Batman Arkham Asylum - Gen. Discussion & Info

Can someone tell me what the point of hanging upside down on those gargoyles is?

Is it just there to look cool or was their some purpose to it?

[quote name='Flyersfan']Can someone tell me what the point of hanging upside down on those gargoyles is?

Is it just there to look cool or was their some purpose to it?[/QUOTE]
Cut the rope with the batarang when another guy is below them to knock them both out.

Also, it affects the others' psyches, so they'll be scared shitless once you get them down to one or two guys left. They'll start firing at shadows when nothing's there and be easier to take out.

I don't think it was THAT good. Voice acting was top notch and story looks like it will be great. I like the stealth gameplay as well. However, I think the combat is too simplistic, the game is pretty linear, and the camera has lots of glitches.

The combat definitely makes you feel like an expert crime fighter in top physical condition. That's why the combat is a bit simplistic. I'm sure challenge mode will push it to the limit, along with the boss fights. Wish they included a challenge or boss fight in this gigantic (1.58g) demo.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Cut the rope with the batarang when another guy is below them to knock them both out.

Also, it affects the others' psyches, so they'll be scared shitless once you get them down to one or two guys left. They'll start firing at shadows when nothing's there and be easier to take out.[/QUOTE]

Cool, didn't know you could cut the rope. I should've tried that, lol.

But I was talking about Batman hanging upside down on the gargoyles. I don't think there's any moves you can do with that. At least not in the demo.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Cool, didn't know you could cut the rope. I should've tried that, lol.

But I was talking about Batman hanging upside down on the gargoyles. I don't think there's any moves you can do with that. At least not in the demo.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can perform takedowns when hanging upside down via Gargoyles. I did one in the demo, wait for a dude to walk by when you hanging upside down, batman grabs him by the throat, and hangs the guy upside down.

[quote name='Poor2More']Yes you can perform takedowns when hanging upside down via Gargoyles. I did one in the demo, wait for a dude to walk by when you hanging upside down, batman grabs him by the throat, and hangs the guy upside down.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I only did that when I was on top of the gargoyle. Guess I'll play it again and try that. I never saw the option come up :(

I enjoyed the demo. The combat didn't really bother me and I bet it becomes more complex as the game progresses. The only thing that worries me is that the game is pretty heavily discounted at Amazon for the release. This didn't stop me from pre-ordering though.

Thought the demo was pretty cool, very short and they don't show enough moves, camera can get a bit annoying at times, but I definitely see myself having a blast with this game.

Great demo, but it actually brought it from a purchase to a rental for me. It's fun, but it's repetitive. The voicework is absolutely top tier quality, though.

It'll keep me occupied til Ultimate Alliance 2.

Do you guys think the Gamestop exclusive challenge map will just be early access to something you can unlock with a code or something anyway? Isn't that typically how the Gamestop exclusives work? I'd rather get it from Amazon, but don't want to miss those maps.

wow the pc version did look good.. played it a bit last night... the physx additions are bad ass.

UntitledW.jpg

I'm away from home so I haven't downloaded the demo yet, but I'm really interested in this game. The Amazon deal is way too tempting ...

[quote name='guyver2077']wow the pc version did look good.. played it a bit last night... the physx additions are bad ass.[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

Just a heads up, I don't know if you heard or not, but the PC version was delayed until September 15th.

i really liked the demo, huge cock tease it cuts before the boss fight. it wouldnt have killed them to let you battle him. alot of detail in this game, you can see riddlers cell right at the begining and i love all the character bio's you unlock. the audio clips with joker are funny. its really fun playing as batman and the combat is fun to. the only thing i didnt like was sometimes when they close up on a characters face it looks weird, you can see like there face outlined, i hope they iron that out.

I just realized yesterday that I was posting in the 360 thread and not the PS3 one, I am going to buy the PS3 one for the Joker levels. But I think I will just keep posting in here, the guys on the PS3 board don't seem to be as positive on the demo as on here. I loved the demo so I guess I will just hang out over here lol.

I loved the demo. It was very fluid and the stealth and combat were both dynamic and fun. Almost pushing me towards a day one purchase. I will wait for a couple reviews, and it needs to be over 10 hours.

So disappointing. combat is soooo repetitive and simple. hit x, hit x, hit x. Mix in B once in a while and maybe a quicktime Y.

Game does look really great, except the characters faces look scary and grotesque.

[quote name='Scorch']Great demo, but it actually brought it from a purchase to a rental for me. It's fun, but it's repetitive. The voicework is absolutely top tier quality, though.

It'll keep me occupied til Ultimate Alliance 2.[/QUOTE]
...How would you be able to determine whether or not the game is repetitive after playing through the tutorial and one room?

Looks like I'm in the "meh" crowd. Combat was fun for a bit, but ultimately, its a beat-em-up style combat system. Stealth didn't seem to call on the user for intuitiveness, but rather was "sit on this gargoyle, swoop down, then go back up to another gargoyle before someone sees you" (I know there were points where you could hide in a walkway, but I never used it since the enemies rarely walked in that area). Maybe intuitive isn't the word for it, but it didn't feel like "stealth."

The graphics, presentation, framerate, and voice acting were great though.

I might as well try the demo on the pc now also. I'm downloading the PS3 demo now and have played all of the one on the 360. I guess I will do a google search for it tonight and give the demo a try.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Can someone tell me what the point of hanging upside down on those gargoyles is?

Is it just there to look cool or was their some purpose to it?[/QUOTE]

for the same reason that a dog licks his balls.

[quote name='odintal']for the same reason that a dog licks his balls.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Because he can?!?

That being said, I enjoyed the demo.
Sure it's a one button hit for fighting. however, I think the Y button block is a nice option.
It's also nice that they give the stealth option. It gives you a chance to actually enjoy the look of the game (the graphic style is great. IMO).
I think this game will sell like hot cakes.

If no one has yet to answer Flyersfan it is to drop down on them and grab them.

I just got done playing the demo on the PS3 and the controller just didn't feel right. I think that is because I am not used to the controller any more. I think I will end up buying this but only when it hits 20 or 30 bucks. I hope they make it so you can download all the extra content. I still have to say this is the best batman game I have ever played. I don't like stealth games because I think they are to slow but I can find myself getting in to this one. I'm a little pissed that you get to the boss and don't get to fight him.

Very excited for this game. To me, it's like Batman + Metal Gear. Which = awesome, in my book. Only gripe is that the camera is a bit wonky. Hell, I've had this paid off and preordered since April.

[quote name='Rocko']...How would you be able to determine whether or not the game is repetitive after playing through the tutorial and one room?[/QUOTE]

that's what I was thinking. There was barely any combat.....not only that but with the "stealth", story, and the puzzles (not in demo) the parts all seem good enough to overcome any kind of overly repetitive whole. Plus, I seem to like repetitive games.

Well I tried the demo today and I just didn't like it that much. They got the voice actors and the atmosphere right for the game, but I just didn't like the gameplay. I guess it's mostly because I'm just not a fan of stealth games. I'll pick up this game eventually after it hits the $20-30 range just because I'm a Batman fan.

The controls felt a little sluggish but I guess that's to expected with the Unreal engine and nobody seems capable of getting ragdoll physics correct. I liked the demo overall though and can't wait to get my hands on the actual game. Wonder how long the game will be.

[quote name='guyver2077']where is the riddlers cell? right when you start?[/QUOTE]

yeah right when you get your first taste of combat theres 4 cells you can walk in and check out after you beat everyone up. one of the cells has green "?" all over the walls. i took that as being the riddlers cell.

i agree with the other poster as well with the ragdoll pyshics. its a little over the. you punch a guy in the head and his body folds in half when he lands lol

its cool to the more people you talk to the more bio's you unlock and it does a good job telling everyones origin and backstory etc in the bio's.
and the combat seems like it can be as deep as you want it to be. i can just imagine once you unlock the rest of his gadgets. and i really hope the joker is just a timed exclusive for the PS3 because id love to play as him.

Also if you open that screen near the one cell to crall in the duct you will find the riddlers trophy.

Tried the DEMO, seems very Quality in presentation but the demo is so easy makes me feel it should have been released along side the latest movie, to cash in. Hope the overall game isn't so easy and it is longer than an 8~10 hours of traditional gameplay, unless I read/hear otherwise I'll be waiting for sub 30$ price.

I thought this was a great demo. The atmosphere was great, I liked the exploration, and the combat is far from simplistic. Anyone who's tried the challenge maps on expert at GS can tell you that. This was Batman meets Riddick and I had a blast with it overall. I think there was some bad things too, but a lot of the complaints seem a bit...stupid. The best is people saying the game is too linear. It's a ten minute demo, the point is that it's supposed to be linear.

The demo was pretty fun. The game had a great atmosphere, and really made you feel like Batman. The stealth aspect is a refreshing change from previous "beat em up" type Batman games. I'm not a huge fan of the offset camera, and it seems like it could get repetitive though. I think I'm going to just give it a rent.

Sweet demo. The only thing I could really nitpick at is the camera. Seems like Batman takes up too much of the screen when you aren't fighting. Other than that, it was awesome. Yay to Kevin Conroy as Batman (as well as other voice from teh animated series).

[quote name='Kaijufan']Was it just me or did Bob Hastings work as Commissioner Gordon sound different then his work as Gordon on TAS?[/QUOTE]

It sounded so different I thought they just got a new voice actor.

Was it just me or did Bob Hastings work as Commissioner Gordon sound different then his work as Gordon on TAS?

It does sound different, but if you pay close attention, everyone is changing there voice quite a bit for this game.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It sounded so different I thought they just got a new voice actor.[/QUOTE]

His voice sounded so different I was convinced it was someone else voicing Gordon in the game. Glad to know its the same guy from TAS.

[quote name='robin2099']It does sound different, but if you pay close attention, everyone is changing there voice quite a bit for this game.[/QUOTE]
Really? It sounds like to me that Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill and Arleen Sorkin are basically using pretty much the same voices they did for Batman, The Joker and Harley Quinn in TAS.

Looking at IMDB I see that they have the same voice actors for the Penguin, Two Face, Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface and Alfred as they had on TAS.

For some reason Barbra Gordon, Killer Croc and the Riddler have different voice actors.
I would of liked it if they had made this a direct continuation of TAS but I doubt that art style has that much mass market appeal compared to the more realistic style they used.

Edit: Added spoilers to the character list for those who don't want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back