick will work, so there's no reason not to use this coupon for every item to get the best possible price. Note that this is for new accounts on Barnes and Noble dot com, not to be confused with paid memberships to Barnes and Noble. This is for a new, free account on their website.

Note that one $40 MSRP Criterion film and one $20 MSRP Essential Art House film will be just under the $25 for free shipping. Use the standard Barnes and Noble link to bypass the 6% discount and get the total up over $25 for free shipping.

This sale is also good in-store. Thanks to gojiboy for this printable coupon good for 10% off (Note that it expires on 7/18): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email...r-_-Generic-_-100708_NF01_Coupon-_-coucounmla

Go crazy.

Sale ends on August 1st. 20% off Coupon expires on August 8th. Good on both DVDs and Blu-Rays, and also includes Criterion's Eclipse DVD sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, looks like coupons are dead on Criterion items.[/QUOTE]

Of course right when I was about to order a few movies. I guess I might have to check out the stores and use the 10% off coupon.

YMMV on this, of course, but I took a trip to Best Buy and asked if they'd PM the sale. They said yes. This pleased me. I grabbed one of each Blu Ray title they had (had no time to look through all of the DVDs) Please let me know if I got any pieces of shit! They all seem interesting, though...

After 50% off, the following were 14.99:

Ride with the Devil
Red Desert
Walkabout
Summer Hours
Stagecoach
Vivre Sa Vie

This was 22.49: Che, both parts

This was an easy call for me because this was roughly the same price after all of the coupon stacking at Barnes' website along with the ability to get these titles instantly. Sad to see the coupon stacking dead online. =( I was so ready to order what was in my cart, but got sidetracked at work...

Went to the store today and picked up Days of Heaven and the Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey Blu Rays. Combined with my cousin's employee discount, I got them for $33.xx.

Going back later for Paris, Texas and 400 Blows Blu Rays.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Went to the store today and picked up Days of Heaven and the Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey Blu Rays. Combined with my cousin's employee discount, I got them for $33.xx.

Going back later for Paris, Texas and 400 Blows Blu Rays.[/QUOTE]

My bro works for gamestop ans he gets a discount at barnes and noble. Can he combine the 50% off and his discount?

[quote name='ryosnk']My bro works for gamestop ans he gets a discount at barnes and noble. Can he combine the 50% off and his discount?[/QUOTE]

Yessir. I was able to do that today and it worked without a hitch.

YMMV on this, of course, but I took a trip to Best Buy and asked if they'd PM the sale. They said yes. This pleased me.

Out of curiosity, what did you tell them exactly and/or show them for them to match the sale?

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']YMMV on this, of course, but I took a trip to Best Buy and asked if they'd PM the sale. They said yes. This pleased me. I grabbed one of each Blu Ray title they had (had no time to look through all of the DVDs) Please let me know if I got any pieces of shit! They all seem interesting, though...

After 50% off, the following were 14.99:

Ride with the Devil
Red Desert
Walkabout
Summer Hours
Stagecoach
Vivre Sa Vie

This was 22.49: Che, both parts

This was an easy call for me because this was roughly the same price after all of the coupon stacking at Barnes' website along with the ability to get these titles instantly. Sad to see the coupon stacking dead online. =( I was so ready to order what was in my cart, but got sidetracked at work...[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed this worked... they *should* have just matched the final BN.com price, not the 50% off aspect. Good luck to anyone else trying this.

[quote name='zenintrude']I'm amazed this worked... they *should* have just matched the final BN.com price, not the 50% off aspect. Good luck to anyone else trying this.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was surprised. People have pulled off amazing price matches at Best Buy before, so I think it's worth trying. You're gonna wind up getting the same price as the coupon stacking with less waiting, and Reward Zone points.

Only problem is their selection is limited (or it could just be my store, unfortunately Best Buy's website was down all last night). Someone else should try pricematching and see what's up-- oddly enough, I asked a supervisor who then asked a member of security walking by. It was cleared by both parties.

Night Train to Munich : 29.99 - 50%, 10% membership & $5 coupon = $8.50 plus tax :D

*When you use the $5 coupon, you have to argue that the BN selling price is technically 29.99 (the coupon states that the BN selling price is the price before any discounts; thus, before the 50% off).

Originally, they tried to tell me that I was wrong, given the circuitous wording of the coupon that may be interpreted in anyone's favor. However, when I mentioned that I would go to another location where they accepted the coupon, they eventually changed their tune.

I understand that they might not like you using the same coupon more than once, but hey, at least I’m disposed to spending money in this economy. I remember last year one cashier let me reuse my extra 25% coupon numerous times. Hell, you’d think they’d be willing to show some leeway this year. If they are stuck up about it, then I will likely only buy one item or no item at all. Yet if they are agreeable then I will not hesitate to purchase in excess of 20 items. It’s all about finding the right person. Good luck to all other CAG’s in their quests for deals.

wow cheers to all those that got in on the pm'ing

now i feel awful for spending ~80 on 8 1/2, Days of Heaven, Revanche, and Last Year at Marienbad

I missed out on the coupons but I needed to get out of the house anyways.

Grabbed Sanjuro and Yojimbo on Blu Ray. They were bundled together in a slick looking box for 37.XX in store. This was the best bang for the buck but I was tempted to check out the other Kurosawa films- they had tons of his stuff.

Managed to pick up The Man Who Fell To Earth blu ray (already have the dvd set) in-store before it was totally oop. Also grabbed The Leopard. Probably order Che, Bigger Than Life and Vivre Sa Vie.

I was pretty disappointed about the coupon stacking, but I still picked up The Man Who Fell to Earth (dvd), A Woman is a Woman, The Milky Way, Mr. Arkadin, Breathless, Vampyr, The Human Condition, and Black Narcissius (blu-ray).

Crap. I've been waiting for them to do this sale again. They have to do it right now when I've got a ton of moving expenses.

Picked these up(all dvd):

Pigs, Pimps, & Prostitutes Set: Includes: Intentions of Murder, The Insect Woman, Pigs and Battleships $79.99
A Woman Under the Influence $39.99
Made in U.S.A $29.99
Gomorrah $39.99
The Hit $29.99

after taxes I paid 101.11 after using my 10% membership and a 10% off coupon for the $79.99 set. Cashier wouldnt let me do multiple trasactions to use other coupons. :/ Ah well.

Glad this is going on another 2 weeks. And I get paid every week so Ill definitely be going back the next 2 weeks. I'm interested in that Monorai boxset. Think thats what it was called. Has like 4 dvds and is a documentary of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, etc.

Anyone know if its any good?

[quote name='yoricksdeath']Was able to get Days of Heaven (Blu-Ray) $14.04. Got a few more on the list.[/QUOTE]

Wait, how'd you get it for $14.04?

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Wait, how'd you get it for $14.04?[/QUOTE]
As I have gotten a few for $14.xx ...

$20 - $2 (10% in-store membership discount) - $5 coupon ($5 off $20 DVD) = $13 + tax

Usage of the $5 coupon is very YMMV. They system does not automatically take it, so it needs to be entered manually. The wording on the coupon is such that it should be accepted, but it is not very straightforward.

That being said ... I have had mixed results this time around. I have had it accepted twice and had it rejected twice. When I get it rejected, I pull out a 15% off coupon, which always works ... it costs me $2 more $20 - $2 - $2.70 = $15.30, but still a great deal.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Picked these up(all dvd):

Pigs, Pimps, & Prostitutes Set: Includes: Intentions of Murder, The Insect Woman, Pigs and Battleships $79.99
A Woman Under the Influence $39.99
Made in U.S.A $29.99
Gomorrah $39.99
The Hit $29.99

after taxes I paid 101.11 after using my 10% membership and a 10% off coupon for the $79.99 set. Cashier wouldnt let me do multiple trasactions to use other coupons. :/ Ah well.

Glad this is going on another 2 weeks. And I get paid every week so Ill definitely be going back the next 2 weeks. I'm interested in that Monorai boxset. Think thats what it was called. Has like 4 dvds and is a documentary of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, etc.

Anyone know if its any good?[/QUOTE]

Don't open that Cassevette Film "Woman under the influence". I was about to snag that and then realized the 5 Films by Cassavette is a phenomenal deal. I'd rethink and go that route. All his movies are pretty highly regarded. "Chinese Bookie" and Martin Scorscesee's favorite "Faces".

Coupon Updates

Many locations are really liberal with the $5 dollar coupon. I have had 2 clerks ring me up consecutively with the coupon. At one store we had 12 separate transactions.

Ask your store if they have a member special %15 percent coupon for those box sets. Anything over $50 this is a better deal obviously. The cashier had it hidden in the register and was giving it to members. Used this with the Member discount to pick up the Rialto 10 Films collection for $60 (No extras but many in this collection are OOP), and the By Brakhage Blu Ray anthology for $32!!!!

Good buying

I ending up buying the following ala using my membership and AAA discount (no coupons since they stopped taking them online):

Bergman: Trilogy set
Bergman: Four Masterworks set
Berlin Alexanderplatz set
Eclipse Chantal Akerman set
Eclipse Samuel Fuller set
Eclipse Postwar Kurosawa set
Paul Robeson set
Rosselini War Trilogy set
Summertime
The Lower Depths
Make Way for Tomorrow
Everlasting Moments (Blu)

Btw, Bergman fans... the MGM 6-dvd set is on sale at oldies.com for 12.99 (about $16+ with shipping) here.

[quote name='Sixtywatz']Don't open that Cassevette Film "Woman under the influence". I was about to snag that and then realized the 5 Films by Cassavette is a phenomenal deal. I'd rethink and go that route. All his movies are pretty highly regarded. "Chinese Bookie" and Martin Scorscesee's favorite "Faces".[/QUOTE]

kinda too late. But I bought this stuff in store, and didnt see that set, so no biggy. Im not keen on buying online. Never have been. But I'll keep an eye out for some of the other films. May even already own some. Know the titles in the set? I do remember seeing Faces there. Was contemplating on getting that.

Missed the coupon window, so I'm probably gonna pass this time.

I might get Tokyo Drifter, though.

Picked up Che (Blu) $18.94 The Seventh Seal (Blu) $14.07, Kagemusha (Blu) $14.07 and Wings of Desire (Blu) $18.XX . I wonder why MSRP on Wings of Desire is $49.99 and bn.com is MSRP $39.99 ??

Here are my purchases (All Blu Rays):

Che
Gomorrah
The Last Emperor
Yojimbo & Sanjuro
El Norte
Chungking Express
Walkabout

My next purchases will probably be Hunger and Kagemusha. Or Maybe the AK 100 set, hopefully next time they slip up on the 15% off coupon + BN library link.

I figured I jumped on this now since I don't often see sales or discounts on Criterions anywhere. Unless I'm looking in all the wrong places...

[quote name='AceBB6']

I figured I jumped on this now since I don't often see sales or discounts on Criterions anywhere. Unless I'm looking in all the wrong places...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this doesn't happen very often, but it seems like B&N are starting to make is a semi-annual sale. And these discs are totally worth the money at this price.

Picked up Chungking Express, 400 Blows, Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, and Last Year at Marienbad on Blu-ray.

Just a tip too: for those with Discover cards, the ShopDiscover cashback for B&N is at 10% right now. And if you don't have that, there's always Bing cashback at 8%.

What's this $5 coupon I hearing about? I get the B&N newsletters, but this one hasn't come for me.
Or is it something I need to ask the clerks about while giving them a wink?

I want to take advantage of this and pick up a couple titles I missed last winter, and just making sure I take full advantage of all the offers.

[quote name='yoricksdeath']B&N has done this sale for the last few years, twice a year. Once in July and another in Nov.[/QUOTE]

Nice... I hope they repeat it in November so I can get Paths Of Glory for cheap.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']What's this $5 coupon I hearing about? I get the B&N newsletters, but this one hasn't come for me.
Or is it something I need to ask the clerks about while giving them a wink?

I want to take advantage of this and pick up a couple titles I missed last winter, and just making sure I take full advantage of all the offers.[/QUOTE]

The $5 coupons are for members only, and are YMMV (Since the restrictions require the membership be purchased between two specified dates). However, most people are finding that B&N doesn't care if the membership was actually purchased between the dates listed. The coupon can be found on DVDTalk's forum (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/533548-barnes-noble-coupon-thread-part-2-a.html).

[quote name='bthoma']Yeah, this doesn't happen very often, but it seems like B&N are starting to make is a semi-annual sale. And these discs are totally worth the money at this price.

Picked up Chungking Express, 400 Blows, Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, and Last Year at Marienbad on Blu-ray.

Just a tip too: for those with Discover cards, the ShopDiscover cashback for B&N is at 10% right now. And if you don't have that, there's always Bing cashback at 8%.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation, makes the sting to my wallet a little bit more bearable.;)

Btw, Im sorta new to the whole Criterion thing and probably feel like the films I bought are a little bit more on the popular/ safe bet route but....

I am curious what people see in the film "Last Year at Marienbad." I know you cant tell crap from a short trailer but it looks so boring. I know Im asking a dumb question because films like music are always subjective. But I would like to better understand these films because I know they are ART and this movie gets mention quite a lot in other forums.

Would love to hear your insight...

[quote name='AceBB6']Thanks for the confirmation, makes the sting to my wallet a little bit more bearable.;)

Btw, Im sorta new to the whole Criterion thing and probably feel like the films I bought are a little bit more on the popular/ safe bet route but....

I am curious what people see in the film "Last Year at Marienbad." I know you cant tell crap from a short trailer but it looks so boring. I know Im asking a dumb question because films like music are always subjective. But I would like to better understand these films because I know they are ART and this movie gets mention quite a lot in other forums.

Would love to hear your insight...[/QUOTE]

For Marienbad (havent seen it yet, but i hauled it) since the story is really insignificant to the concept, just from watching the trailer you may not get a good feel for what is the real draw. From reading reviews, due to not being really thick on story or action and relying on symbolism, it seems a lot of people will find it boring and pretentious

This quote from IMDB is why I picked it up:

""Marienbad" is a love story, although not a "story" in the conventional narrative sense, since the fragmented images cannot be scanned chronologically. The "story" is not told rather it is described using a juxtaposition of physical images, through memories and associations, projected through a space-time continuum, which destroys both linear chronology and fixity. Resnais built a captivating puzzle-like film, a labyrinth, which at time resembles the optical illusions of Escher or the surreal world of Magritte."

Criterion films arent always revered for the story, depending on the selection it can vary from appreciating the director or the acting performance or even just bringing something new to cinema as a whole. Sometimes these appreciations get lost through the ages as many other films copy the styles and flair, but the significance of trailblazing creativity is usually what makes the original implementation stand out.

Anyways, there are a few Criterions I didnt like the actual film content for some reason or another, but there has always been some redeeming aspect such as direction or cinematography or performance or score. AND the number of films Iv'e absolutely loved, has far outweighed any that I disliked.

Im just glad that they have put together such wonderful products that I am able to learn and appreciate the history behind the cinema. Most of the time, the best part for me is checking out the supplements on the disc and reading the booklets of essays and commentary. Even if the film itself was lacking in some aspects, the entire Criterion package is uaully worth it.

I started buying these in like 2000-2001 by focusing on the genre and directors I liked. (at that time mainly Kurosawa and Japanese cinema) Then by researching and testing the waters, I started grabbing some things I normally wouldnt have picked up before. Best thing is that now Im over 100 Criterion titles, and I havent regretted a single purchase.

Your local library probably has quite a few of these that you can check out. Would suggest doing that or netflix for the ones that you might be curious about (but not bold enough to fork out the cost of a disc outright). Back in the early days there werent really a lot of options for watching these, so you really had to take a leap and just buy them. They do tend to hold their value pretty well, so if you pick up one you dont like, its usually not a total loss like when selling a used mainstream dvd. Also, Barnes and Noble's past few sales have been really bad for the wallet because you really cant get them new for this cheap otherwise.

Here's my haul this time around (looks kinda similar to your list :) )

Blus:
Che
Sanjuro/Yojimbo (upgraded)
Kagemusha (upgraded)
Gomorrah
Hunger
Revanche
Mystery Train
Paris, Texas
Last Year at Marienbad
Vivre Sa Vie
Man Who Fell to Earth

DVD:
High and Low
YiYi
Homicide

[quote name='AceBB6']I am curious what people see in the film "Last Year at Marienbad." I know you cant tell crap from a short trailer but it looks so boring. I know Im asking a dumb question because films like music are always subjective. But I would like to better understand these films because I know they are ART and this movie gets mention quite a lot in other forums.

Would love to hear your insight...[/QUOTE]

I think RobotSimp did a good job of addressing this, but I'll throw my opinion in as well. I like other Alain Resnais films - Hiroshima Mon Amour, etc - but I've never seen Marienbad either. From what I've read, the film is a landmark in the history of cinematography, and if the cinematography is so incredible, I figured it would be best to watch the Criterion transfer. I know the film is incredibly divisive, with some people hailing it as one of the best films ever and some people calling it complete trash. So I figured I'd at least like to see what all the fuss is about. And I'm a huge fan of "challenging" films, so odds are I'll enjoy it.

But if you're not a huge film/film history buff, this one might be lost on you (though I'm not really sure though). Someone who's seen the film would be better equipped to answer your question (or I will after I've seen it).

Here's my Blu-ray collection :)
Blus:
1. Che
2. Sanjuro/Yojimbo (upgraded)
3. Kagemusha (upgraded)
4. Days of Heaven
5. M
6. Stagecoach
7. Wings of Desire
8. The Seventh Seal
9. Brakehage Anthology Set
10. The Last Emperor
11. The Leopard
12. Paris, Texas
13. The Red Shoes
14. Black Narcissus
15. Ride with the Devil

Still working on these titles :)
1. Red Desert
2. Hunger
3. Lola Montes
4. Howards End

DHL/USPS are taking fucking forever to deliver this to me. The status hasn't updated since 7/16. Should I be concerned yet? Worst shipping carrier everr

I agree that shipping is terrible. I had the free shipping and it took 9 days to arrive. They didn't even bother updating the tracking number during the whole time.

My friend asked for Breathless for his birthday. Considering the good price on these normally more-expensive DVDs, I obliged. Just placed an order through B&N.com.

[quote name='sfgiantsfan']I agree that shipping is terrible. I had the free shipping and it took 9 days to arrive. They didn't even bother updating the tracking number during the whole time.[/QUOTE]
I had M shipped with free shipping and it came next day. Now only if they would stop the delay with shipping me Yojimbo/Sanjuro.

Elvis Mitchell (the best interviewer around when it comes to filmmakers) just had a chat with Christopher Nolan about INCEPTION, and specifically talked about how Nolan hadn't seen MARIENBAD until he'd shot INCEPTION, which both Mitchell and Nolan thought was incredible because they both consider the movies to be very similar. So, something to chew on.

Just picked up Paris, Texas for $14.07 and The Leopard $18.XX. May come back & pick it up Lola Montes or Red Desert today :)

bread's done
Back